Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You know, as much as I can't stand Kyrsten Sinema, she at least knew when to quit, unlike this clown

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1770933416281641382?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Are we sure Trump didn't body jump?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Trump, despite being entirely composed of faults, is generally pretty good at avoiding or destroying obvious evidence of his massive crimes (until the government got hold of his accounting records anyway). Long experience, basically a bargain bin mafia boss, taught by Roy Cohn.

Menendez is... less so

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is there any chance a nj senate seat flips red? like the senate is a apparently a tough race this cycle, but would suck if a traditional blue freebie wasnt a freebie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

is there any chance a nj senate seat flips red? like the senate is a apparently a tough race this cycle, but would suck if a traditional blue freebie wasnt a freebie
Not very likely

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PhazonLink posted:

Extremely unlikely, I would suspect Kim will get the nom and the win

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

You know, as much as I can't stand Kyrsten Sinema, she at least knew when to quit, unlike this clown

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1770933416281641382?s=20

Menendez has been getting away with being both wildly corrupt and holding every powerful senior Dem position possible for decades now and he’s 70, he’s never experienced an actual consequence for his actions and he’s old enough that he might as well not stop now.

…in short, even Sinema was never steeped in actual power this long to become this delusional. Can you imagine her chairing the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in her 60s after a few more terms? The headdresses alone would have caused the interns holding up the train of her cape to faint.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Much hopium on my part that the RNC money drain kneecaps the downballot Republicans. How many lost seats would we reasonably estimate then?

Asking the electoral nerds as no way I'm doing that level of calculus in a week of gently caress around work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SpeakSlow posted:

Much hopium on my part that the RNC money drain kneecaps the downballot Republicans. How many lost seats would we reasonably estimate then?

Asking the electoral nerds as no way I'm doing that level of calculus in a week of gently caress around work.

I mean that’s probably what’s gonna happen, that and trump will pull money/support from anyone who probably begs in a way he finds annoying.

GoutPatrol posted:

Extremely unlikely, I would suspect Kim will get the nom and the win

Yeah Kim probably has this. The gop will probably run some nutjob who will do ok in the polls and then get crushed in the general.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Menendez has been getting away with being both wildly corrupt and holding every powerful senior Dem position possible for decades now and he’s 70, he’s never experienced an actual consequence for his actions and he’s old enough that he might as well not stop now.

…in short, even Sinema was never steeped in actual power this long to become this delusional. Can you imagine her chairing the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in her 60s after a few more terms? The headdresses alone would have caused the interns holding up the train of her cape to faint.

Weirdly enough I assumed he got into the senate earlier then he did but he only got in in 2006, I assumed the 90s or late 80s.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
any reason for the confidence for Kim to win the primary? hear theres some minor primary drama with the supposed shadow of the governor's wife also vying for the seat.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PhazonLink posted:

any reason for the confidence for Kim to win the primary? hear theres some minor primary drama with the supposed shadow of the governor's wife also vying for the seat.

Is there a reason you think Kim's in trouble?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is there a reason you think Kim's in trouble?

I haven't been keeping up that closely, but my understanding was that Tammy Murphy was seen as the favorite because she was the "establishment" choice. Andy Kim going for the seat too is bucking the NJ Democratic Party mainstream. I think Kim's been doing much better than expected, but I don't think he's the favorite.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Either way a Republican has very little chance of beating whoever is the nom.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
MTG has filed a motion to Vacate the Chair. HAHA

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

can someone file a motion to vacate MTG tia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there any reason to believe that will succeed or did she just waste a bunch of everyone’s time?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

can someone file a motion to vacate MTG tia

Requires 2/3 of the House

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

haveblue posted:

Is there any reason to believe that will succeed or did she just waste a bunch of everyone’s time?

Doesn't she only need like two or three people to also not vote for Mike Johnson? Who knows if she has them but if anything it seems he's in a more precarious position than McCarthy was.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Seems like it's probably just an empty threat. She didn't file it as a privileged motion, so the House isn't required to expedite it, so Johnson will be able to delay it a fair while if he wants. And since Congress is going on a two-week recess at the end of the day, the earliest it'd be likely to come to the floor for a vote is in mid-April.

