Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I remember looking at infographic diagrams in the paper during the Kursk incident. That was crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

:stare:

Holy poo poo. It gets worse and worse the more you read.

In hindsight this foreboded the disastrous performance of the black sea fleet in this war.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Keisari posted:

Can you elaborate what you mean with "the Kursk" in this context? I'd like to read about it if it's something similar

When the Kursk incident happened, the US and other countries knew pretty much right away what happened, because they picked up the explosion. Putin denied there was an accident, and insisted everything was fine and they didn't need help. The West scrambled resources for a rescue mission but Putin turned them away. By the time he conceded they were in over their heads, it was a salvage mission, not a rescue. Turned out that there was an air pocket, and the sailors were alive for hours and hours after the explosion. They were just stuck there until they suffocated.

Essentially, they all died so that Putin wouldn't have to look like he needed the Wests help. But the accident made Russia look like a ridiculous trash can country that desperately needed help, so their deaths didn't even get to achieve that. Just an unbelievably stupid affair that we will likely see more parallels to in days to come.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Kremlin did not handle the aftermath of the Kursk incident any better, including sedating a grieving widow with a syringe from behind well she yelled at a senior naval officer.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/aug/25/kursk.russia3

Keisari
May 24, 2011

acidx posted:

When the Kursk incident happened, the US and other countries knew pretty much right away what happened, because they picked up the explosion. Putin denied there was an accident, and insisted everything was fine and they didn't need help. The West scrambled resources for a rescue mission but Putin turned them away. By the time he conceded they were in over their heads, it was a salvage mission, not a rescue. Turned out that there was an air pocket, and the sailors were alive for hours and hours after the explosion. They were just stuck there until they suffocated.

Essentially, they all died so that Putin wouldn't have to look like he needed the Wests help. But the accident made Russia look like a ridiculous trash can country that desperately needed help, so their deaths didn't even get to achieve that. Just an unbelievably stupid affair that we will likely see more parallels to in days to come.

Thanks! I can see the parallels now.

Popete posted:

The Kremlin did not handle the aftermath of the Kursk incident any better, including sedating a grieving widow with a syringe from behind well she yelled at a senior naval officer.

What the gently caress. This is totally nuts.

Edit:

"You'll get your sons" god drat that's cold.

Keisari fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 23, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

acidx posted:

yeah, putin is a prideful rear end in a top hat who cares more about apperence and "national pride" then help. life doesnt mean poo poo to him. i bet you money he will be callouse as gently caress about the victims of this attack and probably poo poo talk the widows too.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

He already publicly, even ostentatiously, dismissed Western warnings about this exact scenario. And the terrorists are still on the loose.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, how does a police state let a gang if terrorist male a clean getaway

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, how does a police state let a gang if terrorist male a clean getaway

police states are for the most part focused on oppressing their own citizens who aren't organized or armed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

beer_war posted:

He already publicly, even ostentatiously, dismissed Western warnings about this exact scenario. And the terrorists are still on the loose.

yeah. while i dont think its a false flag, i wouldnt be shocked if putin got warnings from his own people too and then just didnt do anything out of stuburness or even "well now i have more recruits for the next meatwave".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. while i dont think its a false flag, i wouldnt be shocked if putin got warnings from his own people too and then just didnt do anything out of stuburness or even "well now i have more recruits for the next meatwave".

I think it's likely that Putin simply can't conceive a sort-of-enemy warning about this sort of thing honestly; on account of being an unprincipled scumbag who thinks no one actually has any principles.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Popete posted:

If you want a very poorly edited youtube video on the disaster, that clocks in under 2 hours due to dick jokes and meandering tangents, which also covers the grieving widow, you can find that here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-S9-ZXzqA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

I think it's likely that Putin simply can't conceive a sort-of-enemy warning about this sort of thing honestly; on account of being an unprincipled scumbag who thinks no one actually has any principles.

To be fair, there was one time when Russia warned America about something, and then America failed to act. Don't think Obama called it blackmail, though.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/boston-bombing-anniversary/russia-warned-u-s-about-tsarnaev-spelling-issue-let-him-n60836

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

buglord posted:

If you want a very poorly edited youtube video on the disaster, that clocks in under 2 hours due to dick jokes and meandering tangents, which also covers the grieving widow, you can find that here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-S9-ZXzqA

What a recommendation

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Keisari posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo. It gets worse and worse the more you read.

