Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
actually the funnier part of that is that she has developed the habit of saying "I hate _______" whenever something is on the screen of the TV that isn't whatever she wants to watch and last month her parents had to explain why she can't say things like "I hate Black History Month" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"You could always try watching Cheers, Dr. Crane. That might hit the spot for you."
"I did try that, Daphne! He said Cheers was 'Frasier-adjacent', and vetoed it!"
"Well, I suppose Frasier was a regular from season 5 on..."
"Oh, don't you start that on me!"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Instead of having fantasies about becoming Quail Man, Doug should have increasingly more elaborate fantasies about becoming Quail Woman, eventually realizing something about himself

This, but also the fantasies become about rebelling against their increasingly Kafkaesque life until the whole thing becomes a pastiche on Terry Gilliam's Brazil

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Redezga posted:

I visited a friend I hadn't seen in a few years recently and her 5 year old was intensely into Beyblades to the point I ended up dueling him for like 2 hours and figuring out trick rips and stuff. I have no idea how he even knew it existed but the way he talked about it all his friends were into them. The most recent anime ended over a decade ago, so I don't think he would have seen it on TV.

It seems to have made a broader comeback though somehow. I have even been seeing video ads on Facebook recently where Luka Rossi of INXS/Rockstar: Supernova fame is advertising an online concert to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original Beyblade anime for which he wrote and recorded the English theme song.

i imagine someone made some tik toks about or something. that is the main reason anything is popular with kids these days

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

My dad watches reruns of Frasier every day but he refuses to watch new Fraiser and I can't imagine what they possibly could have done to mess it up for him.

babypolis posted:

i imagine someone made some tik toks about or something. that is the main reason anything is popular with kids these days

Come to think of it one other thing I learned while there is that neither he nor his younger sister watch regular TV anymore. It's like 1/3 kids shows on Netflix, and the other 2/3 were youtube children's entertainers who sing in front of a green screen and talk to puppets. It's a super low budget setup but their view counts are astronomical.

Redezga has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Mar 22, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Redezga posted:

My dad watches reruns of Frasier every day but he refuses to watch new Fraiser and I can't imagine what they possibly could have done to mess it up for him.

tbh it's much better than it has any right to be for a multi-cam CBS sitcom made in 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wanted to hate the new one, I really did. But it's not hurting anyone

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I wanted to hate the new one, I really did. But it's not hurting anyone

they did a good job making the new characters both analogues to the old ones but different enough that it doesn't feel like a rehash

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

*looks at Heffer* Rasco, you put on weight boiiii?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQghiGQi6Lo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/verge/status/1769803309777400192?s=20

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i wish instead of playing this like Al Pacino in Dick Tracy, Colin Farrell was instead playing it like his own character from Banshees of Inisherin

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

another candidate for the anti-christ

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Since y'all love kids' shows so much, what do you think of the Israel-Palestine allegory in The Dragon Prince?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Nix Panicus posted:

This, but also the fantasies become about rebelling against their increasingly Kafkaesque life until the whole thing becomes a pastiche on Terry Gilliam's Brazil

the show traces the arc of the imperial collapse as Doug's neighbor describes increasingly mundane staples of life as very expensive douglas

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

the show traces the arc of the imperial collapse as Doug's neighbor describes increasingly mundane staples of life as very expensive douglas

you BROKE my GRILL?!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

actually the funnier part of that is that she has developed the habit of saying "I hate _______" whenever something is on the screen of the TV that isn't whatever she wants to watch and last month her parents had to explain why she can't say things like "I hate Black History Month" lol

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1G3aKJ3g18

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Very nice. Lets see Roger Klotz's card

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
doug ate my balls?!?!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

douglas! check out my new diesel generator! it's very expensive

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's called a Soda Stream, Douglass. It's very expensive.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Since y'all love kids' shows so much, what do you think of the Israel-Palestine allegory in The Dragon Prince?

havent seen it but its not as good as skypiea

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey Yakub devil, honk honk!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
doug was the original malding poster

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Al! posted:

lol that they made the chinese people white

Well, I watched it and it's not quite that bad but it's still bad. Any character that was a "good guy" is now a westerner. Chinese antagonists from the book are still Chinese, of course. And we can't depict modern day China in a positive light so pretty much anything set there got moved to the UK.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Modern Doug would either be a streamer or a 4channer depending on how they wanted to play it out

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Modern Doug would either be a streamer or a 4channer depending on how they wanted to play it out

nah doug would be an aging tumblerite tenderqueer

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roger Klotz transvestigates Patty Mayonnaise

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

roger klotz go on the timcast

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the blues are controlling the media!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Can't you see his Adam's apple? You really are a dummy, Funnie. Ha-ha!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Regarde Aduck posted:

another candidate for the anti-christ
dude has been a top contender for a while now

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I barely watched it but my kid loves it. seems like an ok show. is it decent?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sonatinas posted:

I barely watched it but my kid loves it. seems like an ok show. is it decent?

It's a bit dumb, bordering on very dumb when it tries to do political subplots. e.g. the big central political marriage subplot that the leads don't know about despite being a) royalty and b) close family of half the couple. But it's the kind of show whose "politics" keep being derailed by the child king wandering off into the forest to fight monsters and have adventures like the avatar knock off it desperately wants to be.

It has never met a cute animal it couldn't find a way to give a distracting amount of screen time to, either. I swear they just keep gaining more and more annoying supporting animal friends, they kind of suck or awkward comic relief.

There's some interesting ish stuff around the edges, but it's mostly Avatar methadone.

Open Source Idiom has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Mar 22, 2024

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cael posted:

lol at acting like the decision is in the hands of the actual children viewing it

millennial parent of a toddler: "no honey, you don't want to watch that boring bluey show. Watch the rugrats show so i can glance over at it and feel nostalgic while you enjoy it. No stop crying, it doesn't matter if you wanted bluey WE'RE WATCHING RUGRATS"

Bluey owns though

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Doug's polyamorous neighbor Mr. Tink triple income no kids

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I've spent a lot of time watching Nickelodeon shows and the only one actually worth rewatching as an adult is Hey Arnold.

However, the episode of of Rugrats titled "Chuckie's Wonderful Life" where Chuckie wishes he was never born is excellent, really good stuff. The episode where Chuckie thinks he has Rhinoceritis is pretty funny too.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was a Chuckie from Rugrats as a kid and I'm a Chuckie from Good Will Hunting as an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I was a Chuckie from Rugrats as a kid and I'm a Chuckie from Good Will Hunting as an adult

i really shouldnt have messed with that voodoo stuff