Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Colin Mockery posted:

this game is soooooo great

i didnt even think to look for that, and im very happy that apparently it MERGES achievements, it doesn't just wipe your progress and replace it, because i just started playing it on my phone but still had progress on my laptop

Okay yeah I actually love this. The android windows link thing I have set up means I already share a clipboard with my phone so it's super easy to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Einander posted:

Wait, Bard traded the Charged Shield side for a Cantrip Attack? What in the world happened there? It had all the obvious synergies and it also made Copycat much stronger; I only ever really bothered taking a Ninja if I had a Bard or a character with Steel. Bard is way less valuable and way less interesting now and that really sucks. :(

I think the charged side got downgraded to balance out the "Else" tactic Bard brings with them now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Else fucks. Bard is really good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
is Else a bard-only thing?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Played this on my iPad til 2am, bought it, then bought it again on my phone to ensure I would never ever be without it anywhere. loving incredible game

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

someone awful. posted:

under "ledger" there's a button you can press to get a copy-able string that will carry over your achievements when you put it into a different version of the game

Is that a 3.0 feature? I have not played since 2.0.0 and do not see it. I guess I can always update if needed.

Edit: found the copy achievement button under the stats tab.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 23, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, so far I'd say the only major criticism i have is that a lot of weird keywords are set up to change your dice every turn, and the UI is not set up to present that information to you, so you have to open your inventory at the beginning of each turn and go and check on the pip/keywords of all your variable dice sides each time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wait, Single use punches through Stasis? Then what the hell does Stasis actually do?!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I could've sworn I'd used single use with stasis before and had the thing not break, maybe it got patched?

Beat nightmare once to say I did, I'm pretty sure something like this is the only real way to ever win because of the death sigils.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, Single use punches through Stasis? Then what the hell does Stasis actually do?!

Stasis doesn't seem to be applying properly yeah. There are a lot of cases where you can equip crystallize, applying stasis to all your sides, and they change because it's screwing with pre-existing keywords.

And changing things is the opposite of what stasis should do.

Similarly the werewolf item (which replaces all your sides every even turn) does not actually replace your sides and cancel exert.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Tunicate posted:

Stasis doesn't seem to be applying properly yeah. There are a lot of cases where you can equip crystallize, applying stasis to all your sides, and they change because it's screwing with pre-existing keywords.

And changing things is the opposite of what stasis should do.

Similarly the werewolf item (which replaces all your sides every even turn) does not actually replace your sides and cancel exert.

equipping Ice Cube on a Glacia, at least, does seem to work. the Single-use on the Weaken side doesn't apply

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Inflict single use punches through. But the way Stasis reads, it should prevent it twice. 1)Inflict single use -> Can't happen mate. My sides can't change. You ain't adding anything to my sides. 2)The inflicted single use triggers and deletes my ability. -> Still shouldn't happen. My sides. Can't. Change.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Share a paste if you have a repeatable bug, stasis vs inflictSingleUse seems to work fine to me. You get the debuff but the sides don't change.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll fiddle with the interface to try to recreate the situation. It was either an inflict single use or a Bramble, which isn't quite the same thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like stasis keyword doesn't block werewolf transform, but stasis from curses does.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Community custom modes spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1luABHu-U143znPqo7Kf-OVAwB9Do3FjA2uO02HTdCv4/edit#gid=0

I tried out bone zone and boss brawl, both are cool!

Tann fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 23, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Just got this for my phone, and its great. Question:

So far ive beat the game on easy and normal, am trying to beat it on hard but keep running into the loving sword guy and getting unlucky instakill on turn 2 or 3 which just ruins the entire fight. Last run ended when he instakilled my 20 hp leader turn 2... :argh: I am not seeing a lot of the OP stuff people are talking about, how can I improve at Hard? Do i need to unlock items? Like ive died at the bosses on Hard a few times and the items i am getting through the run felt pretty useless \ not impactful and some of the hero upgrades were pretty dire. Just RNG and need to punch through?

