Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's 100% something you could do yourself, but if it doesn't work, it's new, and it's covered by a warranty loving get them out there to fix it. I'll happily spend my weekend fixing poo poo in my house, but if the problem is something I paid for not working hell yes I'm hauling them in.

Absolutely this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I posted this in the other house thread, but figured I'd cover my bases and cross post here as well:

hark posted:

Hello goons!

So I have a concrete porch that sticks out of the front of my house. It's holding up it's own section of roof with wrought iron supports that are pretty rusted to poo poo in a lot of spots. Also, the concrete is cracking and separating in a section that starts from the corner and is making it's way around the front.

my questions is, what kind of person can/should I get to try to fix this? General contractor? Concrete person? Iron person? All of them glued together?

I have this nagging fear in the back of my mind that the whole front of the house is gonna fall down and I'm gonna have to move out because they're going to condemn it.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, after 13 years of strong service, our dryer is making some funny noises intermittently. Kenmore Elite gas dryer 796.9102 - which I'm pretty sure is a re-branded LG of some sort.

This album should have two videos with audio, the first is the new sound it is making intermittently during a cycle, the bottom is how quiet it normally is:

https://imgur.com/a/IX0linr

Is this a bearing for the drum going bad or something? The noise seems to generally be coming from the rear of the unit. Any other thoughts? I'm comfortable trying to fix it myself but want to know roughly how I should further narrow down what part might need replacement. I've done a lot of work on houses, but dryers are not something I've had to tinker with in the past.

Thanks in advance goons!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ROJO posted:

Alright, after 13 years of strong service, our dryer is making some funny noises intermittently. Kenmore Elite gas dryer 796.9102 - which I'm pretty sure is a re-branded LG of some sort.

This album should have two videos with audio, the first is the new sound it is making intermittently during a cycle, the bottom is how quiet it normally is:

https://imgur.com/a/IX0linr

Is this a bearing for the drum going bad or something? The noise seems to generally be coming from the rear of the unit. Any other thoughts? I'm comfortable trying to fix it myself but want to know roughly how I should further narrow down what part might need replacement. I've done a lot of work on houses, but dryers are not something I've had to tinker with in the past.

Thanks in advance goons!

Sounds like it's one of the many noises made by the thing I've had to replace multiple times on my LG dryer: "Drum Support Bearings". I bought some off of amazon that didn't make it even a year, then did the job again with actual LG replacement parts at twice the price and it's been good for a couple years now.

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-roller-assembly-4581el2002h-ap6985402.html That's where I got mine. That might be the right ones for yours, but double check before ordering. I'm just pulling that out of my purchase history.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Sounds like it's one of the many noises made by the thing I've had to replace multiple times on my LG dryer: "Drum Support Bearings". I bought some off of amazon that didn't make it even a year, then did the job again with actual LG replacement parts at twice the price and it's been good for a couple years now.

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-roller-assembly-4581el2002h-ap6985402.html That's where I got mine. That might be the right ones for yours, but double check before ordering. I'm just pulling that out of my purchase history.

Thanks! That was kind of my suspicion based on some cursory searching and everyone saying they seem to fail between 8-12 years in. Ordered four new rollers for my unit - replacement seems pretty straightforward once I unstack the dryer and get it on the floor. The only hard part will be finagling the vent back together when I'm done.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Day 1 was the Ethernet, day 2 the furnace stops working. Off to a great start

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welcome to owning a home. It never loving stops.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Unless it isn't supposed to stop, then it does.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve yet to post about how our old home kitchen reno has turned into “hey these exterior walls are sitting on blocks and loose concrete. We were able to rip the joists out but we have no structure to attach to and you need to pour footings”. And my kitchen is just a hollow room with dirt.

So I’ve been reading every post from my “it could be worse!” tower.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had issues with my last house, but it wasn’t a new build so they weren’t frequent. This is par for the course I guess

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Day 1 was the Ethernet, day 2 the furnace stops working. Off to a great start

Based on my recent experience, dont worry. After seven or eight more major failures things will start getting worse at a slower rate and some things will be fixed.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Up to three now, the fridge tripped its breaker

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Deep breaths and remember the saying: These things come in threes lol no they're infinite.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Hotel Kpro posted:

Arc fault breaker by chance? Fridges can trip those on start-up sometimes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AFCI/GFCI breakers will also tell you why they tripped, just look up the documentation online for the particular manufacturer you have.

Eaton uses a blink code on a small LED, which I greatly prefer over Square-D's "reset while holding the button, count the number of seconds until it re-trips" method.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
So glad I figured out how to fix the temperature profile for our furnace on the rear end-end of winter. probably ended up burning (only) 20% more gas than our old furnace over the past 6 months because I could at least figure out how to limit the temperature to 40 degrees C. It was basically set to "uninsulated house", rather than something sensible. Oh well, lesson learned. I suppose by the time I know what I need to keep this house running I'll be about ready to die.

Struensee fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 18, 2024

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

So this is the month where a lot of poo poo just seems to be going wrong for the gently caress of it. I'm dealing with a $700 water bill that the water company initially said must be a leak, but after having plumbers out and paying them $$$, it appears that....the water person just read the meter wrong. Because meters don't go backwards. So gently caress me there.

And also I'm trying to switch mortgage insurance companies, and the new company honed in on one corner of the house where a small (like 2 inches of one shingle) part of the siding came off thanks to my dumbfuck father "helping" me with another repair. So now they've got me by the balls and are demanding that I fix this one shingle, or they're cancelling my insurance. Or they've already cancelled it and might "reinstate it" if I can document the repair. And the insurance agent just said to call a repairman because there are multiple acceptable fixes that the underwriter noted but they can't just...tell me? For some reason? gently caress me. Happy birthday.

Anyway, I wanted to vent and also ask if anyone has any suggestions for fixing a small siding issue. I just put up a request on Angi's list, but mostly I'm worried that I won't be able to find someone for such a small repair before May, which is how long I have to fix it. I live in the Seattle area, if that matters to anyone.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hark posted:

I posted this in the other house thread, but figured I'd cover my bases and cross post here as well:

I just fixed something very very similar to this for my mother. You're looking for someone who does damaged foundation/pad work to raise and reverse that settling. Said contractor ought to know how to raise, level, and pour beneath it, even while loaded by your porch overhang.

Imo, only use a GC if you can find one who comes very highly recommended. I don't know what happened over the past decade, but it seems 9 out of 10 of them are outright scammers, to a comedic degree. I had success directly engaging a foundation repair company. Yes, you are going to ask for a copy of their insurance and check its veracity. You also will politely demand a warranty on the work.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 18, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MEIN RAVEN posted:

So this is the month where a lot of poo poo just seems to be going wrong for the gently caress of it. I'm dealing with a $700 water bill that the water company initially said must be a leak, but after having plumbers out and paying them $$$, it appears that....the water person just read the meter wrong. Because meters don't go backwards. So gently caress me there.

And also I'm trying to switch mortgage insurance companies, and the new company honed in on one corner of the house where a small (like 2 inches of one shingle) part of the siding came off thanks to my dumbfuck father "helping" me with another repair. So now they've got me by the balls and are demanding that I fix this one shingle, or they're cancelling my insurance. Or they've already cancelled it and might "reinstate it" if I can document the repair. And the insurance agent just said to call a repairman because there are multiple acceptable fixes that the underwriter noted but they can't just...tell me? For some reason? gently caress me. Happy birthday.

Anyway, I wanted to vent and also ask if anyone has any suggestions for fixing a small siding issue. I just put up a request on Angi's list, but mostly I'm worried that I won't be able to find someone for such a small repair before May, which is how long I have to fix it. I live in the Seattle area, if that matters to anyone.

Go to the hardware store and ask them for contractor recommendations

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm in the market for a Murphy bed, but really don't have any idea where to start. Any suggestions from folks?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm in the market for a Murphy bed, but really don't have any idea where to start. Any suggestions from folks?

I went deep down this rabbit hole and the answer is Costco's website

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Buy IBM, Apple, Microsoft, and Google stocks, I know these companies don't exist yet in your timeline but buy them when they do!

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I am buying a 1965 house with cast iron pipes. A lateral sewer inspection was not conducted because my home inspector and subsequent plumber I called could not locate a sewer cleanout. This is obviously a problem because I cannot assess the state of plumbing, and it looks like pipes of this age and material degrade and may start leaking/get blocked. There aren't any trees/roots to worry about at least, and the sellers *claim* they have had no issues with the plumbing thus far, so they never thought about the cleanout pipe. I received a $5,500 credit for the purposes of installing one.

The plumber claims the risk of damaging the existing cast iron pipes during the install of a plastic cleanout pipe is "very very low". I am not sure whether to actually go through with the install right away (deferred maintenance meme here). It'd seem the main benefit for one is if the line gets clogged. The lateral sewer inspection seems less pressing if I already own the home - would they be able to see that the pipe, for example, is already leaking my sewage with their camera?

The pipe failing seems like a time bomb either way. I suppose the clogging situation means sewage would backup into the home, rather than the cleanout pipe?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They should be able to either pull a toilet, or mount the roof, and run a camera in either case. Then, they should be able to locate a cleanout wye if there is one.

See if code requires a cleanout now, and determine if you'd have to put one as the buyer.

My mom's (built 1952) house did not have one. I (as executor) sold it to my sister after my Mom died, and the township required a pipe inspection. The plumber ran it from the basement toilet, confirmed that there was in fact no cleanout, and jetted it - which made something of a mess in the basement but it did clean up OK (normally they'll jet from the curb cleanout, which throws the water back into the street sewer main).

