Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
No matter what I sing it will inevitably turn into the clinker's cavern song from banjo kazooie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

We sung Hamilton songs to mine early on and for a while it was almost magical how quick they'd conk her out

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Daughter was Close to You by The Carpenters, and son was Lights by Journey. Because those happened to be the songs the head OB had on the speakers during their respective c-section births, and they really stuck with us.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Hey my kid is 2 months old and gnawing on my fingers like a puppy. This is bullshit. Teething was supposed to start after the big 4 month regression. Doesn't she know that?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Hey my kid is 2 months old and gnawing on my fingers like a puppy. This is bullshit. Teething was supposed to start after the big 4 month regression. Doesn't she know that?

Mine is barely 4 months and has been doing that for a few weeks now. No teeth to show for it. I think he’s just curious about how stuff feels!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
You fools, don't let your babies get a taste for human flesh!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Anybody else's kid just say "hi daddy/mommy" practically every five minutes?

HI. Okay? Fuckin'.... HI

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our school bond actually passed! This means when my kids get to junior high and high school, they will be taught elective classes in an actual classroom and not some repurposed space (like the entrance lobby or the gym). :woop:

But the 5 other school districts with bonds on the ballot in my county all failed. :ignorance:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 5 year old is into trains. I have gotten him into Johnny Cash. I think Johnny Cash must have been a train kid as well.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Johnny Cash Sugartime cover is top tier.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alterian posted:

My 5 year old is into trains. I have gotten him into Johnny Cash. I think Johnny Cash must have been a train kid as well.

Folsom prison blues is actually about the train

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have experience flying internationally without both parents present? My wife will fly with her mom and our two kids without me. The kids have my last name but it's not very clear to me what documents might be needed to show my approval of them flying without me. It looks like I can write/sign a letter and they'll take the kids birth certificates with them. Does anyone have any advice? This is within Europe, fyi.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Does anyone have experience flying internationally without both parents present? My wife will fly with her mom and our two kids without me. The kids have my last name but it's not very clear to me what documents might be needed to show my approval of them flying without me. It looks like I can write/sign a letter and they'll take the kids birth certificates with them. Does anyone have any advice? This is within Europe, fyi.

We’re EU citizens living in the US; the kids are traveling on Irish passports within the EU, and have my last name, whereas I have a German passport. My wife has kept her last name.

Last year, we went to Ireland, and I had to travel with our 3-year old daughter: from Dublin to Berlin by plane, and from there to Poland by car where we stayed in a hotel.

In short, nobody cared; not the airlines, not immigration in Germany or Ireland, nor the hotel in Poland.

I did have a hand-written signed note from my wife indicating I had permission to travel from Ireland to Germany and Poland with our daughter just in case. I also had done some research beforehand, and the laws are ultimately different by EU country.
I’ll point out that iirc, de jure, one or more of the three countries did specify that you needed some kind of document from the other parent; but de facto, nobody cared.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Bi-la kaifa posted:

mine is 4 mos now but started doing that at 2 mos as well - it'll probably upgrade to sucking soon for self soothing, he also does it to pass gas/poop

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just had our first conflict with the school, or the after school care. I'm gonna try and keep it brief but it's hard. We got twin boys age 10 with some extra needs (ADHD related mostly). We often have them in the "after school" because of work and school ends before work does. Our boys are older than you usually get to be in after school for, but they have dispensation due to their circumstances.

Now this whole thing begins like this:

-After school sends message weeks in advance that on March 22nd they will have an easter party, parents use the app to book after school who want their children to attend.

-We use the app to book friday for them. We are both there in front of the computer with calendar and work schedules to get everything right (not just for friday, but we enter dates for three weeks ahead). We discover that we have another appointment on the 22nd, the kids will get picked up after school by a taxi which takes them to this place for children with 'special needs' (ADHD qualifies) where they can be for a while, they're meant to be there until sunday when we pick them up. Now they always get picked up right after school ends so no "after school" those days. But we call that place and ask them to pick them up at 1600 so the boys can goto after school on the 22nd.

-We've had problems in the past with our schedules and have booked after-school on those days. The After School (the gently caress you call it in english?) also gets these lists from this place the kids are going, so they double check the boys schedules we put in the app with the other list.

-This time we didn't double book it! We made sure the taxi would pick them up 1600 and not 1300 when school ends so they could go to the party. However the After School people noticed this "double booking" date and canceled the boys appointments. Now here's where the problem start. This time they did not ask us, they did not tell us they canceled either. They assumed it was another mistake.

-They also forgot to remove the after school appointment from The App so I didn't see anything wrong when I went in an checked their days, I wanted to make sure everything looked right on friday.

-Yesterday we get a message from After School telling us:

quote:

Hi, we heard from the school that you thought David and Daniel would come to eftis tomorrow? Now it doesn't work that way. You must let us know in advance because we have told you that the boys each need an assistant while they are here. Now there is no staff that can come to eftis at such short notice. This applies to all the other children here at eftis too, but it is extremely important for you to notify us in time as we need to bring in extra staff for the sake of the boys!

Naturally poo poo hits the fan. After School (eftis as it's called here) are acting uh dickishly IMO and I feel like they're trying real hard to pin it on us and bringing up past mistakes.

I'm pissed because the boys are missing the party and they are sad about it (Daniel even phoned and told me he's cried in school over this today).

I'm pissed because they canceled our appointment and didn't tell us, they didn't even properly scrub the time from their systems. This is my main beef.

I'm pissed because they say we need to send them separate messages in addition to using THE APP. I think that's unreasonable, we got THE APP for a reason.

I'm pissed because we had to scramble to book the taxi and we weren't able to but after lots of effort by their mom they got a taxi for 1300.

I'm pissed because this morning the principal butts in and apologizes and says he's fixed so the boys can be until 1430. But we've already scrambled and bothered lots of people to get this taxi for 1300 now!

Now tell me, am I wrong to be pissed? I don't think I would've been pissed, just sad, if not for the attitude in the messages we've gotten. They keep insisting its our fault for having double booked in the past and not informing them via a separate channel that this time we're extra sure. I just think that it doesn't matter if we've hosed up in the past, they've pointed this out and we've worked on doing better and reporting proper times. And even if we hadn't I think we should be notified if a time is canceled. It was just a coincidence this was discovered last night!

They assumed and assume makes an rear end out U and Me.

EDIT: OK in the end it's not a world ending issue and it probably just looks big to us. Still I wanted to write down my frustration, it helps.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 22, 2024

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Is there a new thing about kids birthday parties being on Sunday instead of Saturday that I'm unaware of? The two parties we just got invited to are/were Sunday. I'm trying to plan my daughter's but I don't wanna put it on Saturday if no one is gonna come? These are 3 year olds, for the record.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
50/50 split here. Only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to conflict with a party on a Saturday, which would have been the standard day so Sunday might draw more?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Me, before kids showed up: “I’m going to be a patient and understanding parent and explain situations to kids so they know what’s going on instead of making things up”

Me, with a 3yo: “uh oh you better drink your whole water cup or else Doc McStuffins is going to diagnose you with a case of DontDrinkitis!!!”

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now tell me, am I wrong to be pissed? I don't think I would've been pissed, just sad, if not for the attitude in the messages we've gotten. They keep insisting its our fault for having double booked in the past and not informing them via a separate channel that this time we're extra sure. I just think that it doesn't matter if we've hosed up in the past, they've pointed this out and we've worked on doing better and reporting proper times. And even if we hadn't I think we should be notified if a time is canceled. It was just a coincidence this was discovered last night!

They assumed and assume makes an rear end out U and Me.

EDIT: OK in the end it's not a world ending issue and it probably just looks big to us. Still I wanted to write down my frustration, it helps.

No you're not wrong. I'd be equally sad on my kid's behalf and angry at the school for putting them/you in that situation. Out of school hours care is absolutely appropriate for everyone to triple check before cancelling bookings. If you didn't find out for whatever reason today, kids can't argue well on their own behalf that yes they should be taken care of, the worst case scenarios get pretty dicey.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gotta love those times your kid says a sentence and you just CAN'T grasp it. Took me hours, but I finally got it.

