Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

hello, this is previous sanctions on commodity exports and tech imports, physical goods that should be easy enough to control the flow of calling

hello yes? that succeeded, right?

oh, actually it introduced some temporary inconveniences before becoming somewhat irrelevant? oh.

inb4 MS/AWS/GCloud see a huge influx of Kazakh, Estonian, etc. customers

a bunch of ops folks are gonna have a poo poo few months migrating the nominal ownership of poo poo, but absent targeted enforcement of "can you explain why this tiny company in a country that traditionally has a relatively small software industry suddenly has so much new business?" cases, we're mostly gonna end up shuffling pieces around the board. de facto ownership of digital assets is not something anyone's gonna bother tracing past the legal compliance necessity

some middlemen in countries people in the US doesn't much think about gonna make fukken bank tho

Isn't the whole point of a sanctions regime like this "Death by a thousand cuts"? It seems like forcing Russian companies and intermediaries to pay fronts is exactly in line with that concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hello, this is previous sanctions on commodity exports and tech imports, physical goods that should be easy enough to control the flow of calling

oh, actually it introduced some temporary inconveniences before becoming somewhat irrelevant? oh.

a bunch of ops folks are gonna have a poo poo few months migrating the nominal ownership of poo poo, but absent targeted enforcement of "can you explain why this tiny company in a country that traditionally has a relatively small software industry suddenly has so much new business?" cases, we're mostly gonna end up shuffling pieces around the board. de facto ownership of digital assets is not something anyone's gonna bother tracing past the legal compliance necessity

some middlemen in countries people in the US doesn't much think about gonna make fukken bank tho

Hmm yes sanctions aren't watertight better not do anything at all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russia's done a lot of work to make their government and defense enterprises capable of running on their sovereign Internet. But this could be a major challenge for the Russian private sector to overcome if the Government does activate the sovereign Internet, because there isn't a good replacement for the big 3 cloud service providers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

worst case scenario is that it has little to no impact because everything is migrated in a timely manner, but that still requires massive amounts of spending to reach the previous level of functionality so it's realistically still a big win in terms of sanction effectiveness

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wrong Theory posted:

A bunch of senior officers are about to hear from their online girlfriends for the last time and they don't even know it. ;(

Lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

difference between internet sanctions and other sanctions is that they can just turn off your nation by geoIP. Sure, services can be accessed from other countries, but as of today Russia can't access a significant amount of the internet. Anything on Azure, which includes Office stuff, is inaccessible from anywhere inside Russia without a VPN.

ofc, a VPN is a trivial way around it that doesn't require going to Estonia

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29796

quote:

Kyiv Confirms Drone Attack on Russia's Engels Air Base

The Saratov governor reported drone activity, while Ukrainian special services told Kyiv Post that Ukrainian intelligence is behind the Engels drone attack.

Another Russian airbase strike, this time some 600km past the border.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 20, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RFC2324 posted:

difference between internet sanctions and other sanctions is that they can just turn off your nation by geoIP. Sure, services can be accessed from other countries, but as of today Russia can't access a significant amount of the internet. Anything on Azure, which includes Office stuff, is inaccessible from anywhere inside Russia without a VPN.

ofc, a VPN is a trivial way around it that doesn't require going to Estonia

they actually blocked access to random (not just Microsoft-owned stuff like O365) poo poo running on azure, not just purchase of services from russia? that seems rather drastic, though i am somewhat amused that the block's now coming from the provider direction after RKN's failed attempts to block Telegram a few years back instead just knocked out large arbitrary swathes of the provider networks and took out local services

but yeah, russia is not the place i'd expect considerable disruption from loss of (official) access to cloud providers; dealing with internet blocks is not exactly something they're new to

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/MrKovalenko/status/1770432112723710221?s=20

quote:

In particular, Russia will create 2 new ground armies (more than 80,000 total) and 30 additional military formations, including 16 brigades (from 32,000 to 128,000 troops total) and 14 divisions (from 128,000 to 560,000 total). Simple calculations show that the proposed boost in "cannon fodder" is a minimum of 240,000 and a maximum of 768,000.