She did not have to get a cleanout installed.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 19, 2024

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I am buying a 1965 house with cast iron pipes. A lateral sewer inspection was not conducted because my home inspector and subsequent plumber I called could not locate a sewer cleanout. This is obviously a problem because I cannot assess the state of plumbing, and it looks like pipes of this age and material degrade and may start leaking/get blocked. There aren't any trees/roots to worry about at least, and the sellers *claim* they have had no issues with the plumbing thus far, so they never thought about the cleanout pipe. I received a $5,500 credit for the purposes of installing one.

If you've already received the $5,500 credit and you're moving forward anyway, I'm not sure I'd worry too much beyond questioning the plumber's competence. Cleanouts make it easier to scope, but there are other ways to get the scope in there. Realtor's plumber? Just know that you might be inheriting a large expense coming up.

That said, $5,500 for a cleanout installation quote seems hilariously high. Did that quote include new line to the street? My house has Orangeburg pipes (basically WWII pipes made of tarred cardboard) from the house to the street. The scope showed them to be in remarkable shape, but I'll be updating those when I landscape. Quote for that 20' run from two plumbers was $5k, including a cleanout.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Apologies - 5500 to cover clean out as well as vapor barrier. Bay Area quote from an expedited Yelp pick of mine that could come out fast. They ballparked a new lateral line at 10-15k. I asked them if they could just take the toilet off and look but they had some reason it wasn’t considered a good practice anymore/for the pipe layout and would not do it.

Pipes not up to code without a cleanout according the plumber.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I guess I'll just say be prepared for a possibility for additional expense when they install the clean out, had a similar situation at my house and when the plumbers got to the bottom of the hole they found an original 1940's galvanized water line in poor condition perilously close to where they needed to do their work. They told me they could proceed but if the water line broke it would be an ordeal and more expensive than scheduling an entire replacement. So I waited until the spring and they dug up my lawn and replaced both at once, seller credit for the cleanout ended up paying for about half the total job. It's real common for a lot of that stuff to have been run in the same trench originally.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Your responses are incredible - I’ll have some $ portioned for this spooky scary exciting future. I’m sure my first wad of cash will go towards some unexpected failure that will make me sad again

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What's a cleanout?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

What's a cleanout?

I think some people call it a bidet

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

What's a cleanout?

This is one fully exposed but it would typically be buried except for the two caps at the top.

They're fittings that give you easy access to the main sewer line as it leaves your house and traverses to the street (or your septic system). One cleanout gives you an angle to snake/scope towards the house, the other gives you the angle to snake/scope towards the street/septic.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow 2 directions? You fancy fucker

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
My 1947 house didn’t have clean outs and the OG cement sewer line was collapsing. The company that burst a new line for us put in a double clean out like that and the city installed a clean out on the street side. Feels good to know that’s taken care of and I don’t have to worry about it forever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Well, poo poo, unforseen consequence of buying a new home: A surprise tax bill because apparently my new state's tax agency has been trying to find me for fifteen years over a few hundred in taxes I owed, and now that I've got a house in state again they were able to and that amount I owe become several thousands. Whoops.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our boat moves from county to county when we change marinas, usually less than a year, and our address pretty regularly. Eventually we'll keep the boat in the same marina long enough and live at the same address and the tax man will find us

But in every case they've waived the late penalty when I called to ask about it. Went from $1000 with penalties down to $500.

Might be different for property tax; land property tax is compulsory; boat taxes might only be up to the local comptroller to find and levy according to CA law but I talk have no idea

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This was income tax, apparently, although god knows what I was doing in this state 13 years ago such that I owed $500 in taxes for the year.

Apparently there's a bunch of paperwork I can fill out and if I submit my last 8 years of income tax evidence without problems indicating I don't owe them any more they might reduce it.

Which, let's be real, I am not going to manage to do, that's three moves ago.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Reminds me when I was all over the country doing education consulting. Had to file in 11 states, pretty sure I forgot to mail one in. I bet if I file in Alabama again in my life, they might come after me, but I highly doubt I’ll even step foot in the state again, let alone need to file.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I always try to shop around for home insurance comparisons this time of year but I live in CA and looks like my zip code 'isn't an option' for some of the major insurers. Should I consider going with a local insurance agent or is there any other recommended aggregator for home insurance I should be looking at (hippo, policygenius)? I know it's always a pain in the rear end so I figure I'd ask other people their experience with this.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

adnam posted:

I always try to shop around for home insurance comparisons this time of year but I live in CA and looks like my zip code 'isn't an option' for some of the major insurers. Should I consider going with a local insurance agent or is there any other recommended aggregator for home insurance I should be looking at (hippo, policygenius)? I know it's always a pain in the rear end so I figure I'd ask other people their experience with this.

Especially in this recent insurance environment, brokers who can do all the shopping around for you are worthwhile. I'm actually trying to insure a a somewhat challenging property right now, and several brokers have told me they have nothing for me, but Anthony Graziani at http://aliveinsurance.com/ found me a policy so you could try him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's making homeowner's insurance so hard to get now? Is this a CA-specific wildfire thing?