Also, MTG doesn't seem to have any backers for this yet. Gaetz and the rest of the Freedom Caucus were saying yesterday that while they're pissed about the spending deal, they don't intend to oust Johnson over it. It only takes a couple of Republicans flipping to oust Johnson, but it's not clear that she even has that many backing this right now.

Honestly, I've got no idea what she's playing at here. But it's kind of hard to tell where she's coming from in general, since she's in a weird place in the House. Despite being a diehard MAGA type, she supported McCarthy and got kicked out of the Freedom Caucus over it, and following that she did a bunch of lone-wolf stuff and then yelled at other Republicans for not backing her up, which burned pretty much all the bridges she's got left. By all accounts, most of the House GOP hates her, even among the Freedom Caucusers who would normally be her natural political allies, but she keeps trying to pull poo poo like this even though absolutely no one has her back on it.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that she intends to use the next couple of weeks to pressure people by using the threat of this motion as leverage.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Zapp Brannigan posted:

MTG has filed a motion to Vacate the Chair. HAHA

Wapo says because not filed with advance notice vote will be in 16 days.

I feel like she withdraws it under pressure eventually if nothing else. House chaos now seems like a disaster. Maybe she thinks if they wrench it all now it’ll utterly kill certain priorities like Ukraine funding. Idk waiting or more reporting from some rules mavens to get a better idea.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Yiggy posted:

Wapo says because not filed with advance notice vote will be in 16 days.

I feel like she withdraws it under pressure eventually if nothing else. House chaos now seems like a disaster. Maybe she thinks if they wrench it all now it’ll utterly kill certain priorities like Ukraine funding. Idk waiting or more reporting from some rules mavens to get a better idea.

Yeah she didn't file it as a privileged motion, which would have to be acted on within 2 legislative days. This one will go to committee, where it will die. That's a good thing because then the Democrats don't have to be on record saving Johnson's rear end.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I really feel like democrats would let the GOP twist in the wind again prior to the election. Especially since this funding package already cleared the house. It probably won’t get there but yeah

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the rest of the GOP caucus hates MTG, would they back kicking her out? Her district is safe red, so they maybe could get lucky with a more generic Republican

Lol

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

If the rest of the GOP caucus hates MTG, would they back kicking her out? Her district is safe red, so they maybe could get lucky with a more generic Republican

Lol

They’re like one bad car crash from a Dem majority in the house. They really can’t afford to.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Main Paineframe posted:

Seems like it's probably just an empty threat. She didn't file it as a privileged motion, so the House isn't required to expedite it, so Johnson will be able to delay it a fair while if he wants. And since Congress is going on a two-week recess at the end of the day, the earliest it'd be likely to come to the floor for a vote is in mid-April.

Also, MTG doesn't seem to have any backers for this yet. Gaetz and the rest of the Freedom Caucus were saying yesterday that while they're pissed about the spending deal, they don't intend to oust Johnson over it. It only takes a couple of Republicans flipping to oust Johnson, but it's not clear that she even has that many backing this right now.

Honestly, I've got no idea what she's playing at here. But it's kind of hard to tell where she's coming from in general, since she's in a weird place in the House. Despite being a diehard MAGA type, she supported McCarthy and got kicked out of the Freedom Caucus over it, and following that she did a bunch of lone-wolf stuff and then yelled at other Republicans for not backing her up, which burned pretty much all the bridges she's got left. By all accounts, most of the House GOP hates her, even among the Freedom Caucusers who would normally be her natural political allies, but she keeps trying to pull poo poo like this even though absolutely no one has her back on it.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that she intends to use the next couple of weeks to pressure people by using the threat of this motion as leverage.
I can answer this one: she's really, really bad at politics. Every time MTG does anything I'm reminded of her first appearance on InfoWars where she complained about the concept of needing to join a caucus and act as part of a voting bloc in order to get anything done, framing it as "Can you BELIEVE that in CONGRESS they TELL YOU HOW YOU HAVE TO VOTE".

She wanted a bunch of crazy stuff in the spending bill, didn't get it because she doesn't understand the practical realities of being in Congress, and is throwing a temper tantrum. Simple as.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They’re like one bad car crash from a Dem majority in the house. They really can’t afford to.

Well they should've thought about that before going all-in on the Treason Train.

