Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I'm imagining more of a slow burn.

Star Wars's popularity was famously a slow burn, yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

They probably sold billions of the popcorn bucket

It sold out before the movie came out and people couldn’t get it lol

Glad I secured mine before the rush

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ram dass in hell posted:

It has been 50 years since star wars

star wars -> lord of the rings -> dunc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kalel posted:

star wars -> Harry Potter ->lord of the rings -> dunc

fixed

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I suppose the first HP movie was technically released a couple weeks before FotR.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i support your right to do this

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally saw this. Loved the visuals, sound, and all the acting except Zendaya. Really cool to have a big budget series with a story arc like this, I hope they don't cop out in the final film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

distortion park posted:

Finally saw this. Loved the visuals, sound, and all the acting except Zendaya. Really cool to have a big budget series with a story arc like this, I hope they don't cop out in the final film.

Everyone else is praising Zendaya, what didn't work for you?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I never bought that she was either some elite warrior warrior (whoever played Chanis friend did a much better job) or that there was any chemistry with Paul. I think it was the accent that really killed it for me

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
I like that Fremen women in the movies are members of the war party and not staying home weaving money into their hair and protesting that Jamis was a good husband because he didn't hit her.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

PriorMarcus posted:

While I didn't particularly dislike her, I was reminded of the quip Sergio Leone made about Clint Eastwood: "He only had two facial expressions: one with the hat and one without it". Zendaya has one with the scowl and one without it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zendaya didn't really stand out to me but she did her job fine and i thought she and chalomet had good chemistry

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

While I didn't particularly dislike her, I was reminded of the quip Sergio Leone made about Clint Eastwood: "He only had two facial expressions: one with the hat and one without it". Zendaya has one with the scowl and one without it.

yea the face acting was what really stuck out on second viewing even though I warmed to her quite a bit more then before.

it does say a lot, though, that a big budget sci-fi movie has only 1-2 of the actors feeling weak or undercooked. Javier Bardem in particular was outstanding in his subtlety. Transitioning from warm mentor to cold fanatic just using his eyes and speech patterns was incredible.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I like that Fremen women in the movies are members of the war party and not staying home weaving money into their hair and protesting that Jamis was a good husband because he didn't hit her.

I have an aging SmoothBrain but I don't recall that being different than the books. Harah was classically feminine I guess but Chani took over Paul's challengers to save time, women were straight up football throwing their babies in battle for distractions and Alia (toddler) was commanding a division when she was captured.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think some are forgetting that dune is a weird thing for weirdos. It will never be as big as star wars. The same way NIN was never as big as Rolling Stones. I figure it's doing pretty well given the territory.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All the big megafranchises these days start as video games. Movies are for olds.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jehde posted:

I think some are forgetting that dune is a weird thing for weirdos. It will never be as big as star wars. The same way NIN was never as big as Rolling Stones. I figure it's doing pretty well given the territory.

It's widely lauded as the best science fiction novel of all time, I think it just had to exist in the theater of the mind until technology existed to really show it on the big screen. Star Wars was created to be a movie and it was feasible in the 70's to create models for the starships and otherwise plausibly create every scene. Something infeasible to display simply wouldn't have been added.

In this essay I plan to...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Best sci-fi novel of all time is still kinda weirdo territory tbh.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Best sci-fi novel of all time is still kinda weirdo territory tbh.

Literally every subforum and thread on this site is a collection of nerds and their hobby.

Not sure why that flex is necessary.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

*posts in Goons with Spoons*

The poo poo you care about it STUPID

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s not a flex? You replied to a statement saying it’s a weirdo nerd property as if “best sci-fi novel” was a rebuttal to that statement.

I’m here in the dune thread enjoying dune. Not flexing on anyone.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If you're going to flex in the Dune thread, it needs to be one of those weird prana-bindu flexes where it's your ear muscles or your big toe or something.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Scags McDouglas posted:

Literally every subforum and thread on this site is a collection of nerds and their hobby.

Not sure why that flex is necessary.

Yeah, dogg, we're all loving weirdos around here.

