Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rusty posted:

I think the difference between the two is (I hope I'm not adding to the misinformation) is that in DD1 making a new game erased your existing save. In DD2, you have to remove the save yourself to make a new game.

Yeah, there's no option in DD2 to flat-out just go "New game, gently caress it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's always okay to be mad about gameplay-relevant microtransactions imo

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Alright my review for Dragon's Dogma 2 has switched to negative. I've played for 7 hours now, encountered wolves twice, and none of these worthless pawns mentioned them hunting in packs. What the gently caress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mycot posted:

It's not good but this whole social media phenomena feels weirdly...forced? Like so much of it is based on literally false information and it is provably not something unique to DD2. Infinite Wealth just did the same thing (selling loving Platinum Plates, on top of actual content like a postgame dungeon) and that got a normal amount of grumbling imo.

I promise it’s not a conspiracy when people care more about bad things happening in one game than another

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

I promise it’s not a conspiracy when people care more about bad things happening in one game than another

tbh the stuff quoted in this post is what confuses me more

mycot posted:

See this is what I don't get, where is stuff like this coming from? It's obviously a deliberate spin made by someone, but why?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mycot posted:

tbh the stuff quoted in this post is what confuses me more

In the continued tale of people being normal about this game, for some reason it's only in the comments of a lady and a black guy that any of the myriad people as "featured" pawns in the game are getting blowback so y'know there's definitely some of Those Types out and about

Dunno if that's related but I'm definitely taking this as an inverse Bethesda and just waiting two weeks to see where reviews are after the honeymoon (anti-honeymoon?) is over

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

claw game handjob posted:

In the continued tale of people being normal about this game, for some reason it's only in the comments of a lady and a black guy that any of the myriad people as "featured" pawns in the game are getting blowback so y'know there's definitely some of Those Types out and about

Dunno if that's related but I'm definitely taking this as an inverse Bethesda and just waiting two weeks to see where reviews are after the honeymoon (anti-honeymoon?) is over

vinegarsun

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fun Times! posted:

Alright my review for Dragon's Dogma 2 has switched to negative. I've played for 7 hours now, encountered wolves twice, and none of these worthless pawns mentioned them hunting in packs. What the gently caress.

Thanks. I was feeling my financial resolve slipping away, but this settles it for good. Literally unplayable. :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fun Times! posted:

Two wolves in seven hours doesn’t sound like a pack to me so maybe the pawns are right

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

TeaJay posted:

How's the performance on that one? It's definitely on my checklist.

runs pretty decent, from memory I'd say like the first title minus the launch issues (no stutters, no shader caching shenanigans)

also nixxes was involved in porting it so might have something to do with their ability to make very good ports.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also the real reason you should poo poo on Capcom is their policy on mods

man I just realized, they release an RPG with performance issues and then will ban any mod trying to fix it

My experience with RE8 recently was that i was looking for a mod that fixed the god awful FOV and vignette. The mod was taken down from NexusMods and the author said it was some legal stuff??

So I had to go to GitHub to install it.

I don’t really know the specifics but I would be worried about buying a $70 game and have to deal with a weird legal happy company that makes you stand by their design choices *or else*.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

They're really not. They are, in fact, less confusing than some of Capcom's other games. Look at MHW's DLC.
https://store.steampowered.com/dlc/582010/Monster_Hunter_World/

Aren't those all cosmetic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Aren't those all cosmetic?

There's some minor gameplay stuff in there too, plus the aforementioned "being able to change your character looks" thing. It isn't anything major, mind you, but neither is DD's. Like genuinely the DD DLC is like on the level of "Buy some potions, hi-potions and mega-potions!" It's dumb and nobody should buy it but even if you bought it your advantage would be like... a couple of extra consumables and some bonus riftbucks which are only useful for buying more consumables or hiring overleveled pawns and which you get from playing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 22, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kulu Yaku will be day 1 DLC for MH:Wilds

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

mycot posted:

Yeah there is almost certainly some kind of wacky meta twist involving your player character like the ending of the first game.

what was the twist in dd1?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kly posted:

what was the twist in dd1?

Your pawn becomes a real boy/gal and the postgame is spent playing them instead.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

There's some minor gameplay stuff in there too, plus the aforementioned "being able to change your character looks" thing. It isn't anything major, mind you, but neither is DD's. Like genuinely the DD DLC is like on the level of "Buy some potions, hi-potions and mega-potions!" It's dumb and nobody should buy it but even if you bought it your advantage would be like... a couple of extra consumables and some bonus riftbucks which are only useful for buying more consumables or hiring overleveled pawns and which you get from playing.

It's cool that none of that bothers you, but the mobile Monster Hunter game had healing potions for sale and that specific thing is what killed any interest I had in trying it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

It's cool that none of that bothers you, but the mobile Monster Hunter game had healing potions for sale and that specific thing is what killed any interest I had in trying it.

You play Helldivers 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Love ideological purity tests in the Steam thread

Great stuff

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this discourse makes me want to buy the stupidest possible DLC out of spite

yes, sure atlus, i will absolutely pay you $2.99 for (checks description) two character portraits of persona 5 characters for etrian odyssey 2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But I like the game your poo poo talking so I need to find a way to invalidate you

I must defend these corporations with my life

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Triarii posted:

I think there is a really big difference in the economy of a f2p mobile game that nags you to buy healing potions or grind 18 hrs for premium currency to buy healing potions or else stop playing, VS a single player RPG that has some dumb poo poo for sale that doesn’t matter because it is nearly immediately acquirable in game without a multi day premium currency grind. But it is extremely stupid that Capcom did this, and since this game is riding a fat wave of Elden Ring adjacent mass interest (alongside the hyped up heroic tale of its 12 year hiatus and triumphant return) it checks out, forlorn as it makes me, that it’s getting a huge amount of poo poo for it, even if DD1 et al had the same dumbass crop of useless Michael Transactions. If you pick it up on sale down the line you will likely have a dope time — and by that point hopefully it finally fuckin runs well too.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You play Helldivers 2.

