Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

There was more under those spotlighted articles

Yeah but that sounds like she is acknowledging what has been reported, no accusations of her own

I am just accusing the news site of trying to gin a nothing statement from Ronda up into a big slam on Vince when it isn’t really, not saying that she did or did not see anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it’s somewhat notable when anyone speaks out against them even if it’s not introducing any new information, especially when it’s someone like Rousey who has said many horrible and lovely things in the past. It’s nice to see even a broken clock sees them for who they are and can apparently confirm that it’s even still a gross boys club from her own short run there.

loose goose
Oct 29, 2012

once i possess what i desire the millenium rod will mean absolutely nothing to me

rotinaj posted:

Yeah but that sounds like she is acknowledging what has been reported, no accusations of her own

I am just accusing the news site of trying to gin a nothing statement from Ronda up into a big slam on Vince when it isn’t really, not saying that she did or did not see anything

Ronda Rousey posted:

“WWE bills itself as a sports entertainment organization, and just like in the mainstream entertainment industry, there was by all accounts a casting couch culture where men backstage in powerful positions pressured female talent for sexual favors in return for airtime.”’

I think there's an important distinction here between acknowledging the reports and what she's saying here. While she hasn't pointed a finger or named names, she is a primary source who worked there and surely is saying this because she heard or saw something during her time there, no?

Additionally, I saw someone on Rddit post a fuller excerpt to provide context to the quote from her book. The last sentence stands out to me:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

loose goose posted:

I think there's an important distinction here between acknowledging the reports and what she's saying here. While she hasn't pointed a finger or named names, she is a primary source who worked there and surely is saying this because she heard or saw something during her time there, no?

Eh, that “by all accounts” could be doing a whole fuckin’ lot of heavy lifting. There is nothing directly from Ronda even insinuating that she isn’t speaking of the publicly known stuff. I am not saying she couldn’t be, just that in this case, it doesn’t seem like she is bringing up anything. Which is certainly her right.

Ronda knows she’ll be asked about it as she releases her book, it is a hot topic, she makes a statement she doesn’t think will ruffle any feathers, and i personally feel that the news sites were blowing up her statement to imply way more than what her statement said.

I am just trying to poo poo on bad reporting.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

loose goose posted:

Additionally, I saw someone on Rddit post a fuller excerpt to provide context to the quote from her book. The last sentence stands out to me:

The second worst thing to happen to women’s professional wrestling in the West suddenly realised that he could make money from 51% of the population, and as such, gave the women on the roster a WrestleMania match named after the worst thing.

Which he then promptly forgot about two years later.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

How much of an absolute poo poo show it is at the WWE because they can't hold the story over my head and hold me hostage with my own career. I don't need anything from them and I don't intend on going back, so I can say everything that I think and feel while everybody else is still held captive by their organization...The only thing that really held me back was the number of words I was allowed to have in this book. We were contractually held to 90,000 words, and I was going to talk so much more poo poo, especially about John Laurinaitis and Bruce Prichard. I understand, we had to streamline everything and now take a detour on the ‘gently caress these old bastards’ path. There was a lot more to it, but I had to get down to the meat and potatoes.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/ronda-rousey-i-was-going-talk-more-poo poo-my-book-especially-about-john-laurinaitis-and-bruce-prichard

Very "heartbreaking: the worst person you know made a good point" etc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think it’s somewhat notable when anyone speaks out against them even if it’s not introducing any new information, especially when it’s someone like Rousey who has said many horrible and lovely things in the past. It’s nice to see even a broken clock sees them for who they are and can apparently confirm that it’s even still a gross boys club from her own short run there.

Yeah, I'm really struggling to see anything really wrong with what Rousey said here. Considering how she was immediately presented as a big deal almost immediately, I think it's fairly likely that she may have been insulated from a lot of the kind of poo poo that the women hired around the time of, or via, the Diva Search probably got subjected to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just don’t ask Ronda about Sandy Hook or Fallon Fox.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Did more details about the grand jury investigation come out in the last couple days? I saw someone tweeting about it like there was something new but I've been out a bunch.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
vince in jail yet?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Becky Lynch posted:

I don’t know that person, you know what I mean? That’s been hard for me. We didn’t always see eye-to-eye, but especially in my last run with him there, and when I told him I was pregnant, he was so good to me. Apart from the run-ins — but you have run-ins in every relationship, especially at that level — I only ever had a wonderful experience in WWE with Vince, for the most part.

So it’s very hard to reconcile that somebody else didn’t have that experience, and that other women didn’t have that experience. Especially when I had him to thank for my dream, for my husband [fellow WWE star Seth Rollins], for my daughter, for the life that I have now. It’s hard to see those two different people in my head, and trying to merge them as one becomes very difficult. You’re reading these horrific allegations, but about somebody that you look up to as very much almost like a father figure.

So you have to listen to these things and that becomes very difficult, because you’ve had no [negative] experience and you want everybody to have the experience that you’ve had, because I would always love my interactions with him. And that becomes very, very difficult, especially as a woman who has been so driven in changing the way that women are treated in wrestling and making sure that it is a safe space, that we are seen as athletes, that we are taken seriously, that we are appreciated for our minds, for our body of work, and for what we do in the ring.

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...a523887059.html

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Jfc all you have to do is refuse to comment and say you're still processing the allegations/have faith in the justice system or whatever.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I just have an incredibly hard time believing his evil side was that well hidden

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The337th posted:

I just have an incredibly hard time believing his evil side was that well hidden

I suspect that it's just very easy to look the other way and rationalise anything you do see when you're one of the biggest beneficiaries of a horrible system

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gotta hedge your bets because all his idiot spawn and yes men are in power.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Becky's thoughts are fine and maybe a little living in denial but really lack that one firm sentence to really show she's having difficulty processing something she accepts as reality.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The337th posted:

Never underestimate the power of cognitive dissonance.

Personally, I think Seth and Becky have handled this the best of anybody in the company. They're not denying what happened or denying the experiences of Janel Grant or anybody else. They're just stuck in the mindset of "I have all this success that I owe to Vince McMahon", instead of understanding that they earned that success themselves with their talent and hard work that Vince was willing to exploit to make money for himself. And that barely has anything to do with Vince McMahon in specific and is just something capitalism drills into people's minds.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 23, 2024

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

waffle iron posted:

Jfc all you have to do is refuse to comment and say you're still processing the allegations/have faith in the justice system or whatever.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

having faith in the justice system in this country, especially when it’s a rich white man in trouble, is loving idiotic.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I'm not talking about actually having faith in anything. Just confused how no one has given her a reasonably short phrase to deflect from having to directly go on record.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

waffle iron posted:

its capitalism. Its hard not to work for total monsters. Esp when there's big money involved. Steal what you can and salt down the ghouls on the way out.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

The337th posted:

I think the opposite. There is a cottage industry created just to gossip about this company. If this was some open secret that literally everyone knew, we'd have heard much more about it. The entire point of this lawsuit is that executives covered it up.

MassRafTer posted:

Becky's thoughts are fine and maybe a little living in denial but really lack that one firm sentence to really show she's having difficulty processing something she accepts as reality.

Agreed. Seems like a genuine statement.

waffle iron posted:

I'm not talking about actually having faith in anything. Just confused how no one has given her a reasonably short phrase to deflect from having to directly go on record.

I think what she said was better than a canned statement - what she said seemed real.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

81sidewinder posted:

I think the opposite. There is a cottage industry created just to gossip about this company. If this was some open secret that literally everyone knew, we'd have heard much more about it. The entire point of this lawsuit is that executives covered it up.

Dave knew

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Vince McMahon's abusive and predatory behavior, a complete unknown before this case broke

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

81sidewinder posted:

Agreed. Seems like a genuine statement.

I think what she said was better than a canned statement - what she said seemed real.

The lawsuit is a little more nuance than that is pretty clear that there was a culture of misconduct and abuse and cover up in WWE, but that this happened in clear view of execs, ordinary workers and wrestlers and no one did anything. While no one was reporting on this particular abuse, we are also at a time where Dave Meltzer has less sources than ever before and in the past he was most likely to report on it. But, who broke the PC abuse scandal? It was the victims themselves. That was happening in front of people with DeMott being brazen about it and HHH being brazen about the cover up in front of talent. But if you asked PC wrestlers of that era today they wouldn't think of HHH as involved. If you want to believe the best in people and those people are constantly hammering you that they are your family it is hard to break those beliefs even if abuse is happening basically in front of you.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
The level of cruelty at the PC would have been common on many football teams up until the early 2000s and maybe beyond in some areas. You could chalk that up to pro sports and/or rasslin culture and rationalize it pretty easily as part of 'protecting the business'. It was also happening at a satellite facility down in florida and not on the road for TV or at the corporate offices. I don't see that as analogous to the rank and file accepting that the boss is raping an an employee in a boardroom during business hours

The337th posted:

Vince McMahon's abusive and predatory behavior, a complete unknown before this case broke

The casting couch for total divas, the coverup of the Ashley Massaro assault, the tanning salon incident, Rita Chatterton, etc - that's all brutal, horrible poo poo. I can absolutely see people being aware or vaguely aware and rationalizing that as being years ago, or whatever. Or, simply compartmentalizing to make a living. It's also already been handled in the public's opinion, or maybe even literally litigated would be an easy lie to tell yourself.

