Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze is spoiler'd due to bereavement arc.

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

OK there's a layer to this.

The Finnish phrase used "Gizan hiekka", Giza sand, sounds very similar to "kissanhiekka", literally cat's sand, but in practise the term for kitty litter. "Kissa" = cat, "kissan", the genetive form of cat and then "hiekka", sand. Someone might ask why "kissanhiekka" is a compound word, but "Gizan hiekka" isn't, and the reason for that is that Giza is a name, while kissa is a generic noun.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

I can't believe The Lockhorns is finally over.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 13, 1962)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/21/04

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 11/13-15/52

This is probably the lamest way Messick has gotten out of a story since "It was all a dream!"

Smokey Stover 6/26/60

Everyday Movies 5/12/37

"Would you blieve it, Duke, I weigh only 40 lbs. more than Clark Gable."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/13-15/43

Closer Than We Think! 6/26/60

Yeah, it's Project Chariot. Here's a contemporary article on the project by Project Plowshare director Edward Teller, under the typically modest title "We're Going to Work Miracles."

Reading up on the Project Plowshare proposals is simultaneously amusing and horrifying. My favorite is the one where they wanted to use 500 nukes to cut a canal across southern Israel from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean.

But it's still not quite as silly as Elon's suggestion that we could terraform Mars by nuking its polar ice caps....

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 22, 2024

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Holy poo poo I first learned about Project Chariot when visiting a museum in Anchorage full of other instances of indigenous people treated disposably, so seeing Project Chariot in CTTT is loving wild.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hulk Hogan is a plugger confirmed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

Saoshyant posted:

Wallace the Brave

Correct.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aces High posted:

back in September, I decided to read Luann from the start (because it was one of the first dailies I read as a kid, but that was already in the late 90s/early 00s, so I was curious how it started) and honestly? Brad's always been a dumbass

Is this a self harm post

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If I say yes will we be freed from the Luann menace

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(4/22/1994)

(4/23/1994)

Ziggy

(10/16/1971)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Saoshyant posted:

Wallace the Brave
Wishing to be Garfield, knowing that you're Ziggy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Wishing to be Garfield, knowing that you're Ziggy.

But glad you are not Brad.

Is Toni wanting to have a baby with Santa, or me?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

And now for something completely different!
MICKEY & RUDY, January 7-11, 1984
Winter 1985: Mickey & Rudy

Glad to see the job market hasn't changed in 40 years
Note 19:

quote:

In 1985, the new student editors wanted to try out some new cartoonists. Spence and I were asked to step aside. It's hard now to remember how Mickey & Rudy ended up in the paper. My attempts to get Thorn syndicated were getting bogged down, and I began trying out some new ideas. Mickey is essentially a Thorn look-a-like, and these 5 strips are all that I did.
And then from the interview, he agrees the term off was okay for him so he could concentrate on syndication attempts, then:

quote:

I was surprised to see those in the packet you sent me. Didn't remember those being in the paper. My focus for the next couple of years was working toward a syndicate contract, and Mickey & Rudy was me trying my hand at what I thought would be something editors would like. It was a serviceable strip about a young college student and her talking cat. Don't know why I stopped.

Tomorrow will start the final trimester, Spring 1985. I'll be finished the day I go on vacation, so this is working out perfectly!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 22, 2024

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/26/60

Yeah, it's Project Chariot. Here's a contemporary article on the project by Project Plowshare director Edward Teller, under the typically modest title "We're Going to Work Miracles."

Reading up on the Project Plowshare proposals is simultaneously amusing and horrifying. My favorite is the one where they wanted to use 500 nukes to cut a canal across southern Israel from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean.

But it's still not quite as silly as Elon's suggestion that we could terraform Mars by nuking its polar ice caps....

Every time I see Project Chariot come up I have to say go read The Firecracker Boys. Great book that goes into the detail of the project, and then the fight against it by the local indigenous population and biologists studying the region.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

As an uncle myself, I think I'm taking "uncles are just brothers that get older but never grow up" as a personal motto.

Bizarro

I would have gone with the more straightforward joke of a really bland and milquetoast band called "Beige Against the Machine".

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

I have some slight quibbles about the gravity and aerodynamics of this, but what the heck, I'll allow it. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

CommonShore posted:

Is this a self harm post

I actually had that same thought when making that post

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

I have some slight quibbles about the gravity and aerodynamics of this, but what the heck, I'll allow it. :v:
They're in space on an alien planet, it's fine.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Haifisch posted:

I know it's 80s MW so everyone is always the worst forever, but this "how dare you not just accept the first warm body to come your way and then say you don't want to be single?" poo poo is extra the worst.
The only thing wrong she did was apparently laugh at his proposal, but if he really did propose to her after only a few dates that's like... him moving scarily fast and she definitely shouldn't have said yes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I find it very endearing how Bizarro is hell bent on drawing every conceivable pun in existence.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

This is something that heroes learn in school.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Flash with that almost-falling-to-your-death rizz

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Comic Strips 2024: Drink this water that is clearly not tequila.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 27, 1936)

Peanuts (March 25, 1977)

Crankshaft

What would camo be for a school bus in the suburbs? An airbrushed mural of SUVs and middle-aged white women calling the cops on black kids?

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (February 27-29, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 25, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 20-22, 1944)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 11-16, 2005)

Time for a few weeks of Adobe Illustrator art! We'll be back to hand drawn art soon (April 17, 2006), but right now we're in the era where Allison isn't really confident in his art style, so it's computer-drawn for a bit.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Wallace the Brave

I don't have any credible counters.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

THE OUIET
SECTION

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

I likely won't be back to post before Monday the 1st. I'll megapost when I get home (unless someone is just desperate to fill in). Happy week!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Not the most original observation, but one that's never not relevant.

Huxley posted:

I likely won't be back to post before Monday the 1st. I'll megapost when I get home (unless someone is just desperate to fill in). Happy week!

It's a GoComics strip, I'll add it to my rotation for the week. Maybe YOU can go a week without A+J, but I can't!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

JethroMcB posted:

Maybe YOU can go a week without A+J, but I can't!

Probably the strongest anyone has ever felt about A+J, and I respect the heck out of it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Who is, Ted? :smith:

Sally Forth can be annoying sometimes, but every so often it hits.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Saoshyant posted:

Probably the strongest anyone has ever felt about A+J, and I respect the heck out of it.

A&J rules. One of the best in thread.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

^^^ it really, really is.

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

I admit it, I was not expecting a pun like that from this strip.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Nonsense, onions are a perfectly fine food to subsist solely upon.

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 23, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 24, 1916)

$500 in 1916 is $14,235.14 today

Polly and Her Pals(February 21, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 14, 1919)

Us Boys()

No strip for March 22, 1912

The Gumps(April 20, 1917)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

A&J rules. One of the best in thread.

It's also kind of a relationship goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

I love this – “oh, by the way, I have a seven-and-a-half-foot-tall statue of a xenomorph in my home office, no big.”