Here we go.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jesus, I feel very sorry for all of the non-Moscovites that are gonna get shunted into the meat grinder for no reason other than "was born in the wrong part of Russia"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I still keep wondering when the Russians will get tired of dying, seems like we're not there yet.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It happened one time and it took WW I levels of casualties with a weak government.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
when they are pulling people off the streets of moscow to go to the front then they might get tired of it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Voyager I posted:

It happened one time and it took WW I levels of casualties with a weak government.

it also took a harsh winter and a famine, and was preceeded by several failed, softer revolutions over the previous years/generations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I still keep wondering when the Russians will get tired of dying, seems like we're not there yet.

*Flips through Russian history book*

Hmmm going to be a while yet.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

PurpleXVI posted:

Wonder how the Ukrainians are going to deal with half a million more Russians when they’re already having manpower, ammunition and equipment issues.

Maybe those strikes on the awacs and Engels fields coincide with the F-16 deployment and they’ll be using air power to lopside the kill ratios in Ukraines favour.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Wonder how the Ukrainians are going to deal with half a million more Russians when they’re already having manpower, ammunition and equipment issues.

Maybe those strikes on the awacs and Engels fields coincide with the F-16 deployment and they’ll be using air power to lopside the kill ratios in Ukraines favour.

More than willing to bet - those Russian units don't exist, and were entirely for the Russian viewers to hear to assuage ideas that Russia might lose.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I mean, the Russians are also having ammunition, equipment and training issues with the troops they already have. Just getting those 500k troops to the front lines is going to tax their denuded supply of trucks and APC's, then you need trucks to keep them supplied(and there are already Russian soldiers talking about having to eat vermin and videos of them needing to drink condensation off basement ceilings), you need those supplies to exist...

More troops for the Russians absolutely isn't good, but I think there are some pretty open questions about how those troops get to the fighting and in what state they get there.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

More than willing to bet - those Russian units don't exist, and were entirely for the Russian viewers to hear to assuage ideas that Russia might lose.

Would they even be able to supply two extra armies in the field if they do exist? Logistics has been a critical problem for the Russian army since day 1 and it doesn't seem to have stopped being a problem yet

Still not a war though

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Currently the Russian troops are fighting just fine, per Mike Kofman. In the most recent WotR update he talks about how effective the brutal punitive environment is to motivate the soldiers, and how they've adopted the tactics of Wagner to be much more effective than they once were, plus a 5-to-1 fires advantage.

Ukraine is going to have to conscript a lot of young folks asap to get them trained in time to counter a potential Russian manpower boost. Though the fact that UA is resorting to penal battalions too seems like the political will to do so is extremely weak.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

glynnenstein posted:

Currently the Russian troops are fighting just fine, per Mike Kofman. In the most recent WotR update he talks about how effective the brutal punitive environment is to motivate the soldiers, and how they've adopted the tactics of Wagner to be much more effective than they once were, plus a 5-to-1 fires advantage.

Ukraine is going to have to conscript a lot of young folks asap to get them trained in time to counter a potential Russian manpower boost. Though the fact that UA is resorting to penal battalions too seems like the political will to do so is extremely weak.

Not to doubt Mike but they don't seem actually capable of any real gains in advancing, so I don't know how that comes across as 'fighting fine'

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure Russia's forthcoming manpower advantage could be largely mitigated (as it already has been to some degree) if the US and other European allies stopped dragging their feet on giving Ukraine the weapons and ammo they need.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The Door Frame posted:

Would they even be able to supply two extra armies in the field if they do exist? Logistics has been a critical problem for the Russian army since day 1 and it doesn't seem to have stopped being a problem yet

Still not a war though

Belgorod is right there up on the frontline. If Russia raises another 500k soldiers, they are probably not going to join the existing frontline, they are going to open a new one from the north. Again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

psydude posted:

I'm pretty sure Russia's forthcoming manpower advantage could be largely mitigated (as it already has been to some degree) if the US and other European allies stopped dragging their feet on giving Ukraine the weapons and ammo they need.

