Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Grocery math is getting silly

you get five? or three? or four? or none because you’re not a disgusting gamer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm halfway through TruAnon Posting Pod and it did bring a smile to my lips when Ben started describing Something Awful posters as some Sardukar Forums Warriors using Bene Geserit bully techniques to destroy the Elizabeth Warren camp on a subatomic level.

guest: “they called themselves goons”
Liz: “I don’t like that”

side note, it’s funny that SA is always referred to in the past tense by outside parties

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

thats a great deal looks like

lol $10 for a 12/pack unless you want 60 cans lying around

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Anyway I liked the trueanon ep and thought the whole SA part was fun but also just lmao at the part about college kids who can’t read or do fractions and think satire is a synonym for lying - idk maybe it’s all true but it felt very much like what boomers said about us when we were that age and it made me uncomfortable

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dr. Killjoy posted:

being deeply concerned that every other shopper can see what you’re buying

lol thats so dumb, ive never heard of this before

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the only time i ever felt self conscious at the grocery store was when i worked overnight shifts and would go to the kroger to buy wine at 7 in the morning lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

still got to pay the $6 deposit

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

lol thats so dumb, ive never heard of this before

ableist

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lobster shirt posted:

the only time i ever felt self conscious at the grocery store was when i worked overnight shifts and would go to the kroger to buy wine at 7 in the morning lol

the glassy eyed drone hero of labor behind the checkout line doesnt care

selec
Sep 6, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Anyway I liked the trueanon ep and thought the whole SA part was fun but also just lmao at the part about college kids who can’t read or do fractions and think satire is a synonym for lying - idk maybe it’s all true but it felt very much like what boomers said about us when we were that age and it made me uncomfortable

I am wary of that vibe too, but talking with teachers and how hosed people are in the head post-pandemic, I think there’s some truth there.

I do know Ivies do not fail people, you are intended to be groomed into a member of the ruling class, it’s not about learning things as much as that, and the dumbest boss I ever had graduated from the Kellogg school at Harvard so I have personal confirmation that a genuine loving moron can get through an Ivy program. he was an adult convert to Mormonism who caused our department to have two racial sensitivity trainings, the second triggered by something he blurted out in the first one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

lol same but a fourloko at the gas station

getting off work a few minutes early and having to wait in the parking lot until the clock rolled around was a weird feeling

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

selec posted:

he was an adult convert to Mormonism who caused our department to have two racial sensitivity trainings, the second triggered by something he blurted out in the first one.

You worked for Papa John?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

You worked for Papa John?

god I wish, we only got pizza when they were gonna ask people to put in extra hours

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

its baja blast you know my rear end is gonna drink all those cans

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lmao at the part about college kids who can’t read or do fractions and think satire is a synonym for lying - idk maybe it’s all true but it felt very much like what boomers said about us when we were that age and it made me uncomfortable

selec posted:

I am wary of that vibe too, but talking with teachers and how hosed people are in the head post-pandemic, I think there’s some truth there.
this

i mean i get no one wants to be "old man yells at clouds kidzz these days just want to skateboard!",. durr socrates once said 3000 years ago the kids are going to hell in teh handbasket everythings fine!!!

but there definitely is. you also have to be really DV-esque dumb to not see connection between rapid degradation of material conditions, hyper surveillance and computerization, lack of social cohesion and kinships, and bleak future outlooks to not believe that actually yes, things are worse and younger kids are going to have a much worse and deteriorated time than the past, and will behave accordingly.

behavior is downstream of ecology, and.. buddy, have you seen contemporary american ecosystem recently?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm halfway through TruAnon Posting Pod and it did bring a smile to my lips when Ben started describing Something Awful posters as some Sardukar Forums Warriors using Bene Geserit bully techniques to destroy the Elizabeth Warren camp on a subatomic level.

God created SA to train the faithful

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shipon posted:

its baja blast you know my rear end is gonna drink all those cans

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Al! posted:

still got to pay the $6 deposit

they doubled the return value of cans in my state this year, and the stores make you feed each can in one by one into a machine to get your dimes back. i hate it so much!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

selec posted:

My mom was a first grade teacher for over 40 years and says that in the last ~5 years (of her teaching, which I think would be like 2013-2018 or something) students started to have noticably worse attention spans.