Yeah, it sucks there too. The game is probably much worse for being built around microtransactions.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ZearothK posted:

Hey, how was Audiosurf 2, btw?

I'll let my play time speak for itself:

Audiosurf - 47 hours.
Audiosurf 2 - 5 hours.

It's been 6 years since I played either, so I've no idea what my issues were, sorry.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Triarii posted:

Yeah, it sucks there too. The game is probably much worse for being built around microtransactions.

It lets you get everything for free just from playing at least, I'm not gonna spend a cent extra on it. The awful anticheat and funky online services are much more irritating, my friend who got the game can't join anybody or be joined and nothing he's tried has fixed it yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Probably best to let it drop.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 23, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT posted:

I think there is a really big difference in the economy of a f2p mobile game that nags you to buy healing potions or grind 18 hrs for premium currency to buy healing potions or else stop playing, VS a single player RPG that has some dumb poo poo for sale that doesn’t matter because it is nearly immediately acquirable in game without a multi day premium currency grind. But it is extremely stupid that Capcom did this, and since this game is riding a fat wave of Elden Ring adjacent mass interest (alongside the hyped up heroic tale of its 12 year hiatus and triumphant return) it checks out, forlorn as it makes me, that it’s getting a huge amount of poo poo for it, even if DD1 et al had the same dumbass crop of useless Michael Transactions. If you pick it up on sale down the line you will likely have a dope time — and by that point hopefully it finally fuckin runs well too.

I can see the difference, but you'd have to have played both games and gotten pretty familiar with their economies to really appreciate why one is awful and the other is no big deal. When it comes to people making snap judgements and getting mad on the internet, I don't blame them for looking at the big lists of fast travel widgets for $1.99 and whatnot and deciding "oh, it's one of those games".

Like, to avoid that kind of judgement, Capcom would have to have some ridiculous disclaimer banner above the DLC that says "absolutely none of this matters, you can get all of this in-game with no effort" at which point...just don't do all that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Has there ever been a music/Rhythm game that synced up to Spotify or Apple Music or whatever?

That always seemed like the next thing those games should do. Bring back Audiosurf with Spotify integration. And Vib Ribbon while you’re at it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i remember an asteroids-like rhythm game which just listened to all of the audio playing on your system so you could use any source you wanted, forgot the name though

the problem is that automatic charting just doesn't work very well

e: vv yeah it was beat hazard

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 23, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bumhead posted:

Has there ever been a music/Rhythm game that synced up to Spotify or Apple Music or whatever?

Beat Hazard 3 supports input via Line-In Audio, which means you can feed it anything you want, including any streaming services, and control whatever app via your phone without leaving the game.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Edit: My bad, moving on. I think we generally agree about what sucks here anyway.

Edit2: But I do think it's funny that DD2's minimum hardware reqs literally exactly describe my computer, and say "you'll get 30 fps with this, lower when things get intense"

Triarii fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 23, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nvm, it was dropped

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 23, 2024

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I think it's pretty well established that nobody likes MTX, we're just all disagreeing about the correct way to be mad about them

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MTX was good when they called it "shareware"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Triarii posted:

Edit: My bad, moving on. I think we generally agree about what sucks here anyway.

Edit2: But I do think it's funny that DD2's minimum hardware reqs literally exactly describe my computer, and say "you'll get 30 fps with this, lower when things get intense"

Yeah, at the end of the day we all agree it sucks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hwurmp posted:

MTX was good when they called it "shareware"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shareware was just sparkling demos.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just want to mention that I saw on itch.io that I own Death of a Wish, the 2024 sequel to Lucah: Born of a Dream, and it's because I got it in the 2022 queer games bundle (the same one that had ADACA in it) so if you got that bundle you might have it too. idk if it was early access at one point.

oh and yea also make sure to play ADACA episode 3 which just came out

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery opinions, 4 hours in:
It's really good! A surprisingly deep strategy RPG with a lot of good ideas, gorgeous graphics and some challenging gameplay on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmGk2j3elPc&t=823s

It's like a mixture of a lot of games so hard to compare to just one. There are named characters with unique abilities, you can allocate skill points, weapons have different effective ranges, and there's a very robust stealth system you can drop into any time considering you are almost always massively outnumbered. Terrain and the bonuses it gives are hugely important, and line of sight is a constant gameplay element even without taking into account the weather changes that sometimes happen during missions. The use of consumable items is HEAVILY encouraged to the point of being able to save/load different loadouts before missions, and there are a ton of items from tripwires that cause status effects to scanners that let you reveal an area covered with the fog of war. It's a very fleshed-out combat system and the difficulty of getting an S-rank is pretty good on top, been a while since a game has had a decent challenge even during the introductory missions. You also get rewarded by killing special enemies or reaching specific locations, usually with attachments for your guns or rare crafting materials.

Now, the plot to start is a pretty by-the-book, grim, sci-fi future resource war sort of deal but the trailer shows some crazy poo poo going on so up to you whether or not you want to be spoiled on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3IOkW4MWcg

Either way, I would highly recommend the game and I'm also happy to report the translation is great and actual english rather than the machine translation junk a lot of these games often have. Only one funny error that's more context based than anything else. I think for 20 bucks it's a huge steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also don't let the mixed reviews on Steam fool you, it's being review bombed by Chinese incel culture warriors