Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, the whole place was lit up, but not like… grotesquely so. The lights they used were soft enough to not drown you. It all felt very intimate, very “postcard” and Hallmark channel, if that makes any sense.

The ski trails also had blue lights posted every so often so you could presumably stay on trail even in driving snow.

My sister took the pictures of the outside and inside of the yurt. She clearly paid attention in photography class, because nothing I do comes out like that. I might need to invite her to more trips just to get some high class pictures to post.

Also, this little bastard made it incredibly hard to write and format. I wasn’t paying attention to him, ya know? So that means I had to have claws in my shoulder while I typed.

Hey, I have that keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

That may have been your best write up so far. But I kept waiting for the part where you all were getting set to go to the ER after hitting the luge. Sadly, that was not to be.

I can only imagine it is not what I am picturing. They don't actually send someone with no luge experience down an iced track with the potential to reach speed nearing 50 mph, do they?

And is is really cool that the Sports Park has a big adaptive activities section. I am a big believer that EVERYONE should have the chance to wreck themselves in the outdoors. This coming from a guy who just broke his hip on a backpacking trip.

Eh, they pretty much give you a 5-10 minute spiel and give you a sled. It's not a super complicated deal, you pretty much twist one way or another to steer and the sled wants to stay in the middle as long as you are in neutral. That being said, you can get pretty banged up if oversteer and pinball off the walls. I did that a bit on my 2nd to last run because I basically launched into the wall on the first turn, haha. I didn't get too many pictures this year but here are a few. I might be able to scrounge up some videos from last year.

Course map:

We start at the public start. The top start is basically decommissioned which you can kind of see in the images below. I think they said you generally hit somewhere in the mid 20s mph wise depending on the conditions. This year it was super cold and it felt like we were going really fast but the timing sensors were not functioning due to the fresh snow or something.

Other Pics:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s a luge run in Negaunee (in the UP, not Negaunee Lake) that has a public luge run but I think you’ve gotta bring your own sled and gear. I never knew anybody who just showed up to luge without their own kit.

I loved insanely dangerous sledding as a kid, so it would make sense for me to finally die on an icy hill as an adult.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Dr. Lunchables posted:

There’s a luge run in Negaunee (in the UP, not Negaunee Lake) that has a public luge run but I think you’ve gotta bring your own sled and gear. I never knew anybody who just showed up to luge without their own kit.

I loved insanely dangerous sledding as a kid, so it would make sense for me to finally die on an icy hill as an adult.

OK, I know this is a bit of a derail, but I had never known there was such a thing as natural luge. I too grew up in the Midwest doing insanely dangerous sledding. Our family even had a 6 man toboggan that we took to the facilities in Cook County, Illinois. I think all of them are closed down now. As an adult with kids of my own, I now look back and wonder what the hell my parents were thinking. Loading 700 pounds of humans on a sled and then dropping us down a huge rear end iced lined chute. Good times.

So now I am making plans to spend late January to early March of 2025 in Negaunee so I can learn and then master the sport in the course of 6 weeks. Hopefully I will be able to qualify for the 2025 worlds, as they are only held once every 2 years. Time to goonswarm this! Surely there is one among us who would prove to be a natural and Disney can make a movie about it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Boy, I may have had a few cocktails when I crafted that sentence.

But if we’re going up there, we might as well stop by Suicide Hill to do some ski jumping. I learned how as a kid, but haven’t done it in roughly three decades. I’m sure it’s just like riding a bike, right?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It's (just) over the border in Indiana but Pokagon has a refrigerated track with 4 person sleds: https://www.in.gov/dnr/state-parks/parks-lakes/pokagon-state-parktrine-state-recreation-area/toboggan-run-at-pokagon-state-park/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Proud Lake this Friday, just in time for the temperatures to drop. Michigan in springtime!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Just remembered I haven’t written up Proud Lake yet. :doh:

New write up this Saturday! About a place we went camping at the beginning of April!

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Going to sleepy hollow and sleeper state park in 2 weeks. So excited! So much fun camping in this state. Pick wherever and go on an adventure

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You picked two absolute bangers right there. Get in the water at Sleeper (or hop up to Port Crescent to get the warmer water from the river mouth) it oughta be warm enough

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Well all thanks to your recs! Weve been to several around the state but theres always somewhere new to camp 😉 havent been to lansing or the thumb so ive been geeking out for the past week. Thanks for the thread!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
if I had to choose between Sleeper and Lakeport, which one should I go with? Gonna do a one nighter middle of next week, either Tuesday or Wednesday night. Weather is gonna be rear end regardless so leaning Lakeport since I could explore Port Huron

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d pick Lakeport too, just for the insane amount of history in Port Huron. The only real bummer is you get sun rises instead of sunsets (depending on time of year you might not get those at sleeper either), and the water will likely be colder.

If I were just staying in the park and not going to local communities I’d pick Sleeper, because of the dark sky preserve and much more trail coverage.

Since you’re not locked to the park I support your initial decision.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Yankee in a few weeks!

I'm pretty hyped

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In early April 2024 we visited Proud Lake State Recreation Area, and because it’s still technically May I’m not waaaaay too late in writing this. Ignore previous posts where I said I’d have this written up a week ago, that was someone else who had an incredibly optimistic view of what to do with their free time.

