Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Triarii posted:

It's always okay to be mad about gameplay-relevant microtransactions imo

I am late to DD mtx chat but I figured they would just be skins and stuff. The idea of having fast travel unlocks and revives available for a price in a $70 PC RPG feels incredibly off-putting, even though I’ll definitely just ignore them. Putting them in post the review period also feels pretty dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Tarezax posted:

Also don't let the mixed reviews on Steam fool you, it's being review bombed by Chinese incel culture warriors

Oh yeah. China hates it because of perceived cuckoldry in an unrelated game. You know how it is.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tarezax posted:

Also don't let the mixed reviews on Steam fool you, it's being review bombed by Chinese incel culture warriors

Me explaining my Ratemyprofessor.com ranking to my director

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tildes posted:

I am late to DD mtx chat but I figured they would just be skins and stuff. The idea of having fast travel unlocks and revives available for a price in a $70 PC RPG feels incredibly off-putting, even though I’ll definitely just ignore them. Putting them in post the review period also feels pretty dishonest.

it's all ingame stuff you can just buy to get earlier

it's like if pokemon had endless mtx for great balls, potions, and x-revives

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

it's all ingame stuff you can just buy to get earlier

it's like if pokemon had endless mtx for great balls, potions, and x-revives

The DD stuff isn't endless. You can only buy it once.

tildes posted:

They literally gave reviewers a document showing all the DLC. It was not hidden.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Det_no posted:

Oh yeah. China hates it because of perceived cuckoldry in an unrelated game. You know how it is.

they come from a mobile gacha game (girls frontline) where you can give wedding rings to anime girl jpegs designed after real world guns
and they're extremely mad because their patriotic waifu qbz-95 (the standard service rifle of china's military) talked to a man in her backstory in girls frontline 2. that man being a terrorist who she talked down from Doing A Terrorism.

yup sounds like cuckoldry to me.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 23, 2024

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Case of the Golden Idol rips thanks for all the recommends in here over the months.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phigs posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol rips thanks for all the recommends in here over the months.

yes it's great

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Phigs posted:

Hell yeah

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

tildes posted:

all reviewers received a review guide that explicitly talked about the mtx, none of them decided to mention it

anyways its useless and nobody should give a poo poo about it because its 1000% ignorable and the discourse surrounding it is riddled with tons of misinformation

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tildes posted:

Once you finish what is the tutorial part of the game, if you bother exploring at all you've going to have found all of the items that are offered as microtransactions.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

all reviewers received a review guide that explicitly talked about the mtx, none of them decided to mention it

anyways its useless and nobody should give a poo poo about it because its 1000% ignorable and the discourse surrounding it is riddled with tons of misinformation

Huh, that’s interesting. Some of the reporting on the backlash was definitely weirdly defensive. Although I think most game journos are like frogs boiled in water, after having to review so many battlepass/mtx/cosmetics dlc games. I would probably have some weird takes too, if my job meant spending tens of hours playing every single failed live service game.

How do we know about this review guide?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, that’s interesting. Some of the reporting on the backlash was definitely weirdly defensive. Although I think most game journos are like frogs boiled in water, after having to review so many battlepass/mtx/cosmetics dlc games. I would probably have some weird takes too, if my job meant spending tens of hours playing every single failed live service game.

it was included in the email sent out alongside review keys

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Det_no posted:

Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery opinions, 4 hours in:
gorgeous graphics

cmon man

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I cannot reconcile “good English translation” with “the title is ‘reverse collapse code name bakery’”

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Det_no posted:

Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery opinions, 4 hours in:
It's really good! A surprisingly deep strategy RPG with a lot of good ideas, gorgeous graphics and some challenging gameplay on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmGk2j3elPc&t=823s

It's like a mixture of a lot of games so hard to compare to just one. There are named characters with unique abilities, you can allocate skill points, weapons have different effective ranges, and there's a very robust stealth system you can drop into any time considering you are almost always massively outnumbered. Terrain and the bonuses it gives are hugely important, and line of sight is a constant gameplay element even without taking into account the weather changes that sometimes happen during missions. The use of consumable items is HEAVILY encouraged to the point of being able to save/load different loadouts before missions, and there are a ton of items from tripwires that cause status effects to scanners that let you reveal an area covered with the fog of war. It's a very fleshed-out combat system and the difficulty of getting an S-rank is pretty good on top, been a while since a game has had a decent challenge even during the introductory missions. You also get rewarded by killing special enemies or reaching specific locations, usually with attachments for your guns or rare crafting materials.

