Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Abathur was such a cool and unique hero in HotS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's also worth noting that Blizzard has just had a massive change in ownership + top-level management so it's too early to tell what style of fuckery might be coming down the pipe and/or how much they'll be left to their own devices.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the just insane, pervasive, unrestrained toxicity of the playerbase for years on end left an absolutely horrible taste in the mouths of most people who played it at one point or another

The optimist in me wants to believe that this was because paying players "deserve" to play but it's probably closer to the truth to say that blizzard "can't be hosed" to stamp out that sort of thing because that'd need resources they don't have.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
It’s probably a hot take but I think that going to hyper competitive 5v5 fights were the wrong call for the casual OW audience, but I think not updating the game was the kiss of death for OW1 and OW2 has never added enough to make it feel like an actual sequel.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Like, are any of you actively playing the game? Its more popular than its ever been, maybe just not with the friends you used to play with.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

5v5 change was strictly anti-competitive.
They hosed up the whole core of the game not to be more competitive but to improve wait times for the casuals.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's a small change but it does seem they're walking back some of the worst of the monetisation with the changes to the battlepass next season. if they dropped skin prices in general that would also help, but that seems unlikely if they're having issues with player retention.

No one wants to pay money for skins in a game where you don’t see your own skin about 99% of the time. Furthermore, every attempt by these poo poo sticks to get money out of (anyone) after they literally took away a game I payed money for is laughable.

Yes I’m still steamed I spent $40 on OW1 and Blizzard was allowed to destroy that game, utterly, and give me basically nothing in exchange.

Rawrbomb posted:

Like, are any of you actively playing the game? Its more popular than its ever been, maybe just not with the friends you used to play with.

Does anyone actually believe this ?? Lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rawrbomb posted:

i dont think those words mean what you think they do lol

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

With who seems like this is a statement that would need some sort of backing.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Blizzard has literally come out and said that OW2 isn’t doing that hot. This discussion started when someone quoted Jason Schrier about him putting an article together about how OW2 is struggling.

Maybe it isn’t, but the signs aren’t good such as them laying everyone related to the PvE off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

No one wants to pay money for skins in a game where you don’t see your own skin about 99% of the time.

I wish that was true but I have seen a LOT of k-pop and cowboy bebop skins around.

Honestly, I'd probably buy a legendary skin for if it was like, five bux, but I guess my idea of what skins are worth doesn't match up with what the market will bear.

EDIT:

Lord Packinham posted:

Maybe it isn’t, but the signs aren’t good such as them laying everyone related to the PvE off.

hot take, but this is probably a good thing imo. not for the people that got laid off, but for the game. If they're not moving forward with PvE then they need to shift development resources to PvP. I would still like to see high quality yearly PvE Archives events but who fuckin knows at this point.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It just hit peak steam player count the other day or some poo poo didn’t it?

I know I have like 900 hours in OW and I and my friends are definitely having more fun with it now than at any point since OW1 launch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

peak steam player count is a questionable metric when it wasnt on steam for a long while. the game is definitely not as popular as it was in ow1's heyday.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

It just hit peak steam player count the other day or some poo poo didn’t it?

It didn't. That was disinformation.

It just went back to the same numbers as between October and December.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

For sure but 80k concurrent on Steam plus however many on bnet is by no metric a dead game or one in any real danger.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

For sure but 80k concurrent on Steam plus however many on bnet is by no metric a dead game or one in any real danger.

The statement was "it's more popular than ever".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

its 40k concurrent players. 80k is the all-time peak from a year ago when it first came out on steam.

that still isnt a literally dead game but it is lower than other games on the market.

for comparison, the 24 hour peak for other games is

apex: 377,722
rainbow six siege: 154,962
war thunder: 80,646
tf2: 69,806
counter strike 2: 1,415,614

for the amount of money and time they put into it i imagine they want better numbers than 'competing with a 20 year old game that hasnt gotten a major update since overwatch 1 came out.

the game isnt in any danger of shutting down and it isnt literally dead but they are not good numbers for the scale aaa multiplayer shooters expect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OW2 casually hitting the DayZ/Left4Dead 2/Spacewar numbers on Steam.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

hot take, but this is probably a good thing imo. not for the people that got laid off, but for the game. If they're not moving forward with PvE then they need to shift development resources to PvP. I would still like to see high quality yearly PvE Archives events but who fuckin knows at this point.

