Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
magic art can vary a lot i think its more important it fit the theme of the color and the expansion older magic art was really cool to me because it was much more inconsistent and varied before they settled on a style they've mostly stuck to with the exception of variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even ignoring the quality, that artstyle is a poor fit for a Magic the Gathering card. Its why art directors are important. You could have an amazing art masterpiece, and it'd still look like poo poo if it doesn't fit in visually with everything else.
It's from the Strixhaven weird art promo set. None of those cards fit with MtG. Same is true of all the promo art sets/secret lairs.
https://scryfall.com/sets/sta

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

personally i prefer that card art over like, say, another out of place foglio.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

i think its fine for something to have an inconsistent artstyle. pokemon for instance has extremely varied cart art. but speaking mostly from second-hand experience magic's artstyle has always looked fairly consistent, so something like that sticks out.
magic's artstyle was incredibly varied for a long time, and then kinda got generically streamlined at some point, and only in relatively recent times are they letting people experiment again. like, these are from the first five years of magic's lifetime, a wide variety of different artists:

I stopped playing around the Invasion Block, but I think it was the Ravnica sets or somewhere around there where they really clamped down on art diversity. then they realized they could make bank off selling wildly different artstyles to people and started including alternate arts done by classic artists like Richard Kane Ferguson, Phil Foglio, etc in recent sets.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's from the Strixhaven weird art promo set. None of those cards fit with MtG. Same is true of all the promo art sets/secret lairs.
https://scryfall.com/sets/sta
I think a lot of them actually fit perfectly fine in MTG. it's the card frame that doesn't fit. I get why they did it but I don't like it. the art in the mystical archives though is almost universally awesome. and then the japanese versions are even wilder. the Demonic Tutor, Approach of the Second Sun, and especially Counterspell are my favorites. it pisses me off we never got english versions of them except in the digital versions of MTG.

Ghostlight posted:

alright nevermind I admit I'm wrong about that faithless looting because this guy is just straight up nuts

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 24, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it does suck that people like Harold Mcneill, Terese Neilson, and Seb McKinnon turned out to be monsters(Mcneill is a literal nazi, Neilson started publicly paling around with alt-right types, and McKinnon went full crazy anti-vaxxer during covid and joined the canadian trucker assholes) but of all the faint praise I can give WOTC, immediately terminating contracts and damnatio memoriae-ing people like them is one of the good things they've done, even if it means we lose the sick art they produced

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

magic has had some cool guest artists like junji ito (ftw)
and Yoji Shinkawa!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 24, 2024

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

I assume it's because producers can't get enough of his brother's delicious Wahlburgers.

I remember seeing a job ad for a team member position at a local Wahlburgers once and it read like something Triple H would say to trainees in Tough Enough.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I think a lot of them actually fit perfectly fine in MTG. it's the card frame that doesn't fit. I get why they did it but I don't like it. the art in the mystical archives though is almost universally awesome. and then the japanese versions are even wilder. the Demonic Tutor, Approach of the Second Sun, and especially Counterspell are my favorites. it pisses me off we never got english versions of them except in the digital versions of MTG.

alright nevermind I admit I'm wrong about that faithless looting because this guy is just straight up nuts
I think the art is good, but most of it doesn't match the fantasy realism that people have gotten used to for MtG. I honestly think it's a shame these cards are usually reserved for specialty sets.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And Josh S. Hayes has far too many thoughts on "pay to win".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNT72xzv1Y

he's issued a correction. as well as an admission that he fell for the misinformation being spread around about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwddmUOaSY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think the art is good, but most of it doesn't match the fantasy realism that people have gotten used to for MtG. I honestly think it's a shame these cards are usually reserved for specialty sets.
oh the fantasy realism has gone straight out the window with the last few years worth of sets imo. In the last two years we have had a set of fantasy mobsters with tommy guns(that shoot lightning, not bullets), a detective mystery set with an offbrand scooby-doo card, a cyberpunk japanese set with computers and mecha, and the set that is about to release is literally a wild west set where the planeswalker from the fairy tale plane is now a cowboy, hat and all. And there's going to be full blown final fantasy and multiple marvel universe sets in the main set lineup in the coming year. "Traditional" mtg aesthetic is kinda gone. And while I like their takes on fantasy mobsters and the like, I certainly think the overall mtg feel is getting ruined these days.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Runa posted:

he's issued a correction. as well as an admission that he fell for the misinformation being spread around about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwddmUOaSY

People got mad enough to send unrepeatable insults because of one throwaway line in the middle of a video? I mean I know gamers can lose their poo poo over the most random things sometimes but sheesh.

