Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's just like no skills like alchemy. There's like 18 skills total. No blacksmithing either. Basically 0 trade skills. Also wizards get 2 skills ..that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Trade skills are all handled by tools now, which is admittedly clunky in play and kind of underbaked with RAW (they tried to improve it Xanthar's but it got way more convoluted), but makes more sense. To make a potion, for example, you'd roll an intelligence check, and if you're profiencient with Alchemist's Supplies and using those, you'd get to add your proficiency bonus.

Check out more here.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

There's just like no skills like alchemy. There's like 18 skills total. No blacksmithing either. Basically 0 trade skills. Also wizards get 2 skills ..that's it.

you add your proficiency bonus to skill checks using an alchemists kit or blacksmithing tools, instead of each vocation having its own skill

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

You get another 2 skill proficencies and a tool proficiency (read trade skill) from your background

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any idea if they'll do more Foundry modules like Phandelver? It's so tightly put together.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That kind of sucks because if you want to be a wizard who does alchemy in order to get proficient with the tool you have to take the background.

Like I can't be a wizard charlatan that knows alchemy

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Create your own background if the DM allows it!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hollismason posted:

That kind of sucks because if you want to be a wizard who does alchemy in order to get proficient with the tool you have to take the background.

Yeah, it's all sorta dumb, right? Like the natural inclination is to ask "When and why would a charlatan study and practice alchemy to a professional level of competence? Shouldn't they be out tricking people or stealing stuff?"

And at first that's satisfying. Except that expose that to any player and they'll spin off a story about their character, the trickiest potion boy in all the lands, and right away it becomes clear that if the only thing that's a block to a character choice is logical story progression, then there just shouldn't be any blocks, because storytelling is what games are for. Just houserule that poo poo, because that poo poo is lame.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hollismason posted:

The backgrounds are just suggestions, you can find rules for customising them on pg. 125:

quote:

You might want to tweak some of the features of a background so it better fits your character or the campaign setting. To customize a background, you can replace one feature with any other one, choose any two skills, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or languages from the sample backgrounds. You can either use the equipment package from your background or spend coin on gear. (If you spend coin, you can’t also take the equipment package suggested for your class.) Finally, choose two personality traits, one ideal, one bond, and one flaw. If you can’t find a feature that matches your desired background, work with your DM to create one.

(and to be clear, this isn't listed as like, an optional rule. A DM could disallow it just like they could disallow, say, playing an elf, but by default it's presumed that you can mix and match from the "sample" backgrounds.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 21, 2024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Backgrounds don't do poo poo and if your DM doesn't let you swap proficiencies or make up a new background they're a nerd. That's just going to be RAW in 5.5. It's more just that you get your choice of two skills that are relevant to your class + plus some that are relevant to your character backstory but you make that part up so they can be whatever.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

More info on Quests (Including a cool image of Zargon)

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1687-quests-from-the-infinite-staircase-six-remastered

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm making a wizard who's a charlatan that sells dick pills and elixirs as his hustle. Basically a snake oil salesman.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm making a wizard who's a charlatan that sells dick pills and elixirs as his hustle. Basically a snake oil salesman.

To be honest, there's nothing in that description that suggests any reason why the pills need to actually work. Snake oil has a whole reputation that way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I'm wondering considering the Great Not!Wyrm fight we had, if I'm plopping down monsters from the MM for my players is there any warning or obvious telegraphs about which monsters the players should have some kind of warning to prep against? Is there some specific text in the MM I as the DM should watch out for?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i make all my players do custom backgrounds but i also whisper to them that they can just use a preexisting background and i’ll pretend not to notice. im a machiavellan dm in this way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's a lot of bad poo poo around it mostly in the composition and editing of the books (including not writing anything at all about trade skills) but I think in general, the 5e skill system is the best one d&d has had since they added skills because it mostly just does its job to individualize characters but isnt something you have to think a lot about

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hollismason posted:

You could swap out Sleight of Hand for Medicine, swap the disguise or forgery kit proficiencies for alchemist supplies proficiency (and consider if you want the other one or would rather swap for one of the magick-y languages DMs put all ancient text in like Elvish or Draconic), and then either ask your DM if you can swap the disguise kit in the background starting equipment for alchemy supplies or just take the 4d4x10 starting gold and buy the alchemy supplies along with your starting gear (you would technically need to roll like, at least a 7 on your starting roll to be able to afford this and a basic staff as an arcane focus though. The only bit of this I'd consider to be an "ask your DM" thing would be swapping the disguise kit for the alchemy supplies, all the rest of it, the changes are just the rules as written for making your character.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

A Classic is coming back

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I'm wondering considering the Great Not!Wyrm fight we had, if I'm plopping down monsters from the MM for my players is there any warning or obvious telegraphs about which monsters the players should have some kind of warning to prep against? Is there some specific text in the MM I as the DM should watch out for?

