Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is this the true sequel to Kerbal Space Program??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Is this the true sequel to Kerbal Space Program??

It does feature a useless spaceman who constantly crashes and burns with a grin on his face.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lunar detritus posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I still had the demo so I checked and there it's Jeb, but the release version has Jen

oh! so this changed between the demo and the release, then? well i'm glad her name change application went through

Gaffle posted:

The signature still says Jeb either way

it could be a cursive n :colbert:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Your Computer posted:

please help me uncover this deep lore

the balatro wiki says that the driver's license has the name "jeb joker" and has this image to go with it

it makes no mention of any other name, nor have i seen anyone else talk about this.

HOWEVER

in my game her name is CLEARLY "jen joker"

you have been asking too many questions. the allegiance of jokers is sending someone over. leave your front door unlocked, it will be a friendly chat.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Oh man am I annoyed. Got all the way to the big boss blind ante 8 and lost because the game flat out refused to give me a xMulti at any point. gently caress you, I ate the gros michel in ante 3, where's my cavendish.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay I need a question answered.

I have Midas and Vampire. There's a Sock and Buskin in the store. This doesn't work the way I want it to work, right?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

MJeff posted:

I have Midas and Vampire. There's a Sock and Buskin in the store. This doesn't work the way I want it to work, right?

Likely not. Midas then Vampire are applied when playing a hand, not when cards are scored. Sock and Buskin is then applied to scored face cards.

Edit: iirc this quirk allows Vampire and Midas to still work on unscored face cards played in a hand.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 24, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MJeff posted:

Nope, Midas and Vampire only go off once.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So if you're using Sac Dagger + Riff Raff, place RR to the right after whatever joker you're going to eat so that you get a free joker every round. Also if you do this and have Sac Dagger eat a negative you'll break your joker count as Riff Raff will still trigger even after your negative is gone. Managed to get 6/5 jokers after eating a negative Mr. Bones for +10 mult.

Also won the same run despite getting my hand down to 5 cards to unlock the upgraded + handsize voucher.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, this one isn't so much me asking advice, but I think this is a really, really interesting situation and I wanted to share it.

What do you think you would do here? For reference, the deck currently has 5 Aces and 6 2s.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
death the 2 or take hiero to buff them later?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
How did any of you lunatics have the mental fortitude to finish Jokerless?

I’ve been at it for 15 hours. Multiple losses in ante 8, some by fewer than 1000 chips. It’s so frustrating and boring. It’s the last accomplishment I have for this game (gold stakes done, collection done, etc). The completionist in me doesn’t want to let it go but holy gently caress is it frustrating.

My strategy has been to refresh the first antes until I get a free shop and $15 for beating the boss, or a double of either of those. The only planets I buy are Earth, Mars, and maybe a Jupiter in the first 2 or 3 antes. From there, the goal is to convert every card into 2 or 3 numbers. If I get a Spectral pack, amazing. Otherwise it’s using Strength and Death as much as possible. If those aren’t available, then I’ll make Glass or Steel cards. Ideally, I end up with like, 10 of each of my desired cards and a super high multiplier for 4 of a kind, with all the cards left in hand providing 1.5x.

Even then, I played 3 Four of a Kinds in a row and still couldn’t win. What the gently caress

It’s also bullshit that packs still include Judgment, Wheel of Fortune, and Temperance

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't gotten it unlocked yet, am I right in that Jokerless is entirely dependent on how many glass and steel cards the game deigns to give you?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have one Legendary Joker left in Collections and I'm actually doing a decent job getting Soul cards to show up but they're always that fucker Yorick. I'm in like Ante 9 right now, but, thanks for showing up, dude.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do you play with Obelisk in a way that works long term? If you don't play your most played hand, the second most eventually ties it, so you can't play that anymore, and so on, so if you get it early, it does nothing, but if you get it late, it has no build-up and you can't really pivot.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You could have 2 primary hands that you alternate, such as pair and 2 pair. Obelisk is probably very powerful but I have no patience to manage it.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Obelisk only works in hyper specific situations. There’s no point in buying it before ante 4 and no point in buying it after ante 7. The only way to make it work is to start the game by playing a ton of Flushes and Full Houses and aggressively manipulate the deck so that by ante 5, you’re able to play 4 of a Kind, 5 of a Kind, Flush Five, and Flush House instead. Or maybe you’re able to pivot thanks to great jokers that let Pair or High Card work.

