Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

Wow Tony sounds fuckin weird in the first season.

https://i.imgur.com/bGzbUqB.mp4

This was my favorite scene maybe in the whole show. Pauly's facial expressions are wonderful.

Walnuts is the best character on the show, no doubt about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso

And pretty much everybody is explicitly an idiot. I think at some point David Chase decided to lean into it because people were looking up to Tony. Li'l Carmine gets most of the weird malaprops, but they're all saying incredibly stupid poo poo constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

that software that comes with Windows, Clit Chimp,

It's called what

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's called what

Is this the followup to Trunk Monkey I heard so much about?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just the trailer so far, but Inside Out 2: we see the new emotions, and we see Anxiety asking and trying to take the console and Joy pretty much pushes her away to do what she wants. Joy taking control of the emotion/mind panel to make Riley be super loving perky and embarrassing herself, which was kinda the point of the first movie: Joy is in charge still.

So we're supposed to be upset that the initial emotions are locked up when Joy, again, loving started it all.

the Sar Chasm looks kinda cute but I have a hard time being excited for more Joy trying to run poo poo into the ground again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I saw Clit Chimp opening for Cannibal Corpse in 2006.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More of a general thing but it is really annoying when adaptations act like they're embarrassed of the thing they're adapting and call out parts of it as being dumb. Like superhero movies mocking old costumes or hero names.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

muscles like this! posted:

More of a general thing but it is really annoying when adaptations act like they're embarrassed of the thing they're adapting and call out parts of it as being dumb. Like superhero movies mocking old costumes or hero names.

Ah yeah the Steven Moffat thing where he can't do a Dracula update without mocking Dracula or a Sherlock update without mocking the concept of mysteries. Feels like he never matured enough to just admit what he likes and feels the need to impress some imaginary cool audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also the first X-Men movie where they make fun of the classic costumes by having a character ask Wolverine if he would prefer yellow spandex. Which is ironic because those 2000 era tacticool leather outfits probably aged worse than if they had just worn the classic costumes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
You know Wade will make fun of Logan for wearing the yellow & blue uniform in Deadpool & Wolverine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
At least that's in character, Reynolds Deadpool makes fun of everyone he meets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another instance is how in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (which is 8 years into Momoa playing the character) they still feel the need to make fun of Aquaman's ability to talk to fish. It might have been a relevant criticism back in the 90s when the character was kind of whatever but he's had so many revamps since then that it just feels lazy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Another instance is how in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (which is 8 years into Momoa playing the character) they still feel the need to make fun of Aquaman's ability to talk to fish. It might have been a relevant criticism back in the 90s when the character was kind of whatever but he's had so many revamps since then that it just feels lazy.

Until the movie was announced I legitimately thought Aquaman wasn't a real comic book hero, but just a joke about an imaginary one. In my entire life I've never heard Aquaman mentioned outside of how silly he is because he talks to fish. Even after the movies, he still is never mentioned unless it's to make fun of him.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think I've complained before about MCU Dr. Strange's personality basically being Magic Tony Stark. Not that I was ever a big fan of Strange in the comics, but it just hits differently whenever you see him in another comic shouting "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Keromaru5 posted:

I think I've complained before about MCU Dr. Strange's personality basically being Magic Tony Stark. Not that I was ever a big fan of Strange in the comics, but it just hits differently whenever you see him in another comic shouting "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!"

He should have been more like Dr. Orpheus. You know the character that's based on Dr strange

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Making Strange into magic Tony was a huge mistake. Cumberbatch should have played him more like his character on Cabin Pressure, a weirdo obsessive with an inferiority complex, it would have been way more interesting.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Armacham posted:

He should have been more like Dr. Orpheus. You know the character that's based on Dr strange

His musical stinger gets me every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkWD50Pz7sk&t=30s

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I've only known Aquaman in two flavors.

badass JLU one, and the super ham one in Brave and Bold

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Armacham posted:

My number 1 wish for Dr. Doom in the MCU is that he pretty much talks like this all the time without a trace of irony, with maybe a little Phantom Limb mixed in.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Keromaru5 posted:

My number 1 wish for Dr. Doom in the MCU is that he pretty much talks like this all the time without a trace of irony, with maybe a little Phantom Limb mixed in.

You mean Baron Von UnterBeit

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Timeline:

•Aquaman is created, and is no one's favourite really.
•Quippy self-referential bullshit becomes popular.
•'The Boys' endlessly points out how utterly stupid 'talks to fish' is as a power and makes their Aquaman-analog a pathetic servile rapist Scientologist.
•Aquaman becomes relevant to the other Cinematic Universe. Coincidentally, Mr Quippy self-referential bullshit himself, Joss Whedon, ends up directing a movie with Aquaman in it.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
https://youtu.be/zaN8RMh_Aps?si=iCQZQyigUxB_aPhn

I always enjoyed this iteration on the adult swim bumpers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt the comic writers kinda try to turn the fish talk thing into a hyper specific form of telepathy? one that also works on humans/any animal that has evolutionary links to fish, so basically most life and he could give humans seizures but chooses not to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

didnt the comic writers kinda try to turn the fish talk thing into a hyper specific form of telepathy? one that also works on humans/any animal that has evolutionary links to fish, so basically most life and he could give humans seizures but chooses not to.

Probably, there have been numerous attempts to salvage Aquaman into a "No really, he is totally badass you guys!" kind of character. So far, the Momoa version from his first standalone movie was the best attempt, but it sounds like the second movie poo poo the bed again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Grendels Dad posted:

Probably, there have been numerous attempts to salvage Aquaman into a "No really, he is totally badass you guys!" kind of character. So far, the Momoa version from his first standalone movie was the best attempt, but it sounds like the second movie poo poo the bed again.