If the CR's are quite high is generally the main warning. But it can be a bit unreliable as PCs can punch above their weight sometimes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Instead of tool proficiencies it really should be a skill that you can't use without tools.

Dumb semantics, but skill proficiency vs tool proficiency feels different, even though it's the same thing.

Hollismason posted:

Sneering wizard who sells fake magic potions and only uses real magic spells to make the sale and flee when caught because common people are unworthy of real magic.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 21, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Sounds like you should look at the Alchemist subclass of the Artificer, and can multi class wizard very synergistically

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's good that the game isn't still trying to balance "spend a point on a skill that matters constantly, like stealth" with "spend a point on a skill that almost never matters, like blacksmithing."

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

i'll probably pick this up if only because old adventures have weirder cool stuff in them. The low level adventure being in a cyclops temple is really neat

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Brb, taking a three level dip in Kensei Monk specifically to get Way of the Brush.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Read the entire stat block first.

Is there anything in the block that would theoretically allow the monster to target most or all of the PCs at one time. If so, what would happen if the entire party failed their saving throws against that spell or ability?

If not, are there any powers or abilities or attacks in the monster stat block that could knock out, kill, or otherwise eliminate from combat a single PC, or that could do permanent damage to a PC or the PCs important equipment? Even a low CR monster like the Intellect Devourer or the Ghost can apply effects that take powerful magic to remedy.

A final consideration can be the combination of AC, hit points, resistances, immunities, and the underused vulnerabilities. A low-CR wererat is still immune to nonmagical weapons: against four warlocks, that probably doesn’t make a difference, but a group of L1 PCs with a barbarian, fighter, paladin, and monk are probably reduced to swinging torches dealing 1 fire per hit.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, it's all sorta dumb, right? Like the natural inclination is to ask "When and why would a charlatan study and practice alchemy to a professional level of competence? Shouldn't they be out tricking people or stealing stuff?"

I think anyone who asks "when and why would a charlatan study and practice alchemy to a professional level of competence" is someone who needs a refresher on what charlatans do and what alchemy is. :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

I think anyone who asks "when and why would a charlatan study and practice alchemy to a professional level of competence" is someone who needs a refresher on what charlatans do and what alchemy is. :v:

I wouldn't, since this isn't Clark Stanley's Snake Oil Liniment: Guaranteed to Drive Away All Manner of Rickets, Cholerics, and Hysterics Most Dire the RPG. Though honestly that would rule so maybe it should be. All a game about fighting over authenticity of fake ingredients and who has the better story about meeting Hopi elders.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 22, 2024

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Smith's Tools and Alchemists's supplies are both explicitly Tool Proficiencies. Craft (Weaponsmithing) and Craft (Armoursmithing) (separate skills in 3.5) were never equivalent to adventuring skills in terms of usefulness for PCs and 5e doesn't try to pretend they are, instead relegating them to Tool Proficiencies. Every background comes with either two tool proficiencies, two languages, or one of each. Also optional rules from Xanathar's Guide to Everything make smith's tools far more useful than either weaponsmithing or armoursmithing proficiency was.

Wizards get 2 skills plus two and two either trade skills (tool proficiencies) or languages from their background. Off a list of 17 skills plus languages and proficiencies. Meanwhile in the edition you are probably thinking of the fighter got two skills total (no backgrounds) out of 32 plus four families (craft, profession, knowledge, perform). And rather than spending one pick on Athletics they had to spend separate skill points on climb, jump, and swim.

What happened to skills? They stopped being such huge vistas of things you were incompetent at. Every single class that doesn't have intelligence as their primary stat is massively better off under the 5e system than they were under 3.5 as everyone gets a minimum of 4+2 trained skills out of a much smaller list (and even wizards rarely got to keep up with more than six skills). And wizards are still probably the strongest class in the game, just not by quite as much. The only significant downside is that Intelligence may be the most dumped stat in the game in 5e.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Narsham posted:

A low-CR wererat is still immune to nonmagical weapons: against four warlocks, that probably doesn’t make a difference, but a group of L1 PCs with a barbarian, fighter, paladin, and monk are probably reduced to swinging torches dealing 1 fire per hit.

Three adventures grappling down a wererat while the fourth crams a torch down its throat. Fantastic combat sequence imo.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

theironjef posted:

I wouldn't, since this isn't Clark Stanley's Snake Oil Liniment: Guaranteed to Drive Away All Manner of Rickets, Cholerics, and Hysterics Most Dire the RPG. Though honestly that would rule so maybe it should be. All a game about fighting over authenticity of fake ingredients and who has the better story about meeting Hopi elders.

I'm going to start awarding my players lead pieces instead of gold, and when they complain, I'll remind them that the party includes an alchemist.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Narsham posted:

Read the entire stat block first.

Is there anything in the block that would theoretically allow the monster to target most or all of the PCs at one time. If so, what would happen if the entire party failed their saving throws against that spell or ability?