You need to get your most played hand to a minimum of 12 for it to work.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
yeah, you never start the game planning to pick up obelisk, it's purely something you pivot into if you were abusing a specific joker combo to win early hands with a specific hand type but it'd get outscaled late game

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The easiest way to get obelisk to work is to have an early joker that uses a specific hand for scaling but doesn't actually need you to keep playing that hand. If you're spamming high cards just to run up green joker or two pairs to build up spare pants you can pivot pretty painlessly to playing whatever else you want later on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
seconding "how the hell are people beating Jokerless?" but also Golden Needle. Just no clue what to do on those beyond "get really, really lucky with glass cards"

and like I just finished grinding gold stakes so I'm at least not awful at this game right :shobon:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Golden needle is mostly just getting the right jokers for some form of niche hand that will oneshot every blind, since you get to many discards you pretty much guarantee you can draw into your one good hand. Very RNG like all 3 of the last challenges, but it's the most reasonable of them I think.
Jokerless is just bad, you constantly clear ante 1 small blind, look for standard packs, open them and look for some sort of god card, holo/poly +gold or red seal mostly, and then actually draw it in the proceeding blinds and also get enough deaths to turn your deck into that card, and then not get "card type is debuffed" or the final blind which disables cards until you sell a joker, etc etc etc. Also you have to pray that not too many of your glass cards break before you win, because they're 100% required for it to be beatable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Throwing in my hat as someone else who's hit a wall with the higher stakes (purple and orange specifically; haven't managed to unlock gold yet). I didn't find the preceding difficulty spikes too terrible, but that second score adjustment and what follows basically kneecaps most of my runs before they start, even with aggressive resetting to get a good tag from the first ante small blind skip; and a scoring joker - ANY scoring joker at all, seriously - from the first two shops, which love to flood me with planet and tarot cards instead.

Still got around 70 hours outta this thing, which is pretty good for a $15 game, but I've gone from concentrate playing it at all available hours to one or two run attempts a day before moving on to something else. It's a quality product, and great on the lower antes, but going for completion turns it into a bit of a slog (which to be fair is a common affliction among roguelites; Slay the Spire and Spelunky 2 lost me too for similar reasons).

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
The problem I have with this game, is I don't seem to be able to learn anything from run to run, because every run throws up totally different cards.

edit: Also I'm just bad at games.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In the AMA on Reddit (there was a good recap posted some pages back), the developer said they know RNG at higher stakes is a problem. Game's good at lower stakes.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Jokerless was also a trial for me. I think flushes are easier to try and build a run around because of scaling/frequency, especially if you can get a super glass card to help, but unfortunately there really is no substitute for just banging your head against the wall.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Einwand posted:

Golden needle is mostly just getting the right jokers for some form of niche hand that will oneshot every blind, since you get to many discards you pretty much guarantee you can draw into your one good hand. Very RNG like all 3 of the last challenges, but it's the most reasonable of them I think.
Jokerless is just bad, you constantly clear ante 1 small blind, look for standard packs, open them and look for some sort of god card, holo/poly +gold or red seal mostly, and then actually draw it in the proceeding blinds and also get enough deaths to turn your deck into that card, and then not get "card type is debuffed" or the final blind which disables cards until you sell a joker, etc etc etc. Also you have to pray that not too many of your glass cards break before you win, because they're 100% required for it to be beatable.

Hahahaha you can run into the Verdant Leaf??? That’s so, so hosed up.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Aggro posted:

Hahahaha you can run into the Verdant Leaf??? That’s so, so hosed up.
My first "almost complete" Jokerless was ruined by a Violet Vessel. Was absolutely fuming. The challenges will indeed pick from any of the standard final Boss Blinds, as the game assumes you can build a deck that makes them technically possible. Anyway, speaking of the Verdant Leaf...