Suggesting that tons of people knew the full details of the hell that Janel Grant was going through as recently as the last 3-5 years - I don't buy it. I absolutely buy that somewhere between 2-5 executives beyond Vince and Lauranitis were aware and maybe helped cover it up, absolutely. Maybe a few supervisors or HR folks knew that an underqualified person was being transferred and promoted because she was dating the boss. The idea that everyone from the office drones to the wrestlers to the cameraman on down knew that Vince and Johnny had a violent, cruel, non-consensual relationship with her? I don't see that as likely at all.

For one - If it was that broadly known, the idea that Endeavor paid as much as they did seems impossible to me. WWE would have been a radioactive asset and the NDAs would not have been sufficient to keep this hidden.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, they are being sued by the shareholders for the merger.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

81sidewinder posted:

The level of cruelty at the PC would have been common on many football teams up until the early 2000s and maybe beyond in some areas. You could chalk that up to pro sports and/or rasslin culture and rationalize it pretty easily as part of 'protecting the business'. It was also happening at a satellite facility down in florida and not on the road for TV or at the corporate offices. I don't see that as analogous to the rank and file accepting that the boss is raping an an employee in a boardroom during business hours

The casting couch for total divas, the coverup of the Ashley Massaro assault, the tanning salon incident, Rita Chatterton, etc - that's all brutal, horrible poo poo. I can absolutely see people being aware or vaguely aware and rationalizing that as being years ago, or whatever. Or, simply compartmentalizing to make a living. It's also already been handled in the public's opinion, or maybe even literally litigated would be an easy lie to tell yourself.

Suggesting that tons of people knew the full details of the hell that Janel Grant was going through as recently as the last 3-5 years - I don't buy it. I absolutely buy that somewhere between 2-5 executives beyond Vince and Lauranitis were aware and maybe helped cover it up, absolutely. Maybe a few supervisors or HR folks knew that an underqualified person was being transferred and promoted because she was dating the boss. The idea that everyone from the office drones to the wrestlers to the cameraman on down knew that Vince and Johnny had a violent, cruel, non-consensual relationship with her? I don't see that as likely at all.

For one - If it was that broadly known, the idea that Endeavor paid as much as they did seems impossible to me. WWE would have been a radioactive asset and the NDAs would not have been sufficient to keep this hidden.

My point is that one specific case wasn't needed to realize that Vince wasn't actually a decent person like he comes across in her statement

You don't need to see the worst (currently known) example of someone's abuses to suspect they're awful when so much more has already been out there

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

81sidewinder posted:

Vince McMahon literally involved an outside doctor in his scheme and an outside PT in the rapes. He showed explicit photos and shared details with referees and techs. Brock Lesnar was involved. You are completely, utterly wrong about how many people knew what this was.

And the PC abuse involved Bill DeMott bragging to the trainees that he had fired those who ratted, on top of abuse. It was blatant what they were doing and that they were doing it with impunity. The women harassed knew a female executive had been fired for speaking up.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 24, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That everybody responsible for this has gotten to this point in their lives without imprisonment/broken kneecaps is why people want to believe in Hell.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

They all knew.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Even if you acknowledged WWE is rotten to its core and people in the company generally knew about its rottenness, the lingering drone in you will try its best to convince you that this time it's totally different.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

cult brain.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I don't know if Becky's statement is fine when it hits the I owe Vince thanks for my own child level. Demented thing to say in this scenario.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Beckys bio opens with her being too scared to call vince and tell him shes pregnant after she just worked wrestlemania while just a little pregnant. That guy does a number on peoples brains.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1772665559525527933

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s what would have prevented all this, a company policy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

noted policy follower Vince McMahon

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That’s what would have prevented all this, a company policy.

Just like any HR policy, it's all about protecting the company from lawsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow wotta scoop

Corporation has unenforced policy that was violated by executives, more on this shocking story as it develops