It doesn’t even sound like it was far off from the truth. Most of the time developers defend pay to win practices with the “you can also earn this in-game” line, what they mean is that technically you can earn it if you have the patience to grind for hours for something the whales just unlock immediately. That sort of thing still counts as pay to win IMO.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Did the exaggerated Dragon's Dogma 2 hate get picked up by the Youtube algorithm? lol

"the lie becomes the truth..." as a musician once said 🤔

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The video example of :justpost: which is often followed by one going "Well, I was wrong, sorry for misleading people".

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
love to disseminate false information bc i didnt take 30 seconds to google my preconceived perceptions

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Loads of people have been making up poo poo and spreading fake poo poo about Dragon’s Dogma, and many are seemingly proud or unrepentant about it even on these very forums. I think it’s silly that YouTuber fell for it but it’s good they issued a correction at least.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

insanity!

that card art IS bad but its also uniquely and singularly bad. which in itself is kind of an achievement, but its def an outlier even compared to the other cards. its bizarre in how universally unappealing it is

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

Loads of people have been making up poo poo and spreading fake poo poo about Dragon’s Dogma, and many are seemingly proud or unrepentant about it even on these very forums. I think it’s silly that YouTuber fell for it but it’s good they issued a correction at least.

the people on this forum do not have an audience-creator relationship, fundamentally based on trust

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

No doubt. I guess I’m just reeling from the silly statement made by an admin about it lol.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sleng Teng posted:

It's a bit crap he's left the original video up though. I like Josh's stuff in general and he usually spends hours and hours actually playing the things he makes videos about, it's disappointing he jumped in this bandwagon. Like cool, you apologised but that original video is still there with the misinformation in it and there's no mention even in the description or a pinned comment.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

^^ its immoral loser behavior! all for a liitle bit of money.....

Sleng Teng posted:

No doubt. I guess I’m just reeling from the silly statement made by an admin about it lol.

lmfao how do people have that much confidence...i google things compulsively to make sure i only sound kinda stupid instead of like an entire idiot

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

It's a bit crap he's left the original video up though. I like Josh's stuff in general and he usually spends hours and hours actually playing the things he makes videos about, it's disappointing he jumped in this bandwagon. Like cool, you apologised but that original video is still there with the misinformation in it and there's no mention even in the description or a pinned comment.

Ah I didn’t think about that nor did I realize there wasn’t a pinned correction. Yeah that’s dumb as hell.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

love to disseminate false information bc i didnt take 30 seconds to google my preconceived perceptions

Part of the problem is that if you only spend 30 seconds to google you'll find the wrong thing, but also come on man. When your whole thing is dives into mechanics or old games, you gotta at least think for a second and go "wait, hold on, locking fast travel behind paying for it seems... odd"

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
It feels true to me, dammit!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey here's a dude who likes to get real nerdy about aquariums and freshwater fish. Cites his sources in video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UPwcuRIvSA

I found this bit of info pretty surprising. Female livebearers have a way of rejecting sperm from first order relatives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tUgPNtLB0c

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bakeneko posted:

People got mad enough to send unrepeatable insults because of one throwaway line in the middle of a video? I mean I know gamers can lose their poo poo over the most random things sometimes but sheesh.

It doesn’t even sound like it was far off from the truth. Most of the time developers defend pay to win practices with the “you can also earn this in-game” line, what they mean is that technically you can earn it if you have the patience to grind for hours for something the whales just unlock immediately. That sort of thing still counts as pay to win IMO.

The discourse around Dragon’s Dogma is hosed and extremely toxic for no real reason, and people shouldn’t be harassing him over his stupid perpetuation of a lie. The apology and correction are good and better than his first response, a sassy (and still wrong) tweet:

https://twitter.com/JoshStrifeHayes/status/1771704807989899501

People are also freaking out and harassing folks who put out positive videos on DD2. Suzi had to add a comment to her video because so many people were flooding the comments to repeat lies and call her the same names Josh got:

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1771187839906033912

It’s a wild amount of personal rage for people to having over a good game with some reported performance issues and the same lovely little nagging microtransactions Capcom has been putting on all their games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5zrYVaOvA
Baywatching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PTIjRQBx0
Your Dinosaurs are Wrong fan mail.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

It’s a wild amount of personal rage for people to having over a good game with some reported performance issues and the same lovely little nagging microtransactions Capcom has been putting on all their games.

Yeah I went and looked into it and apparently this is a big deal somehow? I had no idea. Then again I didn’t even know the game existed until a week ago.

Anyway all evidence suggests it was an honest mistake on Josh’s part, the sort that’s going to happen to anyone sooner or later, and he went out of his way to correct it as soon as he could. People calling him an immoral loser or whatever are being a bit overdramatic, to say nothing of all the ones actively harassing him and others.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

People calling him an immoral loser or whatever are being a bit overdramatic, to say nothing of all the ones actively harassing him and others.

not a lot of love in my heart for people who choose ad rev over basic social behaviors like removing false info. im aware it's just a stupid video game but its more abt demonstrating bare minimum moral values

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grondoth posted:

Part of the problem is that if you only spend 30 seconds to google you'll find the wrong thing, but also come on man. When your whole thing is dives into mechanics or old games, you gotta at least think for a second and go "wait, hold on, locking fast travel behind paying for it seems... odd"

I was watching a YT video about media literacy earlier today and his citations were screenshots of the google search page 'featured snippets' results, lol

I guess that technically counts as googling? :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

Yeah I went and looked into it and apparently this is a big deal somehow? I had no idea. Then again I didn’t even know the game existed until a week ago.

It's getting pushed by the usual culture warrior gamer gate idiots.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Mokinokaro posted:

It's getting pushed by the usual culture warrior gamer gate idiots.

what? why do those morons care about dragon's dogma 2? i don't see any logical way for them to attach themselves to the discourse, but i'm sure i'm missing some loving stupid thing that got them interested

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SpiritOfLenin posted:

what? why do those morons care about dragon's dogma 2? i don't see any logical way for them to attach themselves to the discourse, but i'm sure i'm missing some loving stupid thing that got them interested

They want to be mad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

They got mad at the character creator because the women dont look like Astral Blade

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The DD2 dlc poo poo is insane to me that people are mad about it. It's the same lovely but ignorable dlc that every major Capcom and non souls bamco release has had for the last decade. Pay 5 bucks to get 10 items you'll be able to find in 15 mins! You'll only get suckered into that if you're the kind of moron that bought red orbs from DMC5s dlc shop.

Or paying 10 dollars to start with extra healing items in a Tales of game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 24, 2024

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

They got mad at the character creator because the women dont look like Astral Blade

You can make gorgeous characters and the most popular pawns are waifus, you just have to know what the gently caress you're doing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

That absolutely isn't the case here.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

Hey here's a dude who likes to get real nerdy about aquariums and freshwater fish. Cites his sources in video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UPwcuRIvSA

I found this bit of info pretty surprising. Female livebearers have a way of rejecting sperm from first order relatives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tUgPNtLB0c

Guppies and Endlers are really cute. Though I don't know how hobbyists deal with all the babies, I'd go insane.

He does pin a comment under that video pointing out that he misunderstood how powerful the sperm selection effect is, which is important if you plan to rely on it as an anti-inbreeding failsafe.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There’s also non white humans in this European fantasy world.

Tbh it’s a game that’s a nexus for multiple interminable discourse paths from all sides. The micro transactions and launch game performance aside, it’s a Japanese game and also a challenging game that doesn’t tutorialize or smooth over systems like a AAA game does. It’s primed to invite people to give stupid or ill-conceived takes or rant about “accessibility in Japanese games” in a vaguely problematic way. It’s a niche IP people won’t grit their teeth and swallow as brilliant like Elden Ring. It’s like seeing fresh Demon’s Souls discourse all over again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also your pawns comment on if you only pick dudes, ladies, or cat people. Which will and already has rattled certain people lol.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bakeneko posted:

In that video he mentions multiple of those items are easily Craftable or just purchasable in game. The biggest one, the fast travel point is harder in game but it doesnt give you the items need to fast travel to that point and you can still only have 10 active and you'll slowly get those as you need them during the game's run time anyway so you're basically paying 3 bucks to bypass maybe 10 mins of work later at a point in the game you don't need the fast travel point and probably don't want to waste in game money on the items to teleport to them.

It's all kind of pointless and a sucker's purchase, just like buying red orbs in DMC for real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Also your pawns comment on if you only pick dudes, ladies, or cat people. Which will and already has rattled certain people lol.

huge lol