Was wondering when I'd get a Tiny Hands run! Check another off my Green Stakes list too: thanks to Painted Deck, I was pretty much drawing out the whole Deck by the end of the run. Still have to grab Big Hands, presumably during some ludicrous High Card run, and then there's nothing left to do except for stakes climbing and maybe an attempt a scientific notation/endless run.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 25, 2024

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Aggro posted:

My strategy has been to refresh the first antes until I get a free shop and $15 for beating the boss, or a double of either of those. The only planets I buy are Earth, Mars, and maybe a Jupiter in the first 2 or 3 antes. From there, the goal is to convert every card into 2 or 3 numbers. If I get a Spectral pack, amazing. Otherwise it’s using Strength and Death as much as possible. If those aren’t available, then I’ll make Glass or Steel cards. Ideally, I end up with like, 10 of each of my desired cards and a super high multiplier for 4 of a kind, with all the cards left in hand providing 1.5x.

Even then, I played 3 Four of a Kinds in a row and still couldn’t win. What the gently caress

It’s also bullshit that packs still include Judgment, Wheel of Fortune, and Temperance
Yeah, it's one of the rare cases where rerolling for good tags in ante 1 is a necessity, like high stakes black deck.

Tarot cards are the key resource. Get the tarot merchant and overstock vouchers and open as many packs as possible. Planet cards fall off by the mid-antes, so don't get the voucher or overspend on them.

Glass cards are the best and should always be prioritized over steel unless you're somehow running pair/high card. Bonus cards and esp mult cards via hierophant/empress are extremely useful in the early antes. Red seals are godly, but I wasn't lucky enough to get them onto glass cards on my winning run. Pretty sure I ran a flush build and was able to turn nearly the whole deck to one suit by the end.

If you've glassed a bunch of cards and are hitting 100-200k in one hand, skip all the remaining blinds to avoid breaking them. I guess the one exception is if there's a boss reroll tag in ante 8 and you don't want to risk facing violet vessel.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't gotten it unlocked yet, am I right in that Jokerless is entirely dependent on how many glass and steel cards the game deigns to give you?

Not necessarily, I posted my run earlier. I didn't really have many of those but I beat it thanks to flushes and Telescope. I definitely got lucky though. You'll need a bunch of reloads but it's not much worse than gold stakes.

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 25, 2024

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

seconding "how the hell are people beating Jokerless?" but also Golden Needle. Just no clue what to do on those beyond "get really, really lucky with glass cards"

and like I just finished grinding gold stakes so I'm at least not awful at this game right :shobon:
trip report: eat poo poo, golden needle

"live by the stuntman, die by the stuntman" pays off again. final hand did 219k or something and could even have been better if CH hit Cavendish/Hologram (since Acrobat's an uncommon, and Hologram is at x2 x1.5 there which is the same as x3) but I'm just glad my first actual run didn't get ranched by the final boss (didn't have a reroll voucher nor would I have rerolled if I did because VV's a run ender)

mvp looks like the stuntman being holographic to get me an extra joker slot, but it was really the Delayed Gratification I had for antes 2-7, that thing is insane when it poops out $14 per blind

edit: oh yeah, stupid question that I swear is not a humblebrag: I beat every deck on Gold Stake but I can't get the steam achievement to pop. Is there some specific way to trigger that, or to make the game recheck for it or something?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 25, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Seriously, why does Balatro keep slapping polychrome or holographic or whatever on these loving expiration cards? :psyduck:

In other words:

e:

I somehow won that Purple Stake after getting super lucky with skip rewards and Joker offerings. I ended up getting two bonus money skips and sold my Popcorns to flip them into the Joker set you see above. Combine that with the voucher that decreases your Ante by one to give me extra time to fish for a good mult card and boom, stake finished. Just the absolute dumbest run with the dumbest luck.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 25, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

Not necessarily, I posted my run earlier. I didn't really have many of those but I beat it thanks to flushes and Telescope. I definitely got lucky though. You'll need a bunch of reloads but it's not much worse than gold stakes.

