Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Russell Wilson providing incredible value to the savvy Pittsburgh franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

hifi posted:

I think fans of other teams and mild fans of the cardinals can name 3 people on the cardinals offense at best. Insane that they are 7th in spending

I could have done a decent rundown last year because fantasybrain, but then all the receivers left lol. Looking at Ourlads I missed that they got Desmond Ridder for Rondale Moore. I don't know why you would really want him even as a backup but whatever. He's probably better than Clayton Thune.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Surprised Tits are so low since the vast majority of their FA signings were offensive, but that's what happens when your offense otherwise consists of Nuk and a bunch of rookies and/or JAGs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1771194717524398559/photo/1

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KEEP THAT rear end GOING

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lmao

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Caboose Committee is an S-tier username.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Surprised Tits are so low since the vast majority of their FA signings were offensive, but that's what happens when your offense otherwise consists of Nuk and a bunch of rookies and/or JAGs.

With a little work over the summer, I think those Tits are in for a big lift

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Andy Reid preparing to scout punters:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Me googling Tommy Townsend butt

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Me googling Tommy Townsend butt

Don't turn this thread into a house of lies. No butt stuff.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

NFL GMs like big butts and they always lie

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lol remember when Chiefs fans said they'd get a first?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1771369568109273229?t=C8AhlR0_WbWOv3viID1lRA&s=19

The Bucs got a 2024 3rd for Carlton Davis.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Punching the air IRL. a 2025 3rd. gently caress money. Titan up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

forgive me for my ignorance but why are the chiefs in such a hurry to trade their superstar cornerback

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He wants to get paid and they don't have the cap space

Titans sure are throwing around a lot of money for a team with a massive question mark at QB. That usually ends well. (That being said, I do admire Levis's gunslingingness and I hope he works out)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

xbilkis posted:

Titans sure are throwing around a lot of money for a team with a massive question mark at QB. That usually ends well. (That being said, I do admire Levis's gunslingingness and I hope he works out)

may as well when you're not paying qb money

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

wandler20 posted:

Lol remember when Chiefs fans said they'd get a first?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1771369568109273229?t=C8AhlR0_WbWOv3viID1lRA&s=19

The Bucs got a 2024 3rd for Carlton Davis.

hell ya titan up baybeeeee

xbilkis posted:

they know exactly who's starting, and he's on rookie money, why not

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

xbilkis posted:

Levis basically has this season to show if he’s got the sauce and if he doesn’t, the team will for sure be moving on a new qb next offseason. I love it, they are putting him in position to have great pieces on offense and basically have all the pieces you could want to assess a guy who isn’t anointed yet. The defense is still a little thin on every position but CB and we have enough draft picks to at least flesh things out.

I’m so pumped. Even if sneed falls off a little after getting away from Spagnuolo the offensive improvements will give us enough to figure out where Billy jeans stands. Good strategy from our FO

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Levis basically has this season to show if he’s got the sauce and if he doesn’t, the team will for sure be moving on a new qb next offseason. I love it, they are putting him in position to have great pieces on offense and basically have all the pieces you could want to assess a guy who isn’t anointed yet.

lol what

OL is bottom 5, pass catcher corp is bottom 5, RB platoon is maybe mid.

That’s including the Ridley signing.

Titans need a lot more help on offense to support Billy Jeans.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol what

the nfl draft is in april

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
They have an excellent top two WRs with a pretty weak supporting cast that will likely be getting a high draft pick added to the bunch. They have in all likelihood a top ten pick going towards a left tackle in addition to a high pick at LG coming off his rookie year and a guy who was pegged as the best free agent center getting added to the line. Even if both of those position groups were atrocious last year, and they certainly were, they are in position to be like league average going forward. It’s a good situation to assess your new starter in IMO. Obviously it’s not like a perfect situation for him in the sense that it’s not some flawless roster but it gives you a better sense at assessing his performance without having to say that the surrounding roster is responsible for either propping him up or dragging him down

