Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

Guantanamo Bay :getin:

Plum Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lammasu posted:

So what you're saying is some kind of Dexter scenario.

I've heard that all the Nordic countries hate each other, so maybe just try spray painting "Sweden sucks, Denmark and Norway rule!!!" all over their parliament building or something before trying that route.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

PeterWeller posted:

Back when he was first making noise about running for president 20-something years ago, I joked that Trump would be America's Caesar and plunge us from a republic into an autocratic empire. I guess the upside is that it won't involve the rampant slaughter of Canadians like they were Gauls.

So he gets shiived by the Senate?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

So he gets shiived by the Senate?

Et tu, Lindsey?

Then fall, Donald.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Artificial Kid posted:

How the gently caress does a judge reach the conclusion that there is no conflict but there is the appearance of a conflict? If a judge rules there is no conflict there is no conflict, and anyone who feels there’s an appearance of conflict need only refer to the ruling that there is in fact no conflict.

So basically consider this as two levels.

The first level, the lower level, is the appearance of conflict.

That level, when it comes to say a judicial conflict of interest, is one where a normal person, if they were told the facts of the case, would say, "That sounds seriously fishy."

So, the classic example would be that the prosecuting attorney is the Judges daughter, and it's known that they have dinner together every Sunday.

The barest reading of those facts would give the impression that there was collusion going on or that the Judge wasn't being impartial in trying her cases.

The second level, the higher level, is actual conflict.
That's where you have the Judge on tape saying to his daughter "look you put this guy in front of me, and I'll convict him. Then we'll split all the prison money. "

At this level, there is enough evidence to prove that collusion is happening.

Essentially, the test is at the lower level because it's not always possible to get enough evidence to prove it at the higher level. And if you left the test only be at the higher level, you'd end up not stopping a load of obvious corrupt situations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

dr_rat posted:

I've heard that all the Nordic countries hate each other, so maybe just try spray painting "Sweden sucks, Denmark and Norway rule!!!" all over their parliament building or something before trying that route.

'Violent death' is not the retirement plan they had in mind, I suspect.

Regardless, as a first-time offender, anything that would ordinarily land you in the nicer prisons would probably just get you deported as a foreigner though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well if the worst case scenario plays out in November you could always apply for asylum.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I think what we’ve all learned here is that Nordic people have no sense of humor regarding their plush, four star hotel like prison accommodations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Very__Regular/status/1770933563103313932

Please let no Hail Mary save him between now and Tuesday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There goes that appeal

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1771144836239761699?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Trump with “yeah I got all that money, ridiculous judge, was gonna use that money on my election, this is communism etc”

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Says RNC gets a cut after legal fees. Hahaha, there is absolutely no possibility RNC gets a cut whatever happens.

Trump wouldn't leave free cash on the table like that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

There goes that appeal

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1771144836239761699?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Trump with “yeah I got all that money, ridiculous judge, was gonna use that money on my election, this is communism etc”

Hello Donald this is your lawer speaking. I am advising you today to please keep posting this poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh huh, yeah

Hmm.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

There goes that appeal

FINANCIAL INTERFERENCE

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, yeah

Hmm.

A whole lotta words and the only ones that aren't lies or libel are "except win an election in 2016 which I wasn't expected to win"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really hope the prosecution submits that tweet (truth?) in their opposition to his motion to forgo the bond pending appeal.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, yeah

Hmm.

Keep posting through it, Donny.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

In non-repost news: https://twitter.com/espinsegall/status/1770816544282431783

Guess they got sick of betraying the country on a daily basis.

Clerking for a judge is "supposed" to be the way you build a resume you use to get some big money job afterwards. LMAO that the clerks are going "nope, Cannon is going to tank my career forever if I stick around."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, yeah

Hmm.