In hindsight this foreboded the disastrous performance of the black sea fleet in this war.

Oh man, I never heard of this incident before, it defines Putin's character so well.

Personally the one thing that made me realize for the first time that maybe Putin was a specially lovely person was when he refused to talk to president Dilma because she was a woman lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

There is also a movie about the Kursk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
It’s pretty wild to say it’s reasonable for the US to ask Ukraine to stop slashing wildly at the beast that is murdering and raping them and their children. Decorum, I guess.

Remember, Ukraine attacking infrastructure is literally what Russia, the invader has been doing, without the rape.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EasilyConfused posted:

What a recommendation

Well, they're goons. Faint praise is all we deserve.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

To be fair... posted:

It’s pretty wild to say it’s reasonable for the US to ask Ukraine to stop slashing wildly at the beast that is murdering and raping them and their children. Decorum, I guess.

Remember, Ukraine attacking infrastructure is literally what Russia, the invader has been doing, without the rape.

For what it´s worth, Ukraine denies receiving any such statements from the US:

zone posted:

Ukraine's officials have just made a statement that denies they were told to stop striking oil refineries by the USA.
https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/ukraine-denies-us-requested-to-halt-strikes-1711118430.html

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Lid posted:

Putin Knew

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-united-states-must-share-any-information-it-has-attack-near-moscow-2024-03-22/

""The White House said it sees no signs that Ukraine or Ukrainians are involved in the terrorist attack in Moscow," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.
"On what basis do officials in Washington draw any conclusions in the midst of a tragedy about someone's innocence?"
She said that if Washington had information, it should be shared and that if Washington had no information, it should not be talking in such a way."

It's just beyond satire. The US warns Russia about an imminent ISIS terror attack. Putin publicly denies that warning could be real. The attack happens, ISIS claims credit. The Russian government demands more information from the US, as it could have been Ukraine to blame.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

Oh man, I never heard of this incident before, it defines Putin's character so well.

Not directed at you specifically, but it's weird seeing folks who aren't familiar with the Kursk disaster. It was a global news story for weeks and is up there with Chornobyl and the August Coup on the list of huge SovietRussian fuckups in recent memory.

But I guess it did happen a quarter century ago now...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For those of us in the US it was probably over shadowed by 9/11 happening a year later. I don't think it's particularly well known here. I for example did not learn about it until probably the last ~4 years.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yeah, I blame not being quite twelve at the time and not being hugely invested in foreign events. Also yes, the world changing completely a year latter probably didn't help.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 23, 2024

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Sounds like there's some Boston Marathon poo poo going on. There were pictures of a white Renault that were being passed around yesterday that was linked to the attackers. Seeing pictures of the shell of that car today, as well as one body. I've seen it reported that there was a car chase. 4 men were in the car. 2 were detained (I assume that includes the body), and two escaped and ran into the woods. All to be taken with a grain of salt this early.

acidx fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 23, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I suppose now our right wing populists can stop beating the drum about a million conscription aged able bodied male refugees coming through Russia to our borders. Though if this were to lead to pogroms then we would have another argument about is Russia a safe country or not.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EasilyConfused posted:

What a recommendation

indeed, it is very good

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Popete posted:

By today they'd just give her a prison sentence, but its not like there would be any publically attendable inquiry events for her to yell at officials in the first place. Regardless i am shocked and sickened to discover that Ukranian nazis sunk the kursk

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Russia now says it detained 11 suspects, 4 of which were directly involved in the attack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also even if the Russian police managed to intervene in this attack, there's no guarantee it wouldn't have been even worse for the victims than doing nothing. Their historical approach to counterterrorism was to just kill everybody in the general area with an indiscriminate use of explosives and chemical weapons.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

beer_war posted:

Russia now says it detained 11 suspects, 4 of which were directly involved in the attack.

