Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ippei is in deep to the Dojima clan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

I can't believe George Santos didn't actually translate for Ohtani...

lmao

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Ippei thing is even weirder now that it looks like he made up his media guide biography. He claimed he worked with Okajima and the Red Sox, but the years don’t match up, Okajima already had an interpreter, and Boston says they never heard of him.
Another piece reported this week that UC Riverside has no record of him attending.

edit: I see that's in the piece you linked as well

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 24, 2024

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If this somehow ends up being a clear cut case of Ippei being a chronic liar who stole from Ohtani he might be safer coming back to America and getting prosecuted lmao

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Spring training is coming to an end and we pretty much know what every team's Opening Day roster looks like. Seems like a good time to look at some projections.

PECOTA:

Fangraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings ZIPS tends to be more conservative, and has the Braves winning 97 games and the Dodgers 93.

Random thoughts: I wouldn't be surprised by anyone winning the NL Central, even the Pirates. It's pretty funny to see the O's and Reds in 3rd place, with their endless supply of prospects. The Yankees winning the division seems contingent on Cole being healthy. Not sure I buy the Dodgers as a 100 win team this year.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Not to hand it to them, but I think the Rangers will probably squeak in closer to 90, but still take second. Or they'll flame out and the Mariners will take their spot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My concern with the Dodgers is their pitching. They won't have Ohtani, Kershaw, and Buehler for most/all of the season. This means that Yamamoto has to really perform well and their other guys like Miller/Paxton/Glasnow need to stay healthy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins winning 90 games would be hilarious

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I gotta wonder if this is the year the Rays magic runs out, with all their pitching injuries, and no Wander. Not sure if McClanahan, Springs and Rasmussen are expected back this year at all.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

RIP to the only owner in history to ever take labors side during a strike

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dinosaurs! posted:

Good riddance. I’ll give him that the early years were good, he never sold the naming rights to the best park in the league, and he was about as pro-labor as an owner could be - which is still next to nothing. He ponied up to keep Chris Davis when he was absolutely mashing and, as I understand, allowed to take his adderall. Dude sounded like a real poo poo stain and he was probably worse than I realized, but it’s easy to not seem so bad when Dan Snyder is your neighbor.
wow wtf, hes not a "poo poo stain" just because he was bad when it came to baseball decisions lol

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

gonna drunkenly stumble down the Nick Castellanos memorial stairs.
https://x.com/JomboyMedia/status/1771726368100765897?s=20

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Criminal Minded posted:

That’s not Michael Keaton?

I've never seen Keaton and Sandberg together, so

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Pussy Boss posted:

Spring training is coming to an end and we pretty much know what every team's Opening Day roster looks like. Seems like a good time to look at some projections.

PECOTA:

Fangraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings ZIPS tends to be more conservative, and has the Braves winning 97 games and the Dodgers 93.

Random thoughts: I wouldn't be surprised by anyone winning the NL Central, even the Pirates. It's pretty funny to see the O's and Reds in 3rd place, with their endless supply of prospects. The Yankees winning the division seems contingent on Cole being healthy. Not sure I buy the Dodgers as a 100 win team this year.

If the Tigers somehow finish with a record 3 wins worse than 2023 this year despite dropping Cabrera/Maton/Baddoo/Haase from the lineup.......:suicide:

Losing Erod is going to hurt, and I don't put any stock into strong spring training stats, but I just can't see them being *that* bad.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
those projections are complete nonsense.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah idk how you put Yankees at the top of AL East and the Orioles 3rd???

Also at risk of counting out the hated Red Birds, they seem like kinda a mess and well the division is definitely a toss up I don't see them as favourites.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

Fangraphs says the Phillies will have the #1 bullpen, I've been burned before.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

PECOTA has been garbage for decades and I have no idea how it became popular when it's so bad

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I forgot the SD vs SEA Spring Breakout game was today, and wow. Great games for Snelling and Ornelas. I also can't believe De Vries was involved, but he had a hell of a game along with fellow 17 year old Salas.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Doubt the Dodgers at 100+ wins at your peril

The roster is definitely stronger this year than it was a year ago, both in the rotation and the lineup.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
POOCOTA

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

wow wtf, hes not a "poo poo stain" just because he was bad when it came to baseball decisions lol

I was referring to his - and Snyder’s - character. He didn’t seem like a great guy according to anecdotes I’ve heard from people who’ve been in contact with the family.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

My concern with the Dodgers is their pitching. They won't have Ohtani, Kershaw, and Buehler for most/all of the season. This means that Yamamoto has to really perform well and their other guys like Miller/Paxton/Glasnow need to stay healthy.
They’ve got like another 5 guys at AAA behind that ready to fill in as needed, several of whom pitched with some success in the majors last year.

They are not counting on getting 30+ starts out of anyone, that’s not how this team assembles a rotation anymore. They got like 9 guys and whichever combination is healthy at any given time will pitch, with excess going down to AAA according to service time/options.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

Doubt the Dodgers at 100+ wins at your peril

The roster is definitely stronger this year than it was a year ago, both in the rotation and the lineup.

Yeah but they are among the few teams despicable enough that it is ethical to root for injuries to their key players so you need to factor that in.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

ozymandius1024 posted:

If the Tigers somehow finish with a record 3 wins worse than 2023 this year despite dropping Cabrera/Maton/Baddoo/Haase from the lineup.......:suicide:

Losing Erod is going to hurt, and I don't put any stock into strong spring training stats, but I just can't see them being *that* bad.

I have faith in the Tigers' ability to disappoint me.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
everyone is raving about the tigers pitching, but that offense desperately needs Tork/Green/Kerry Bonds/Meadows to play lights out

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dinosaurs! posted:

I was referring to his - and Snyder’s - character. He didn’t seem like a great guy according to anecdotes I’ve heard from people who’ve been in contact with the family.
Yeah though that’s just the thing, I’ve never heard anything bad about the man on a human level.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

everyone is raving about the tigers pitching, but that offense desperately needs Tork/Green/Kerry Bonds/Meadows to play lights out

The infield defense is going to be a pretty big question for me too. Keith hasn't been a strong defender in the minors, Torkelson graded out awful last year overall (despite seeming great at picking), and I'm not blown away by the combo of Ibanez/McKinstry)/Vierling at 3rd.

At least the OF defense is going to own.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah though that’s just the thing, I’ve never heard anything bad about the man on a human level.

All billionaires are bad, hope that helps.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Can we please not go into tax_crimes.txt again

We are four days away from the beginning of the Cubs 162-0 season

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Kolten Wong got his release today so is it better or worse that the O's will be carrying either Tyler Nevin or Ryan McKenna instead of Jackson Holliday, asking for a friend.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Which is why his new team would be able to tag him with a QO if he signs a one year deal now. But if he waits till the season starts then they could not.

Why would they wait to sign instead of just putting it in a contract that he can't be offered the QO. This doesn't make sense!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Ippei thing is even weirder now that it looks like he made up his media guide biography. He claimed he worked with Okajima and the Red Sox, but the years don’t match up, Okajima already had an interpreter, and Boston says they never heard of him.

Massive lol if this situation ends up being partially the Angels' fault because they didn't vet Ippei at all. I hope he gets some help or something though, dude has lost it all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/PWSullivan/status/1771667139985904005?s=20

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Pathetic.

Cardinals beat writers are resorting to pushing the storyline that the cardinals might be able to steal the opening series from the dodgers because of the ohtani chaos, which is hilarious. I can’t remember ever being less excited for opening day since I started following baseball

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Can’t believe they lost

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I like it, but have no idea why a team from Eastern Washington would be playing it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

assuming they're doing go coogs go

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why would they wait to sign instead of just putting it in a contract that he can't be offered the QO. This doesn't make sense!
Can you add a contract clause that voids a portion of the CBA like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Pathetic.

Cardinals beat writers are resorting to pushing the storyline that the cardinals might be able to steal the opening series from the dodgers because of the ohtani chaos, which is hilarious. I can’t remember ever being less excited for opening day since I started following baseball

When Sonny Gray comes off the IL in July, it'll be just like getting traded a TOR starter