Donald Trump: [on Truth.social] The whole world now knows... , that a Civil Judgment was entered again me, aransom, three weeks ago.
And this... well, this is what waits for the Judge that took my company. This is your Appeals Bond. Four hundred and sixty four million dollars in unmarked bills, just like you wanted. But this is as close as you'll ever get to it. You'll never see one dollar of this money, because no ransom will ever be paid for my company. Not one dime, not one penny. Instead, I'm offering this money as a reward on your head. Dead or alive, it doesn't matter. So congratulations, you've just become a four hundred and sixty four million dollar lottery ticket... except the odds are much, much better. Do you know anyone that wouldn't turn you in for four hundred and sixty four million dollars? I don't think you do. I doubt it. So wherever you go and whatever you do, this money will be tracking you down for all time. And to ensure that it does, to keep interest alive, I'm running a full-page ad in every major newspaper every Sunday... for as long as it takes. But... and this is your last chance... you let me appeal the case , with no bond, I'll withdraw the bounty. With any luck you can simply disappear. Understand... you will never see this money. Not one dollar. So you still have a chance to do the right thing. If you don't, well, then, God be with you, because nobody else on this Earth will be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Bible posted:

Last I heard, he was still spending money copiously and freely. Hopefully the families are getting some of that now.

The vast majority of his fortune is under the court's control, but he's still being paid a salary that he can use as he wishes, and that salary is larger than all of us make combined (though it's still small compared to how much money he could spend before).

This is because the incentives here are a little different from what you're probably thinking. The fundamental purpose of the courts here (both the civil court and the bankruptcy court) isn't to drive the filer to destitution, it's to make sure the creditors eventually gets paid as much of the amount as possible.

Continuing to do his show and hawk his nutritional supplements brings in so much money that from the court's perspective, it's in the creditors' financial interest for him to be in a good enough state of mind to continue doing the show (at least for now, anyway). And while his accounts are under the stewardship of the court, the court's obligation to his creditors is to avoid doing anything that might unnecessarily reduce the amount of money flowing into those accounts. So while the court is busy disentangling his complex financial affairs, the court allows him enough pay to avoid completely wrecking his lifestyle, but only as long as his show keeps bringing in more than enough money to make up for the cost of that salary. Because if he collapses into a drunken pile of depression, a miserable shell of a broken man, he probably won't be able to keep bringing in as much income to those court-controlled accounts that are ultimately destined to go to the Sandy Hook plaintiffs. Though in practice, it seems like that salary isn't quite enough for his taste, given that he's started selling off his own personal property just to keep up with expenses and legal fees.

Note that all of that is just temporary stuff while his accounts are under the custodianship of the court, though. Eventually, when the bankruptcy court is done with its work and has tracked down all of his money, those arrangements will be dismantled as pretty much all of his money is turned over to the plaintiffs. And since he failed to get bankruptcy protection, most of his assets would probably be liquidated at that point too.

That assumes that the plaintiffs don't settle for less, though. If they'd rather get paid part of his wealth now, rather than waiting for the court to find all of it and hand it over to them (which could take a while, since he tried to hide quite a bit of cash in a number of different ways), then they always have the option to negotiate a deal with him in which he willingly hands over some portion of the money in exchange for putting an end to the legal efforts to claim all the rest.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Oh huh, yeah

Hmm.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A TAPE OF SHARK WEEK INTO MY VCR

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm a bit confused about the optics of taking property. There is this movie idea of taking property, and then there is what it could actually amount to. Why does the taking of property have to be super dramatic, with a bunch of cops wearing Joe Biden hats bursting through a wall of MAGA orphans protecting it? Why can't it be some boring rear end procedural paperwork stuff where they are simply expected to turn over the property without nonsense?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Main Paineframe posted:

That assumes that the plaintiffs don't settle for less, though. If they'd rather get paid part of his wealth now, rather than waiting for the court to find all of it and hand it over to them (which could take a while, since he tried to hide quite a bit of cash in a number of different ways), then they always have the option to negotiate a deal with him in which he willingly hands over some portion of the money in exchange for putting an end to the legal efforts to claim all the rest.

