Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok I went and read scholomance

I'm mad that it was really good

Naomi Novik is a really good fanfic writer and I don't know how to feel about that

there are no original ideas; ergo everything is fanfic; ergo naomi novik is a really good writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

there are no original ideas; ergo everything is fanfic; ergo naomi novik is a really good writer

See the ultimate problem is that she absolutely butchered the Temeraire series by turning Patrick O'Brian + Dragons fanfic into dragon romance 2: dragon babies; she did a marvelous job of turning an adult fantasy concept into YA fanfic, and the end result is like watching someone carve Carrera marble into into novelty lawn flamingos, it's just a sad waste

OTOH "what if Wicked, but Harry Potter, while . . . Communism?" Turns out to be a marvelous concept for a YA novel, and she doesn't gently caress it up by making it YA since it's already that. I could've read four more books in a row. Just good poo poo all through.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Exordia posted:

Nothing ate the Canadians yesterday.

Why are we discussing this book under SF instead of in the horror book thread? That's terrifying.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What are you, some kind of Canadian sympathizer?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Well if nothing ate them, what’s the problem???

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jimenez - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MPV7Z6Q/

The Martian by Andy Weir - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EMXBDMA/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok I went and read scholomance

I'm mad that it was really good

Naomi Novik is a really good fanfic writer and I don't know how to feel about that

also a valid if rude take on her fairy tale novels

Spinning Silver is probably my favorite thing she's written even though I'm a big Scholomance fan. General premise: what if we set up half a dozen vaguely eastern European fairy tales and have them all crash into each other.

Uprooted is the other one. Creepy-ish wizard keeping evil magic forest contained requires a tithe of one teenage girl every 10 years or so. It's not for sex reasons, he's just a goon who can't cook or socialize. not spoilering because you find out early and also it really gives the wrong impression if you just have the first sentence

Temeraire is a disappointment yes, but it's her first major work, who cares

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

PSA: this is a really good book.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I also don't think Temeraire is bad? Like the big issue is that she pulled the concept out way too far and the more we learn about the setting the more incoherent it becomes. The first book or two are perfectly functional, if not exceptional, and I think it would be remembered a lot more fondly if it had wrapped up there or in a much tighter trilogy rather than trying to show off how everywhere in the world but Europe was wildly divergent while Europe was somehow almost identical to the real world.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

anilEhilated posted:

PSA: this is a really good book.

Probably my favorite resd of last year. It owns.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Zore posted:

I also don't think Temeraire is bad? Like the big issue is that she pulled the concept out way too far and the more we learn about the setting the more incoherent it becomes. The first book or two are perfectly functional, if not exceptional, and I think it would be remembered a lot more fondly if it had wrapped up there or in a much tighter trilogy rather than trying to show off how everywhere in the world but Europe was wildly divergent while Europe was somehow almost identical to the real world.
The first book starts strong and ends not strong, and the second book starts pretty weak, and I don't know what happens after that.

She might be one of the most creative fantasy writers for how to start a book, but she cannot land them (spinning silver excluded)

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

pradmer posted:

I also just finished this. Saw it recommended here a lot so I bought it on sale last year. Wasn't really in the mood for whatever it was until now, and I wish I hadn't waited. The framing narrative is unique and a very cool way to impart information during the story. The story itself had a sort of a fairy tale feel to it. Maybe an epic poem in some places? I don't know anything about the background. It really felt like this was a story of historical events embellished over generations. I thought it dragged a bit about two thirds in but picked right back up for the last part of the story. Really enjoyable and it'll stick with me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

also a valid if rude take on her fairy tale novels

Spinning Silver is probably my favorite thing she's written even though I'm a big Scholomance fan. General premise: what if we set up half a dozen vaguely eastern European fairy tales and have them all crash into each other.

Uprooted is the other one. Creepy-ish wizard keeping evil magic forest contained requires a tithe of one teenage girl every 10 years or so. It's not for sex reasons, he's just a goon who can't cook or socialize. not spoilering because you find out early and also it really gives the wrong impression if you just have the first sentence

Also after their tour of duty, all the young women insist that it wasn't a sex thing, they just kept their lord's house for him, but none of the town folk believe them because you can't trust silly girls and clearly its a sex thing.

Goatse James Bond posted:

Temeraire is a disappointment yes, but it's her first major work, who cares

Temeraire was clearly her meal ticket for a while and you can't fault somebody for that.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I remember assuming Victory of Eagles was the last Temeraire novel when I finished it. It just seemed like a natural stopping point, I wasn't hooked into the online discussion of it or anything. I didn't even know about the fanfic thing until fairly recently.

I've liked pretty much everything Novik has put out, post-Temeraire, but I really liked the Scholomance trilogy. I put off reading them for a long time, but I bought my brother A Deadly Education for Christmas because I couldn't think of anything better. I borrowed it from him not much later and was worried he hadn't liked it when he turned it over so easily. But, by the time I had read it and returned, he had bought and read the two sequels already! I ended up reading those end to end in a single weekend, they're real page turners.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You do know she's one of the founders of Archive of Our Own, right?

I am blown away by how good Exordia is.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 23, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I did - but I only found out after I'd read everything of hers.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Tiny Timbs posted:

Empty Man was a crazy surprise. So good.

Is empty man a novel? All I get searching is a film and a graphic novel.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

pradmer posted:

i bounced off this. got about 2/3rds through, realised i actively disliked it, and returned it. couldn't tell you why though, but it's probably because my brain is small and unsophisticated and i only consume slop

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

Is empty man a novel? All I get searching is a film and a graphic novel.