Wonder if that's a side effect of sticking young children on iPads and what have you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

covid elementary kids too, they'll be researching this event for a generation

it absolutely held tens of millions of kids back for a whole year or more

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

My mom was a first grade teacher for over 40 years and says that in the last ~5 years students started to have noticably worse attention spans.

Wonder if that's a side effect of sticking young children on iPads and what have you.

Your mom got boring.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i say swears online posted:

She's been doing observations for student teachers after retiring, and is of the opinion that the younger students get absolutely nothing from remote teaching (which is kind of common sense - students that age need more stimulation) .

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i get more out of an in-person work meeting than over microsoft teams, it's pretty universal

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gripweed posted:

Your mom got boring.
durrr. end of history ftw

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
really enjoyed Liz’s monologue at the end of the Boeing episode. I am always behind on podcasts

Ytlaya posted:

She's been doing observations for student teachers after retiring, and is of the opinion that the younger students get absolutely nothing from remote teaching (which is kind of common sense - students that age need more stimulation) .

I’m sure the industry will find a way to argue otherwise but one of the small silver linings of the pandemic was the destruction of the myth of the efficacy of MOOCs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Goons reminding me they're pushing an average age of 50 itt

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i say swears online posted:

whew i sure am glad we did what we did, we gave a bunch of retirees another 3 years of their lives in which they can continue to hoard all the wealth from the younger generations, and all it cost was the complete collapse of the social contract and the destruction of culture by the tech industry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Tbf, I don't doubt that any of that poo poo has happened - but I also don't think it's new.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shipon posted:

whew i sure am glad we did what we did, we gave a bunch of retirees another 3 years of their lives in which they can continue to hoard all the wealth from the younger generations, and all it cost was the complete collapse of the social contract and the destruction of culture by the tech industry

You are a moron.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shipon posted:

Lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

this

i mean i get no one wants to be "old man yells at clouds kidzz these days just want to skateboard!",. durr socrates once said 3000 years ago the kids are going to hell in teh handbasket everythings fine!!!

but there definitely is. you also have to be really DV-esque dumb to not see connection between rapid degradation of material conditions, hyper surveillance and computerization, lack of social cohesion and kinships, and bleak future outlooks to not believe that actually yes, things are worse and younger kids are going to have a much worse and deteriorated time than the past, and will behave accordingly.

behavior is downstream of ecology, and.. buddy, have you seen contemporary american ecosystem recently?

nah its dumb as hell. kids are just fine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

babypolis posted:

nah its dumb as hell. kids are just fine

ok mcmagic, go away

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
social media didn't destroy kids, it destroyed the elderly and parents. kids are infinitely more adaptable

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
idk how social media and the internet has shaped kids coming of age now, but i do something think about how we're the only generation in living memory to go through the birth and growing pains of a new age of information access and if that gives us any advantages/disadvantages in navigating The Information Super Highway to the World Wide Web.

15th century peasant smdh at the kids these days getting their gospel from a book lmfao you idiot. you're falling for words written down on DEAD TREES instead of spoken from the HOLY representative of god's will on earth? you stupid idiot, you can write down anything! WORDS from a pastor are imbued with the authority of the divine.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it was really funny that liz read the stuff from when the TV was invented about how it was going to destroy the next generation and then went on to go "ok but this time its true"

boomer poo poo in this ep. literally people said the same poo poo about live theater when it was invented. you're just getting old

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

In the hands of capital, it's all true

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

illiterate mckinsey consultant is a good bit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

studio mujahideen posted:

it was really funny that liz read the stuff from when the TV was invented about how it was going to destroy the next generation and then went on to go "ok but this time its true"

boomer poo poo in this ep. literally people said the same poo poo about live theater when it was invented. you're just getting old

I'd argue that TV did destroy that generation or have you never met a boomer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

generations arent real