I believe in the case of Alex Jones the plaintiffs have made it very clear that they are actually very interested in settling for less and actively dismantling Jones' everything. Of course as you said the courts do not want to do this, that is not their job, so they're mulling over it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shammypants posted:

I'm a bit confused about the optics of taking property. There is this movie idea of taking property, and then there is what it could actually amount to. Why does the taking of property have to be super dramatic, with a bunch of cops wearing Joe Biden hats bursting through a wall of MAGA orphans protecting it? Why can't it be some boring rear end procedural paperwork stuff where they are simply expected to turn over the property without nonsense?

Because I spent a fortune on those hats and weeks making those kids orphans.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Shammypants posted:

It can go that way, everyone just peacefully agrees the law has been executed and move on. This is donnie j trump though so I expect him to barricade himself into trump tower (or whatever property) forcing a swat team to pull him out. Or more likely have an underling do that for him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Truth Social post to convince maga true believers to chain themselves to the doors of Trump Tower.

Meanwhile the deed just gets transferred at the courthouse or whatever. The people chained to the doors manage to Laura Loomer it and don't even block the doors correctly, mildly inconveniencing anyone trying to go in

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Truth Social post to convince maga true believers to chain themselves to the doors of Trump Tower.

Meanwhile the deed just gets transferred at the courthouse or whatever. The people chained to the doors manage to Laura Loomer it and don't even block the doors correctly, mildly inconveniencing anyone trying to go in

And a reminder she almost immediately had to beg the cops to bolt cutter her free after realising she hadn't factored in needing to take a piss.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Raldikuk posted:

It can go that way, everyone just peacefully agrees the law has been executed and move on. This is donnie j trump though so I expect him to barricade himself into trump tower (or whatever property) forcing a swat team to pull him out. Or more likely have an underling do that for him.

Hah! You expect Trump to have personal bravery? Please. He's going to sit down in Florida and whine about it on Truth Social.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cimber posted:

Hah! You expect Trump to have personal bravery? Please. He's going to sit down in Florida and whine about it on Truth Social.

Of course I do, he said he would've charged in to save the children during the Uvalde shooting, and why shouldn't I believe the guy who went to military academy? Medical science has advanced a lot to treat conditions like bone spurs since the Vietnam days.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

Of course I do, he said he would've charged in to save the children during the Uvalde shooting, and why shouldn't I believe the guy who went to military academy? Medical science has advanced a lot to treat conditions like bone spurs since the Vietnam days.

Dodging HIV was his own personal Vietnam after all:patriot:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Alkydere posted:

I believe in the case of Alex Jones the plaintiffs have made it very clear that they are actually very interested in settling for less and actively dismantling Jones' everything. Of course as you said the courts do not want to do this, that is not their job, so they're mulling over it.

The problem is that they can't dismantle everything until the court finds all the money he's stashed away via family, friends, empl shell companies, kickbacks, convoluted business arrangements, and so on. He's probably got tens of millions of dollars hidden from the plaintiffs that way. The bankruptcy court has to track all that stuff down first, and it's taking a while. In the meantime, the court has to hold onto the stuff they've already found.

The plaintiffs can negotiate a settlement with Jones directly in which he voluntarily pays out some portion of his wealth now in exchange for getting to keep the rest, and they've made some offers so they're probably open to doing so, but that's a far cry from "dismantle everything" too.

Also, keep in mind that even if they do dismantle everything, the judgments against Jones don't come with any restrictions on his future business operations beyond "stop talking poo poo about Sandy Hook", so he'll still be able to keep running the Alex Jones show and making a bunch of money that way, even if most of that money ends up going to debt payments.

A lot of that isn't really applicable to Trump, though. Trump hasn't filed for bankruptcy, and as far as we know he hasn't tried to hide a bunch of money. Both of those are for the same reason: "rich, successful businessperson" is a fundamental element of his brand image, which in turn is core to not only his income (he makes a lot of money selling that brand) but also to his political ambitions. And his wealth is largely tied up in non-liquid holdings like real estate, so he can't just give huge "gifts" or "business arrangements" to all his friends with secret promises to pay back most of it later like Jones was doing. Moreover, the fact that the court has placed considerable restrictions on his business operations in NY means that the Trump Organization itself is getting dismantled regardless of how the financial specifics shake out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1771183548927537459?s=20

Son of a b--

the article posted:

Trump will own about 60 percent of Truth Social, which at its current share price would be worth about $3 billion. A lockup agreement will block him from selling the shares for six months.

oh. Phew

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The vast majority of his fortune is under the court's control, but he's still being paid a salary that he can use as he wishes, and that salary is larger than all of us make combined (though it's still small compared to how much money he could spend before).