It's a movie, very underrated imo.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Very good movie, can confirm. It completely went under the radar because it got lost in the shuffle when the studio who produced it got bought, after it wrapped but before it was released. Also imo it suffered from having a poster, name and trailer that made people think of The Bye Bye Man (awful) and Slenderman (feels wrong to bad mouth him here but the media it generated was generally bad)

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Did the Goons who did that Slenderman web series get royalties for those movies? How much of the lore was crowd sourced? I remember the thread as it was happening but not clearly remembering what came from where

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Whale Vomit posted:

Did the Goons who did that Slenderman web series get royalties for those movies? How much of the lore was crowd sourced? I remember the thread as it was happening but not clearly remembering what came from where

I don't think so, they didn't come up with it, it was Eric Knudsen (a different Goon) who made Slenderman and holds the copyright, but it looks like the adaptation rights might be in limbo right now because they got passed around between companies and the one that had them last folded or something.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Super underrated. It was based on a comic series but when I tried to track it down after watching the film, I found a ton of reviews pointing out that they've got practically nothing to do with the movie.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I like big butts and I cannot die.
Four thousand mortal years have I
Watched the ends of men who end, and tried and wept and tried
To chase the thing that glides—to go outside

Born Merneith by the Nile, in a land of rear end beyond denial
We packed our dead with natron
Our pharaohs and our matrons
Oh, reader - pity the mummy
The flattened dummy

I should have died in Akhmim
Where the fever sent me an awful dream
Oh, you who fear to perish
The truth is more nightmarish—
We can't die, we cannot die
Life is a noose you can't untie!
But each of us alone
Watches others go to bone
We live, while
All the people who beguile
The eyes of a callipgyphile
Go to their exile
Die!

The mind once made can't fade to black
It's a quantum fact
So, reader! (no—)
Reader! (no—!)
Do you understand you're trapped?
You'll watch me finally die — (it can't be)
Finally die! (it can't be!)
But in another world I'll go on —
Life is a trap!

Death is all around us but we cannot end!
Death is all around us but we cannot end!

(So please—while our timelines are still married—
Before you see me burn, and I see you ferried—
would you turn around and bend?)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
:popeye: :staredog: :popeye:

... when's the album? I'd listen to that album.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5L7H71/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Naomi Novik's schtick is very much about putting an interesting spin or inversion on common tropes, and she does it really well. But the more she tries to stretch that out the thinner the concept gets and the more the narrative has to be written in service of the concept, rather than the other way around.

That's why imo her best novels are her standalone ones.

However she's also just a really engaging writer so it's not like her weaker stuff is bad. I still read all the temeraire books. It's definitely a weird series. They reminded me of comic books or serialised novellas, but instead each one is a full length novel.

The biggest crime they commit is spending 8 or 9 or however many books building towards this big climax and then the big final showdown all happens off screen. Like she literally skips the final battle with Napoleon where they defeat him. She just documents their preparations and does a few scenes where the characters are taking breaks from fighting, and then skips to the end. It's genuinely one of the least satisfying conclusions to a series that I've read.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That got me a little pumped for Exordia 2

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Declare is so fuckin good

Enough of you recommended this so I picked it up and didn’t out it down until I finished it a few days later. Holy poo poo that was good; are all the rest of his books like this?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm reading My Brother's Keeper at the moment, Tim Powers' latest. It's about the Brontë siblings and werewolf hunters, it's... Not as good as Declare, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty fun if you like Regency literature and/or werewolves.

As far as his other books go, I think Last Call is as good as Declare, and I go back and forth on which I like more.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

I read this and enjoyed it.

It’s a bit weird there’s a prequel novella that I didn’t enjoy. They’re both the same premise (mermaids are real) but the novella fell flat for me. I guess as a duo they’re fine?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

occluded posted:

Enough of you recommended this so I picked it up and didn’t out it down until I finished it a few days later. Holy poo poo that was good; are all the rest of his books like this?

No.

His early stuff is good (The Stress of Her Regard, On Stranger Tides, and The Anubis Gates (for completely different reasons)), but Declare is a huge outlier in his modern decline. At some point he completely lost the ability to sustain willing suspension of disbelief and instead of writing stories about people discovering that the world is filled with unseen mysterious dangerous esoterica, he started writing stories about people doing a bunch of arbitrary nonsensical bullshit.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

occluded posted:

Last Call, Stranger Tides, Anubis Gates, and Stress of Her Regard are all great, agree that Last Call is probably closest to Declare. You’ve got some great books ahead.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mewse posted:

I read this and enjoyed it.

It’s a bit weird there’s a prequel novella that I didn’t enjoy. They’re both the same premise (mermaids are real) but the novella fell flat for me. I guess as a duo they’re fine?

I found Into the Drowning Deep engaging but ultimately frustrating. Various characters make a lot of bad choices, and while any individual instance can be explained by ignorance, greed, or other commonplace human failings, the story requires a lot of people to make bad choices all at once, and eventually it interfered with my suspension of disbelief.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

occluded posted:

I particularly like The Drawing of the Dark and On Stranger Tides*. Do NOT miss The Anubis Gates. Not at all like Declare, but very good weird fantasy.

* The Disney movie has nothing in common except the title and the puppeted pirates.

e: Stress of Her Regard is good iff you are extremely familiar with the Romantic poets and wish to become more so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

if you like tim powers and RPGs, the Nights Dark Agents campaign 'the zalozhny quartet' by (the wonderful) Gareth hanrahan covers some similar ground.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I like big butts and I cannot die.
:neckbeard: Love it!

Still haven't forgotten the banger you posted here in 2022 about circumcision, by the way. Keep up the great work.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

pradmer posted:

Not a fan, was predictable and not that interesting, only made it about halfway.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Where to start with "New Weird"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just read The Scar by Mieville.