FSB reports that some of those detained were trying to make their way into Ukraine, and that they have "ties" to the country.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ok so:

1. US finds out about terror plot by ISIS-K, presumably shares info with Russia
2. US goes public about "some" terror threat to Russia
3. Putin dismisses claims, says no attack will happen, says US is trying to sow fear and division
4. Terror attack happens
5. Russia derides US for not sharing intel
6. FSB starts shifting blame towards Ukraine

Completely as expected, Putin is spinning intelligence failures of Russian security services by blaming Ukraine and USA.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

spankmeister posted:

Ok so:

1. US finds out about terror plot by ISIS-K, presumably shares info with Russia
2. US goes public about "some" terror threat to Russia
3. Putin dismisses claims, says no attack will happen, says US is trying to sow fear and division
4. Terror attack happens
5. Russia derides US for not sharing intel
6. FSB starts shifting blame towards Ukraine

Completely as expected, Putin is spinning intelligence failures of Russian security services by blaming Ukraine and USA.

What I love is that the new policy of total transparency by the USA intelligence services tends to erode the margins of bullshit that Putin can spin.
After the start of the war a lot of head of state that would be otherwise somewhat neutral were forced to concede that Putin is a violent imperialist moron and put their chips with Ukraine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Granted, if I were a Dagistani separatist or similar, I might see the point in starting poo poo now that Russia is badly extended and have to send much of ther military police to try to keep Crimea and the occupied parts of Donbass under control, not to mention suppress potential protesters inside Russia itself.

Like, a Chechen style revolt now sounds like a potential Spanish Ulcer, if Ukraine itself isn’t already.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

beer_war posted:

they detained 11 random ukrainians. (speculation)

From New York Times:

It’s been some 16 hours since the first news reports about the attack, but President Vladimir V. Putin still has not made any public comment. The Kremlin said that the Russian president spoke to his Belarusian counterpart, Aleksandr Lukashenko, on Saturday, and that the two allies “confirmed their readiness to cooperate in the fight against terrorism.”

There are signs that Russia will try to pin blame for the attack on Ukraine, despite the claim of responsibility by the Islamic State. The F.S.B., Russia’s domestic intelligence agency, issued a statement on Saturday saying that the attackers planned to escape to Ukraine “and had contacts on the Ukrainian side,” according to Russian state media. Kyiv has denied any involvement and American officials have said there is no evidence that Ukraine played a role.

lilljonas posted:

Granted, if I were a Dagistani separatist or similar, I might see the point in starting poo poo now that Russia is badly extended and have to send much of ther military police to try to keep Crimea and the occupied parts of Donbass under control, not to mention suppress potential protesters inside Russia itself.

Like, a Chechen style revolt now sounds like a potential Spanish Ulcer, if Ukraine itself isn’t already.

Hmm a Dagestani member of the Kyiv regime

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Broke: Denazification of Ukraine
Woke: Deislamification of the Neo-Crimean Khanate

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

lilljonas posted:

Considering how far the mercenary guy got with his non-coup, the repeated incidents of sabotage deep in Russia, the repeated uprisings in Belgorod, and now this terrorist attack, it really seems like Russia has paper thin internal security. Like, they seem incapable of doing anything besides either raining down artillery and slowly moving forward or digging into fortified positions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Russian police apparatus is really good at picking up and brutalizing people laying candles and wreaths, but apparently not much else.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Symbolic Butt posted:

Personally the one thing that made me realize for the first time that maybe Putin was a specially lovely person was when he refused to talk to president Dilma because she was a woman lol

He brought a dog to meeting with Merkel. Because that's a normal thing to do, bring your dog to a press conference. And not because he knew she is afraid of dogs. He'd never do that. Look at his face.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/12/europe/putin-merkel-scared-dog/index.html

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 23, 2024

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/meduza_en/status/1771513300192215199?s=20

*sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, I've watched some Russian news, I don't think they mentioned ISIS once. It's all Ukraine. The suspects were about to cross the Ukrainian border (even though they were closer to Belarus), they had some nebulous ties to Ukraine (even though in the interrogation video the suspect says he doesn't know who hired him on telegram, and his story doesn't make much sense to begin with), etc. And, of course, the old 'who smelled it dealt it' in regard to America's warning. TASS's source acknowledged that America shared the warning through official channels before going public, but also that the intel they provided wasn't concrete, just a general warning.