This is because the incentives here are a little different from what you're probably thinking. The fundamental purpose of the courts here (both the civil court and the bankruptcy court) isn't to drive the filer to destitution, it's to make sure the creditors eventually gets paid as much of the amount as possible.

Continuing to do his show and hawk his nutritional supplements brings in so much money that from the court's perspective, it's in the creditors' financial interest for him to be in a good enough state of mind to continue doing the show (at least for now, anyway). And while his accounts are under the stewardship of the court, the court's obligation to his creditors is to avoid doing anything that might unnecessarily reduce the amount of money flowing into those accounts. So while the court is busy disentangling his complex financial affairs, the court allows him enough pay to avoid completely wrecking his lifestyle, but only as long as his show keeps bringing in more than enough money to make up for the cost of that salary. Because if he collapses into a drunken pile of depression, a miserable shell of a broken man, he probably won't be able to keep bringing in as much income to those court-controlled accounts that are ultimately destined to go to the Sandy Hook plaintiffs. Though in practice, it seems like that salary isn't quite enough for his taste, given that he's started selling off his own personal property just to keep up with expenses and legal fees.

Note that all of that is just temporary stuff while his accounts are under the custodianship of the court, though. Eventually, when the bankruptcy court is done with its work and has tracked down all of his money, those arrangements will be dismantled as pretty much all of his money is turned over to the plaintiffs. And since he failed to get bankruptcy protection, most of his assets would probably be liquidated at that point too.

I hope you're right, but people have been saying this for a good long while now, and those families haven't gotten poo poo, he has publicly sworn to never give them poo poo, and the courts seem to be doing poo poo-all about it, all while he is spending ungodly amounts of money freely.

To the untrained eye, he seems to just be allowed to flaunt the judgement without any consequence at all. If any normal person tried that, they would be immediately and harshly dealt with by the courts, so its hard to believe this is them working as they normally do. I've fortunately not had to deal with bankruptcy or civil penalties personally, but members of my poor-as-poo poo family have, and believe me, justice is incredibly swift and merciless when you aren't Alex Jones.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 22, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Collateral for loans

[edit] Or maybe not?
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1771162687361130525/photo/1

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DJT is gonna be a meme stock, so the value is unrelated to its underlying performance

And any guarantor who allows locked up stock to be used as collateral deserves to lose their money and be investigated for an illegal campaign contribution

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Pre market valuations are bullshit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Alkydere posted:

Fair warning, I may have details wrong. From listening to Knowledge Fight episodes the parents offered to settle with him on some truly insultingly low value compared to the total judgement, like not even 10%. Jones just had to continue being his usual obstinate dickhead self, screamed about witch hunts crisis actors deep state antifa Illuminati plants and unfair trials or some poo poo and it never went anywhere. The last few episodes though he's been getting noticeably more drunk on-air and frequently not even showing up. When he does it's 50/50 whether he'll cold read more head lines that mean the exact opposite of his point, or spiral into rage or depression about how bad he's being hosed and the revenge he'll get one day.

Personally I have him pegged as pulling a Budd Dwyer one day after getting rip-rear end poo poo-faced on air.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Pre market valuations are bullshit.

Yeah even meme stonk status aside who in their right mind is valuing a Truth Social IPO at $5 billion

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah even meme stonk status aside who in their right mind is valuing a Truth Social IPO at $5 billion

Saudi and Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cimber posted:

Saudi and Russia

Why? They can’t buy Trump’s shares at that price for another six months, so they’d just be setting enormous buy orders to enrich the outside investors that have bought DWAC in anticipation of meme profits.