Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

Yeah but I need Golden Seeds in the early game way more than I need level 10 smithing stones in the late game.

You do you, but it's trivial to get like 10 flask charges right at the start without even killing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fister Roboto posted:

You do you, but it's trivial to get like 10 flask charges right at the start without even killing anything.

Is it? I’ve always found it to be a pretty big pain in the rear end. Lots of looking at a map on my phone, making marks on the in-game map, hunting them down, and repeat. Is there a super efficient and easy to remember route I don’t know about?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

Is it? I’ve always found it to be a pretty big pain in the rear end. Lots of looking at a map on my phone, making marks on the in-game map, hunting them down, and repeat. Is there a super efficient and easy to remember route I don’t know about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5TZM1QToA

This is what I follow, and it's pretty easy to memorize after a few runs. Just keep in mind that if you do get all the weapon upgrades too, it will trivialize the early areas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It continues to amuse me that the game cannot display the word "knight" in multiplayer but I just had a cooperative experience with "scarlet rotussy" uncensored lmao.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I always got the impression that Kenneth Haight didn't take the throne himself because he's the kind of person that didn't want the responsibility/risk of being ruler himself, but I can't remember the dialogue so I don't know if anything supports that take. Maybe I just got that idea because he prevails on the player to do the dirty work of clearing his keep for him.

I do like him for demystifying Godrick though. There's all this build up that you have to go into Stormveil and fight Godrick, this guy that's been tearing limbs off people and grafting them around, all this pomp and circumstance around claiming his rune- it all sounds sinister, and then you run into Ken and he tells you he's nothing but a country bumpkin hiding away from everyone.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Listerine posted:

I always got the impression that Kenneth Haight didn't take the throne himself because he's the kind of person that didn't want the responsibility/risk of being ruler himself, but I can't remember the dialogue so I don't know if anything supports that take. Maybe I just got that idea because he prevails on the player to do the dirty work of clearing his keep for him.

I do like him for demystifying Godrick though. There's all this build up that you have to go into Stormveil and fight Godrick, this guy that's been tearing limbs off people and grafting them around, all this pomp and circumstance around claiming his rune- it all sounds sinister, and then you run into Ken and he tells you he's nothing but a country bumpkin hiding away from everyone.

Kenneth struck me as a loyal vassal type with some hints of pragmatism. He knows his job and position as a support role in working for the betterment of Limgrave and everything he does is with that goal in mind. He doesn't make a play for the throne because he knows he has no legitimate claim and thus would have limited backing so instead he looks for a good and noble candidate to back.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like I ought to start considering a respec, figure out a more efficient build. I've been playing as spoiler-free as possible, so no looking up builds and weapons, running around Caelid with a bloodhound's tooth +7 with an even spread over str, dex, vigor, and end. Been picking up a lot of weapons requiring Int, so that seems interesting to put some points into as well, but not very *efficient* to be spread out so much.

Edit: probably also gotta start thinking about armor, I just tried the BIGGEST possible (and Carian Knight looks badass), but I can't wear the full Radahn set so my fashion is shamefully shot atm.

Aeble fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 22, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally if a weapon requires int it's one that you kinda want to use as a sorceror, and is designed to give you good damage with no physical stats.

There is at least one exception to that rule but most of the ones you find lying around are that kind of weapon, so they probably won't make super good weapons if you aren't speccing heavily into int. Same goes for faith actually. Couple of useful weapons maybe and some that also require investment into physical stats, but if it's just "a normal sword with a fth/int requirement" it's probably mostly designed for casters.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Can you just run past the bats and up the ladder in Fort Faroth? For some reason I expected they would be able to get you before the ladder or while you were climbing and I've just never tried it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Aeble posted:

I feel like I ought to start considering a respec, figure out a more efficient build. I've been playing as spoiler-free as possible, so no looking up builds and weapons, running around Caelid with a bloodhound's tooth +7 with an even spread over str, dex, vigor, and end. Been picking up a lot of weapons requiring Int, so that seems interesting to put some points into as well, but not very *efficient* to be spread out so much.