It doesn't sound like it worked like that, they just had a team working on PvE stuff and just canned them. The normal PvP team didn't get more resources or anything.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fair, it almost certainly isn’t more popular than ever. I wonder what the bnet player count has looked like over the years

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
The article is out

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-03-22/blizzard-entertainment-makes-big-changes-as-overwatch-2-struggles?srnd=undefined

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think the only really new information in this article is that the game did poorly enough that the staff didn't get bonuses. Also gently caress Kottick for implementing that system.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I think the “new” info there is the game isn’t secretly making a boatload of money. It’s legitimately way behind World of Warcraft. It’s outright struggling and could go into maintenance mode at any point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just kill it and then start selling Overwatch Classic.

I know they want to.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I mean this isn't remotely surprising but it seems like the first time I've seen it actually confirmed:

quote:

Overwatch 2 developers were informed that the company does not plan to finish any of the remaining planned PvE content and will instead double down on competitive player vs. player gameplay, according to the people familiar.

I'm pretty sure they've just been radio silent on the PvE but this sounds like a pretty firm "no more story missions"

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sandwolf posted:

Does anyone actually believe this ?? Lmao

socialsecurity posted:

With who seems like this is a statement that would need some sort of backing.

I'm very much comparing the end of OW1 to the current state of OW2, and the progress its made over the last year. The games overall engagement with its community has increased. Views for Overwatch on both twitch and youtube are up, people seem to be actively playing. Queue times are good, match making is better than it has been in the past. The actual state of the game in season 9 is pretty fantastic. Drops aside, it sits on twitch above 25k on most days, and when drops are active, count is very high (80-120k). I was actually pretty surprised to see 38k people watching Overwatch 2 last night on twitch without drops.

Sandwolf posted:

No one wants to pay money for skins in a game where you don’t see your own skin about 99% of the time. Furthermore, every attempt by these poo poo sticks to get money out of (anyone) after they literally took away a game I payed money for is laughable.
Who's no one? I see tons of paid skins from OW2 frequently in the games I'm playing. The colab skins, and even some of the shop skins through the

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Man Diablo is mid at best, Overwatch is speed running to maintenance mode, WoW classic is about to hit the expansions people are divided on,and regular WoW is running on fumes.

They really are just nuking all the old Blizzard stuff & going all in on CoD huh?

Man I so sad about WoW & Overwatch man, they just are dying the worst slow painful deaths.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

My apologies everyone, I forgot how loving stupid people are with their money despite a worldwide recession, I recant!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Drops aside, it sits on twitch above 25k on most days, and when drops are active, count is very high (80-120k). I was actually pretty surprised to see 38k people watching Overwatch 2 last night on twitch without drops.

I think OW2 might have hit both it's lowest and highest points tbh. If they continue this kind of update and engagement schedule it'll probably settle into a mid-tier user range.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
Its frustrating to see the fall of what could have been an amazing game. Its like they took everything amazing about it and strangled it in the name of profits and glitzy showcases. They could have easily ridden a steady wave of popularity if they just kept doing those character release videos for each character and put effort into each one. People literally were tuning in or buying the game just to see where the stories and characters went.

Instead they did a few and then....nothing. poo poo, APEX is doing more cinematic things almost in tandem with OW dropping off doing it and it shows with their steady popularity. I mean look at the latest video showcasing APEX's new season and level up abilities. It generated excitement and engagement and showed that the team was at least at that point, focused on deepening the game. A lot of people were here for the PVE stuff in OW. I myself didn't like it much, but I was glad it was there because it made the game more charming and fun and showed some form of progression with the character and world building and opened up opportunities for abilities to change and be modified in a fun way. Why not have the casual balance stuff with the auto aim and sticky grenades there and leave all the HARDCORE balance stuff for ranked. Thats generally two separate groups that play it AND you can see which one works out best in the end with that kind of feedback.

