Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah it's a Dexter clone miniseries of 6 eps, not sure if there are gonna be more seasons.
The title is a little unfortunate, guy is a janitor hence The Cleaner :shobon:
Nothing to do with anything but some recent novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

Much of the criticism I see of the Last Airbender live action series is like that, people wanting a completely copy of the animated series and not realizing than many of the changes are improvements or a matter of it being aimed at a older audience.

I didn't see Avatar's new show but then why did people universally like the One Piece adaptation when it did the same?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Live action One Piece was buoyed by a great cast.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shageletic posted:

I didn't see Avatar's new show but then why did people universally like the One Piece adaptation when it did the same?

I saw the One Piece show with a bunch of friends. Two of them kept complaining every single loving time when anything was slightly different, or just ordered differently. Honestly, it was exhausting and I will probably see season 2 on my own.
There's people like this for every single adaption of source material. I am actually interested in those changes, because a different interpretation can be a refreshing take on a story and even bring some surprises. Personally, I liked most of the changes from One Piece, Avatar and most recently 3 Body Problem and found that the worst parts where when they slavishly stuck to the source even when those parts were weak or just not fit for tv medium.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 22, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maybe I'll get to starting the 3 Body Problem on Netflix this weekend.

I've read the first two books, but not the 3rd one yet. My feelings about the books are...complicated. I fully understand that some of these conflicting feeling may be due to translation issues.

Great scifi concepts with some truly chilling implications. I understand why the are regarded as great modern science fiction due to that alone.

The dialog is terrible and most of the characters are just there to have stuff happen to them and are otherwise undeveloped. There are also some tremendously stupid plot developments that happen in the 2nd novel that ANY of the characters involved should have seen coming but didn't just so the plot could be advanced in a certain way. I was like screaming at the pages when I was reading it "DO YOU NOT SEE WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN." I understand that it's sort of played off as hubris, but I refuse to believe every bright person in every nation of the the world would have not see this coming.

So, I really don't have any issue if they make some changes. If nothing else, it should allow for some better localization for western audiences.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was wary of 3 Body Problem, but then I saw a white person and felt sufficiently pandered to.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
^^^Hi Red Text buddy. Good times!

I think I actually prefer the tv show adaption to the original. Interestingly, the first season is not exactly a retelling of the first book, since the show is set chronologically and includes early parts of books 2 and 3.
The main characters were rewritten quite heavily, to the point that they show actual emotions and inner thoughts, rather than being exposition absorbing wet blankets. Maybe that's just how Chinese people behave due to cultural differences, but I found most of the people from the book stiff and boring. Also a big change is that these people actually know each other and have interactions, rather than just being people who happen to be the MC of their respective books.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

First look at The Penguin series, which is a direct spinoff of Matt Reeves' The Batman. I assume this will also probably dovetail with the sequel coming out in 2026.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1771190405138207143?s=20

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That will almost certainly be either bad or incredibly inessential, but I'll watch Colin Farrel in anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It has Clancy Brown in it, it will at minimum be entertaining

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/adoptourcrew/status/1771280699934302643?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I would simply not have cobbled together a terrible company made of shuffling debts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I would simply not have cobbled together a terrible company made of shuffling debts.
The funniest thing to me is that they wanted to triple down and buy Paramount, which is in a similar boat

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I tried watching new girl recently, but it has a really weird regressive and conservative undertone that I found overwhelmingly off-putting. disappointed because I've had it talked up by friends for years. anyone else feel that?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

kalel posted:

I tried watching new girl recently, but it has a really weird regressive and conservative undertone that I found overwhelmingly off-putting. disappointed because I've had it talked up by friends for years. anyone else feel that?

Eventually there is an important person called "Reagan" so yeah, that checks out.
(It was alright in Inside Job, because her father was canonically a shithead who gave her that awful tainted name. RIP Inside Job.)