"The sun didn't melt all the snow." But, in three-year-old voice. He was getting so mad at me

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Love driving my son to school and he’s screaming at me the entire way because I declared that today is Friday and he insists that it’s Monday. Well excuse me little dude. Such a contrarian.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry, I don't normally read this thread so I hope this is not an old topic! I'm trying to start a babysitting co-op among school parents. I'm doing this because we have no friends who'd babysit, or parents (kids grandparents, I mean) in the area so I want to be able to go on a date with my wife once in a while!

My wife sent me this which is useful: https://crammingfortheapocalypse.substack.com/p/how-to-start-a-babysitting-co-op

Has anyone else done this before? I suppose the first thing to do is find about 3-4 families and host an event where we talk about this, meet up, get to know each other etc. I've already got those people and am about to organise this event with local parents, but if anyone has any pointers or other resources to link I'd appreciate it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this seems significantly worse than paying money to a babysitter periodically

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Brawnfire posted:

Gotta love those times your kid says a sentence and you just CAN'T grasp it. Took me hours, but I finally got it.

"The sun didn't melt all the snow." But, in three-year-old voice. He was getting so mad at me

My cousin kept doing that at that age also. After several minutes of failing to converse with the adults, he would end up saying “eeott” and walking off, which rather amused everyone when they realized he meant “idiot”. Naturally eeott became family slang for idiot ever since.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had a neighborhood ba babysitting coop when I was very young

I'm still friends with about 80% of those kids today. The other 20% moved away. I think there were like 10 families. Each family had a Saturday on the calendar and all the other families could drop the kids off at your house. Sounds like a pretty cool idea for 9/10 weeks and a really really bad idea for when everyone goes to your house that 1/10 weeks

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

On deck for our *checks notes* 3rd parent’s date dinner in 13 months.

At this point I don’t care if the food is good, I just want a fancy drink and no dishes to do afterwards.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

My son loves to show me things, but he knows that if he has interrupted me, I'm likely to try to multitask whatever he interrupted me doing while he's showing me whatever it is (e.g. chores, cooking, etc.). He now runs up to me and says "Daddy! Look at this! And don't stop looking until I tell you to!"

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Dinner time. Time for the daily Negotiation Of The Silverware.

“I don’t want a fork. I want a spoon. A bigger spoon. I want mommy’s fork. I want daddy have mommy’s fork. I want chopsticks. Other chopsticks. You can’t have a fork.”

*takes one bite*

“I don’t like it.”

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

redreader posted:

Sorry, I don't normally read this thread so I hope this is not an old topic! I'm trying to start a babysitting co-op among school parents. I'm doing this because we have no friends who'd babysit, or parents (kids grandparents, I mean) in the area so I want to be able to go on a date with my wife once in a while!

My wife sent me this which is useful: https://crammingfortheapocalypse.substack.com/p/how-to-start-a-babysitting-co-op

Has anyone else done this before? I suppose the first thing to do is find about 3-4 families and host an event where we talk about this, meet up, get to know each other etc. I've already got those people and am about to organise this event with local parents, but if anyone has any pointers or other resources to link I'd appreciate it!

I'm sorta doing something like this with my inlaws. My brother in law and I watched our combined 4 kids this past weekend for the day while our wives went to a spa. Soon, we'll reverse and they'll watch for a day while we do something else.

Depending on the ages and demeanors of the kids I could see doing up to 6 between 2 people, but I can't imagine doing that with a mix of babies, toddlers, and young kids. Potty trained I think at minimum to stretch. With 3 under 2 and a 3 year old it got pretty hectic at one point but totally doable for 6-7 hours.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

lifg posted:

Dinner time. Time for the daily Negotiation Of The Silverware.

“I don’t want a fork. I want a spoon. A bigger spoon. I want mommy’s fork. I want daddy have mommy’s fork. I want chopsticks. Other chopsticks. You can’t have a fork.”

*takes one bite*

“I don’t like it.”

We had this phase. I feel ya. Luckily it passed rather quickly. Hope it does for you, too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I took spit up directly to the eyeball.

0/10 do not recommend

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We had this phase. I feel ya. Luckily it passed rather quickly. Hope it does for you, too.

I kinda zone it out. I went through my own phases of, “this is cute,” to, “this is really annoying,” to, “I completely disassociate and think about other things while it’s happening.”

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's hilarious how reliably the kid does the exact opposite of what she did last time. We went for Vietnamese a few weeks ago and she couldn't stop eating my grilled beef. So I got extra meat this time and now it's apparently "yucky"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Our 7yo had a day trip to Melbourne this week and picked out a little talking Goofy in a tow truck you for her 3yo brother. He loves it and I'm not too fussed about noisy toys, but disappointingly it doesn't make the Goofy yelp.

Why would you make a talking Goofy toy and not include the yelp? It barely makes the hyuck laugh, either.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Today was show and tell at daycare. Walking kiddo in when one of his friend says "mommy *kid's name* has a cool truck!"

drat right he does.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'll be darned, we JUST had this issue.

So, in my naivety, I figured that any one parent, who's the legal guardian and there are no divorce proceedings, custody battles etc. can travel wherever with any subset of the children, no questions asked, but apparently that's not always the case.

My wife and the older kid just flew out to Asia. Upon leaving Schengen, they were "interrogated" by the border guards, and ended up having to phone me (who could tell them that, yes, I was cool with this trip.) There are apparently forms one can fill out that authorizes this, but I'm a little confused, because all that poo poo (form, phone call) is super easily forged.

Afterwards, I concluded that the trip maybe rang some alarm bells. My wife doesn't have citizenship, and they were on a one way ticket (going home via a different city) so I can see how that could look a bit like a kidnapping.

Wife and kid have same last name, and she had copied of marriage certs, birth certs etc. etc.

My guess is that within Schengen, you can go hog wild, but I'd get my docs in order just in case.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Brawnfire posted:

The toddler went to a birthday party a month ago and I took a picture of her with a kid in her class named Liv. Admittedly I 100% thought this kid had a different name, but man was I confused when my kid kept asking to look at "picture [toddler's name] knees on mommy bone." Bone is phone of course, but I could not figure out knees or niece or whatever until she found the photo.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

bolind posted:

I'll be darned, we JUST had this issue.

So, in my naivety, I figured that any one parent, who's the legal guardian and there are no divorce proceedings, custody battles etc. can travel wherever with any subset of the children, no questions asked, but apparently that's not always the case.

My wife and the older kid just flew out to Asia. Upon leaving Schengen, they were "interrogated" by the border guards, and ended up having to phone me (who could tell them that, yes, I was cool with this trip.) There are apparently forms one can fill out that authorizes this, but I'm a little confused, because all that poo poo (form, phone call) is super easily forged.

Afterwards, I concluded that the trip maybe rang some alarm bells. My wife doesn't have citizenship, and they were on a one way ticket (going home via a different city) so I can see how that could look a bit like a kidnapping.

Wife and kid have same last name, and she had copied of marriage certs, birth certs etc. etc.

My guess is that within Schengen, you can go hog wild, but I'd get my docs in order just in case.

This can also depend a lot on the border in question. When I was about 7 or 8 (mid 80s) my mother, sister, and myself were detained at the border to Mexico for close to five hours while they got in contact with my dad. Happily married parents, no last name difficulties, etc. This was in the 80s so getting him on the phone basically involved waiting for him to get home from work and answer the phone.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Brawnfire posted:

“i want Eskimo song!”

*repeat 10 times until she does it slowly”

“Ants go marching!”

ohhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Nybble posted:

“i want Eskimo song!”

*repeat 10 times until she does it slowly”

“Ants go marching!”

ohhhh

This is my current situation too, and she gets very angry about it and also calls everything a random name so that I don't know what it is.