Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

i thought microtransactions in a singleplayer game was a joke but apparently dragon's dogma 2 really did that lmao

e: $2 to change your character's appearance hahahahaha

Oh fuckin lmao. Aint buying that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
This is hilarious because the original Dragons Dogma bombed at launch for the same reason of being a single player game stuffed to the gills with micro transactions. It didn’t become successful until Dark Arisen came out and gave you all the micro transactions for free.
So I guess it’s time to wait a year or so for Dark Arisen 2: Arisen Harder to come out in orders to get a playable game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

galagazombie posted:

This is hilarious because the original Dragons Dogma bombed at launch for the same reason of being a single player game stuffed to the gills with micro transactions. It didn’t become successful until Dark Arisen came out and gave you all the micro transactions for free.
So I guess it’s time to wait a year or so for Dark Arisen 2: Arisen Harder to come out in orders to get a playable game.

Might be patched to run over 30 fps too

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I totally forgot that Dragon's Dogma 1 had a bunch of micro transactions. They were all but totally pointless too, they just let you hire other people's pawns that were a higher level than you. Not a defense of them in any way, it's dumb poo poo that shouldn't be in the game.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"But maybe this time people will like our bullshit" - Some dumbass at Capcom, probably.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The wild thing is there's no reason to ever pay money to recustomize your character because you can get it easily and cheaply in-game

Capcom's approach to microtransactions is so weird and stupid. It's even more of a scam than the usual mtx because everything they sell is worthless even from the point of view of a hypothetical person who'd pay money for advantages in a single-player game. You're not even getting advantages!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nice Van My Man posted:

Dark Souls RPG stats don't really matter that much, it's more about weapon upgrades. The only thing grinding will do is help you fix a completely broken build. Once you hit the soft cap in HP and have enough stats to weild your weapon of choice it's not getting much better from there.

Edit: It's god drat William Henry Hairytaint's fault he knows Dark Souls is like catnip to this thread and he keeps taunting us with it. Even I'm getting sick of Dark Souls.

What about Soul Reaver? That's a game with souls in it. It was a fun story and by the end you could tell Amy Hennig just wanted to write slash fiction of Raziel and Kain smooching.

He doesn't have a jaw though?!

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

He doesn't have a jaw though?!

More room for tongue action.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

apparently no way to start a new game? Which is kinda weird if true.

I've played a couple of games recently that either do this or the slightly less bad thing of only having one save that you need to delete to restart the game. This was a solved problem god drat it why are games loving this up? Multiple new game slots, infinite saves, these are not new technologies.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Finished Dark Souls 3.

Got into the Ringed City DLC and got as far as the windmill where floating angels that respawn if you manage to kill them constantly harass you with the DS equivalent of the gatling lasers from X-Com and decided nope, I absolutely will not do this anymore. Went back to the Kiln and finished up.

Very fun game, would agree it's the weakest of the three, and 1000% overstays its welcome.

Looking at the wiki now and apparently I missed so much NPC-related stuff, including an entire game mechanic around going hollow.

On to Sekiro.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

Just me paying to make my character look different (one time use) and paying to save time and fast travel, thank you capcom for your service

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Having not fun with dogma 2, not looking at mtx stuff, don’t care about making a moral stand against monetization/capitalism in my game choices.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Cut Capcom a break guys, they are just a plucky indie dev struggling to release a profitable game for once in their history.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

i thought microtransactions in a singleplayer game was a joke but apparently dragon's dogma 2 really did that lmao

e: $2 to change your character's appearance hahahahaha

They've been doing it to all their games for a decade or more. It's always pathetically trivial stuff too, like in Yakuza games they throw some drinks and food at you that you can just get at a poppo or walking around.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can still laugh at Capcom though. It's ok.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Finished Dark Souls 3.

Got into the Ringed City DLC and got as far as the windmill where floating angels that respawn if you manage to kill them constantly harass you with the DS equivalent of the gatling lasers from X-Com and decided nope, I absolutely will not do this anymore. Went back to the Kiln and finished up.

Very fun game, would agree it's the weakest of the three, and 1000% overstays its welcome.

Looking at the wiki now and apparently I missed so much NPC-related stuff, including an entire game mechanic around going hollow.

On to Sekiro.

The only good part of the Ringed City DLC is the very last boss. Mechanically. Thematically it's dumb and bad.

Sekiro is a different kind of game. Very much not of the same mold as the Souls game. But you probably already knew that. It still has a bunch of stuff for you to completely miss though.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

itry posted:

You can still laugh at Capcom though. It's ok.

The only good part of the Ringed City DLC is the very last boss. Mechanically. Thematically it's dumb and bad.

Sekiro is a different kind of game. Very much not of the same mold as the Souls game. But you probably already knew that. It still has a bunch of stuff for you to completely miss though.

I like The Ringed City okay, but the funniest thing about it is that they were so out of content that they brought Patches back again. In the same game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
doesn't patches kick you off a cliff the moment he remembers who he is? that's pretty funny

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Professor Wayne posted:

doesn't patches kick you off a cliff the moment he remembers who he is? that's pretty funny

Yeah, it is. It feels like a bit of a shrug to go back to that well so soon though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

I like The Ringed City okay, but the funniest thing about it is that they were so out of content that they brought Patches back again. In the same game.

What happens if you kill him? Because I probably killed him, and I don't remember him in the DLC. But it was a while ago.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I refunded DD2 because it doesn't loving work, the mtx poo poo just made me click faster. Also it has the spicy drm apparently?

I was really looking forward to it too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

sounds like it works just fine on playstation

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Yeah, hollow Patches is a good guy and regular Patches is a jerk, the opposite of every other character.

DLC bosses were some of my favorite bosses, I found the Ringed City to be a bit of a slog though.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 22, 2024

itry
Aug 23, 2019

George posted:

I refunded DD2 because it doesn't loving work, the mtx poo poo just made me click faster. Also it has the spicy drm apparently?

I was really looking forward to it too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

guess I'll try it ten years later for $3.99 like I did DD1

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

guess I'll try it ten years later for $3.99 like I did DD1

Buy games ten years later is always the smart move.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Random Stranger posted:

Unless they get delisted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Random Stranger posted:

And don't play them

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

:gizz:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

And don't play them

please don't say it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah if you like eating dusty dried out games that lost all the flavor. You can play pacman today but it's not fresh anymore, like eating 2 week old pizza left on the counter.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

George posted:

Also it has the spicy drm apparently?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the weirdly bad performance.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It's been almost three decades I've been saying Chrono Trigger sucks and I think people are starting to come around and pretty soon I'll be there to receive my WE WERE WRONG / YOU WERE RIGHT apology from The Masses.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
chrono trigger didn't suck but all these games inspired by chrono trigger do

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

haddedam posted:

Since im recovering from a surgery and have only onw arm, i've been getting back into rtses like supcom and call to arms gates of hell.

To save rtses you either need direct control mode "for wode appeal" or to bring back turtling to capture that comfy gamer audience.

Turtling in Men of War Assault Squad 2 is so fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fur20 posted:

chrono trigger didn't suck but all these games inspired by chrono trigger do

Maybe it did suck?

credburn posted:

It's been almost three decades I've been saying Chrono Trigger sucks and I think people are starting to come around and pretty soon I'll be there to receive my WE WERE WRONG / YOU WERE RIGHT apology from The Masses.

Please explain how and/or why.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm willing to entertain the idea that this universally loved game that I have never been able to finish due to boredom sucks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm willing to entertain the idea that this universally loved game that I have never been able to finish due to boredom sucks.

see that's where my take on it gets more in line with yours. i don't think it sucks, i just think it's not quite as good as we thought it was when we were kids. it drags at points, the combat is flashy and beautiful but not very interesting... if i wasn't using it to study vfx animation techniques, i would get bored!

it doesn't suck. it's got plenty of good points. it's just not, yknow, super great or anything like that.

the chrono trigger clones though yes those totally suck

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chrono Trigger's music makes it one of the best videogames.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Random Stranger posted:

buy and play the best dark souls game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_video_games
other cool games that released 10 years ago in 2014:

shovel knight, fez, guacamelee, gta5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted: