Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they've said one of their stated goals was to make peacetime as fun and engaging as wartime; whether they succeed is another question, but it makes me think there will be a lot of systems related to how well-run your country is, and Byz will just be mid-collapse internally, even if it remains in control of more territory than its neighbors.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah Byzantium was in extremely sad shape after like 1300 and it was a minor miracle that they held on until 1454.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Historically the Byzantines Romans were unable to conquer Anatolia in the fourteenth century because they had basically no allies at all - the Serbs, Bulgarians, Vlachs, Latin kingdoms in Greece, Venetians, Genoans, and Turkish emirates were all bleeding them dry. Everyone they managed to get any kind of temporary alliance from ended up doing more harm to them than good. A non specific example of how it would unfold - they get raided by Vlachs, so they hire Turks to get the Vlachs out of the countryside, the Turks accept the payment after negotiating it way up, drive off the Vlachs, and then pick up exactly where the Vlachs were raiding. So they go ask the Pope for help, and the Pope maybe rallies some Normans in exchange for the Romans declaring papal supremacy, and the Normans fight one indecisive battle and the Turks decide to go home, then the Norman leader declares himself Duke of Thessalonica, and the citizens of Constantinople denounce papal supremacy and so the Pope withdraws his support for the Romans against the Normans. Meanwhile, to keep the Venetians and Genoans from going on slaving raids, they give them trading rights out the wazoo that amount to the Romans getting no profits from the fabulously profitable trade that passes through their territory, and then the Genoans do slave raids anyway and shrug and say that the dude who did it isn't really on their payroll.

The main reason that they were able to stay together as long as they did were that the Slavs/Vlachs/Magyars to the north and the Turks to the east were put under a lot of pressure by the Mongols and Mongol successor states.

So they'd presumably model this by doing the equivalent of EU4 dip rep penalties and crippling start-of-game treaties. Their situation would also maybe be easier to model if they change the mercenary system somehow whereby failing to pay or dismissing mercenaries early could result in those mercenaries turning into rebels so you can't just debt finance a bunch of mercenaries and kill the people who are hassling you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hoping that EU5 leans away from stuff like the ottomans' huge military bonuses from their great national genes. CK3 seems a lot more interested in the gradual change of cultural and religious traditions, which is a good sign.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one asked but I think the Anbennar loading screen tip that’s like « gnolls are said to have invented slavery » pretty weird

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I like Anbennar but there's a decent chunk of things that make me go "Wow you really didn't think about this when you wrote it, huh?"

Which like it is a D&D inspired setting so that's pretty par for the course

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

gnolls be like that tho

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009
From what I have read, they plan to remove that as it isn't even true in the setting.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its just homebrewed fluff. Play the dwarfs and just dig into mountains like a normal person.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
There's a story in Anbennar?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jay Rust posted:

No one asked but I think the Anbennar loading screen tip that’s like « gnolls are said to have invented slavery » pretty weird

Funnily enough that loading screen tip just got removed. Because it’s not even remotely true in the lore in the first place, nor has it ever been true.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm ready for this mysterious game that is definitely not EU5.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Really a lot of work for Sengoku 2 tbh.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Funky Valentine posted:

Really a lot of work for Sengoku 2 tbh.

They modeled the whole world map just so you could do a ryukyu WC in sengoku 2

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Part of me wonders if they are being so coy about the name of this new mystery game is because they are thinking about a new name.

With the move to an earlier start date, and more of a pop and economy simulation focus with less of a boardgamey feel, I could see merit in a new name.

Especially with the push of so many expansions to bring focus more globally and not just in Europe.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean, sure, but I feel they'd have renamed Crusader Kings if that was the case, since most of the arguments to rename EU are also there for CK.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
They would have to really hate money to not name it Europa Universalis.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I'd say its just to engage the community. I mean lotta people like playing guess the startdate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like they were pretty upfront about the reasoning, with something that made perfect sense. The realities of a marketing campaign means that you don't want to announce too early, but the realities of game dev means you want feedback early. They're doing their best to thread that needle, even if the result is pretty goofy.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Also it's clearly For The Glory II.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Random thought about start dates/date range: it could be they’re following CK in 2 starts instead of one. 13-whatever can match 867 for a ~~wacky anything goes start, then something 1454-1492 for one where the majors of the period are more well-established.

Not just in Europe. The rumored start dates are around Red Turban Rebellion times. You could have the original Yuan as an East Asian Byzantines 1444 style start.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 22, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

soviet elsa posted:

You could have the original Yuan as an East Asian Byzantines 1444 style start.
:quagmire:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Oh probably, I can’t imagine it being named anything else. But when it’s pretty obvious it’s eu5 aren’t you going to be generating similar amounts of hype to just announcing eu5 is in development?

soviet elsa posted:

Random thought about start dates/date range: it could be they’re following CK in 2 starts instead of one. 3-whatever can match 867 for a ~~wacky anything goes start, then something 1454-1492 for one where the majors of the period are more well-established.

Not just in Europe. The rumored start dates are around Red Turban Rebellion times. You could have the original Yuan as an East Asian Byzantines 1444 style start.

I think an earlier start date makes sense to line it up with other things outside of Western Europe like an ascendant but not dominant Ottoman Empire, the red turban rebellion, Tamerlane showing up to year poo poo up.

But on the Western Europe side of things, I kind of agree with the thesis from the tides of history guy that things like the reconquista and 100 years war were the beginnings of the centralization process that was getting going in the eu4 start dates. So it has a lot of potential for that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Demon_Corsair posted:

Oh probably, I can’t imagine it being named anything else. But when it’s pretty obvious it’s eu5 aren’t you going to be generating similar amounts of hype to just announcing eu5 is in development?

Again, they've been pretty open that the purpose here isn't hype--their marketing team would rather they remain silent until it's closer to release. The purpose is feedback.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Again, they've been pretty open that the purpose here isn't hype--their marketing team would rather they remain silent until it's closer to release. The purpose is feedback.

But is there really that much difference between asking for feedback on eu5 vs asking for feedback on a game that uses a lot of eu mechanics and is set pretty close to the standard eu time period and is made by the guy behind eu4 and by the studio that has been doing eu4 for the last several years but it could be anything wink wink.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 22, 2024

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Well considering there haven't been a bunch of "Paradox Announces EU5" tweets and articles, yes yes there is

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I dont really understand, what kind of feedback can a person give based on what they’ve shown? « I like this icon, I don’t like this font »?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Demon_Corsair posted:

Johan did this same thing with Imp and people figured that one out nearly as fast.

e: Now that I think about it, that one was a rename :thunk:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

VideoWitch posted:

Well considering there haven't been a bunch of "Paradox Announces EU5" tweets and articles, yes yes there is

I guess, but there has just been a steady stream of eu4 YouTubers putting out eu5 videos.

Paradox gets the best of both worlds. Nothing “official” but the hype starts building for the people that already pay attention.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Eurasia Universalis

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If they were going to change the name, which seems unlikely, the most likely candidate seems to be Earth Universalis, to me

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Change the name so that Europa Universalis can be a space mining grand strategy set on the Jovian moons, as it was meant to be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They came out and confirmed April 1st, 1337

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/why-did-we-pick-1337-for-the-start-year.1642258/

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
  • There is still a colony on Greenland

Ya I wanna see what crazy poo poo they do with this.

Sidenote, Wikipedia never fails to teach me the important things like what the DNA number/id/whatever(?) for the Timurid Dynasty is. According to a twitter post, it's Y-DNA R-M198 (R1A1) for all those just dying to know.
e:I should really look at my urls more often

Box wine fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 23, 2024

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Box wine posted:

• There is still a colony on Greenland

Ya I wanna see what crazy poo poo they do with this.

Sidenote, Wikipedia never fails to teach me the important things like what the DNA number/id/whatever(?) for the Timurid Dynasty is. According to a twitter post, it's Y-DNA R-M198 (R1A1) for all those just dying to know.

I did a DNA test through Ancestry.com and apparently I'm R-L226, which is the CK3 Ireland tutorial king's dynasty

e: For more content, I mostly lurk in here and the PDX/CK3 threads, but I'm trying to get into EUIV again. The game is just so dang dense. I'm watching Quill18's tutorial series on YT, but I'm curious if there's any other good obvious "dip your toes into EUIV" material out there.

manero fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 23, 2024

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
This dude comes up in my youtube feed a bunch and from what I can tell does alright for beginner guides.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheRedHawk

EUIV is mainly just stacking modifiers for whatever it is you want. Want to rule the HRE? You're going to try to stack diplomatic reputation bonuses. Just takes bit of playing to figure out what bonuses you want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Red Hawk is really good for getting a broad overview of what you're trying to do, yeah, and he often brings up easy-to-forget things. The one thing he won't really help with is how to win wars. His videos consistently skip past the part where armies are moving around, because he tries to stay under an hour and that part is kind of boring to watch.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ah, interesting, thanks, I haven't come across his channel yet, bookmarked!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well that's gonna make the Muscovy start (and probably all of the Russian principalities + Lithuania) fun as hell.

Curious to see how devastating they can make the Roman civil wars that are about to kick off, on one hand the state is much less doomed than it becomes during those wars, but on the other they seem pretty determined (correctly) to gently caress with the Byzaboos at this point in the EU lifecycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anbennar has shown eu4 players love bullshit disasters.