Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

e: it's insane these cars are only 14 years apart.

One might even say worlds apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i would even say one of them is streets ahead

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Swiggity swooty.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

One might even say worlds apart.

Looking into it, they both would have been around $11,000 new.

Granted $11k in 1973 would be about $29k in 1987.

Darchangel posted:

Interesting - I don't think my SR-5 wraps to 4000 at 75, and it's had 4.10 rear gears from an automatic car swapped in (standard gearing for a manual is 3.909 IIRC.) I mean, my redline is 5K, I think (fake edit: nope, 6K!.) I actually don't recall what the cruising RPM is, though. It may be 4K and I just accept it, because that's what it is.

It's got 4.30s because race car so even with a 0.861 overdrive it's at 3.70:1 in 5th. Even with no overdrive the lincoln sits at 2400rpm, but then again it will also do 75mph in first.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got some nice outdoor shots of the 996 today.

This is the best view for sure

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got some nice outdoor shots of the 996 today.

This is the best view for sure

A very fine automobile.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sir Mix-A-Lot would approve. Because he is into cars.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Powershift posted:

Very high on the list for me once i get to cosmetics.

Came out of the Home Depot and my car was joined by a corolla friend.

Observations putting 60 miles on around town.

-1260kg with a full tank, my fat rear end, a bunch of groceries and some snow. ~1080kg with just a tank of gas.
-4000rpm at 75mph. Not a highway cruiser.
-fun as hell

e: it's insane these cars are only 14 years apart.

I can feel how cold it is where you are

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Bought it 4 months ago, fixed a bunch of things, now learning how to drive it and what still needs fixing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
New wheels…who dis?

Also the amount of St. Patrick’s comments I got this morning was silly.

I reminded folks that St. Patrick was Italian.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 17, 2024

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Terrible night shot because the car is filthy thanks to it constantly raining

Oem performance pack brembos fitted with some PMU Clubracers, a bunch of stiffer drivetrain mounts and an oilcooler fitted. Now ready for it's first track outing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

heffray posted:

Bought it 4 months ago, fixed a bunch of things, now learning how to drive it and what still needs fixing.

Hell yes to this.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

davecrazy posted:

New wheels…who dis?

Also the amount of St. Patrick’s comments I got this morning was silly.

I reminded folks that St. Patrick was Italian.

lol you too huh

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The weather broke 70 for the first time this year, I had to take it out and drive it. And get a little photoshoot in. 21 year old car, which I got at 10 years old, with transplanted drivetrain I've had for almost 17 years. I still absolutely love it. I have photoshopped out the paint chips on the front bumper so you all can see it how I see it.

I finally did paintless dent removal on it last year and it really came out nice.

It has its defects but I'm planning on fixing them. Here is the un-re-touched truth of the front end. Very frustrating, in that this was a factory painted bumper I paid around $800 for, and the first time I power washed it, paint flaked off like a motherfucker. The white scuff in the center is from my now-deceased brother being careless around it. Also frustrating.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to go all in on getting it repainted vs DIY vinyl wrapping it. I think I'm gonna try wrapping it myself and if I screw it up then pay someone to redo it. Either way is cheaper than a repaint, and with how seldom I drive it these days, even vinyl should last a decade.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 18, 2024

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

FWIW even w a few bumper chips it's amazing. Excellent work - I think I remember the transplant thread.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Good lines defy time.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
dope as gently caress, that's a real good shitbox you got there

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yolo or something

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

loving hell I think you just won the thread.

Goddrat dude.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Taking “simplify and add lightness” to it’s logical conclusion

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

You glorious bastard

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Been thinking of getting an Elise myself but a good street one is still $40k and I’m a cheap bastard despite what my fleet says about me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Been thinking of getting an Elise myself but a good street one is still $40k and I’m a cheap bastard despite what my fleet says about me.

I swear the Elise has been $40k for the last 12 years.

I love an angry pumpkin. The Exige S of a former coworker was such a memorable experience.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They were $30K for a good while

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeaaaa, I let the ship sail on getting a 996 GT3 when they were in the 40s and 50s so I figured I'd finally grab an Elise after not getting one when they were in the 20's. I don't have any real firm plans with it yet, I'd just been looking for one to hang onto as a future track car for about six months. This one popped up and I had to have it after I realized it was one of the VSA built Lotus Cup cars - my friend owns one of the sister cars, so I knew build quality would be high, which it is. The previous owner handed me a 2" thick binder of receipts, I stopped counting at $80k.

It wasn't cheap, but it'll get a K24. Transmission is the real question, I'd like to do a VW DSG and run everything on MaxxECU but we will see. General idea is that this thing should be significantly less tire dependent than my K BRZ and it won't need to fit such a restrictive ruleset so more fun can be had from the builder side of things.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 20, 2024

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hell yeah, and that color is awesome too.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Mmmm sequential gearbox :getin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeaaaa, I let the ship sail on getting a 996 GT3 when they were in the 40s and 50s so I figured I'd finally grab an Elise after not getting one when they were in the 20's. I don't have any real firm plans with it yet, I'd just been looking for one to hang onto as a future track car for about six months. This one popped up and I had to have it after I realized it was one of the VSA built Lotus Cup cars - my friend owns one of the sister cars, so I knew build quality would be high, which it is. The previous owner handed me a 2" thick binder of receipts, I stopped counting at $80k.

It wasn't cheap, but it'll get a K24. Transmission is the real question, I'd like to do a VW DSG and run everything on MaxxECU but we will see. General idea is that this thing should be significantly less tire dependent than my K BRZ and it won't need to fit such a restrictive ruleset so more fun can be had from the builder side of things.

T H R E A D

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Run the 2ZZ into the ground first IMO, fellow chrome orange owner.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 21, 2024

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Put on the summer 18s and ran through a car wash. Coming from driving on studded Hakka 9s mostly on wet asphalt since we bought it last October, it was like getting a completely different car!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

evobatman posted:

Put on the summer 18s and ran through a car wash

:sigh: It just snowed this week. It was high 60ºF earllier this month. Can't wait to get the summer wheels on and stop needing to wash all the salt brine off.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Octopus Magic posted:

Run the 2ZZ into the ground first IMO, fellow chrome orange owner.

:yeah:

it's a cool engine and finicky enough it's only a matter of time if you drive the piss out of it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hell yeah.

:getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Need to take some new pics but it needs a wash first!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice color, good wagon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

priznat posted:

Need to take some new pics but it needs a wash first!

Would.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sometimes I think about trading in my E91 for a V60. They look so drat nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is stupidly quick when you want it to be with the rear electric motors and turbo ice up front. No more supercharger in these, probably thankfully.

Or just toodling around on electric when dropping off kids etc, I love it. It’s super practical but also fun as hell.

If BMW had the wagons in north America I might have had a harder decision but sadly not anymore.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
the Volvo is dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is also dog approved!

Would like to perhaps get a better liner and bumper protector mat.. thinking weather tech but any other good options would be welcome to know