Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

every time i come in this coffee shop they play maps by the yeah yeah yeahs :wtf: please stop making cake time SAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ruby Gloom posted:

every time i come in this coffee shop they play maps by the yeah yeah yeahs :wtf: please stop making cake time SAD

So its like triggered by your entrance? AI's getting too twisted if so.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I finished playing the first bit* of FF7:Rebirth again and the game is still only halfway downloaded what a chonker

E: *The first bit of the game that came out as a demo awhile ago

Revins fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 23, 2024

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

So its like triggered by your entrance? AI's getting too twisted if so.

i think they are like "y'all look too happy with your cake...."

also after saying i had never heard a ghost song, i got in the car and the radio immediately started playing one :dogstare:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

redshirt posted:

What defines "Metal"? For example, where is the line between "Hard Rock" and "Metal"?

As I understand it, "hard rock" is a term that came along or became popular much later (In the mid-80s?) and has retroactively been used to categorize a bunch of bands. "Metal" in general has numerous subgenres now (Death metal, thrash, power metal, etc.) and a lot of "hard rock" bands were just labelled as "metal" early on. For example, Van Halen was considered a 'heavy metal' band when their debut came out in 1978, but would be more accurately called "hard rock" today (And much of the 80s 'glam' or 'hair' metal, particularly the bands from L.A., were basically copying Van Halen), but there is a lot of blurring of the lines between them. Another is Led Zeppelin, who are considered "hard rock", but I don't think that term was heavily used when they were actually releasing albums. "Heavy metal" was, and they outright rejected that term, so they were often just called "rock".

The main differences are usually lyrical and tone. "Metal", and particularly "heavy metal" are usually darker or have a more serious edge to them, particularly in the lyrics. For example, look at just about anything by Black Sabbath in the 70s, where you've often got songs about nuclear war and drug addiction and angry revenge (Paranoid, War Pigs, Children of the Grave). Iron Maiden is quintessential heavy metal, and most of their songs are based on classical literature or old movies or historical events (Aces High, The Trooper, Powerslave). The contrast is something like Van Halen, who still has heavy guitar tones, but lyrically most of the songs are usually upbeat subjects, stuff about women and parties and whatnot (Beautiful Girls, Women in Love, Everybody Wants Some), and often included pop-like harmonies and backing vocals. Van Halen wouldn't be a band doing a song about the battle of Britain, just as Iron Maiden wouldn't do something like Dance The Night Away and Black Sabbath wasn't going to ever do harmonies like you find on Jamie's Cryin' or Feel Your Love Tonight.

There are, of course, exceptions to everything. Iron Maiden has a slew of sillier songs, but they're contained to B-sides and outtakes and aren't part of their main album output. Van Halen absolutely has some darker and very heavier songs (Atomic Punk and Mean Street being the first to come to mind), but those are exceptions and still don't get quite as dark and/or serious subjects as some 'traditional' heavy metal works. A lot of bands evolve or develop over time, so genres may change from album to album or even song to song.

And all of this is before we get into the insane :can: that can be "progressive" rock, which mixes in with all of this.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Ruby Gloom posted:

i think they are like "y'all look too happy with your cake...."

also after saying i had never heard a ghost song, i got in the car and the radio immediately started playing one :dogstare:

:tinfoil::ghost:

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i heard this cover of run to the hills today and i am undecided, it's good musically but the singer sounds very polite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsKyRgIQj90

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Run to the Hills is a song where you absolutely need the crowd going along with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2biHMYbV3Qg

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Revins posted:

I finished playing the first bit* of FF7:Rebirth again and the game is still only halfway downloaded what a chonker

E: *The first bit of the game that came out as a demo awhile ago

Did you get to the Piano minigame yet?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

fartknocker posted:

Run to the Hills is a song where you absolutely need the crowd going along with it

Bitchin

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

fartknocker posted:

As I understand it, "hard rock" is a term that came along or became popular much later (In the mid-80s?) and has retroactively been used to categorize a bunch of bands. "Metal" in general has numerous subgenres now (Death metal, thrash, power metal, etc.) and a lot of "hard rock" bands were just labelled as "metal" early on. For example, Van Halen was considered a 'heavy metal' band when their debut came out in 1978, but would be more accurately called "hard rock" today (And much of the 80s 'glam' or 'hair' metal, particularly the bands from L.A., were basically copying Van Halen), but there is a lot of blurring of the lines between them. Another is Led Zeppelin, who are considered "hard rock", but I don't think that term was heavily used when they were actually releasing albums. "Heavy metal" was, and they outright rejected that term, so they were often just called "rock".

The main differences are usually lyrical and tone. "Metal", and particularly "heavy metal" are usually darker or have a more serious edge to them, particularly in the lyrics. For example, look at just about anything by Black Sabbath in the 70s, where you've often got songs about nuclear war and drug addiction and angry revenge (Paranoid, War Pigs, Children of the Grave). Iron Maiden is quintessential heavy metal, and most of their songs are based on classical literature or old movies or historical events (Aces High, The Trooper, Powerslave). The contrast is something like Van Halen, who still has heavy guitar tones, but lyrically most of the songs are usually upbeat subjects, stuff about women and parties and whatnot (Beautiful Girls, Women in Love, Everybody Wants Some), and often included pop-like harmonies and backing vocals. Van Halen wouldn't be a band doing a song about the battle of Britain, just as Iron Maiden wouldn't do something like Dance The Night Away and Black Sabbath wasn't going to ever do harmonies like you find on Jamie's Cryin' or Feel Your Love Tonight.

There are, of course, exceptions to everything. Iron Maiden has a slew of sillier songs, but they're contained to B-sides and outtakes and aren't part of their main album output. Van Halen absolutely has some darker and very heavier songs (Atomic Punk and Mean Street being the first to come to mind), but those are exceptions and still don't get quite as dark and/or serious subjects as some 'traditional' heavy metal works. A lot of bands evolve or develop over time, so genres may change from album to album or even song to song.

And all of this is before we get into the insane :can: that can be "progressive" rock, which mixes in with all of this.

Thank you for this response. :)

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Ruby Gloom posted:

i heard this cover of run to the hills today and i am undecided, it's good musically but the singer sounds very polite

Good attempt but NOPE

fartknocker posted:

loving dope AF goddamn I love Maiden

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

sound on :3:

https://i.imgur.com/x5feTfv.mp4

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

bagmonkey posted:

gm fam! today is lady bagmo bday brunch (her bday is this weekend)

FYI here is a card for Lady Bagmo sorry but I assume she looks like you because that's all I have to go with. Also i couldn't fit all the animals because i am terrible at this but happy birthday anyway.

Also also anyone can feel free to sign/modify

Kisses

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

FYI here is a card for Lady Bagmo sorry but I assume she looks like you because that's all I have to go with. Also i couldn't fit all the animals because i am terrible at this but happy birthday anyway.

Kisses

i concur, happy birthday lady bagmo, i hope you have many delicious birthday beers!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Kisses

*adjusts tie

Is Lady Bagmo single?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Did you get to the Piano minigame yet?

Man I got to that part and was so disappointed you don't start with any sheet music in the full release

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

um did y'all know it's national puppy day :swoon:

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Ruby Gloom posted:

I'll take two, tia

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ruby Gloom posted:

This is Tiny, part husky and part... Something. We call that a "Northern Special"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

This is Tiny, part husky and part... Something. We call that a "Northern Special"

Hello Tiny

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Ruby Gloom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsKyRgIQj90

The Cardigans covered "Iron Man" originally by Edit: Black Sabbath. I think it is worth a listen. I've been trying to figure out what cartoon is playing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gQSPMHPm0

Apologies, thank you for the correction!

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 24, 2024

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I went to Target to get more dark chocolate mini eggs but they are sold out :qq:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Anderson Koopa posted:

The Cardigans covered "Iron Man" originally by Iron Maiden. I think it is worth a listen. I've been trying to figure out what cartoon is playing in the background.

Hannah Barbara's The Man in the Iron Mask

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Hannah Barbara's The Man in the Iron Mask

Thank you for that. I was having zero luck finding out using Google.

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

tiny i love you and if you need me to unleash some sort of deadly plague or w/e that's cool i'll do it

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I went to Target to get more dark chocolate mini eggs but they are sold out :qq:

We believe in you Dorkus, we'll all get through this together

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Anderson Koopa posted:

The Cardigans covered "Iron Man" originally by Iron Maiden. I think it is worth a listen. I've been trying to figure out what cartoon is playing in the background.

:goonsay: Iron Man is by Black Sabbath!

Also, the best version of it is the Ozzy version with Randy Rhodes, who is just insane on that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwR57BT9E3M

That song segues directly into another old Black Sabbath song, and again, the live version with Randy throwing in all sorts of extra stuff is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttdQLrxCX0

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

fartknocker posted:

:goonsay: Iron Man is by Black Sabbath!

Also, the best version of it is the Ozzy version with Randy Rhodes, who is just insane on that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwR57BT9E3M

That song segues directly into another old Black Sabbath song, and again, the live version with Randy throwing in all sorts of extra stuff is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ttdQLrxCX0

Thank you for the correction!

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

DorkusMalorkus posted:

dorkus we have orange flavoured mini eggs this year in the uk

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ruby Gloom posted:

dorkus we have orange flavoured mini eggs this year in the uk

gently caress those sound delicious

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Drives in the left lane as long as possible before merging over.....

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Do threads with a page count above a certain number break the servers?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

welcome back and congratulations on making the first post of your 45th page of posts

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Anderson Koopa posted:

Do threads with a page count above a certain number break the servers?

4999 pages is the max

TIP posted:

welcome back and congratulations on making the first post of your 45th page of posts

hello tip! thank you

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

4999 pages is the max

hello tip! thank you

Will you report back to us news in the UK thread?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
this thread will last 10000 pages

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FOR 50000 PAGES WE HAVE CHATTED AND SHARED CUTE ANIMAL PICS

FOR 50000 PAGES MORE WE SHALL DO THE SAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Look, some day, Skynet will unleash the cleansing nuclear fire upon this world and Judgement Day shall be at hand... and we'll all be here, posting on page 10191, laughing at glitterdick and taking solace in Mila and Ash and Penny pics, watching as ILBSM posts his balls again, threatening action against the Friday thread, and so on