Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Both Seska and Lon Suder should have survived until season 7, Seska as the recurring foil who keeps somehow staying in the same area as Voyager despite constant 10,000 light years transports, or she dies multiple times but each time they do their time travel episodes she escapes the past to live again. Heck, have one Seska be good but is murdered by another Seska. Use Lon Suder as the guy they pull out to do the crazy commando missions once a season and has a Rambo-style crisis because he's now a man of peace (until someone dies). At least one episode he saves the day by not killing anyone, another he helps Tuvok who has reverted to violence like Tuvok helped him, one episode Tuvok notices all the plants Suder is growing are either carnivorous or poisonous

Or just have more members of the crew turn traitor and do insurrection poo poo every now and then like they did on BSG. Bonus points of they're all still somehow played by Martha Hackett and Brad Dourif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager should’ve ended with the crew bored and miserable at a Welcome Home celebration with Starfleet brass and ambassadors, realizing they miss the adventure of truly exploring the uncharted. Then quietly excusing themselves one by one, they all sneak back to Voyager’s bridge, at which point they steal the ship and warp off to parts unknown.

Star Trek can always use more noble crew stealing the hero ship scenes. Please, SNW, do the needful

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Star Trek can always use more noble crew stealing the hero ship scenes. Please, SNW, do the needful

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager should’ve ended with the crew bored and miserable at a Welcome Home celebration with Starfleet brass and ambassadors, realizing they miss the adventure of truly exploring the uncharted. Then quietly excusing themselves one by one, they all sneak back to Voyager’s bridge, at which point they steal the ship and warp off to parts unknown.

But there is so much joy going into a previously scouted system designated X454-A323 and spending months scanning the harmonic resonance patters that were out of sync for several seconds according to a probe launched decade ago by Vulcan Science directorate!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, there's more than enough nerds in the Federation who are truly obsessed with harmonic resonance pattern synchronisation to fill an Oberth.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Eh, there's more than enough nerds in the Federation who are truly obsessed with harmonic resonance pattern synchronisation to fill an Oberth.

So, 3? Maybe 4?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Technowolf posted:

So, 3? Maybe 4?

Time for a spirited debate about the size of the Oberth class!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

Time for a spirited debate about the size of the Oberth class!

Round hundo, imo

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Tars Tarkas posted:

Both Seska and Lon Suder should have survived until season 7, Seska as the recurring foil who keeps somehow staying in the same area as Voyager despite constant 10,000 light years transports, or she dies multiple times but each time they do their time travel episodes she escapes the past to live again. Heck, have one Seska be good but is murdered by another Seska. Use Lon Suder as the guy they pull out to do the crazy commando missions once a season and has a Rambo-style crisis because he's now a man of peace (until someone dies). At least one episode he saves the day by not killing anyone, another he helps Tuvok who has reverted to violence like Tuvok helped him, one episode Tuvok notices all the plants Suder is growing are either carnivorous or poisonous

They never noticed that Seska's ship was attached to voyager by a long cable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She was secretly living on Neelix's ship that they had stored away for seven years.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Oberth class

What the Starfleet calls "the ultimate scam"-class; civilian organizations pay/work/promise their assess off to get one, to have a ship that uses Starfleet tech but pretty much is useless in anything Starfleet does regularly even with the junkyard-finds such as Miranda's, or Nova's where captain needs to do a shuttle mission to change their mind.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

She was secretly living on Neelix's ship that they had stored away for seven years.

I think that was the plan, but the smell was so bad she chose the waste reclamation vents.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Boxturret posted:

They never noticed that Seska's ship was attached to voyager by a long cable.

Ah makes sense. And she probably had some kazon latched into her as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I went to google clips of Oberth's exploding and never realized who the class was named after and whew

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah there's a lot of awkwardness when you talk about early spaceflight.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eej posted:

I went to google clips of Oberth's exploding and never realized who the class was named after and whew

Yea he's not even one you can make any excuses for, he still gave money to SS Veterans after the war

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

Yea he's not even one you can make any excuses for, he still gave money to SS Veterans after the war

hosed up that Wernher von Braun was the good one between them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CPColin posted:

I have indeed accidentally spelled it wrong in that way and wondered why it wasn't working lol

But it was just a typo! I swear!! No Enterprise fanfic here!!!

Modern Star Trek Megathread: I swear!! No Enterprise fanfic here!!!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I just rewatched TMP and ended up in probably my favorite rewatch of it. It’s so slow and I was slightly stoned so I just spent half the watch thinking about how my favorite parts of modern Trek are echoes of TMP. Picard S2 is flawed but I loved that it came down to a very similar and very Star Trek-y conclusion: the diplomatic answer to the adversary that is to Borg, a single minded terrible entity doomed to destroy itself, is to have a willing Borg-like human join them. They build a new entity that takes the values of the Borg but respects the autonomy of others, instead only those who are willing to join the collective. I don’t know that they’re ever planning to bring Pill back but they should.

That last season of Discovery was also similar. I loved everything about Discovery doing all the work to try to communicate with these gigantic, strange, truly alien beings who don’t conceive of us as living things. It was such a neat conclusion and bright some other things into the mix like the vengeance/forgiveness of people’s destroyed by them. Good stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A French streaming service has posted the entirety of Prodigy season 2 for viewing. Only in French though. And apparently they weren't meant to post it yet.