Second question is mechanical: I got the item that adds patient to the middle to rightmost sides and slapped it on 2 different characters over the course of the run. I never once saw patient proc. My understanding is if i dont roll that side and use it on a turn then next turn I get 2x if I use it. Is that right? Or is it you cant use ANY patient keyword sides or else it blocks all patient keywords from proccing next turn. Or is it the character cant use any dice and then next turn patient will proc?

Honestly i thought it was if the dice face itself isnt used (i swear i had a patient left side dice face that was pretty powerful once i rolled it in a fight... but now i cant remember how it procd)

Incredible game ty for any tips

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc patient needs you to not use any dice side. i've got no idea how it interacts with dice pips being consumed to cast abilities, but it probably counts as a dice-use

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

iirc patient needs you to not use any dice side. i've got no idea how it interacts with dice pips being consumed to cast abilities, but it probably counts as a dice-use

that makes sense given how it worked, and definitely makes me rethink its usefulness

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Yeah Patient is best in scenarios where you've got a lot of blanks and one really good side. That's not a great scenario to be in broadly of course.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Patient is great if it's on someone with lots of blanks, with a powerful Exert side (lots of yellows) or is one of the reds or blues with support sides that won't always get used when rolled

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So far Pilgrim is one class I always keep as long as possible, just an insanely cool utility guy

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's hard to say where you're going wrong on not being able to beat hard. There's a lot of kinds of decisions in the game and I can't tell you where your blind spots are. However, most likely, as a newer player, you're not settling for mediocre sides enough during rerolls. As they say, Cs get degrees.

Also, some new players play too defensively. The enemies generally have more attack than you have defense. Plus they have things like petrify and poison and summons that will scale their advantage over time. They are going to kill you, eventually. You can slow that clock down, but the only thing that can put you in the advantage is killing enough of them that your defense now outclasses their attack.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I've been trying to do the 5 blues and generally it's been pretty successful up to the final boss but then it falls apart. Now I just get roadblocked by the 2 health immune to ability thorns all the time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Stab posted:

It's hard to say where you're going wrong on not being able to beat hard. There's a lot of kinds of decisions in the game and I can't tell you where your blind spots are. However, most likely, as a newer player, you're not settling for mediocre sides enough during rerolls. As they say, Cs get degrees.

Also, some new players play too defensively. The enemies generally have more attack than you have defense. Plus they have things like petrify and poison and summons that will scale their advantage over time. They are going to kill you, eventually. You can slow that clock down, but the only thing that can put you in the advantage is killing enough of them that your defense now outclasses their attack.

Yeah, broadly speaking you want to focus on mana > attacks > heals/shield.

I feel another newbie pitfall is being too afraid of blanks/single-use sides. It's good to have a mix of heroes with lots of reliable sides and heroes with a few big sides, because they fill different functions and benefit from different items. And single-use sides are almost always worth it, you want to wrap up fights ASAP anyhow so getting upfront power in exchange for losing a side is a good deal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Dr. Stab posted:

Well whenever I have a powerful synergy I end up running into a boss that instakills my synergistic piece. Is that just bad luck or RNG that I didn't have a guy who can rez? Like I had a leader and I was trying to rely on his formation ability to deal AOE damage + get some defense back on my side but he got headsplit by the hand on turn 2. I didn't have a "massive" damage dealer on that team but I had no problems grinding the previous levels using his ability to keep everyone healthy while dealing damage. The biggest problem I had with that run outside of getting 1 shot (is there a way to prevent this btw? other than defy death or having rez?) was having a bunch of bad items. I had like 4-5 dead items in my inventory and a lot of useless poo poo on my persons in my failed runs.