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

First look at The Penguin series, which is a direct spinoff of Matt Reeves' The Batman. I assume this will also probably dovetail with the sequel coming out in 2026.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1771190405138207143?s=20

Want there already a show about the penguin?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Always Sunny isn't really about the Penguin, he's just in it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

The funniest thing to me is that they wanted to triple down and buy Paramount, which is in a similar boat

They'll probably merge them all, declare bankruptcy, then magically have a new company buy the assets at auction

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My poor understanding of business and finances is that they'll merge two massively in-debt companies, declare they now have more debt than anybody in history, and the stock price immediately leaps up %5000 and Zaslav and the other top executives get 400 million dollar bonuses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Want there already a show about the penguin?

I think that was Young Penguin, like Young Indiana Jones style. IIRC they didn't have the rights to batman or maybe joker but did have everything else.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kalel posted:

I haven't watched it since its original run, so I'm way out of date, but I've watched the occasional clip here and there on YouTube. Do you have any examples? It seemed pretty good and progressive at the time, but again, it's been forever since I watched it. So I'm genuinely curious what I'm forgetting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I never watched New Girl but I remember when it started the promotion really heavily pushed the Zooey Deschanel "Adorkable" thing right at the time the manic pixie dream girl trope was at its height, though I gather her character maybe wasn't (or evolved quickly beyond) it.

Also I know there was some weird drinking game in the show that for maybe six months was really popular with my grad student friends.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

kalel posted:

I started watching it for the first time recently as well, currently pretty early in season 2. I definitely feel like it's a product of its time and some episodes didn't age well. It's not unwatchably regressive like I feel like trying to rewatch most of, say, How I Met Your Mother would be these days, but there's definitely been some episodes that don't play well anymore.

Overall I've been enjoying it.

Also did a rewatch of Cougar Town in the last few months and felt the same way. Still overall a great watch, but some of the Battle of the Sexes type episodes were not great.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kalel posted:

Are you talking about Scmidt hooking up.with a bunch of girls or whatever? That's a little sexost yeah.

E: it's still one of my fav comedies. Easiest to binge anyways

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't watched it since its original run, so I'm way out of date, but I've watched the occasional clip here and there on YouTube. Do you have any examples? It seemed pretty good and progressive at the time, but again, it's been forever since I watched it. So I'm genuinely curious what I'm forgetting.

it's not so much the behavior it depicts as the beliefs it implicitly legitimizes. I stopped a few episodes into season 2 where these happened in quick succession:

- Jess convinces Paul's gf to forgive him for cheating on her and the gf accepts Paul's proposal
- Nick complains about being treated like Jess's boyfriend "with none of the benefits"
- Schmidt successfully attracts women by pretending to be a member of the Romney family

And the show treats this as empathetic instead of contemptible. Also Winston's whole character is ridiculous, he's more like a white person's idea of a black person than an actual character in his own right.

I get that gender and racial politics were different even 10 years ago but this is a bit much. It feels very much like a show produced by The Fox Network. Like seriously who gave a gently caress about Mitt Romney

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
topical humor doesn't always hold up, so it's probably best avoided, but the tugg romney epsiode is from 2013.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kalel posted:

it's not so much the behavior it depicts as the beliefs it implicitly legitimizes. I stopped a few episodes into season 2 where these happened in quick succession:

- Jess convinces Paul's gf to forgive him for cheating on her and the gf accepts Paul's proposal
- Nick complains about being treated like Jess's boyfriend "with none of the benefits"
- Schmidt successfully attracts women by pretending to be a member of the Romney family

And the show treats this as empathetic instead of contemptible. Also Winston's whole character is ridiculous, he's more like a white person's idea of a black person than an actual character in his own right.