You really only want to invest in 2 damage stats at most. Your primary generally goes to 80, vigor to 60, so your secondary damage stat is still only going to be 30-45 sort of thing, depending on how much endurance and mind you want. (for a ~normal playthrough level 150).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Listerine posted:

Can you just run past the bats and up the ladder in Fort Faroth? For some reason I expected they would be able to get you before the ladder or while you were climbing and I've just never tried it.

gently caress those bats

Book it

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Listerine posted:

Absolutely. You might get poisoned but it’s so weak that a +0 flask or two can fix it. I always start a run heading there for the Soreseal, medallion, and bleeding out big sleepy. (After getting a gold foot in the west beach by the starting area.)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Aeble posted:

As a general rule of thumb if your weapon isn't fully or almost fully upgraded you probably don't need to worry too much about your offensive stats beyond the minimum required to wield the weapon. If you're unsatisfied with your damage output you'll almost always be better off going on a quest for runes/materials to upgrade it rather than runes to level your STR/DEX/INT/FTH/ARC. Not only will the base damage increase from a weapon upgrade be better than the increase from an extra stat point, but also weapon upgrades boost the weapon's stat scaling. This means A) upgrading a weapon will cause it to benefit more from the stats you already have, which is effectively the same as raising your stats and B) when you do start investing in your offensive stats you'll notice the difference a lot more when you have a high-level weapon with good scaling.

Using your bloodhound fang as an example, you may notice that now it's level 7, it's only just now gotten up to a B-level scaling in DEX. This is about the point where it might be wise to start putting points into DEX beyond the bare minimum 17. Maybe. You're still probably better off putting those points into VIG though.

If you want to put points into INT, it would be totally reasonable to make your character a DEX/INT character, except with your strength pushed up to 18 for the bloodhound's fang requirement. Obviously it's not going to be the most optimal build in history to have a DEX/INT character using a STR/DEX weapon, but perfectly serviceable.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 22, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
In ER, raise stats to minimum to use your weapons of choice then pump vigor to at least 40 imho.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I would simply not get hit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OwlFancier posted:

Generally if a weapon requires int it's one that you kinda want to use as a sorceror, and is designed to give you good damage with no physical stats.

There is at least one exception to that rule but most of the ones you find lying around are that kind of weapon, so they probably won't make super good weapons if you aren't speccing heavily into int. Same goes for faith actually. Couple of useful weapons maybe and some that also require investment into physical stats, but if it's just "a normal sword with a fth/int requirement" it's probably mostly designed for casters.

I’m not trying to pile on you here but I think this is wrong and here is why. Very few weapons in this game have such good scaling that the bulk of their damage comes from that instead of upgrades. If you meet the minimum requirements to wield a weapon and keep upgrading it, you will probably do just fine even if you never level INT or FTH again.

Like, take Radahn’s swords. Requires 38 STR, 12 DEX, 15 INT.
+0, base required stats: 257 AR
+10, base required stats: 718 AR
+10, base required STR/DEX, 80 INT: 766 AR. Congrats, you have added 65 levels of INT and can cast almost any sorcery for great damage…your swords, however, do less than 1 extra damage for every level of INT you added.

Starscourge greatswords have poor INT scaling though, only D at +10. Let’s try Bastard’s Stars, that gets an A at +10. Requires 8 STR, 22 DEX, 22 INT.

+0, base required stats: 184 AR
+10, base required stats: 521 AR
+10, base required STR/DEX, 80 INT: 671 AR. Well, it IS a bigger jump…but we’re still only gaining 2.5 AR for every level of INT.

And most weapons’ scaling isn’t even that good, even those which require a good bit of INT or FTH. You can go through these with AR calculators if you want. It rarely adds even 100 AR to go from base required INT/FTH to capping out.

tl;dr meet your requirements and level your weapon, don’t assume that because a weapon requires some INT or FTH it is “for casters”. Except in rare cases, stat scaling is gravy, not the main source of your weapon’s damage. Level INT and FTH primarily to meet weapon requirements or (if you want to) to meet spell requirements and increase casting damage. If you want to use them to increase weapon damage, that should be something you worry about only at endgame, when scaling is at its best and your build is otherwise solid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose I am thinking of things like the carian sword, clayman's harpoon, crystal weapons maybe, sword of night and flame perhaps?