Of course the moment I bitch on the forums I end up with a winning run, and I can say that the biggest difference between this run and others is actually getting useful items. This last run I ended up winning with the Venom, Berserker (whatever the deathstrike barbarian type guy is), Valkyrie, The upgraded medic that has an AOE 1 regen for 4 mana (forget what its called), and a Wizard. The key imo is I got crazy good items, like I had troll blood early, I got the one that cantrips any 1 pip facings which meant my pre-wizard blue character was constantly procing mana and obviously thats insane on wizard given they have a ton of 1 pip sides. I got an item that sets the entire middle row to 3 damage swords and then the one that buffs those by 1 so I always had a lot of good offense midgame. I ended up using that late game for Venom to make sure I had consistent damage once I got the berserker guy. Pilgrim was insanely strong early and then I got Valkyrie right before I got the Berserker so it was very synergistic. I was either defying death or immediately rezzing him. The boss was the dragon and I got to double tap with the deathstrike using wizard inspire so I managed to end things pretty quick. Most of the pre boss fights were me setting up a lot of group regen to keep alive while dealing damage with my 2 offensive pieces and magic.

Is it worthwhile to just unlock everything now that I've cleared the first 3 difficulties? Not sure I wanna work through achievements and stuff to unlock more items but would rather focus on improving at the game itself.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tann posted:

Community custom modes spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1luABHu-U143znPqo7Kf-OVAwB9Do3FjA2uO02HTdCv4/edit#gid=0

I tried out bone zone and boss brawl, both are cool!

Cat Sitter is extremely stupid but also really interesting.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

You can unlock all whenever you want, as long as you generally understand all the game mechanics and hero archetypes you should be fine with whatever new poo poo pops up.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

a "good" player can end up with 90% of modes unlocked within like 10 decent runs (not even winning runs!), though, you can also leave them locked and keep that drip feed of rewards coming for a while, if you think it will keep you interested

having more options isn't gonna help you get better any faster, so. not like it matters much either way

Ramie fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 24, 2024

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Okay, Blursed-Ultra is the best mode ever made. Even after I screwed myself by picking heavy and slippery dice together I can still keep going.I can only imagine how broken it can get when played by someone actually good at the game.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
oh my god what happened to twin :gonk:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

It's probably for the best that all the weird gimmicky grays got moved to the gimmicky character category, but it mostly feels like I'm throwing if I pick a party setup that has greens when I'm playing unfair runs.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Anyone know if there's an achievement for contriving to lose to a barrel?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Well whenever I have a powerful synergy I end up running into a boss that instakills my synergistic piece. Is that just bad luck or RNG that I didn't have a guy who can rez?

In general, people new to the game have to kinda unlearn habits from other games. Trying to build a team that can slug it out is usually not the winning move. Party member's lives are a resource you spend. If you kill the last enemy and your last party member dies, you still win. And going for huge item/class combos is good if you can get it, but it's not something that should really be something you go for. Since classes changes and great build you have now could be made absolutely useless in a level.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
The last achievement I have to unlock is beating Shortcut Normal in 15 minutes or less and I've been beating my head against it every now and then since 2.0. Even turning on fast monster turns hasn't helped :argh: I know it's totally pointless because the thing it unlocks is something I'll never use and I can unlock it any time I like, but it's the principle of the thing.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

CainFortea posted:

In general, people new to the game have to kinda unlearn habits from other games. Trying to build a team that can slug it out is usually not the winning move. Party member's lives are a resource you spend. If you kill the last enemy and your last party member dies, you still win. And going for huge item/class combos is good if you can get it, but it's not something that should really be something you go for. Since classes changes and great build you have now could be made absolutely useless in a level.

One good way of practicing this is by using 5x cultist as starting lineup for an all blue run.

Can't avoid death if all your dudes try to commit suicide from turn 1

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can there be an achievement for making an egg flee from you

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Naar posted:

The last achievement I have to unlock is beating Shortcut Normal in 15 minutes or less and I've been beating my head against it every now and then since 2.0. Even turning on fast monster turns hasn't helped :argh: I know it's totally pointless because the thing it unlocks is something I'll never use and I can unlock it any time I like, but it's the principle of the thing.

No thinking, just damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What the hell does the Zeroed keyword do?