Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I watched Road House on Amazon and while its perfectly fine Connor McGregor should not ever act in anything ever. Also there is no throat rip. I feel like if you are going to remake a movie that features a throat rip then you don't have one I am going to be disappointed.

:sigh: : McGregor

:peanut: : MacGruber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Movies literally one of my favourite games.

Especially with the Stunts expansion that allowed for free cam placement with programmable camera movements.

I'm not very optimistic about this newcomer.

I'd love for someone to give The Movies a nice once-over- there are a few things that are annoying about it both from a game perspective and a creative-toy perspective- so I'll keep an eye on this. There are a couple of other attempts at this, one called Moviehouse just got released not too long ago but I've heard not the best things about it, and there's Hollywood Animal which is theoretically going to happen. We shall see.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
A ranking of Bill Murray movies in The Guardian, while actually ranking it near the top, calls Lost In Translation 'Not a film that has stood the test of time'.

Partly because the racia humour now seems not only mean-spirited and just not funny beyond Haha other cultures are different aren't they? But also just because the magic is gone and other later movies did the same tricks but better.

Has the reputation of the film actually suffered or is it just the author's personal opinion?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 22, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bright Bart posted:

A ranking of Bill Murray movies in The Guardian, while actually ranking it near the top, calls Lost In Translation 'Not a film that has stood the test of time'.

Partly because what seemed lightheqrted Raciąż hunour now seems not only mean-spirrited bit just not funny beyond Haha other cultures are different aren't day? But also just because the magic is gone and other later movies did the same tricks but better.

Has the reputation of the film actually suffered or is it just the author's personal opinion?

Well not being from central Poland I can't really comment on Raciąż or whether the movie would appeal to those in Raciąż.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
For me personally Lost in Translation would hit differently today because I am now well aware of what a grouchy rear end in a top hat Bill Murray is, so I'd just watch a movie about Bill Murray having a regular day wherever.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Grendels Dad posted:

For me personally Lost in Translation would hit differently today because I am now well aware of what a grouchy rear end in a top hat Bill Murray is, so I'd just watch a movie about Bill Murray having a regular day wherever.

They say to never meet stars in person but with him you don't really have much choice. On the one hand he's apparently near impossible to find if you're looking for him. On the other he seems to prefer talking, having lunch, attending events, and even partying with strangers who get no heads up about it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

Partly because the racia humour now seems not only mean-spirited and just not funny beyond Haha other cultures are different aren't they? But also just because the magic is gone and other later movies did the same tricks but better.

I hope so, I have been waiting for 20 years for people to realize how loving racist that movie is.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Bright Bart posted:

My Japanese relatives are mixed on the film. One hates it. But some others find it hilarious and love jokes about language and culture differences.

Personally it's been a bit since I watched it, but some stuff is great like the partying out in Tokyo (good memories for me), or the depicted sense of isolation. I also enjoy all the commercial shooting where the translator super simplifies the directors comments to Murray.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I could definitely see it being a film where a segment of those who gave it 8.5/10 and upwards on first viewing fell in love, while a chunk of people who rated it as highly loved the novelty, the clever writing, the familiar but exotic setting, the ability to see beloved actors in one film, and because it was the decidedly best film made to date by an up & coming director... but watching it again might find it a bit boring. Same with something like Avatar for slightly different reasons.

I do wonder what a new audience who wasn't around for the theatrical release would make of it. Would it have much of an effect beyond 'I didn't know Bill Murray made serious films' (nobody has seen Broken Flowers) and 'Oooh, so that's where the trope of characters whispering to each other in a way they can make out but you the audience can't comes from. Was wondering who came up with that.

checkplease posted:

My Japanese relatives are mixed on the film. One hates it. But some others find it hilarious and love jokes about language and culture differences.

I would pay to watch a well-done film where Japanese gangsters try to take out Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannsson for having stared in that film. Played completely straight. It's neither a goofball comedy, nor are the actors secretly super soldiers. They're on the run to various places in the world, oscillating between coming to terms with their fate and crying that they don't want to die.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 22, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bright Bart posted:

You have all these polls on news sites' culture and lifestyle sections where like 7% people of respondents admit to regularly having sex in the theatre when situation permits it e.g. an empty back row and loud film. I'm all for light kinks but you really should require informed consent before involving others.

Then again with numbers like these you may well be tacitly consenting for someone to awkwardly put P in V a few rows down and a couple seats across from you.

agreed. i just stand up before the movie and ask everyone "is it ok if we finger bang each other? does anyone mind? it's cool just raise your hand" and no one ever does

Mister Speaker posted:

On the other hand he kind of only knows how to make one movie: a hamfisted apartheid analogy.

that's not a very good read on district 9 (it's not about apartheid per se, among other things it's about how apartheid never really ended it just shifted to focus on immigrants, plus some fully loving wild poo poo about white purity and miscegenation embodied by a guy getting a bug hand) but please, explain how demonic and zygote are apartheid analogies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Everyone was just blinded to Lost in Translation's racism by it's vibey shoegaze soundtrack. you've got to understand this is back when we didn't think we would ever get another my bloody valentine album.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Lost in Translation for the first time a few months ago and yeah it’s not great.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

agreed. i just stand up before the movie and ask everyone "is it ok if we finger bang each other? does anyone mind? it's cool just raise your hand" and no one ever does

It's better to say "If it's NOT cool with you raise your hand"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'll never learn for myself where Lady Bird is good not not. There are clues that it might be. But with the chosen name for the film also being the chosen name of the antagonist I give up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lady Bird rules

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s good

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DeimosRising posted:

please, explain how demonic and zygote are apartheid analogies

Chill. I suppose I was misremembering and it's not as directly apartheid-focused as I thought; as Blood Boils pointed out earlier it's more about refugee crises in general. I should have said "a hamfisted allegory to inequality," in a much more general sense that's pretty much what he does. They're all fun though, I was surprised and impressed with how well it held up 15 years later, especially as SMG points out on how low a budget it was produced.

