Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What a wild hasbara poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Weka posted:

Meanwhile, the US president struggles to use stairs

have we seen a picture of Putin using stairs that wasn't 15 years ago

speng31b
May 8, 2010

goon walks up to putin: "stairs?"

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Putin's sit down with Tucker was a more impressive contrast vs. Biden than any physical feat could be

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Meanwhile, the US president struggles to use stairs

Only matters if the US president is in charge of anything and he's not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

goon walks up to putin: "stairs?"

Putin: I am protected.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

speng31b posted:

lol wtf...

Al-Saqr: "who should go?" :smug:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Punished Turtle posted:

mostly somber reflections on how depressingly stupid this country is

Fast return to normal

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Al-Saqr: "who should go?" :smug:

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Just started reading "Spartacus and the Slave Wars" by Brent D. Shaw of the University of Pennsylvania, which was published in 2001.

Only twenty-four pages in, he has given some interesting history on the use of Spartacus by people on the left. Apparently Marx was given a questionnaire by his daughter and one of the questions was who was his hero, he said "Spartacus & Kepler." No idea who Kepler is and I haven't read anything by Marx but thought someone might find it of interest.

I like Spartacus, I do not like this book. In fact, I think this dude is talking poo poo about Spartacus and was wondering what people here thought.

"Although our current image of Spartacus comes primarily from these sources if we consider the entire scope of the historical interest in Spartacus since the end of the Roman empire it is clear that this image was actually first created during the 1760s. Indeed, in the vast span of time before the mid-eighteenth century, no one cared about Spartacus or even mentioned him as an especially important historical character. He merited nothing more than perfunctory notices in the standard histories of Rome. It was only during the 1760s that Spartacus became 'an important man.'"

Now, I might just be a simple forums-poster, but it seems to me that there is likely a very good and obvious explanation for why he was not considered "an important man" prior to the 1760s. My guess is that Spartacus wasn't seen as important until this period in time because the people who would identify with Spartacus wouldn't have had the opportunity to receive the education necessary to study history from that time period. Possibly these historical accounts hadn't been translated from Latin yet, I can't imagine the literacy rates were that great at the time for english, never mind latin. I assume they wouldn't have had access to the books this information is contained in either. Maybe Mr. Shaw will bring it all around later and stop talking poo poo about Spartacus and the leftists who used his imagery for their movements, I get the feeling that will not be the case though.

"Today we are so far removed from a world where servitude in manual labor was the norm that empathy alone is often our faulty guide to historical understanding."

Keep in mind this was written in 2001. I suppose servitude in manual labor isn't exactly the norm but even today this is not an alien concept to us, it still exists. 13th amendment? All those people building bullshit in Dubai (not 2001 but w/e)? Who the gently caress is this dude's audience? If my above critique holds water why was this man able to publish a book with such a glaringly obvious oversight almost immediately in his work?

I will fight this dude. Spartacus is the poo poo, end of.

HP sauce + pizza = really loving good. Pairs very well with a cheese pizza. Also, you can knock most the cheese off a frozen pizza to the point you think that this will not provide full coverage of my pizza, but it actually will! Pizzas require a surprisingly small amount of cheese for full coverage. As a pizza consumer for many decades, I was personally shocked to discover this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Go read Marx.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Go read Marx.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Marx was referring to Johannes Kepler. He's the planetary motion guy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spartacus is important because his failed slave revolt led the roman military to realize that their solders sucked dick and needed to be trained by gladiator school coaches to improve, leading to a lucrative contract consulting gig for school operators.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I like Spartacus because movies about him have lots of sweaty, shirtless men

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Spartacus is important because his failed slave revolt led the roman military to realize that their solders sucked dick and needed to be trained by gladiator school coaches to improve, leading to a lucrative contract consulting gig for school operators.