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol what

Hopkins and Ridley are bottom 5?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m not sold on Levis yet so don’t take this as me being a Homer please but I really do think that the team is giving him a good opportunity to show whether they can build around him or not without tilting the scale for him or hanging him out to dry

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I’m not sold on Levis yet so don’t take this as me being a Homer please but I really do think that the team is giving him a good opportunity to show whether they can build around him or not without tilting the scale for him or hanging him out to dry

As an outsider I actually agree with your assessment. Your FO has gone out and got the best guy available at WR in FA even if I think it was an overpay, right there for the best OL prospect and a good FA / trade class. I liked Levis coming out and I don't mind what i saw from him last year either.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
honestly cant believe no one beat that offer

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I was skeptical because I feel like bad-to-mid teams splurging in free agency usually ends with them stringing together a few mediocre years before they realize they're not good enough to justify having a bunch of expensive vets and blow everything up.

But I like that move a lot more for the Titans seeing that Sneed is on a pretty reasonable contract; I was expecting him to fully reset the market based on the relatively modest trade return. It's weird that CB seems to be the one position that's resistant to having contracts shoot above the $20m AAV mark. Obviously the Sauce/Surtain contracts will shatter the ceiling eventually, but it's wild that the Jaire Alexander deal is still holding strong as the market-setter two years later

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

maybe I'm crazy but another year of sneed and going for a third consecutive ring seems more valuable than the return the chiefs got for him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

xbilkis posted:

I was skeptical because I feel like bad-to-mid teams splurging in free agency usually ends with them stringing together a few mediocre years before they realize they're not good enough to justify having a bunch of expensive vets and blow everything up.

Yeah this is definitely true but those teams are typically making those moves as a declaration that they will be good this year. The titans aren't doing that they are making moves to fill gaps so they can put their young qb in a position to grow and give their rookie hc talent to establish his vision for the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more good players > less good players

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Chris Jones > Sneed

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

more good players > less good players

Yeah I think it's this.

Saints have proven that the cap doesn't mean poo poo.

Sign where you're weakest. Draft where you need cheapness and hope you have a banger QB.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think their approach is the correct one and agree that the Titans are at least trying. I just think the actual status of their offense is closer to “hanging him out to dry” than to “tilting the scale for him”.

I acknowledge that “bottom 5 pass catchers” was too harsh. I don’t think it’s particularly strong though.
  • Hopkins is going to be 32. His game was never about speed but he’s dropping off. 2023 was his first (almost) full season since 2020.
  • Burks needs a massive improvement.
  • Ridley will be 29 for most of the season and he had a solid 60 ypg in 2023 (~31st among qualifying receivers). Even so, he had some bad performances last year with boneheaded mistakes. Now if we are thinking glass half full, then maybe those easy to fix issues do in fact get fixed.
  • Chigoziem at TE is meh.

If Titans go OL with their top two picks, and both of those picks are immediately decent starters, and if Hops puts out a healthy despite-age season, then yeah I agree that could be solid enough to figure out what Levis is.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Intruder posted:

maybe I'm crazy but another year of sneed and going for a third consecutive ring seems more valuable than the return the chiefs got for him

I don’t think the return was particularly good for KC but I don’t think losing Sneed is going to sink KC’s chances of another SB win.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's not going to sink their chances but a third in next year's draft sure as hell isn't going to bolster them

Well whatever, in theory the Chiefs getting worse is good for the Texans. Remains to be seen if the Texans can take the next step though

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The ~20 mil in cap space for the Chiefs is pretty useful, but it would've been more useful before all the big name WRs were off the board. It didn't seem like there was any indication Sneed would hold out, so it's odd timing to take such a weak return.

I would hope everyone is beyond "No way Mahomes can win without this guy" thinking at this point, though. That's the fast lane to extreme disappointment.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

very true

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So the Chiefs only got back the same pick they would have gotten as a compensatory if they had just let him walk?

With the added bonus of not being able to use their cap space in FA. Yeah that was a fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Chiefs are aiming for a threepeat and there's some value in having a say where a really good CB goes. Their season probably doesn't end on a Titans pick but there are several places Sneed could have walked to that makes their path harder.