If not, are there any powers or abilities or attacks in the monster stat block that could knock out, kill, or otherwise eliminate from combat a single PC, or that could do permanent damage to a PC or the PCs important equipment? Even a low CR monster like the Intellect Devourer or the Ghost can apply effects that take powerful magic to remedy.

A final consideration can be the combination of AC, hit points, resistances, immunities, and the underused vulnerabilities. A low-CR wererat is still immune to nonmagical weapons: against four warlocks, that probably doesn’t make a difference, but a group of L1 PCs with a barbarian, fighter, paladin, and monk are probably reduced to swinging torches dealing 1 fire per hit.

accidentally using a ghost without fully reading its abilities led to one of my players actually roleplaying for the first time ever instead of just japing with the gang. highly recommend nervously admitting to a high roll on the d4 for the horrifying visage effect

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

scary ghost dog posted:

accidentally using a ghost without fully reading its abilities led to one of my players actually roleplaying for the first time ever instead of just japing with the gang. highly recommend nervously admitting to a high roll on the d4 for the horrifying visage effect

Hahaha I plopped down a ghost without reading it, saw the possession ability and just Nope'd on actually using it since I'm down to a 3 person party. :(

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

I'm going to start awarding my players lead pieces instead of gold, and when they complain, I'll remind them that the party includes an alchemist.

Edit: Don't know why I'm so grouchy lately.

Anyway, are you sure they do? Are you sure it isn't a charlatan?

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 22, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

theironjef posted:

Edit: Don't know why I'm so grouchy lately.

Anyway, are you sure they do? Are you sure it isn't a charlatan?

He took the scholar background :v:

But I'll stop with the bad jokes. I don't mean to get under your skin.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

He took the scholar background :v:

But I'll stop with the bad jokes. I don't mean to get under your skin.

All good, I got that norovirus that's been going around and I think it's got me more on edge or whatever. poo poo sucks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

theironjef posted:

To be honest, there's nothing in that description that suggests any reason why the pills need to actually work. Snake oil has a whole reputation that way.

They don't have to work, but they do have to look convincing. People expect medicine to look a certain way, taste a certain way, and have side effects. A fake medicine with an unpleasant (but harmless) side effect my sell better than one with no side effects at all, because the marks can "feel it working". You gotta get the vibes right.

It takes some skill to make a medicine that feels like it is doing something and won't accidentally poison anyone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hahaha I plopped down a ghost without reading it, saw the possession ability and just Nope'd on actually using it since I'm down to a 3 person party. :(

That's a valid option. Enemies don't need to use all their abilities. They don't need to always use them optimally. Monsters don't get to read their own stat blocks, so maybe that guy never even heard of ghost possession and never tried it.

The optional end boss for the pathfinder beginner box adventure is a motherless baby dragon being raised by kobolds. It has a breath weapon but the text calls out that it is not good at strategy yet and will try to hit whoever is closest or whoever hurt it last, it won't try to position strategically to get as many people as possible in the breath cone. The GM is supposed to play the monster dumb so these level 2 characters can end the adventure as dragon slayers.

If instead the GM plays "optimally" (and the PCs bunch up) the monster can easily TPK the party in 1 or 2 rounds.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Facebook Aunt posted:

They don't have to work, but they do have to look convincing. People expect medicine to look a certain way, taste a certain way, and have side effects. A fake medicine with an unpleasant (but harmless) side effect my sell better than one with no side effects at all, because the marks can "feel it working". You gotta get the vibes right.

It takes some skill to make a medicine that feels like it is doing something and won't accidentally poison anyone.

A tiny bit of MDMA/thc/cocaine does the trick.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's a valid option. Enemies don't need to use all their abilities. They don't need to always use them optimally. Monsters don't get to read their own stat blocks, so maybe that guy never even heard of ghost possession and never tried it.

The optional end boss for the pathfinder beginner box adventure is a motherless baby dragon being raised by kobolds. It has a breath weapon but the text calls out that it is not good at strategy yet and will try to hit whoever is closest or whoever hurt it last, it won't try to position strategically to get as many people as possible in the breath cone. The GM is supposed to play the monster dumb so these level 2 characters can end the adventure as dragon slayers.

If instead the GM plays "optimally" (and the PCs bunch up) the monster can easily TPK the party in 1 or 2 rounds.

Yeah its difficult sometimes finding that balance so that when the enemies do start acting intelligently it isn't so you're picking on a player.

In other news, taking mobile for my Healer character in the campaign I play in for the extra 10' of movement so PEOPLE STOP DYING BEFORE I CAN HEAL THEM.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Outrail posted:

A tiny bit of MDMA/thc/cocaine does the trick.

Emetics and laxatives were also popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My party let the bandit leader escape in chapter 2 of Phandelver. It was a pretty hilarious run of he got warned, they chased him, hit him with sleep and tied him up then ran somewhere else to mix it up with bugbears and he got away. As far as I can tell the book does not account for this despite talking about his escape plans, so I have to find a good place to bring him back.