Taking this very literally

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the toughest formation dicksucking drills made the legions the most effective fellatio force of their day

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

you call that dome? get down on your knees and give me 20!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

if jewishdom is a white religion, explain black israelites.

checkmate, schizophrailure.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Sadistic Hamster posted:

I haven't read anything by Marx

Read Marx and Engels and post your questions and comments in the Marxism thread

Else you will forever be condemned to wallow in the failures of social democrat and anarchist nonsense

Flournival Dixon has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Mar 23, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has there ever been a real world instance where a HALO jump was done and it was successful or is it a Hollywood invention

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has there ever been a real world instance where a HALO jump was done and it was successful or is it a Hollywood invention

Plenty according to the Wikipedia citations

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Sadistic Hamster posted:

HP sauce + pizza = really loving good. Pairs very well with a cheese pizza. Also, you can knock most the cheese off a frozen pizza to the point you think that this will not provide full coverage of my pizza, but it actually will! Pizzas require a surprisingly small amount of cheese for full coverage. As a pizza consumer for many decades, I was personally shocked to discover this.

My co-workers and I discovered this in the 90s at a pizza place I worked at. We would get bored on slow nights and try all sorts of things. Plain old BBQ sauce also works well. So does salsa.

But do not put Choclairs on a pizza. Just don't.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Flournival Dixon posted:

Read Marx and Engels and post your questions and comments in the Marxism thread

Else you will forever be condemned to wallow in the failures of social democrat and anarchist nonsense

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

In 1990 they wanted to do a security check on the white house and asked the Delta Force to come up with a plan to assault the white house and try it out. They HALO jumped over DC and landed on the white house lawn completely taking the secret service by surprise and definitely would have killed the president had it been real.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

D-Pad posted:

In 1990 they wanted to do a security check on the white house and asked the Delta Force to come up with a plan to assault the white house and try it out. They HALO jumped over DC and landed on the white house lawn completely taking the secret service by surprise and definitely would have killed the president had it been real.

never thought about it but people can glide a good ways in free fall when they've already got a few hundred mph lateral velocity from the plane and any kind of wingsuit would increase that by a ton, you wouldn't have to be right over the spot when you jumped

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

D-Pad posted:

I kind of doubt it, even if they had gotten the ground taking the secret service completely by surprise, the secret service doesn't need to win an immediate fire fight they just need to get the president to the panic room

but it makes good security theater if the government can fabricate more reasons why they need to increase security service money or take on further legal powers, same deal as war games used to justify procurement

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

I kind of doubt it, even if they had gotten the ground taking the secret service completely by surprise, the secret service doesn't need to win an immediate fire fight they just need to get the president to the panic room

but it makes good security theater if the government can fabricate more reasons why they need to increase security service money or take on further legal powers, same deal as war games used to justify procurement

I know a better way, and it don’t require jumping outta no functional plane either.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Searching for the story reveals the plan to overwhelm and defeat the secret service is a bit funnier than doing high speed low draw parachute drops

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1e5f_story.html

quote:

The Secret Service commissioned a classified mock attack two decades ago that found an easy way to pierce the White House security zone: Overwhelm Secret Service officers on the compound with six to eight attackers climbing over the fence at the same time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Six to eight feral attackers?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Zerg rush keeps on winning.

Human wave tactics truly are the kryptonite to the US forces. Every time.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Orange Devil posted:

Rage virus must be administered then just point them in the general direction.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

half million rubles goes a long ways, these days

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Searching for the story reveals the plan to overwhelm and defeat the secret service is a bit funnier than doing high speed low draw parachute drops

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1e5f_story.html

Yeah based on how hungover most SS agents are, any national guard unit could probably successfully storm the White House.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I know a better way, and it don’t require jumping outta no functional plane either.

it’s insane how racist that movie was

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
HAHO is neater than HALO anyway. Navigation seems more fun.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mlmp08 posted:

HAHO is neater than HALO anyway. Navigation seems more fun.

Battle royale tactics

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lid posted:

have we seen a picture of Putin using stairs that wasn't 15 years ago

Here's him climbing a ladder recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpk8C0plYN8

Here he is training with the Russian judo team in 2016 at Sochi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHK2Noqb_8

In short pretty boy Putin could probably beat up half of goons

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
it's not impressive to say you could beat me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Putin took a flight in the new Tu160 recently, he had to climb the stair himself.