Wing of astel is very good just because it has the busted skill and the ranged strong attack and I would use it on any character but otherwise I've never really seen a weapon out in the field with an int requirement that I thought "this would really work well for my mostly physical character" because if you're picking up physical stats you can use the high dex and str weapons which IMO are generally better?

I'm sure there are things like the radahn greatswords that are also int weapons but I can't think of much that you just find lying around that ever made me want to multiclass into int just to hit people with it. Wing of astel is great, sword of night and flame is also really cool but you need a lot of magic stat investment to even wield it so I'd still call it a caster weapon. Other than that there's not much that appeals. Does the cold rapier have an int requirement? Maybe that if you're desperate but I don't enormously like thrusting swords and if you're used to using a greatsword you'll probably hate them because they handle completely differently and you can't just twat people with them to make them stop hitting you. If you want to shoot ice at people then ice spear on a spear is much more versatile and effective.

It is correct that if you're a wizard your actual melee weapon is secondary but if you've put your points into casting you might as well use a weapon that does have a scaling stat you can use, your "hitting people with a stick" damage is always going to be worse because you put your points into spells but magic scaling weapons at least give you an easy way to access some scaling damage with the stats you've already raised.

I might generally prefer to go with a non-magic weapon just to buff it instead of course.

But yeah, my point is that int/fth requirement weapons that aren't clearly built for physical characters like also requiring massive str or dex, are generally not very good weapons IMO. Except for the ones that are very much built for casters like the sword of night and flame. Most of them are just mediocre weapons that happen to scale well with casting stats so they become a viable choice for casters.

Maybe some of the gravity weapons might appeal, I dunno I never really got much out of them, gravity is for throwing rocks at people with magic, the pushing and pulling people around abilities never really got me that far. Possibly useful in PVP I assume.

High physical requirement weapons have things like bleed built in, good movesets, good stagger, good range, good damage scaling. So if you can use those I think you'd be better off with one of them. Being able to wield those is part of the appeal of a physical build. There's not much IMO in the magic-requirement weapons that can compete in terms of utility as a weapon except for a couple of specific examples.

If you want to try out int weapons you can probably manage it with a mix of talismans, godrick great rune, and wondrous physick. That should get you enough to activate abilities on most of them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 23, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tbf this isn't taking soft caps into account. If you go from min to 50 int on the bastard's stars, you get ~3.8 magic AR per level of int. And flat damage reduction also means that the relation between AR and damage isn't completely linear.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Weapon arts and how they scale is an entirely different beast. Base int will still get you a nuke with starcaller cry, maybe it's a super nuke if you have a lot of int? A bunch of projectile ones and ghostflame stuff is 100% int, black flame tornado is 100% faith, etc etc.

It says this nowhere if course, as a general rule, the stat requirements are also stat importance. With the starcaller swords strength is way more important than int, and the stat minimums reflect that. Blasphemous blade - about even, you'll get a good return on investment with either of those stats, and so on

There isnt really any need to min-max, it's far better to just run whatever build seems fun and use whatever buffs you can to smooth it out in tough fights. Most critical stuff early is weapon minimums for whatever seems fun and then lots of vigor

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The only weapons that can scale with both Int and faith are the clay man’s harpoon (which is an under appreciated weapon), erdsteel dagger, and sword of night and flame, the former two needing infusions. Fun fact! Also very lame. Let me hex properly, from.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

The only weapons that can scale with both Int and faith are the clay man’s harpoon (which is an under appreciated weapon), erdsteel dagger, and sword of night and flame, the former two needing infusions. Fun fact! Also very lame. Let me hex properly, from.

Yeah hopefully DLC will give some more options on this since Miquella was an INT/FTH guy.

Not INT/FTH but on the subject of good low-req sidearms for casters: stone club from the Haima guys. 16 STR needed, takes sacred, flame art, magic and occult at B scaling, ridiculously fast R1 combo. Kind of annoying to farm though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OwlFancier posted:

It continues to amuse me that the game cannot display the word "knight" in multiplayer but I just had a cooperative experience with "scarlet rotussy" uncensored lmao.

the censoring thing is so dumb, I saw someone say they called their character Butter and it came out in multiplayer as the much worse looking "****er"

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Look at that…. Another salty loser that quit before the match was done in the arena!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM8xDRSyIHQ

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Back in my day, she did that anyway after sniffing hawk ash.