If they focused on community building with better moderation that has A PERSON looking at the reports and language in the game and created more transparency in their match ups, I think it could be salvaged. So much of the bad behavior is done by folks skirting or abusing the system in order to maintain racist, sexist, and homophobic behaviors that SHOULD get you kicked out but instead they punish "gg ez" nonsense. Like THAT is what keeps people upset at night and not the death threats. I have literally seen folks and even had some of my accounts sanctioned for saying nothing but "you must defeat sheng long to stand a chance". The height of toxicity.

It is still crazy to me that these competative/ranked games that lock you onto teams with randoms doesn't showcase the stats of each person, their character usage, medals earned, etc. I think that more than anything creates such toxicity and disassociation than any balance or map decision. It is like asking players if they want to be on offense or defense for a football team and you better hope everyone has drafted the right role, otherwise you're gonna have a team full of people who want to play QB and its gonna go poorly. If someone wants to play Mercy, let them queue as Mercy under the support banner, if we even have role queue at all.Let players see who they are with (not necessarily up against) so they can make better decisions and adjust play styles accordingly instead of throwing everyone into the map and expecting the top 500 soldier to just instantly swap and do just as well on widow or junk. There isn't enough time for most players to be THAT good at THAT many characters, and punishing people both in and out of game for it is not a good way to build a returning player base. League of Legends has something like this and it made the game MORE accessible and popular by allowing players to adjust who they want to be or play as when they measure up their own team and synergy abilities. It encourages team work and communication instead of 5 silo'd players hoping to do their best in what COULD be a dynamic game! And if they don't like the team comp, then folks can vote to back out or go forward, let the players design their experience a bit better instead of mandating stuff like this.

I know this is just shouting into the wind becasue its pretty clear the goal is "battle pass bux" from the team, but got drat. This could have been a game folks loved and stayed engaged with but they've done their best to just alienate their players with automation, microtransactions, and a complete disregard for the folks that made the game what it was.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Now that story is basically dead I can say this:

Literally every fan interpretation of Dva has been better than what we got because they aren't concerned with appealing to literally everyone so it isn't painfully generic.

Same goes for Mercy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally every fan interpretation of everyone is better because theres anything there at all

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
i love how some of the owcs games are shitstomps like a qp game

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

literally every fan interpretation of everyone is better because theres anything there at all

Got me there lol

Me realizing that Tracer has more chemistry with Widowmaker than her actual girlfriend because she's actually allowed to talk to about Widowmaker

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

gremlin dva is the best thing to come out of this terrible game

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Relyssa posted:

gremlin dva is the best thing to come out of this terrible game

She will outlive it ,just like she did Starcraft ,the gremlin is eternal

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SirKibbles posted:

Man Diablo is mid at best, Overwatch is speed running to maintenance mode, WoW classic is about to hit the expansions people are divided on,and regular WoW is running on fumes.

They really are just nuking all the old Blizzard stuff & going all in on CoD huh?

Man I so sad about WoW & Overwatch man, they just are dying the worst slow painful deaths.

What? WoW is going through its best expansion since Legion at latest, it has a ton of content and people playing is way up over Shadowlands, with very good reason.They announced THREE expansions at the last Blizzcon. WoW is doing quite well, even though I don't personally care for the new Battle Royale mode. I don't know what information you're going off of, but WoW is neither running on fumes nor dying a slow death.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

What's the fix for the game suddenly just deciding to lag in mid-fight? OW1 didn't do this and it is definitely not the computer.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 23, 2024

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Rawrbomb posted:

I'm very much comparing the end of OW1 to the current state of OW2, and the progress its made over the last year. The games overall engagement with its community has increased. Views for Overwatch on both twitch and youtube are up, people seem to be actively playing. Queue times are good, match making is better than it has been in the past. The actual state of the game in season 9 is pretty fantastic. Drops aside, it sits on twitch above 25k on most days, and when drops are active, count is very high (80-120k). I was actually pretty surprised to see 38k people watching Overwatch 2 last night on twitch without drops.

Who's no one? I see tons of paid skins from OW2 frequently in the games I'm playing. The colab skins, and even some of the shop skins through the

Most of this thread just seems to have a vested personal interest in the failure of the game. I play often and see the same things you do, with an active group of friends who never gave a poo poo about PvE and don't event pay attention to most of the social media grumbling. Fact is a game that is top 10 on streaming and social platforms month after month is very popular. More than that, nobody has numbers of their own to say much conclusive one way or the other.