Froghammer posted:

I can answer this one: she's really, really bad at politics. Every time MTG does anything I'm reminded of her first appearance on InfoWars where she complained about the concept of needing to join a caucus and act as part of a voting bloc in order to get anything done, framing it as "Can you BELIEVE that in CONGRESS they TELL YOU HOW YOU HAVE TO VOTE".

She wanted a bunch of crazy stuff in the spending bill, didn't get it because she doesn't understand the practical realities of being in Congress, and is throwing a temper tantrum. Simple as.

She doesn't really understand the practical realities of anything, to be fair. She's bad at politics the way she's bad at everything else except being a complete menace and that's only because she doesn't care about collateral damage.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 22, 2024

Gadfly
Dec 21, 2018

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact."

Professor Beetus posted:

Hasn't there been a ton of stuff that's come out in the last several years regarding DNA being kind of a bunk science, or at least pretty bad as it's applied to criminology? I thought I read stuff about it here on SA. Quick googling brought up an Atlantic article that was paywalled but there were also a few law web sites and a jstor article that came up referencing that the reliability of DNA evidence does not live up to its reputation.

e: some problems I see briefly glancing at what I can seem to be that "experts" are often as questionable as many a coroner, with completely unqualified people working in the role, and the fact that DNA evidence is rarely found or preserved in good enough condition to be as accurate as it potentially could be with specimens in perfect condition (ie a state pretty rare for crime scene dna to be found in).

Others have addressed the main problems with it, but another big issue is how the evidence (and its intrepretation of it) presented in the court room can persuade a jury, who probably already have a preconceived notion that forensic science is indisputable, to be biased against the defendent. Just because the defendent's DNA is left at a crime scene in no way means they are guilty of the crime.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lol

this but also most of the gop hates everyone else in the GOP and unlike the dems they dont have enough issues in common to stay in line because a decent amount have main character syndrom. that being said. i dont think they try until later in like may or something.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

She’ll win any primary because the crazies love her and they’ve shown they’ll make lives miserable against anyone that runs against her.

Atlanta hasn’t grown big enough yet to consume it and there not a district it makes sense to add in/give to to weaken her power.

They’re stuck with her until she finally drops a slur that can’t be ignored.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

They’re stuck with her until she finally drops a slur that can’t be ignored.

Is that really even a guarantee anymore? I can absolutely see this current MAGA party rallying behind a hard-R and keeping her in her seat for an election. The libs would be so triggered after all.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
HAHAH

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1771235533987148117

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes, and more specifically, the way he's doing it is a 'gently caress you' to Mike Johnson's majority

https://twitter.com/fritschner/status/1771239100005158933?s=46&t=GpexeIpe194QNfT_NpOTJw

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, and more specifically, the way he's doing it is a 'gently caress you' to Mike Johnson's majority

https://twitter.com/fritschner/status/1771239100005158933?s=46&t=GpexeIpe194QNfT_NpOTJw

I just saw that and was about to post, but yeah, that's a giant 'gently caress you' to the GOP.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Haha, was this guy a semi-sane republican or a ghoul? Any chance that his seat flips?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Haha, was this guy a semi-sane republican or a ghoul? Any chance that his seat flips?

He's a ghoul because he's still GOP, he's semi-sane because he's getting out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sexy tiger boobs posted:

He got 72% of the vote last time and Dems got 1% since they didn’t run anyone. It won’t flip

Edit: some quick googling indicates he was pretty middle of the road for a Republican. So, terrible but not MGT.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

He got 72% of the vote last time and Dems got 1% since they didn’t run anyone. It won’t flip

Not always their fault to not run someone. The abuse the candidate and their families receive in really red areas is abhorrent.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How did they get 1% of the vote without being on the ballot? Did a couple of people write in “THE DEMOCRATS”?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

How did they get 1% of the vote without being on the ballot? Did a couple of people write in “THE DEMOCRATS”?

People wrote-in a couple of Dem candidates.

Per Wikipedia, here's Gallagher's electoral history:

Doesn't exactly look like his seat's an easy flip. Which means him leaving is probably a bad thing, because he was relatively sane and not really on board with the MAGA stuff. Given how GOP primaries have been the last few years, there's a good chance that an open seat with no incumbent in a deep-red district will go full MAGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

In stranger news today:

https://twitter.com/MrSantosNY/status/1771240487418057059