I think hoping for the US to supply Ukraine again is a pipe dream, and I think there's a genuine worry that a lot of the sanctions slowing down Russia's ability to re-arm will evaporate after the next elections.

At least the EU is taking things more seriously, and the Czechs seem about to supply a very large amount of shells.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Tuna-Fish posted:

Belgorod is right there up on the frontline. If Russia raises another 500k soldiers, they are probably not going to join the existing frontline, they are going to open a new one from the north. Again.
Here's hoping some NATO country or another finally gets around to stationing troops on the Ukraine-Belarus border. Would be good to free up Ukrainian forces and create a tripwire to thwart any additional forays through a "non-belligerent".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

I also found it interesting how the article bemoans the dismissal of Zaluzhny as if to say "any failures will be Zelensky's fault. Comrade Zaluzhny tried to warn us!"

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

Not to doubt Mike but they don't seem actually capable of any real gains in advancing, so I don't know how that comes across as 'fighting fine'

His point was that Russians still seem motivated (and not always through fear) to go on the offense. And there are a lot of instances of them committing suicide rather being captured or wait to be rescued.

I like when he brought up how they are intercepting a lot of phone calls from wives/girlfriends urging their loved one to sign up for these assault battalions for the bonus pay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dick Ripple posted:

His point was that Russians still seem motivated (and not always through fear) to go on the offense. And there are a lot of instances of them committing suicide rather being captured or wait to be rescued.

I like when he brought up how they are intercepting a lot of phone calls from wives/girlfriends urging their loved one to sign up for these assault battalions for the bonus pay.

But as far as we know they haven't been paying out at all.

And being motivated to go on the offensive does not mean being effective at an offensive. Mysteriously it has not turned into major gains for the Russian military.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't think so. There's still a shitton of Russian air defences protecting the airspace.

No, what Ukraine needs is a fuckton of artillery shells. From all I've read and heard from the experts they've been pretty consistent that the biggest factor in this war so far hasn't been the Javelin, nor western tanks and IVFs, or any specific western gear, it's been artillery. And they're also saying that the west doesn't seem to have the necessary artillery shell production capacity, never mind stockpiles.

And as much as I'd like to see the mighty Viper bombing the poo poo out of Russian positions, their air defences are thick and nasty. Even with (hypothetically speaking) a fully equipped and trained anti-SAM F-16 squadron ("wild weasels"), with HTS pods and fully stocked with HARMs, they'd have a hell of a lot of difficult work ahead of them to dismantle the air defence network, to pave the way for more airstrikes.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 22, 2024

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Are the majority of Ukraine’s ECM/e-War assets Soviet based? Are there any aged out platforms in NATO inventory that might make an impact?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

But as far as we know they haven't been paying out at all.

And being motivated to go on the offensive does not mean being effective at an offensive. Mysteriously it has not turned into major gains for the Russian military.

In regards to pay, hopefully that is the case as not paying the people with weapons can cause problems. I also wonder why the Ukrainians are not paying their soldiers more to increase numbers, as that is reported to being the primary factor for Russian recruiting numbers.

And as most armies learned in WW1, the machine gun > elan. But it does pose a problem for Ukraine, in that Russian soldiers in aggregate have good and/or sufficient morale.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Dick Ripple posted:

In regards to pay, hopefully that is the case as not paying the people with weapons can cause problems. I also wonder why the Ukrainians are not paying their soldiers more to increase numbers, as that is reported to being the primary factor for Russian recruiting numbers.

Being invaded and losing about a quarter of their country, including what I understand to be very economically active sections in Donetsk and Crimea, as well as the ripple effects of having to yoink a bunch of working-age men out of the economy to defend the country, businesses getting blown up, etc. probably means that Ukraine cannot simply magic up a bunch of money to pay people extra with, especially since, unlike Russia, they would actually try to pay.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.ft.com/content/98f15b60-bc4d-4d3c-9e57-cbdde122ac0c

quote:

US urged Ukraine to halt strikes on Russian oil refineries

Washington told Kyiv that drone attacks risk driving up crude prices and provoking retaliation

One person said that the White House had grown increasingly frustrated by brazen Ukrainian drone attacks that have struck oil refineries, terminals, depots and storage facilities across western Russia, hurting its oil production capacity.