Whether or not it deserves a sequel... IDK, I'm the type who'd like to see ends like that wrapped up and see Wikus reunited with Tania after that mild tear-jerker of an ending, but it looks like all the 'news' about it is clickbait and it stands well enough on its own anyway that a sequel might cheapen things. I just want more alien tech.

Another thing Blomkamp does really well that appeals to the popcorn action flick lover, is larger-than-life villains. I was initially going to watch Elysium, because Copley's portrayal of the mercenary Kruger sells that whole movie for me. He's like something out of a comic book. Similarly, Koobus in D9 has a few ECU shots where he's cackling maniacally about how much he loves murdering aliens. I think the portrayal of the Nigerian gangs is more than a bit cringe in retrospect but the gang leader, too, is certainly a larger-than-life character whose arc moves the film in interesting directions. And of course the funniest one is Jackman in Chappie, who I suspect might be a caricature of how left-leaning South Africans see all Australian expats.

Copley is a fantastic actor for (allegedly?) someone who had no experience. He reminds me so much of a friend of mine, in how he can play quiet and reserved and also go full manic "gently caress YOU" very convincingly. Anything else with him worth watching? I enjoyed Hardcore Henry a lot and even the A-Team remake was pretty fun, for a dumb movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

even as a hater of Elysium and Chappie, i was blown away by how bad Demonic was

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need to watch it bc I love blomkamp and want to see how low he can go. For posterity

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TadBradley posted:

Hello Movie Goons,
Is there a thread here or another subforum for film industry goons?

There's some niche threads (CG, Editing/PostProd) but no real industry thread. Are you looking for a specific area or just film industry in general?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I haven't seen lost in translation in probably 20 years but how is it racist?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 22, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i was kind of being genuine, it would be really wild if you actually saw parallels in those movies

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

even as a hater of Elysium and Chappie, i was blown away by how bad Demonic was

yeah, i like elysium and chappie and several of the oats shorts, but demonic was a real miss for me. i wonder how gran turismo is

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gran Turismo is one of the most adequate movies I’ve seen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay but have you considered it's based on a true story? It's really important to the movie that you know that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
lol didn't they take the story of the accident he caused that killed someone and reframe it as an early obstacle he had to overcome instead of it actually being fairly recent and entirely his fault?

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

BonoMan posted:

There's some niche threads (CG, Editing/PostProd) but no real industry thread. Are you looking for a specific area or just film industry in general?

I guess more in general. I was reading r/filmindustryLA and getting annoyed at the redditor dumbasses therein, and it occurred to me I never really sought out the same kind of stuff here. Facebook groups are beset by boomer Facebook drama, subreddits are 60% "I'm about to graduate, should I move to LA?" and "how do I become a director? I'm too shy to network." And both are full of doomers and shills who can't stop plugging Open.AI products that are coming for our jobs.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Occasionally it would also be people making jokes about grips and talking about craft services

Basically this. Movie set shitposting, but goonier. I wanted to talk about Grips eating crayons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TadBradley posted:

I guess more in general. I was reading r/filmindustryLA and getting annoyed at the redditor dumbasses therein, and it occurred to me I never really sought out the same kind of stuff here. Facebook groups are beset by boomer Facebook drama, subreddits are 60% "I'm about to graduate, should I move to LA?" and "how do I become a director? I'm too shy to network." And both are full of doomers and shills who can't stop plugging Open.AI products that are coming for our jobs.

Basically this. Movie set shitposting, but goonier. I wanted to talk about Grips eating crayons.

Make a thread and I'll sticky it for while and see if it's productive

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Cloud Atlas is good. Like, very good. wtf

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Read the book if you haven't. I enjoyed the movie but the book is worth reading.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I might do that then re-watch. Also I can't believe that anyone who had actually seen the entire film would be upset about the race-mixing makeup effects, which I think is still maybe the most famous thing about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Read the book if you haven't. I enjoyed the movie but the book is worth reading.

Yeah same, I liked the movie just fine for its ambition but the book is pretty exceptional. I haven't read everything by David Mitchell but I love the way all his books intersect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Toxic Mental posted:

I might do that then re-watch. Also I can't believe that anyone who had actually seen the entire film would be upset about the race-mixing makeup effects, which I think is still maybe the most famous thing about it.

Some of them do look very strange.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I found the opening/closing story unreadable but the rest of it was 5/5 brilliance

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Some of them do look very strange.

I mean quality of the makeup effects aside, of course. Some of them were pretty weird looking.

Conceptually speaking, there's no way that anyone who had actually seen the film in its entirety and was being objective would ever be upset.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I like Cloud atlas movie and book, but the movie is definitely making some big choices that i can understand not working for everyone.

I do love the soundtrack also and could hear it as I read the book.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They're both fine, not great but at least pretty interesting. I like the book better than the movie, but not much more. The book was pretty good but the author definitely thought it was smarter than it really is. In that sense it's perfectly suited for the Wachowskis.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Doesn't Cloud Atlas feature white people in Asian makeup

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Doesn't Cloud Atlas feature white people in Asian makeup

And vice versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald