Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ihmemies posted:

30+ years of gaming and this must be the #1 buggiest piece of poo poo I've ever laid my hands on.

While acknowledging that this game has some fun bugs and annoying crashes, it's not even in my top 10 buggiest games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's getting a lot of forgiveness for the bugs just due to how much goddamn fun it's been and the potential for it to be even more fun as it evolves.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alkydere posted:

As a side note: don't pick up collectibles or activate bunker doors while carrying an SSD. My animation bugged out to be the hug pose and I was basically T-posing around until I tried to fire a shot. Turns out that unlike X-COM the guns actually fire where they're pointing and my plasma shotgun blew my own feet off.
While annoying and easy to trigger this is fortunately easy to fix by picking up the SSD again.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Would love a mod that changed the sounds of the Sickle and one that skips the cinematic intro to the game and just loads you straight to your ship.

Kind of surprised there actually arent more Nexus mods for Helldivers 2.

I went to nexus looking for AMR scope mods and was similarly disappointed that all the mods are either basically cheats or reshades.

Alkydere posted:

As a side note: don't pick up collectibles or activate bunker doors while carrying an SSD. My animation bugged out to be the hug pose and I was basically T-posing around until I tried to fire a shot. Turns out that unlike X-COM the guns actually fire where they're pointing and my plasma shotgun blew my own feet off.

This animation bug has been in for a while now, every since I started playing a week or two after the game came out I think. I've definitely noticed that your bullets come from the barrel of your gun instead of from your reticle or right in front of center mass of your player model but using the Sickle and Slugger the shots were still shooting forward, like they were coming out of the gun barrel sideways. Plasma Punisher definitely has a much different projectile though, doesn't surprise me that it essentially just shoots straight at your own feet with that animation bug going on. The bug resolves itself whenever you place the SSD in it's recepticle so it might be a good idea to just rush to the final objective to put away the SSD asap while this bug is still in the game. Not a terrible idea otherwise if your group knows what you're doing and is fine with having a single person run off by themselves.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sindai posted:

While annoying and easy to trigger this is fortunately easy to fix by picking up the SSD again.

Yeah I fixed it the first time (triggered by opening up the door) by grabbing the SSD. The second time (triggered by picking up some super credits) a squad mate ran off with the SSD.

FunkyFjord posted:

This animation bug has been in for a while now, every since I started playing a week or two after the game came out I think. I've definitely noticed that your bullets come from the barrel of your gun instead of from your reticle or right in front of center mass of your player model but using the Sickle and Slugger the shots were still shooting forward, like they were coming out of the gun barrel sideways. Plasma Punisher definitely has a much different projectile though, doesn't surprise me that it essentially just shoots straight at your own feet with that animation bug going on. The bug resolves itself whenever you place the SSD in it's recepticle so it might be a good idea to just rush to the final objective to put away the SSD asap while this bug is still in the game. Not a terrible idea otherwise if your group knows what you're doing and is fine with having a single person run off by themselves.

Good to know that completing the objective fixes it in the future. Though considering how cheap death I'm not too worried. I'll just be more careful in the future.

Also I doubt I'll take the plasma shotgun all that often. Just enough to remind me about how it just doesn't work with me.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I finally played with the railgun yesterday and sadly it just isn't any good compared to the EAT.

It's fun to pop hive guards and brood commanders but not overly practical due to reload and weapon switching time. The thing that feels bad is that chargers take at least 3 unsafe shots to the head if not 4 and unsafe mode is annoying since you have to take the shot. Railgun really needs to be 2 unsafe headshots to a charger or have some QOL upgrades like being able to feather the charge and discharge without firing the gun. Current railgun feels bad.

I'm not sure how many railgun shots a bile titan takes but it seems like it'd be a lot.

If there is some tech to reliably pop bile titans with arc thrower, arc thrower will be goat as soon as it stops crashing the game.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Dren posted:

I finally played with the railgun yesterday and sadly it just isn't any good compared to the EAT.

It's fun to pop hive guards and brood commanders but not overly practical due to reload and weapon switching time. The thing that feels bad is that chargers take at least 3 unsafe shots to the head if not 4 and unsafe mode is annoying since you have to take the shot. Railgun really needs to be 2 unsafe headshots to a charger or have some QOL upgrades like being able to feather the charge and discharge without firing the gun. Current railgun feels bad.

I'm not sure how many railgun shots a bile titan takes but it seems like it'd be a lot.

If there is some tech to reliably pop bile titans with arc thrower, arc thrower will be goat as soon as it stops crashing the game.

The railgun really shines against heavy bots or even those AT-ST walker things. The EAT is also effective against heavy bots, but I feel the railgun has a better practical rate of fire. I find myself missing the railgun when going up against a heavy patrol.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

30+ years of gaming and this must be the #1 buggiest piece of poo poo I've ever laid my hands on.

Starfield wants to have a word with you.

Also, you used to be able to reliably one-shot bile titans with the spear when you get them facing you, doesn't seem like that is case anymore.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 22, 2024

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Bot chest has more than 100 health. I assume the one shot happens because the explosion splashes something else. It's probably the center mass shots that are taking two.

Source: I shot a bot in the chest with every gun in controlled circumstances and their health is somewhere between 101 and 110.

So it makes you worse at killing, if you actually stop to aim better :psyduck: This makes too much sense in hindsight for a game with "Leg damage > weakspot damage" but yeesh.

In other stupid "In hindsight..." news. I already knew blasting an illegal tower from long range with (some) support weapons cleared it early. But a hand grenade to the console on the ground also works if you were bringing a machinegun or flamethrower. Why have I never loving tried this until now?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 22, 2024

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I hope game stability is their absolute #1 goal now.

Lmao. Not even close by a wide margin.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ihmemies posted:

I hope game stability is their absolute #1 goal now.

Have you ever played a Bethesda game

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

KlavoHunter posted:

I bought some Red-painted Light armor with Super Credits in the first week or two of the game, did I get robbed??? Is that not "real" Light Armor? I'm so confused. My character is only level 5, if that helps you understand just how stupid and behind I am (totally should've taken a day off of work when it came out to "play for real" and learn everything right away, now I'm hosed)

So a trick I don't think anyone's mentioned is to manage your stamina bar. I think you end up running slower overall if you let yourself dip into the out-of-stamina run, so I think you want to stop running as soon as you hit 5% or so and let your stamina recharge before you start running again. I've noticed myself catching up to other people in Light armor over long runs across the map, for sure.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I feel like I'm lucky. I have had like maybe 3 or 4 crashes at most since I've started playing. Once it was due to the purple question mark that replaced my grenade launcher. But overall I've had a pretty decent experience.

I just jinxed it, didn't I?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Probably.

I had a lot of crashed at first but it was almost entirely do to frame rate issues causes my system to get WAY to hot after three or four runs. I feel like I've had more crashes after the most recent patch but that's still only like five or six hard freezes in total. I feel like I've had more pauses but those have stopped resulting in total freezes since I hard limited fps in nvidia control panel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Triarii posted:

Gotta admit I'm a tad worried about their ability to get the game into a stable state, given that it's been getting worse over time and every time they attempt to fix something they just seem to leave it differently-broken.

Don’t play fatshark games my friend

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've found verifying the files on Steam after any patch seems to ward off the whole "crashing horribly" issue to a manageable level.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

jokes posted:

Don’t play fatshark games my friend

This is my first one, I'm learning things

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ArmyGroup303 posted:

The railgun really shines against heavy bots or even those AT-ST walker things. The EAT is also effective against heavy bots, but I feel the railgun has a better practical rate of fire. I find myself missing the railgun when going up against a heavy patrol.

I'll have to consider Railgun for bots. I wouldn't bring EAT for bots. Maybe a laser cannon or an AMR. I can see how Railgun fits there.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ultra Pro Tips For Always Winning On Helldive Solo And Collecting 500 Super Samples, Every Time:

-backpacks have a longer calldown time than support weapons, so if you've brought both always call down the backpack first

-setting sprint to a key-press instead of a key-hold will not only spare you some agony in your decrepit aging goonhands, it will let you sprint while the map is open; just don't forget to press it again when your stamina depletes

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

-setting sprint to a key-press instead of a key-hold will not only spare you some agony in your decrepit aging goonhands, it will let you sprint while the map is open; just don't forget to press it again when your stamina depletes

I said this once before but hundreds of pages ago. If you sprint via press instead of hold, the game will remember your sprinting state while you're shooting, provided you don't stop moving. This means when you're done shooting and go to press the sprint button again to continue running, it will instead cancel your sprint. This has killed me before and I hate it.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I did it, I killed a Bile Titan with 1 hit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZ0-co9sxE

It immediately returned the favor.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yK5E1iw4o

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’d recognize that Power Rangers SNES music anywhere

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Dren posted:

I'll have to consider Railgun for bots. I wouldn't bring EAT for bots. Maybe a laser cannon or an AMR. I can see how Railgun fits there.

Others can probably comment on the effectiveness of the laser bazooka, anti-material, autocannon and Sir Carl against bots. Team EAT rear end can't really take the fight to a cluster of medium/heavy armor like the railgun can, but is good enough for singles or to break contact. I found the arc cannon to be surprisingly good as a bot crowd control and a medium armor killer in a pinch, but that's not a option for the foreseeable future.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Triarii posted:

This is my first one, I'm learning things

This isn't a Fatshark game, it's by Arrowhead. Fatshark made the Vermintide series, which I enjoyed but I guess a lot of people had problems with them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sokani posted:

This isn't a Fatshark game, it's by Arrowhead. Fatshark made the Vermintide series, which I enjoyed but I guess a lot of people had problems with them.

Isn't this using their engine, though? Which I could see being the cause of a lot of mysterious problems.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Triarii posted:

Isn't this using their engine, though? Which I could see being the cause of a lot of mysterious problems.

Wow actually apparently it is? I had no idea.

quote:

Arrowhead isn't the only developer to use Autodesk Stingray to build its games. Fellow Swedish studio Fatshark used it to build Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, and the recently released Warhammer 40,000: Darktide.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Triarii posted:

different companies but it's the same engine, or it was 6 years ago; they've both customized it extensively since then. The engine seems to be pretty drat good at rendering lots of enemies but struggles with stability.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I guess it's not their engine technically, just the same engine. I had the impression they might have licensed it from Fatshark or something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sokani posted:

they are fun as hell but fatshark just sucks at making games basically. bugs that go unfixed forever, weird microtransactions, etc. But the base game is great and fun for both vermintide and darktide (now that they finally fixed it after a year)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

update: if your stratagem inputs are also set to something other than your movement keys, this should let you sprint while stratting

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Can I just say that sprinting off to do the main objectives entirely alone while the rest of your team actually fights most of the enemies, clears the bases, and does the side objectives is actually fine, but then sprinting directly to the extraction point and just standing there doing nothing for another 5-10 minutes while people try to extract samples (and super samples) is really loving rude.

I actually had a word and said maybe you standing on the other side of the map not doing anything right now isn't very helpful. This person did not take kindly to that, moaned that he did everything on his own and we were "pointlessly fighting over and over", and then we were rewarded with an 120mm barrage from him on exfil.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Gamers. Gamers never changes.

Hwurmp posted:

update: if your stratagem inputs are also set to something other than your movement keys, this should let you sprint while stratting

Can confirm, I've got strat keys set to arrowkeys and never stop moving while dialing in stratagems.

Baby T. Love posted:

I said this once before but hundreds of pages ago. If you sprint via press instead of hold, the game will remember your sprinting state while you're shooting, provided you don't stop moving. This means when you're done shooting and go to press the sprint button again to continue running, it will instead cancel your sprint. This has killed me before and I hate it.

I remember seeing this tip but never really tried it because you can just hold sprint and then bring up the map and it stays up unless you trip/climb over something or get slowed by foliage, or take damage. You can also hold sprint and then the stratagem arm band key and do both at the same time. I've never really had pinky ache issues though so obviously ymmv and people might want to rebind keys.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FunkyFjord posted:

I remember seeing this tip but never really tried it because you can just hold sprint and then bring up the map
On default controls, holding shift+tab simultaneously will bring up the steam overlay.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Oh right, I did have to turn that off. Probably better to rebind but I almost never use steam overlay anyway. Definitely a thing that should taken into account when designing a game thats going to be on steam though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why does the game keep defaulting me to Angels Venture and medium difficulty.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

jokes posted:

Every time you clear an objective there's always some samples nearby. So if you're with the core group you'll likely pick up about half the available samples on your normal path through main objectives.

You could also just grab samples without killing anything or clearing objectives. Against bugs, collecting samples is very easy because the majority of them aren't good at killing someone who is in a full-on dead-rear end sprint. For sure you can just grab super samples and hit da bricks, they're super easy to spot/pick up, but samples don't appear, they're just easier to spot when you clear objectives.

They need a light armor that reduces the range at which enemies find you and increases the range at which samples pop up on screen.

This basically exists with the light armor that has the scout perk. Just so you know. IIRC it expands the range that you find poi on the mini map, and once you get the hang of where samples spawn in on each poi, it's very easy to clean up, and end up with 30+/15+/max samples on a map.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did they make evac missions harder? Had a 7 that required 50 to win. I could have sworn it's always 20 or 30

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

what's the point of gundog when laserdog exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ohrwurm posted:

what's the point of gundog when laserdog exists?

Sadly, laser obsoletes it