Helima Croft, a former CIA analyst now at RBC Capital Markets, recently noted that Ukraine had shown it could strike most of the oil export infrastructure in western Russia, putting about 60 per cent of the country’s exports at risk.

The US objections come as Biden faces a tough re-election battle this year with petrol prices on the rise, increasing almost 15 per cent this year to around $3.50 a gallon.

lmao, gently caress right off. Russian oil terminals getting blown up is, in fact, good and awesome.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I wonder who in the White House said that... It has been reported that Gazprom and other Russian owned oil/gas firms have been helping pay for the war (salaries, reconstruction, ect.) effort directly. Which I am sure they have not budgeted for, and could be a large reason why so many executives have been commiting suicide lately.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29896

quote:

Closing Stable Doors - Russian Energy Companies Now Purchasing Anti-Drone Equipment

For over a year, Russian politicians and propagandists have been telling its oil, energy, and infrastructure businesses they should consider defending themselves from Ukrainian drone attacks.

Constant attacks by Ukrainian drones on Russian oil refineries have already led to a sharp rise in domestic prices for gasoline and other types of fuel in Russia and a temporary ban on the export of oil products. Even before last weekend’s strike, Bloomberg said that Ukrainian raids had likely affected as much as 12 percent of the country's refining capacity.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/27/russia-to-ban-gasoline-exports-for-six-months

quote:

Russia orders halt on petrol exports

Coming amid attacks on refineries, ban is intended to avert shortages and spiking prices on the domestic market.

I hadn't heard about this one at all until now. My understanding is that Russia has more exports of crude than refined oil products, but this still seems pretty bad for them, and also a hint that Russia remembers a good number of uprisings have started due to rising fuel prices or removed fuel subsidies...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, gently caress right off. Russian oil terminals getting blown up is, in fact, good and awesome.

It drives me goddamned insane. Either it's a war or it's not. Quit playing this coy bullshit of we want you to hurt Russia, but not too bad.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
IMF approves $880 million loan payment for Ukraine

quote:

The executive board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) approved a third review of Ukraine's $15.6 billion loan program. This decision enables the release of $880 million designated for budget support, bringing the total disbursements to $5.4 billion, the IMF announced on March 21.

The international lender emphasized that Ukraine continues to face exceptionally high risks, mainly due to uncertainties related to the ongoing war with Russia and the outlook for external financial support. However, Ukraine mission chief Gavin Gray said that the IMF anticipates the war in Ukraine to de-escalate by the end of 2024, according to Reuters.

Gray said that Ukraine has maintained a robust performance on the IMF program throughout its initial year, meeting all but one of the quantitative performance criteria. The single discrepancy pertained to tax revenues, which was of minor significance.

Ukraine is expected to receive the funds in the coming days, according to Gray.

Kristalina Georgieva, managing director of the IMF, emphasized that Ukraine's macroeconomic and financial stability has been preserved despite "enormous social and economic costs" due to Russia's full-scale invasion.

"The economy has been resilient, with stronger-than-expected macroeconomic outturns in 2023. Ukraine’s performance and commitment under the program has continued to be strong," she said. "Steadfast reform momentum to enhance anti-corruption and governance frameworks, including ensuring the effectiveness of anticorruption institutions, will be essential to help contain fiscal risks, enhance growth and support the path to EU accession."

An external commercial debt treatment in line with program parameters will help "create the needed space for critical spending and restore debt sustainability," she added.

Expected to wind down this year? Well, either way, at least they're getting some money they need

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

GD_American posted:

It drives me goddamned insane. Either it's a war or it's not. Quit playing this coy bullshit of we want you to hurt Russia, but not too bad.

Well, it's not a "Special Military Operation" any more.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

PurpleXVI posted:

I saw another comment that the authors of this article are based in India and quoting unnamed White House officials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

I'm pretty sure they're going to get their cheeks clapped if the next front touches NATO soil.

Big tough anti West bad guys haven't really been pushing the west, they've been kicking their cousin.