We had planned a one-nighter here due to the season and because it’s so goddamn close. It’s only forty minutes away from our home base, so we meandered down Grand River Ave instead of mucking about on the highway. Our plan was to do it easy: pull in on Friday, make some freeze dried meals for dinner, then pack up early Saturday and go hike the trails. The Mrs. and I had quit drinking for the month of April for S&Gs, so we didn’t really have an excuse for oversleeping. Well, we didn’t, but our site was next to the worst family on earth, who were up at 7 in the loving AM yelling at their kids and packing incredibly loudly. The snow falling was another factor. When the Jeep’s battery barely turned the car over, we decided to call it completely. We went to a local Autozone, got a new battery, then drove home to swap it and accept that we had been defeated. The Wixom/Milford area had broken us.

Let’s break down a few notable things here:
  1. The Worst Family - I’ve mentioned before that we’ve camped next to people who only communicate by screaming. That was exaggeration and hyperbole for comedic effect. When I say that here, it is no exaggeration. The two women (presumably one mother and one grandmother) could not speak in a normal volume, they were always shrill and yelling. The children (one boy one girl, both roughly 6-10) only whined and screamed, snitching on each other for whatever petty garbage that would make their matrons yell at the other. They cried and ran amuck through other people’s camp sites.
    In the morning, they got up at around 6:30 and commenced whatever argument they hadn’t finished last night. They yelled as they packed and packed as they yelled. After they left (around 7:30) a man from Alabama walked through their now-empty site and had a conversation on his cell phone that I recall quite vividly.
    “It’s like god drat lady, you can yell at your kids all you want but its seven in the morning! poo poo!
    I miss the South man, I gotta get out of here.”

We sat in our tent having coffee and nodded in silent agreement.

2. The Weather - It was cold, but not wood stove cold, so we brought a Buddy heater. It was fine for us, but I’d imagine the other tent campers were a bit nippy. Still, it didnt make us want to trek the rec area on little sleep.

3. The Battery - This was the real nail in the coffin for us. I knew it was getting weak back in Muskegon where a cold snap made turnover fail on first attempt, then sluggish on the second successful attempt. It was something I meant to replace eventually, but since it hadn’t caused any real issues in the meantime, I promptly forgot about it like a good husband.

In this case, however, it meant that we couldn’t turn the car off and expect it to re-start, so our idea of driving to the trailhead was right out. A bummer, but given our proximity to Proud Lake, we decided to write it off and plan to come back.

We did meet a nice guy camped behind us from Oklahoma with a new trailer that we talked about for a few minutes. He was traveling through and working construction, staying at campgrounds as he went to save cash. Really nice guy, and a great camp neighbor to have.

Alright, lets get to our truncated review.

• Sites – The whole park is surprisingly small, only 130 sites all told. They’re all modern with grass pads, much longer than they are wide. The whole situation is split into two unequal lobes by the main entrance path that leads straight down to the boat launch, but is divided much more equally by distance from the main bathroom facility.

Our site, number 53, had a slight slope to it, but nothing awful. A lot of sites did, actually, and site 22 actually had about a ten foot rise on the back side, just a giant fuckin berm where you’re meant to be camping

The picture does it no justice

Stick to the sites closest to the lake and you should be fine.

Site 34, for example, is one of the best in the campground

• Facilities – The park had clearly gotten a full remodel of their facilities and was one of the nicest we’ve seen. Full access showers (with vents!), clean, updated bathrooms, plenty of parking outside. Top notch, no doubt. I did try to taste the water, but the drinking spigots hadn’t been turned on for the season yet. :negative:

Don’t judge me for having more pictures of the bathrooms than anything else in the park. I’m normal, I swear!

• Amenities – Since we didn’t get to do much here, I reserve the right to make a future post to fill this in. There are trails, but they’re not located near the campground.

There are some nice sitting areas looking out onto the lake right behind the bathrooms (I’m normal!)

Proud Lake is one of those “kind of a river” type of lakes that are actually kind of rare in Michigan but prominent throughout the rest of the country. It’s part of the Huron River system and seems like it would be a decent spot for fishing and bird hunting.

• The Area – Boy this place is easy to get to. Take 96 to Wixom, go north on Wixom Road, turn right when it ends. Easy peasy.

Wixom is right there and is a regular Metro city, so it’s got all the stuff you’d ever wanna find. For example, if you need a new battery for your Jeep, it’s only about a ten minute ride from the campground.

• Warnings – Well, the campground is quite small, so you can kind of hear everybody. There is plenty of cell service and it’s right next to a populated area, so no troubles there. I’d imagine the mosquitoes are an annoyance when in season, but I’ll leave that up to Gravitee, who lives in the area, to confirm or deny.

• Who is it best for? – Loud, angry families who suck, apparently. Also transient Southern workers just looking for (and failing to find) a quiet place to sleep. My heart goes out to them.

Since we had such a minor experience at the campground, I am also reserving this section for our return trip, since we didn’t get to experience much besides the bathrooms. (Normal!)

And with that I shamefully deliver our one night at Proud Lake. As a wise man once said,
“God drat lady, you can yell at your kids all you want but its seven in the morning! poo poo!”

Proud Lake, you deserved better.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I was out on the screen porch using an iPad to write that. First time using an iPad, and it wasn’t the worst. Maybe on-site reviews are a possibility in the future.

There are downsides to remote work, however:

The distractions are much more real.

Also, how you guys liking the cottonwood? I think the pond oughta be skateable in a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

[*]Warnings – Well, the campground is quite small, so you can kind of hear everybody. There is plenty of cell service and it’s right next to a populated area, so no troubles there. I’d imagine the mosquitoes are an annoyance when in season, but I’ll leave that up to Gravitee, who lives in the area, to confirm or deny.

Proud Lake, you deserved better.

Can confirm, the mosquitos suck, especially back in the bush where there isn't as much wind.

Excellent write up as usual and here is my Proud Lake *Moment of Zen*