Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pthighs posted:

Explain the worms. My son saw the Dunc 2 with a friend who hadn't seen part 1 or read the book and at one point the friend leaned over and whispered, "why is he walking like that?"

because he shat his pants and is trying to make it dribble down to the stillsuit's poo poo processer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In a dystopia feudal future, the desert planet Arrakis, inhabited by giant sandworms and ornery nomads, is the only source of a psychoactive chemical that is necessary for space travel. A noble house is granted control of the planet, but it turns out to be a trap to get them shanked by a rival noble house. But a) the native population turns out to be way bigger, badder, and more pissed off than expected b) the heir to the destroyed house turns out to be the product of a thousand year eugenic conspiracy by evil sex nuns to breed a psychic ubermensch c) part of said conspiracy involved starting a fake religion among those nomads based around "if said ubermensch shows up, drop everything and go on a horrific holy war to exterminate all his enemies"

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 23, 2024

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Space drugs in the desert

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How would you summarize dune one to the wife in a few sentences if she hasn’t seen it before the pleasure of dune 2

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1707/spices-world

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How would you summarize dune one to the wife in a few sentences if she hasn’t seen it before the pleasure of dune 2

Nude Daddy Isaac.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Wife going to try to watch Dune 1 on hulu. HOpe it doesn't blow up in my face if the wife doesn't like the horrible Hulu fuzzy streaming exp with ads!~

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Wife going to try to watch Dune 1 on hulu. HOpe it doesn't blow up in my face if the wife doesn't like the horrible Hulu fuzzy streaming exp with ads!~

:filez: don't have ads

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

StashAugustine posted:

In a dystopia feudal future, the desert planet Arrakis, inhabited by giant sandworms and ornery nomads, is the only source of a psychoactive chemical that is necessary for space travel. A noble house is granted control of the planet, but it turns out to be a trap to get them shanked by a rival noble house. But a) the native population turns out to be way bigger, badder, and more pissed off than expected b) the heir to the destroyed house turns out to be the product of a thousand year eugenic conspiracy by evil sex nuns to breed a psychic ubermensch c) part of said conspiracy involved starting a fake religion among those nomads based around "if said ubermensch shows up, drop everything and go on a horrific holy war to exterminate all his enemies"

That’s a remarkably complete summary, for being so concise.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
It's not necessary though. Machines do the space folding, prescience just lets you pick the path that doesn't slam you into a planet or cosmic brick wall, most of the time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Monica Bellucci posted:

It's not necessary though. Machines do the space folding, prescience just lets you pick the path that doesn't slam you into a planet or cosmic brick wall, most of the time.

Correct but this doesn't come up in five hours if movie so I don't see the need to explain it in an elevator pitch

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Fair, Imma go watch Elmo take the gom jabbar again now.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

y'all know I got that mf thang on me

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
It is fitted desert fashion, who taught you this?

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

It just seemed the right way

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Dunc is processed in the thigh pads

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I'm the pile of useless shoes.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
There's DUNC lego?!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

There's DUNC lego?!

Yep! The Ornithopter kit is one of those fancy ones but it comes with most of the cast, including hovering massive cape Baron Harkonnen.

For some reason I'm picturing Sandworms fitting right into Avatar The Last Airbender verse.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
They need Dune Duplo. They can call it Dunplo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That lego ornithopter looks cool as hell and I seriously thought about getting it but I don't have my own lego and I wouldn't want it getting all mixed in with the kids' crap

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/dune-atreides-royal-ornithopter-10327

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I have no idea where I would display it especially with the wings out.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
i arrive at the idaho river bridge

cart: royal

hwi: sweet

dick: none

i am forcibly lasguned from the idaho river bridge

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

They should just do God Emperor with multiple directors doing different parts like in Four Rooms. Just go hog wild with it. Don't let Tarantino do the Hwi scenes or else Leto II will suddenly have a foot fetish.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Scarabrae posted:

I have no idea where I would display it especially with the wings out.

My brother and his wife bought the ornithopter set, he brought it over to show off to me... and then decided to leave it here for now because he's in the same bind with not really having good display space at home.

It's goddamn amazing but I am terrified of handling it.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

If I recall correctly they're all 100% dependent on a single air-traffic controller that used to be a human woman. The guild is pretty lucky that a benevolent super-being with no value for incentives just keeps the whole operation afloat in her idle time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
villaneuve is making the movies from two books, therefore only two books exist now

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bob dobbs is dead posted:

villaneuve is making the movies from two books, therefore only two books exist now

... but there is only one book?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

There is definitely only one God-Emperor.

And he's dickless.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Dennis you coward, punch it all the way through the boring-rear end God Emperor one.

e^^^^ great minds think alike

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Scags McDouglas posted:

Dennis you coward, punch it all the way through the boring-rear end God Emperor one.

e^^^^ great minds think alike

ét een zis scéne we can clair-lee see zat le empairair eez, 'ow you sai, wivout a peneez, oui? we uséd exclusive-lee practical effects becausé we réahl-lee wentéd a true reacshe-on from le duncan

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

ét een zis scéne we can clair-lee see zat le empairair eez, 'ow you sai, wivout a peneez, oui? we uséd exclusive-lee practical effects becausé we réahl-lee wentéd a true reacshe-on from le duncan

very good but I want to see more odd sudden jumps in tempo

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

If I recall correctly they're all 100% dependent on a single air-traffic controller that used to be a human woman. The guild is pretty lucky that a benevolent super-being with no value for incentives just keeps the whole operation afloat in her idle time.

I assume that's from the "new" books.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bubblyblubber posted:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

I assume that's from the "new" books.

Yeah every time I point stuff like this out, everyone else in the thread despises me just a tad more

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I always liked this fan art of the Guild navigators:

As they mutate ('level up', I guess) from increased spice intake, their sinuses get more warped and hosed-up looking, not unlike a cocaine addict.

Are 'stages' of navigator a thing from the books, or a Lynch invention? Come to think of it, I haven't read the books in a LONG time - is the navigator that talks to the emperor actually described as mutated, and in a tank? Or is that all Lynch too?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah every time I point stuff like this out, everyone else in the thread despises me just a tad more

Don't forget those of who have shite memories and are just double checking info on the sly. :corsair:

Just read. :thumbsup:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Are 'stages' of navigator a thing from the books, or a Lynch invention? Come to think of it, I haven't read the books in a LONG time - is the navigator that talks to the emperor actually described as mutated, and in a tank? Or is that all Lynch too?

no, stages is something Lynch came up with. the book high level guild guys are hosed up but not quite at that level. here's one interpretation, maybe still a little extreme, posted mostly because i like Wayne Barlowe.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

As they mutate ('level up', I guess) from increased spice intake, their sinuses get more warped and hosed-up looking, not unlike a cocaine addict.

hosed up navigators only show up in messiah, original recipe DUNC only references them but never shows any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

this is my favorite navigator: