Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh, okay. I bought a raccoon shaped somewhat like that for a friend of mine.

Forgive me for thinking it's a sex thing.

No it's totally a sex thing for that lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I'm curious what the hell is going on with house cleaning husband.
-He's become kinda OCD about cleaning the house, anything that *feels* dirty needs to be ripped out and replaced with new *CLEAN* items and it will never end. She'll eventually find him in a puddle of hand sanitizer, shaved of all hair, muttering about his need to be pure.
-He's a lazy piece of poo poo that hasn't actually been cleaning or doing much and keeps delaying because he's developing mental illness levels of procrastination.
-He loves being away from his wife and doesn't want to live with her, he's doing everything he can to be apart for as long as possible but doesn't have the spine to just divorce or talk about things.
-He's developed HGTV brain worms and thinks he has to handyman self-renovate everything in the house to be 2024 trendy because so much of it is horribly dated 2019 design.
-He hosed something up really bad trying to do-it-yourself and is desperately trying to figure out how to fix it without calling in outside help because he's a sales engineer and should be able to figure out basic joist engineering himself.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Be the change you want to see in the world

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
The house cleaning dude is obviously renovating the master bathroom as a surprise for his wife. I bet he’s just finished cutting the joists so she can have a sunken tub!

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Kurieg posted:

AITA for proving to my boyfriend the “nerds” never cared about the “popular” kids in high school?

I've seen a lot of people who thought that something huge for them was huge for everyone. On the nerd side, I've run into people who were heavy into raiding in old WOW and talked about how the whole server was looking up to them because they were so elite. When I mentioned that the people I played with didn't put a whole lot of attention to raid guilds and mostly remembered to 'which guild always bails on dungeon runs after the boss they want' to avoid them in PUGs and definitely didn't even know the names of individuals, they reacted similarly to Mr. Football here.

At least he's only twenty-four and learning that nobody gives a poo poo about high school. Some guys carry that around with them well into their forties.

We all remember in 1966 when Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My favorite part about that is he absolutely refused to believe his wife, to the point of calling her a liar, because he insisted that she, like every girl in the school, was secretly lusting after him for his success. To the point that the only way she could get him to stop was to categorically shut him down. If he hadn't pushed he could have lived in his delusion.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Coca Koala posted:

The house cleaning dude is obviously renovating the master bathroom as a surprise for his wife. I bet he’s just finished cutting the joists so she can have a sunken tub!

That doesn't add up, he's ALREADY married

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'd bet real money that the OP in that high school story never attended a single game that her now-boyfriend played in, as she was too busy studying to pass her four AP classes, or taking SAT tutoring, or working on her extracurriculars, in order to build the perfect college application so she can into her preferred ivy. If she ever had an evening or a Saturday afternoon free, there are dozens of things she'd rather be doing than attend a high school football game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

At least he's only twenty-four and learning that nobody gives a poo poo about high school. Some guys carry that around with them well into their forties.

Well, he did score three touchdowns in a single game. :patriot:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coca Koala posted:

:females: fuckin' love sunken tubs, she'll be embarrassed she was complaining about living at the in-laws when she sees that sweet M-Fer.

FMguru posted:

I'd bet real money that the OP in that high school story never attended a single game that her now-boyfriend played in, as she was too busy studying to pass her four AP classes, or taking SAT tutoring, or working on her extracurriculars, in order to build the perfect college application so she can into her preferred ivy. If she ever had an evening or a Saturday afternoon free, there are dozens of things she'd rather be doing than attend a high school football game.

Like 75% of the guys who got into prestigious colleges, including our class valedictorian, were on the football team.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

r/relationships:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kurieg posted:

AITA for proving to my boyfriend the “nerds” never cared about the “popular” kids in high school?

Tell me you peaked in High School without telling me you peaked in High School

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Elviscat posted:

Like 75% of the guys who got into prestigious colleges, including our class valedictorian, were on the football team.

Pretty sure the jock-nerd dichotomy is a thing that only existed in the heads of mid-century screenwriters. In other words, it's entirely the work of the real weirdos and freaks of high school - theatre kids.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

MajorBonnet posted:

I was reading this one earlier and the reddit comments made me feel like I was taking crazy pills. So many of them were saying that if she wanted her parents attention she should do something to earn it.

This thread moves fast, but I just got through reading those comments as well, and I thought the same about crazy pills. Comments treating family dynamics like a competition were getting upvotes, comments about the importance of parents giving attention and support to all their kids were getting downvotes. Peak Reddit brain.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Dude, my graduating class had almost 350 people. You think I knew who everybody was? I can name 2 football players; one because he was next to me in homeroom because of alphabetical seating arrangements, and one because he ended up the class president.

And I never went to a single football game. I couldn't have cared less about a bunch of people I didn't know.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm not entirely certain that my school had a football team at all.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hopes Fall posted:

Dude, my graduating class had almost 350 people. You think I knew who everybody was? I can name 2 football players; one because he was next to me in homeroom because of alphabetical seating arrangements, and one because he ended up the class president.