So complete, baguette-scented spoilers will be floating around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 23, 2024

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was just watching a late night interview with Shatner, and he's doing well for a guy of 93.

Made me think about one of my favourite TNG era things, which is the fact that humans are living these much longer lives at that point. Kirk was basically forcefully retired at the same age Picard was starting off his command of the Ent-D.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just watched the first episode of Prodigy.

Why did they put Star Wars in my Star Trek?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Trust us when we say that changes very quickly and Prodigy is seriously hard core about Star Trek values.

"Hey kid, want some Star Wars?" *Secretly hands you some Star Trek*

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Because that's the way to reel kids these days in, before teaching them why Star Trek is cooler.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Senor Tron posted:

Was just watching a late night interview with Shatner, and he's doing well for a guy of 93.

It's a well known fact that assholes live forever. >.>

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Takei will outlive him out of spite. (inshallah)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Trust us when we say that changes very quickly and Prodigy is seriously hard core about Star Trek values.

"Hey kid, want some Star Wars?" *Secretly hands you some Star Trek*

It's kind of a neat way to do it, having the cast not actually have any idea what the Federation is and learning as they go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah they start in Generic Sci-fi Setting that audience will automatically recognise and have preconceived notions of, and then they use that as a springboard to introduce Trek.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Senor Tron posted:

Made me think about one of my favourite TNG era things, which is the fact that humans are living these much longer lives at that point. Kirk was basically forcefully retired at the same age Picard was starting off his command of the Ent-D.

Mccoy is 140 in TNG right? Something like that

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

A French streaming service has posted the entirety of Prodigy season 2 for viewing. Only in French though. And apparently they weren't meant to post it yet.

So complete, baguette-scented spoilers will be floating around.

merde

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

Takei will outlive him out of spite. (inshallah)

Don't count Walter Koenig out either! He ALSO loving hates Shatner :haw:

I just googled it and Koenig is actually older than Takei by like a year. That's kinda insane to me given how Chekhov was supposed to be the young heartthrob of the crew.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't count Walter Koenig out either! He ALSO loving hates Shatner :haw:

I just googled it and Koenig is actually older than Takei by like a year. That's kinda insane to me given how Chekhov was supposed to be the young heartthrob of the crew.

I have to admit I got a lot more sympathetic to Shatner where I saw a convention vid where he answered a question on this basically along the lines of "I don't actually know these people, this was a three year job 50 years ago where I was no.1 on the call sheet and had 50 pages of lines to learn every week, and they had maybe one page in the script and we didn't spend much time on set together. I moved on and for some reason for the last 50 years they've been holding a grudge."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I have to admit I got a lot more sympathetic to Shatner where I saw a convention vid where he answered a question on this basically along the lines of "I don't actually know these people, this was a three year job 50 years ago where I was no.1 on the call sheet and had 50 pages of lines to learn every week, and they had maybe one page in the script and we didn't spend much time on set together. I moved on and for some reason for the last 50 years they've been holding a grudge."

There is this weird and interesting interplay of "They should probably get over it" vs. "Shatner has left a legendarily long trail of people who come away loving hating him for 50 years now, not just the TOS crew." So yeah, time should heal all wounds, but Bill burns more people than scalding water does, so eh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alchenar posted:

And yet the TNG cast all became like family under the same conditions. You have to go out of your way to not get to know people you’re working with, day in, day out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think Shatner owes the fans a parasocial relationship with the rest of the TOS cast. Like it is cute how well the TNG guys get on but that shouldn't be the standard for a TV cast's relationship

That said he does seem like a prick though, and stuff like not even going to Nimoy's funeral seems real cold

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

No Dignity posted:

That said he does seem like a prick though, and stuff like not even going to Nimoy's funeral seems real cold

Wow, really? I thought Nimoy was his only, like, actual friend from Star Trek.

I always got the impression he was the kind of person you could mostly get along with if you knew how to handle and/or redirect his bullshit (as I thought Nimoy did/could) but that is, as you say, cold as hell

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He strikes me as someone who if he has any feeling of maybe not being welcome he doesn't even try to find out if he is or not and nopes out with no comment

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
We just had this in the Retro FPS thread the other day. Shat was on the other side of the country doing a charity weekend event at Mar-a-Lago lol when Nimoy died and so missed the funeral (which had to happen ASAP after death for religious reasons). Shat’s daughters went in his place (according to Shat)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Wow, really? I thought Nimoy was his only, like, actual friend from Star Trek.

I always got the impression he was the kind of person you could mostly get along with if you knew how to handle and/or redirect his bullshit (as I thought Nimoy did/could) but that is, as you say, cold as hell

I think Shatner and Nimoy were like-minded and got along together because they both shared a sentiment to have a career outside Star Trek and besides actual acting gigs avoided getting too much into it.

Shatner was also the only one to pass on the Enterprise Space Shuttle ceremony, if I remember correctly. He really avoided doing Star Trek unless getting paid to do that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I don't think Shatner owes the fans a parasocial relationship with the rest of the TOS cast. Like it is cute how well the TNG guys get on but that shouldn't be the standard for a TV cast's relationship

Yeah, think about the other TNG era series, those have 2 or 3 actors who seem genuinely friendly to one another (Dom Keating and Connor Trineer, for example) but the rest were work friends at best, or just colleagues and that's fine, it's a job after all