Even after the fix shes done that on my playthroughs :negative:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Ran through Stormveil with a random co-oper and TT on while making a new character today and every invader either suicided or severed. I know a lot of people just invade for Varre’s quest but it still seemed weird. I play with psn IDs on, I wonder if my co had a super offensive character name or something.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Oh, I always suicide when doing Varrequest. I’m usually using the basic samurai armor and weapon which doesn’t fit my build yet! I can’t be seen like this!
The real issue is when you use near and far invasions and spawn in Liurnia. This is a swamp! How am i going to kill myself without a pit to jump in?

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 23, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you not use the finger severer?

Or I guess spam bloody slash.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can. not sure why you wouldn't just do the fights while you're at it tho.

doing an rl1 run with +3 upgrades and it's really fun so far, though I don't think I'll be able to push it as far as my rl32 guy since he could at least take one hit. dying a lot to trash mobs, but also getting better at parrying. I usually keep telling myself I'm going to use block this time and then immediately start dodge rolling everything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't particularly like being a dick and invading people is kind of being a dick.

I didn't mind the bell covenants in DS2 because that's like, you entered the dick zone, fair enough. Also it's fun to do stupid gimmick builds in those like bringing a greatbow.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I'm just bad at invading and every time I tried for the quest, I would end up getting killed by someone with a cooperator. One time it was a 1v1, but I wasted maybe 5 minutes trying to find the person only to get one shot. Basically, I'm just not even going to pretend I'm any good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

UnbearablyBlight posted:

Ran through Stormveil with a random co-oper and TT on while making a new character today and every invader either suicided or severed. I know a lot of people just invade for Varre’s quest but it still seemed weird. I play with psn IDs on, I wonder if my co had a super offensive character name or something.

Maybe they didn't want to fight stormveil peeps?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Guys I beat the Elden Beast and Melania and Placidusax. I NG+ the game for another ending and I’m about to make a third run for Ranni.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

OwlFancier posted:

I don't particularly like being a dick and invading people is kind of being a dick.

Not really tho

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah dickwraithing was only a thing way back in DS1 when you could invade anyone in human form. In ER you can only invade people who have already summoned help, so you start off at a disadvantage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehh, sort of. You still have the entire level on your side. It's not very hard to be enough of a pain in the arse that it scuppers their chances of beating the boss.

Some people might enjoy it but I don't know that for any given player, which is why I only do cooperation and focus on being ablative armour for the host and pointing out secrets they missed. It would be nice if you got, like, consumable runes for getting the host to a new bonfire but I still enjoy helping them through.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, I always suicide when doing Varrequest. I’m usually using the basic samurai armor and weapon which doesn’t fit my build yet! I can’t be seen like this!
The real issue is when you use near and far invasions and spawn in Liurnia. This is a swamp! How am i going to kill myself without a pit to jump in?

I usually try on my three invasions since I suck and it will give them the satisfaction of winning at PvP. However, this last time I spawned in to some catacombs where the host and cooperator were just standing around the site of grace staring at each other. I ran up and blew a bubble shower down both of their throats. They messaged me later that they didn't even see me spawn in. Either lag or they were hella stoned (probably both).

The rest of the time I'm a co-op summon and have the blue ring turned on. Did you know that thing can summon you out of Roundtable Hold? I did not.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 23, 2024

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5TZM1QToA

This is what I follow, and it's pretty easy to memorize after a few runs. Just keep in mind that if you do get all the weapon upgrades too, it will trivialize the early areas.

Until I watched this video I had no idea you could use Spiritsprings to jump down.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

CaptainRat posted:

Until I watched this video I had no idea you could use Spiritsprings to jump down.

I went through my entire first playthrough and most of my second without knowing, it was very much a facepalm moment

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OwlFancier posted:

Ehh, sort of. You still have the entire level on your side. It's not very hard to be enough of a pain in the arse that it scuppers their chances of beating the boss.

I encountered someone who would only invade in boss arenas, named "SOLO THE BOSS". Pretty funny gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I encountered someone who would only invade in boss arenas, named "SOLO THE BOSS". Pretty funny gimmick

i didnt think it was possible to invade in boss arenas intentionally, though ive invaded into fire giant more than a few times