And I never went to a single football game. I couldn't have cared less about a bunch of people I didn't know.

lol my graduating class had over 900, I didn't even think about who was in what grade

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

All I remember about my (Canadian) high school football team is that they had an undefeated season and then lost the championship game. Losers!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My graduating class had 30 and barely had any identifiable cliques because everyone's in multiple overlapping social circles and activities. At those numbers there's no real room for competition in extracurriculars since they need warm bodies, if you show up to practices you're in. Maybe there's some intermediate size between that and large anonymous classes where people give a poo poo about cliques, but probably not.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol, just lol if you weren’t too much of an antisocial loner in HS to know or care what the names of the “popular” kids were

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

None of the sports teams at my old high school were very good, so nobody really cared about them. The only real divide was basically between the college-bound kids and the druggies and flunkies who disappeared midway though high school either to drop out and :okpos: all day, or went to the tech school to learn how to change oil.

My graduating class had about 300 people in it, and I probably never interacted with well over half of them.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Hughlander posted:

Tell me you peaked in High School without telling me you peaked in High School

I peaked in high school. The Molly was that good.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
Squishables > Squishmallows, any day.

Anyway, it's always a bit painful to read about someone thinking they're a lot funnier than they actually are, but this one was especially rough. A larger-than-life-sized puppet, really?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My high school very much had a popular kids vs nerds thing going on in 98-00. The only popular kids name I remember is sadly the most popular guy who was extremely nice to everyone and went on to be a very successful dancer appearing in multiple movies and tv shows, but recently succumbed to suicide a couple of years ago. He was a really wonderful guy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AITA for using a gift card that my roommate’s students got for her?

quote:

Good morning. I know by the title it looks like I “stole” from my roommate but I think there is more to the story.

My roommate is a middle school math teacher and her students got her a $100 gift card to Texas road house for Christmas. She loves her students but she was kind of mean to them because she spent the afternoon talking about how “stupid” they were to not know that she hates chain restaurants.

The gift card has sat in our little telephone nook since she brought it home and save for that day she has never mentioned it again. My ex boyfriend has been having a really hard time, he lost his job, his car broke down and he had a huge falling out with his family and friends. I wanted to do something nice for him so without even really thinking I grabbed the gift card and took him out for dinner.

My roommate is so mad at me and said she was “saving” the gift card for when her parents visit over the summer. I asked her if she remembered what she said about and if she was saving it, why not put it away? She said of course she remembered but she can’t afford to give away a $100 meal and she said that I’ve had some silver coins sitting in the same spot (long story) and she never once dreamed of taking them. I said a gift card is a little different than $200 worth of silver coins. She said how exactly. I said if she really didn’t know then she’s being too obtuse to have the conversation. She said “you are being such a b——“ and went and slammed her door.

RON HOWARD: But there was not more to the story.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for using a gift card that my roommate’s students got for her?

ages: 45 and 50 years

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The silver has value, the gift card doesn't. Which is why I was able to exchange the gift card for goods and services.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The roommate was not justified in taking that gift card. But karmically the teacher did deserve to lose it after calling the people.whongave it to her stupid because she hates chain restaurants. But it was not the op's place to fulfill that karma.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
At my school the most successful football kid hung with the nerds and weirdos. He was alright.

The second most successful football kid was also a bit of a weirdo. He once deliberately stabbed himself in the gum with a pencil. He signed to an AFL team, but his girlfriend at the time accidentally caused a woman's death via radio prank, and I don’t think the relationship or career really went much further after that. I think he ended up a real estate salesman.

Anyway, I don’t recommend rural Australian public schools to anybody.

Creature fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 22, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Halloween Jack posted:

Lol, thank you. I heard that in my head when I read the very beginning, and it turned out to be true.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Creature posted:

At my school the most successful football kid hung with the nerds and weirdos. He was alright.

The second most successful football kid was also a bit of a weirdo. He once deliberately stabbed himself in the gum with a pencil. He signed to an AFL team, but his girlfriend at the time accidentally caused a woman's death via radio prank, and I don’t think the relationship or career really went much further after that.

I don’t recommend rural Australian public schools to anybody.

Ok please tell us about this radio prank.

I heard a lady died from a radio stunt of drinking too much water once trying to win a Nintendo Wii. Something like that?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I heard a lady died from a radio stunt of drinking too much water once trying to win a Nintendo Wii. Something like that?

Hold your wee for a Wii, I remember that.

Also, seconded. You can't drop a juicy lead like that without following up

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Hold your wee for a Wii https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND#%22Hold_Your_Wee_for_a_Wii%22_contest

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tried to let Martha White out of the bag, died when tackled by store security.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Oh no it was the one when they called a hospital and pretended to be the queen or something to get access to royal medical records and the nurse who answered the phone killed herself. There was some outrage.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quote:

According to witness reports, Strange, who placed second in the contest, may have drunk nearly 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 L).

lol drat, she didn’t even win the contest before she died :sad:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My high school’s biggest jock was also its biggest MTG nerd and would wear a robe to play (MTG) in so it was a pretty good atmosphere overall.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Tried to let Martha White out of the bag, died when tackled by store security.

I read this as Marge Schott at first and was going to congratulate you on one hell of a reference.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Creature posted:

Oh no it was the one when they called a hospital and pretended to be the queen or something to get access to royal medical records and the nurse who answered the phone killed herself. There was some outrage.

Holy poo poo, that was her??!

Yeah no, all radio hosts who do prank calls deserve to be shot. Boring motherfuckers griefing working people who make a fraction of what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I liked Roy D. Mercer's prank calls.

I read this as Marge Schott at first and was going to congratulate you on one hell of a reference.
It's surprising that I, of all people, haven't heard of little Ms. Unnewehrmacht before.