I take your point that Dune is widely regarded as the greatest SF novel of all time, but it's also widely regarded as a dense and esoteric SF novel that isn't for casual readers.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PeterWeller posted:

I take your point that Dune is widely regarded as the greatest SF novel of all time, but it's also widely regarded as a dense and esoteric SF novel that isn't for casual readers.

A largely unearned reputation considering it is one of the best selling SF novels of all time

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AnEdgelord posted:

A largely unearned reputation considering it is one of the best selling SF novels of all time

Yeah, it's silly as hell, but you'll hear people talk about Dune like it's written by Joyce.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I guess a lot of fans first read in in high school. Which is both a proof that it’s not that hard to understand and also a potential reason for why some people remember it being so.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bugblatter posted:

I guess a lot of fans first read in in high school. Which is both a proof that it’s not that hard to understand and also a potential reason for why some people remember it being so.

I remember being about 12 and reading "Jessica's training had included many drugs" and having to put the book down for a moment to digest that knowledge

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Oh I'm certainly being a bitch here (many people are saying!) but it's nice to have a little alcove to celebrate the fact that something we all hold dear as something we like finally got its chance on the movie screen for real.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
For the second time, no less!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's in a funny place given over half of what we even know as sci-fi was built on gleefully plundering Dune for ideas, but it also lends itself a lot better to the kind of epic movies than a lot of things, and has enough weird poo poo go on to age better than most despite or sometimes even because of that.

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
I hope they adapt Destination: Void next.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*trying as hard as I can to get it adapted* Blindsight by Peter Watts is weird, dense and unfilmable!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dune was a landmark book because it had a meaty and thought out setting and conflict. Compared to thinly sketched crap like Foundation, it was a revelation. The narration hopping is confusing and the last act is rushed, but it otherwise works.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

God Hole posted:

*trying as hard as I can to get it adapted* Blindsight by Peter Watts is weird, dense and unfilmable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkR2hnXR0SM

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dune was a landmark book because it had a meaty and thought out setting and conflict. Compared to thinly sketched crap like Foundation, it was a revelation. The narration hopping is confusing and the last act is rushed, but it otherwise works.

Yeah Herbert was instrumental in wresting scifi away from the likes of Asimov and Heinlein and opening it up for people like LeGuin or P.K. Dick. I don't think he was consciously part of the 'New Wave' scifi movement but Dune was a big part of showing publishers there was a market for higher brow scifi that could be more literary and thematically complex.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man, I need to revisit some LeGuin. Loved her books when I was a kid and have maintained a high regard for her ever since, but haven’t actually read her stuff as an adult.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

God Hole posted:

there's certainly no way they could adapt wolfe's book of the new sun

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah Herbert was instrumental in wresting scifi away from the likes of Asimov and Heinlein and opening it up for people like LeGuin or P.K. Dick. I don't think he was consciously part of the 'New Wave' scifi movement but Dune was a big part of showing publishers there was a market for higher brow scifi that could be more literary and thematically complex.

Pretty sure he was just mashing together stuff that interested him; ecology, history, social sciences, drugs and pussy magic, into a pretty tried and true sci-fi framework that he probably also finds interesting, though that's usually how new genres and movements start.

I think the real trick is that he brought all those themes into a sci-fi story without making it boring as hell, too.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure he was just mashing together stuff that interested him; ecology, history, social sciences, drugs and pussy magic, into a pretty tried and true sci-fi framework that he probably also finds interesting, though that's usually how new genres and movements start.

I think the real trick is that he brought all those themes into a sci-fi story without making it boring as hell, too.

That's sort of what I meant by him not consciously being a part of the New Wave Scifi movement but he ended up being very influential anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bugblatter posted:

Man, I need to revisit some LeGuin. Loved her books when I was a kid and have maintained a high regard for her ever since, but haven’t actually read her stuff as an adult.

Lathe Of Heaven, Left Hand Of Darkness, and The Dispossessed would be a magical run within a few years for a regular writer, but that barely scratches the surface of her insane output in that period. Admittedly I've never gotten into Earthsea, but I don't think she ever writes bad book, just some more impenetrable ones