I get that gender and racial politics were different even 10 years ago but this is a bit much. It feels very much like a show produced by The Fox Network. Like seriously who gave a gently caress about Mitt Romney

did you actually watch the episode? I wouldn't describe anything about the whole "tugg romney" thing as successful.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Paul's gf thing doesn't sit right yeah. There's a couple times in the show that happens like with Schmidt dating two women at the same time and you expecting to sympathize with him and Jess going back to the doctor in the later seasons. It's a relationship sitcom that has 3 plots an episode and like 26 episodes a season some of this stuff isn't going to land well, and some of the underlying exist attitudes of a specific writer is going to bleed thru. So if the show as a whole is tinged too much by that fair enough. its not for you..

But I'd also point out that there's hardly any sitcom older than 10 yrs ago that does hold up in that regard. Even favorites like Seinfeld have episodes that treat women as disposable non entities, amd shows like Friends is so riven by that I cant even watch it anymore (I thought it was gross even when it was airing). And Id say as a show with a female lead it was mostly progressive compared to alot of relationship siticoms at the time by including things from a women perspective. So again it's cool to drop if isn't for you but those issues weren't enough for me to drop it out of distaste.

But just for the sake of conversation I am curious in following up on a couple things you mentioned and explaining why they didnt hit that way for myself.

The pretending to be Romney thing was an rear end in a top hat move that was called out as such with Schmidt suffering and not gaining anything in the end, which is a traditional sitcom trope.

Nick complaining about being Jess's bf without any of the benefits does touch on something I've noticed irl, where you're so sympatico with someone that the lines between friendship and romantic obligations kinda blur and you have to firmly put up some boundaries.

And this is the one that I'm having the most trouble understanding, Winston not being really a "black person." I don't know the racial makeup of the writing room but I can say that his character took up sometime to fill out and define itself, but as a black person I thoroughly enjoyed how weird and idiosyncratic his character got esp from the end of S2 on. The show wisely never really tried to address him as quote end quote black, outside of one episode that gratefully had the white characters being told they didn't know anything about it, and I thought that was refreshing. I loved Winston, outside of (and this is a spoiler from the later seasons OP so feel free to skip) him being a cop, tho I do know black ppl that are the same way, so I'm going to have to very much disagree on that point unless you wanna explain it further.

Tl;dr: everyone's lines are different, so whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Winston was my favourite character by far. Love some classic Winston and Cece mess around.

Also Cece is in Not Dead Yet and looks the exact same, which is fine because I can't not see her with that hair and it's great but also lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I only know any of these characters because of the woman on tiktok who does impressions of Zooey Deschanel's character doing things in the modern world.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What's the tiktok

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shageletic posted:

What's the tiktok

It's more like "Wiiiinnsstooooon, what's the tiktok?"

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Extraordinary season 2 is really good, but the weird ad breaks in the middle of scenes is criminal on the part of Hulu.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Big McHuge posted:

Extraordinary season 2 is really good, but the weird ad breaks in the middle of scenes is criminal on the part of Hulu.

They should have done like old Trigun and had a guitar riff.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Khanstant posted:

Winston was my favourite character by far. Love some classic Winston and Cece mess around.

Also Cece is in Not Dead Yet and looks the exact same, which is fine because I can't not see her with that hair and it's great but also lol.

Yeah my biggest complaint about New Girl is it takes them so long to find the best character pairing and we didn't get enough of it.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 23, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love to watch Extraordinary s2 on Disney+ in the UK with no ads

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quiet on set was good but of course that culture writer writes for buzzfeed (Canada) lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still watching through the original 90s X-Men cartoon and I busted a gut at Robert Drake: Certified Public Accountant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watched the first episode of 3 Body Problem and it has me interested enough to keep watching. But I think this is the first time I’ve watched the first episode of a Netflix show and had it end with a “This season on…” bit, that feels like a very 2007 network procedural pilot episode aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can kinda understand it because the biggest chunk of the main plot doesn’t really kick in until episode 4/5. And it’s not a Surf Dracula situation or anything, there’s just a ton of context it needs to build before getting to that point and I can easily see people not being patient enough for it. Hence the “this season on” teaser that’s full of loud exciting stuff from the back half of the season.

I finished it today and really enjoyed it.