Now, the plot to start is a pretty by-the-book, grim, sci-fi future resource war sort of deal but the trailer shows some crazy poo poo going on so up to you whether or not you want to be spoiled on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3IOkW4MWcg

Either way, I would highly recommend the game and I'm also happy to report the translation is great and actual english rather than the machine translation junk a lot of these games often have. Only one funny error that's more context based than anything else. I think for 20 bucks it's a huge steal.

How much did they pay you for pushing a mobile game?

EDIT: ok calling it a mobile game is wrong, this is a student game. Each aspect of this is poorly conceived. Text size is too small, the "readability" of gameplay elements such as the menu and tile based levels is pretty bad.

"20 bucks it's a huge steal"? Come on thats a pizza tower, or in triple that an entire unicorn overlord

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 23, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they come from a mobile gacha game (girls frontline) where you can give wedding rings to anime girl jpegs designed after real world guns
and they're extremely mad because their patriotic waifu qbz-95 (the standard service rifle of china's military) talked to a man in her backstory in girls frontline 2. that man being a terrorist who she talked down from Doing A Terrorism.

yup sounds like cuckoldry to me.

I don't know what any of this means but it's convinced me to never go near this game

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Tale as old as time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would pick up the anime bakery tactics because it seems like my jam, but I just converted the rest of my fun budget for the month into Total Warhammer 3 so it has to wait.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So for those of us with poor impulse control who also have extra money because we were too stupid to pay attention to when the spring sale stopped, does the Dragon's Dogma 2 deluxe edition add anything worthwhile? At a glance it just looks like a collection of the microtransactions everyone is complaining about.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So for those of us with poor impulse control who also have extra money because we were too stupid to pay attention to when the spring sale stopped, does the Dragon's Dogma 2 deluxe edition add anything worthwhile? At a glance it just looks like a collection of the microtransactions everyone is complaining about.

it's a bunch of bullshit. none of it even seems exclusive, just somewhat rare consumables you'll find by playing the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tarezax posted:

Chinese incel warrior, with your heart so coooold

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

the only DLCs that add actual new stuff are the DD1 Music/Sound swapper and the Camping Kit which is not available without the DLC and also adds it to the stores

everything else is useless trash you can safely ignore because its all obtainable by playing the game normally

as someone who bought the deluxe edition, dont get the deluxe edition

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

I cannot reconcile “good English translation” with “the title is ‘reverse collapse code name bakery’”

I love an old fashioned title formed by throwing darts at a dictionary

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

needs more random punctuation & capitalized words

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

I'll let my play time speak for itself:

Audiosurf - 47 hours.
Audiosurf 2 - 5 hours.

It's been 6 years since I played either, so I've no idea what my issues were, sorry.

As a second opinion:

Audiosurf - 12.3 hours.
Audiosurf 2 - 16.5 hours.

They're practically the same game, except that 2 has workshop support so I'd say it's the superior one. 2 also has the Night Drive skin, which is my favorite by far:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

I am a reviewer. I got a copy of the guide. On top of that I did not mention the DLC because the DLC is both on par with all of Capcom's recent releases and less egregious that most recent games I've played.

For example, here are the at-launch microtransactions for just some of the recent games I've played:

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: 2 exclusive summon materias you can't get elsewhere, 2 pieces of armor you can't get elsewhere.
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth: Crafting materials (available in game), cheat items, costumes, 2 exclusive jobs, various items, New Game + and a dungeon.
Baldur's Gate 3: Exclusive items as well as potions and camp supplies and some bard songs.
Spider-Man 2: Five suits for each character, a bonus 5 skill points, early unlocks for in-game suits and gadgets.
Persona 3 Reload: Persona exclusive to the DLC, characer costumes.

I'm picking games that reviewed extremely well both with critics and audiences and did not get this insane backlash. It isn't a huge conspiracy and if there's any defensiveness to it, it's because nobody has any reason to assume that this pack of genuinely inoffensive generic items would be somehow the breaking point for people and it's super weird to have people suddenly freaking out about something they ignored worse versions of time and time again.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

IGN has a DD2 microtransaction review

TLDR most of it isn't a big deal, but the portcrystal is kind of bullshit.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i think im done with buying new release games in canada

i can afford it but its like, a video game is not worth 110 dollars holy moly, im transforming into a patient gamer in my old age (40)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I appear to have played Audiosurf 1 mostly before Steam tracked playtime/activity.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

queeb posted:

i can afford it but its like, a video game is not worth 110 dollars holy moly, im transforming into a patient gamer in my old age (40)

looks like thats about 78 USD which is about what i'd pay for that with NY sales tax, but yeah ive decided im gonna wait on DD2. nothing to do with this DLC stuff, more wanting to see if they fix up performance and capcom stuff tends to go on sale pretty quick

it is "only" $61 USD on GMG right now, dunno what the CDN discount is but if you're tempted: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/dragons-dogma-2-pc/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you are at all hesitant about DD2 there's zero reason to jump in until at least some patches.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

queeb posted:

In my old age I'll spend 3 hours watching and reading reviews of a game before not buying it because even though it is only $25 it may be $20 next week.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I guess I'll use this as an opportunity to actually get back into DragDog1 since DD2 genuinely just seems to be more of the first game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

I guess I'll use this as an opportunity to actually get back into DragDog1 since DD2 genuinely just seems to be more of the first game.

DD2 appears to be "What if we had the budget and time to actually make all of our insane ideas from the first game's development." Though regrettably I haven't heard anything about a moon trip.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am a reviewer. I got a copy of the guide. On top of that I did not mention the DLC because the DLC is both on par with all of Capcom's recent releases and less egregious that most recent games I've played.

For example, here are the at-launch microtransactions for just some of the recent games I've played:

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth: 2 exclusive summon materias you can't get elsewhere, 2 pieces of armor you can't get elsewhere.
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth: Crafting materials (available in game), cheat items, costumes, 2 exclusive jobs, various items, New Game + and a dungeon.
Baldur's Gate 3: Exclusive items as well as potions and camp supplies and some bard songs.
Spider-Man 2: Five suits for each character, a bonus 5 skill points, early unlocks for in-game suits and gadgets.
Persona 3 Reload: Persona exclusive to the DLC, characer costumes.

I'm picking games that reviewed extremely well both with critics and audiences and did not get this insane backlash. It isn't a huge conspiracy and if there's any defensiveness to it, it's because nobody has any reason to assume that this pack of genuinely inoffensive generic items would be somehow the breaking point for people and it's super weird to have people suddenly freaking out about something they ignored worse versions of time and time again.

This whole post is my stance. It's been the same poo poo in Capcom games since at least DMC4 SE. All of them are literally skippable. This fake outrange over tiny things muddles it when truly horrible offenders do worse

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

queeb posted:

What kills me is when the deluxe version of a game goes on sale, bringing it down to only CAD$79.99! :canada:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RBX posted:

This whole post is my stance. It's been the same poo poo in Capcom games since at least DMC4 SE. All of them are literally skippable. This fake outrange over tiny things muddles it when truly horrible offenders do worse

Also if you played the game instead of staring at the store page you would never know the mtx existed. The game does nothing to advertise it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

https://webmshare.com/8K43Z
It looks amazing for this kind of game. Big sprites, lots of animations, sources of lighting, effects like units kicking up snow, etc.

Upsidads posted:

Each aspect of this is poorly conceived. Text size is too small, the "readability" of gameplay elements such as the menu and tile based levels is pretty bad.

Put on your glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I never buy new games anymore. Not out of principle or anything I just have too many old games to play to ever need to pay full price.

Of course this does not stop me from buying games that are 1/3 finished in early access because let’s be reasonable.