Yeah, in my experience Telescope is incredibly valuable in Jokerless runs - if you can get one early on, it massively boosts your chances of doing well in the run.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I read somewhere that High Card is a good hand to boost, but when I try it it doesn't give any chips because I don't have the joker that makes all the other cards count. Is there a way around this? I just had a run with the joker that makes clubs/spades and hearts/diamonds count the same, and levelled up flush, but still couldn't get past ante 3 because I couldn't get the scores up without any X-mult jokers dropping. No idea how I'm supposed to win at this game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pisshead posted:

I read somewhere that High Card is a good hand to boost, but when I try it it doesn't give any chips because I don't have the joker that makes all the other cards count. Is there a way around this? I just had a run with the joker that makes clubs/spades and hearts/diamonds count the same, and levelled up flush, but still couldn't get past ante 3 because I couldn't get the scores up without any X-mult jokers dropping. No idea how I'm supposed to win at this game.
Jokers that give raw chips would be a good option there - Square Joker, Blue Joker, even Scary Face will give 30 which is the same as using a Bonus Card from the Hierophant - but in general I don't tend to build high card because something like Pair is almost as easy to make and gives you twice as many scoring cards.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Late game (going into endless) it seems like the two main archetypes are to go all in on high card / pair or to go all in on flush fives / flush houses. Basically play one or two cards with massive boosts from hand or play 5 glass red seal cards.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pisshead posted:

When people talk about a "high card" build, they mean one or more of three things:

1) They have a way to level up high card to ridiculous levels (basically Burned Joker)
2) They have a joker loadout that provides a high scoring chips+mult base regardless of what hand they play, so it doesn't really matter what they play and high card is as good as anything
3) They have a deck full of copied cards that give them a boost for being held in hand (red seal + steel cards, kings or queens with the Baron or Black Queen jokers) and they get a better score by playing as few cards as possible in order to rack up as many held-in-hand bonuses as they can

The value from cards played tends to be fairly low in the long run, barring glass/foil/holographic/polychrome cards or specific jokers that give you x-mult from cards played.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

When people talk about a "high card" build, they mean one or more of three things:

1) They have a way to level up high card to ridiculous levels (basically Burned Joker)
2) They have a joker loadout that provides a high scoring chips+mult base regardless of what hand they play, so it doesn't really matter what they play and high card is as good as anything
3) They have a deck full of copied cards that give them a boost for being held in hand (red seal + steel cards, kings or queens with the Baron or Black Queen jokers) and they get a better score by playing as few cards as possible in order to rack up as many held-in-hand bonuses as they can

The value from cards played tends to be fairly low in the long run, barring glass/foil/holographic/polychrome cards or specific jokers that give you x-mult from cards played.

The long run doesn't apply to me, I'm losing on ante 2-4. I used to be able to get to 6-7 but seem to be going backwards.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pisshead posted:

The long run doesn't apply to me, I'm losing on ante 2-4. I used to be able to get to 6-7 but seem to be going backwards.

What you want to focus on is mostly #2 on that list. Your average run probably doesn't need to hinge on a specific hand, you just want whatever will give you chips and mult. Early on you play whatever moderately good hands you can (usually mostly flushes with the odd straight or full house) and from there the best route to improving score is usually jokers that add chips/mult that aren't tied to specific hands.

#3 is more geared towards endless (it will crush ante 8 if you get a chance to get going but it's harder to get it off the ground fast enough) and #1 tends to rely on very specific sources of hand levels.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I just had a run where I had several mult-x jokers, and one bad round where nothing came up wrecked it. It's pretty demoralising because I have to get through ten garbage runs to get one where there's a chance of winning, then I lose on ante 5 or something. How do I get better jokers more consistently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

On high antes you just simply lose a significant portion of your runs without any decisions you make having an impact, quite often in like ante 2 or 3 due to just not getting shops that have anything actually useful in them.