The Justice League cartoon fun the Aughts did a decent job, too. It had a scene (possibly originally from a comic?) where Aquaman has to cut off his hand to save himself and his son from... something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think it was Grant Morrison that came up with "Aquaman can futz with the bits of your brain that originate from before you evolved out of the sea" thing during his JLA run. I mean, why not, it's a fun idea and it's nice when a character that was maybe a bit of a joke gets a new spin on them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jenna Moran posted:

Aquaman and the Wonder Twins look after the departing Boy Wonder with heavy hearts. “The world comes to an end,” says Atlantis’ King. “Not late, but soon; and what part shall I play in the end of it?”

Zan looks down. “Have you no greater art? Then make the best of it; your fish telepathy is the weapon in our hands.”

Aquaman goes to the console and brings up images of world events. “Greater art?” He laughs. “I can imagine none. There are things in the deep you know not of, that answer to my call; and powers I may wield through them that none have seen before.”

quote:

“Your sword is swift, giant, and it burns with a terrible heat; but my fish telepathy shall defeat you.” Golden circles fly from Aquaman’s head, and across the world, all that lives in water goes still. His mind fills with a terrible understanding; buoyed on the primitive thoughts of ten billion billion forms of life, his thoughts transcend the mortal coil, and he sees the world with new eyes.

“I know you,” he says to Surt, in a language ancient before the world was born.

Surt inclines his head, mocking. “Before this battle,” he says, “I knew of your legendary attainment; and so for generations, I have spoken to the fish. This is the measure of my triumph: the anglers of the deep, in exchange for my light, have sold your fish telepathy; and when I snap my fingers, …”

He snaps his fingers. The communion of the ocean dissolves; the terrible sword of Aquaman’s intellect breaks; and he stands, puny and unarmed, before the most terrible of beasts.

“I knew it would be so,” murmurs Aquaman, “and I have seen my death; but I have also seen beyond it. I am content.”

The sword of Surt cuts through him, and the King of Atlantis falls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In 1994 Aquaman got a revamp by Peter David which gave him a new outfit, a beard and he loses a hand which he replaces with a harpoon. This version lasted quite a while and is the one that was in Morrison's Justice League, the cartoons and informed Momoa's version of the character.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Justice League cartoon also helpfully remembered that "talking to fish" can include things like sharks, giant octopi, and undersea Lovecraftian abominations.

That said, DC really just needs to stop getting so skittish about even the vaguest resemblance to camp. The entire planet just united in mourning for the creator of multiple characters named after food or underwear; I think we can accept Superman being a little goofy sometimes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Aquaman had a whole rant early on in the New 52 title about being basically bulletproof and having near-Superman strength due to the whole "being able to survive massive pressure differentials" thing but all anyone thinks is "he talks to fish lol"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

FFT posted:

Aquaman had a whole rant early on in the New 52 title about being basically bulletproof and having near-Superman strength due to the whole "being able to survive massive pressure differentials" thing but all anyone thinks is "he talks to fish lol"

There is not much to be done there. Anything they add to the character will look like a shiny new sports car on a middle-aged suburbanite. Just over-compensating for things everybody knows.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FFT posted:

I mean he's right, he's not just the "he talks to fish" guy, he's also the "can't invite him into the house cos he always leaves the carpets soaking wet guy." So yeah two abilities not one.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Justice League cartoon fun the Aughts did a decent job, too. It had a scene (possibly originally from a comic?) where Aquaman has to cut off his hand to save himself and his son from... something.

the JL cartoon was saving himself and his infant son. they were chained to a slab of rock that was sliding into a lava fissure. an under water lava fissure.

Also I think the JLU cartoon had a weird but cool twist on the Super Friends(secretly made by Cadmus), and the hydrokinesis twin tried to blast Aqua and he no-sold it before just slap KOing him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best truest version of Aquaman is The Deep

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

oldpainless posted:

The best truest version of Aquaman is Namor

Fixed if we want to keep the royalty angle and not make him a total joke. Namor can trade punches with some real heavy-hitters and will steal your woman while ruling the seas.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Aquaman just needed to stop being a hero everyone mocks and work with actual fish. For $500 an hour he will come to your wholesaler location and tell you what fish are sick, what fish are ready to breed, what fish to pair up, etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does Aquaman talk to whales? Beavers? What about those fish that walk between puddles? Aquatic insects? Barnacles?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Grendels Dad posted:

Fixed if we want to keep the royalty angle and not make him a total joke. Namor can trade punches with some real heavy-hitters and will steal your woman while ruling the seas.

The difference is that Namor has an actual distinct personality (arrogant dickhead) so he doesn't get pigeonholed as the fish guy. Aquaman doesn't, except for the BaTB cartoon which made him a huge ham, and the movies which made him Thor.

mycot has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Mar 24, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mycot posted:

The difference is that Namor has an actual distinct personality so he doesn't get pigeonholed as the fish guy. Aquaman doesn't, except for the BaTB cartoon which made him a huge ham, and the movies which made him Thor.

I mean fish mostly don't have much of a personality so this makes sense.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Just lean into the badass undersea hammy royal insane Brave and the Bold version. It works no matter what. poo poo just have John DiMaggio play him live action, it still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Namor was a real dumb antagonist choice for the explicitly landlocked Wakandans.