Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

National Parks posted:

I did indeed say actors of which the US and the Biden administration are.

See you constantly running defense for the administration every single time anyone brings up their culpability, as you have been arguing on this very page.

I've stated that Biden can not single handedly end the genocide that Israel has been committing against Palestine for decades. How is that genocide denialism of Palestine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Kalit posted:

I've stated that Biden can not single handedly end the genocide that Israel has been committing against Palestine for decades. How is that genocide denialism of Palestine?

Because the US is fundamentaly intertwined with the genocide in Palestine and denying Bidens culpability in it is a fundamentaly naive position that basically endorses Israel's right to continue its extermination campaign?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Kalit posted:

How morally culpable do you think he is for this current round of slaughter in watch over 30'000 have been killed, and do you think he should face consequences in courts of international law? If not, why not?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

How morally culpable do you think he is for this current round of slaughter in watch over 30'000 have been killed, and do you think he should face consequences in courts of international law? If not, why not?

I don't mean to deflect with my question below as I would gladly see Biden face charges at the ICJ if that were possible. I'm literally actually curious if there's precedent;

Has anyone ever been charged or convicted for materiel support of a genocidal state in the past? Like aside from the Holocaust most other nations involved in genocide were dependent on foreign imports. However I think it's also arguable with the information we have that Israel is uniquely relying on one other state for materiel to conduct their genocidal military campaign.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
It's not just the 100 arms transfers that the Biden administration has done since Oct 7th but the diplomatic cover. Every day the state department ghouls come out and say they're worried or concerned. All of it just PR to make liberals feel better. The US pulling funding at the same time as the ICJ ruling hit should be a radicalizing moment if you were on the fence.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Looking at Rwanda and other recent cases, convicting anyone of genocide seems to require specific intent that is difficult to prove in court.

The public statements by some Israeli government ministers might be adequate to show intent much as the radio broadcasts in Rwanda did.

But no, sending weapons to Israel isn't going to end you up in the Hague, the statements by Biden and others to avoid civilian casualties and to permit aid, useless as they may be, are a pretty solid defense as they show a lack of intent.

Showing the level of deliberate intent to kill isn't easy. Smart genocidaires don't write poo poo down. "Taking notes on a criminal conspiracy", etc.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Not to mention that the US literally has a directive to invade the Hague if any member of the US military gets convicted there. It's certainly completely outside the realm of possibility, more a thought experiment of what might happen in a world where international justice meant anything. I mainly just get a bit sickened by people who will exscuse or attempt to minimize the US role in enabling and supporting Israels genocide because their favoured political party is in charge. I think it's moral cowardice, especially if they would be acting completely differently if it was trump doing the exact same things.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

https://twitter.com/stephensemler/status/1771607634270961888

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

I'm sure he packaged those weapons with a stern letter of disapproval about killing women and children

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

gently caress. Im paying almost 100K in taxes this year.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RoboBoogie posted:

gently caress. Im paying almost 100K in taxes this year.

Pre-war lira?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Imagine if it was any other country that was killing tens of thousands of women and children, and it was a republican president in office, giving billions in weapons to that country. The liberals would be frothing with righteous anger over it. But because it's Israel and it's Biden, they equivocate, minimize and deflect. Absolute moral depravity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ed: nope

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 24, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Now that you've done Ukraine, you should also do China. That'll really show us.

"Open opposition" is a credulous read. It's the same hall pass poo poo as always. You always get a few Democrats voting against their own bills when it doesn't matter and won't affect the outcome. Until these people stop supporting Biden for President, there's no reason to think they're serious.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What is your point? Neither Ukraine nor Russia are committing genocide, either. Israel is. That is the whole loving point. This is about Israel, not China, not Russia, not “tankies” which seems to have lost all meaning at this point if a “tankie” is someone who is disgusted by Biden arming Israel, the side with all the tanks and not the people who want to minimize his culpability.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
You need to show some media literacy and trust the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation before you get banned for genocide denial, buddy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The US should deliver tens of thousands of pounds of fully armed munitions to every IDF base and out post until the genocide stops, imo

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Esran posted:

You need to show some media literacy and trust the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation before you get banned for genocide denial, buddy.
It’s genocide denialism if you don’t believe everything the guy who wrote this book says:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Who can say what is and is not a genocide? With "doing a Holocaust" now reduced to a descriptor for using a plastic straw, and Chinese curry sauce having completely colonised the traditional chip shop? It is such an abstract and abstruse phenomenon. I'm sure we'll recognise it when we see one though.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What is your point? Neither Ukraine nor Russia are committing genocide, either. Israel is. That is the whole loving point. This is about Israel, not China, not Russia, not “tankies” which seems to have lost all meaning at this point if a “tankie” is someone who is disgusted by Biden arming Israel, the side with all the tanks and not the people who want to minimize his culpability.

Russia isnt committing Genocide? Its just a bit of friendly ethnic cleansing between neighbors eh?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Imagine if it was any other country that was killing tens of thousands of women and children, and it was a republican president in office, giving billions in weapons to that country.
Judging by the Saudi Arabian intervention in Yemen my guess would be very few Americans would know or care about it?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 24, 2024

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

skipmyseashells posted:

As a Muslim it’s so disgusting to see that being used as a ban reason while people can freely hasbara post and do real genocide denialism on Palestine, insanely islamaphobic act during Ramadan of all months too

Seconding. The discourse and lopsided moderation here really disgusts me and reminds me of how marginalized my voice is in the rest of society. I’d post here but it’s clear there’s no space for it.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Who can say what is and is not a genocide? With "doing a Holocaust" now reduced to a descriptor for using a plastic straw, and Chinese curry sauce having completely colonised the traditional chip shop? It is such an abstract and abstruse phenomenon. I'm sure we'll recognise it when we see one though.

What does curry sauce have to do with genocide?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Anyone denying genocide should be banned, whether they are defending Israel, Russia, the US, China, the UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, or the multitudes of other governments both historically and presently committing or abetting it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's pretty funny that whataboutism is the only defense left to Israel supporters.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fuschia tude posted:

What does curry sauce have to do with genocide?

The curry sauce is ideology.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Judging by the Saudi Arabian intervention in Yemen my guess would be very few Americans would know or care about it?

Yeah, most Americans don't know or care about the other genocides and atrocities the US has supported. The main reason this one is getting so much attention is because it's being done by a country so tightly allied with the US, with such a strong media presence that has been so used to justifying what they do to Palestinians.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes they are.

run on sentience posted:

Anyone denying genocide should be banned, whether they are defending Israel, Russia, the US, China, the UK, Canada, Japan, Australia, or the multitudes of other governments both historically and presently committing or abetting it.

This, pretending to hold the high ground while saying other atrocities aren't happening really just shows you are in this as a team sport.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hear hear! I have long thought that we should exclude from these discussions anyone posting positively about multiple-genocide-complicit terror state, The United States of America

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

run on sentience posted:

Mods, please ban my posting enemies for wrongthink. Anyone who questions the accuracy of accusations does not belong on these forums. This has never steered us wrong before, everyone remembers the ironclad evidence Colin Powell shared at the UN, that poor Nayirah girl, and all the WMDs we found in Iraq.

I don't want to live in a world where you can't trust evangelical nutjobs and the State Department. If they say it's more than human rights abuses but actual genocide, we should ban discussion of whether that's an accurate description, because why wouldn't it be?

When Wikipedia has to rename their article on the subject because "Uyghur Genocide" is considered to be a slanted decription, that must just be because they're all tankies.

Most importantly, I should be allowed to run interference for Israel in the I/P thread, by pretending that everyone condemning the US in strong terms is not doing so in good faith, but are engaging in "team sports", because otherwise why wouldn't they agree with me that China is doing a genocide comparable to the one in Gaza?

Esran fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 24, 2024

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
In "you couldn't torture me into admitting this" news, an Israeli General got big mad that a US official confronted him with a UN report about sexual abuse of Palestinians behind closed doors so he went and told the press about it.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

socialsecurity posted:

Yes they are.

This, pretending to hold the high ground while saying other atrocities aren't happening really just shows you are in this as a team sport.

You’ve said before the houthis are doing ethnic cleansing to downplay whatever israel is doing. Everyone bringing up China when they haven’t killed 0.1% of what israel has done is pathetic, which is why you have to talk about it in vague terms like you do.

And those same Chinese Muslims are all against Israel too, only team sports being played are you random posters acting like what China is doing is anywhere similar to this hyper genocide

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Just so this thread doesn't get too up its own rear end:

Israel will no longer approve aid convoys by the UNRWA, a decision they're coincidentally announcing at the same time the Americans defund that program for "at least the next year" (never coming back, it's been ACORN'ed).

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/unrwa-says-israel-will-no-longer-approve-its-food-convoys-northern-gaza-2024-03-24/

It's almost like the US and Israel are collaborating on this genocide.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 24, 2024

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Esran posted:

Israel will no longer approve aid convoys by the UNRWA, a decision they're coincidentally announcing at the same time the Americans defund that program for "at least the next year" (never coming back, it's been ACORN'ed).

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/unrwa-says-israel-will-no-longer-approve-its-food-convoys-northern-gaza-2024-03-24/

Really clear evidence of American participation in a genocide here.

Actively enabling starvation in Gaza while we pretend to build a pier that *might* bring in supplies in two months.

Meanwhile Israel staged mass executions at Al-shifa hospital within the last week.

And the we've stalled at 30000 dead for months.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Esran posted:

fwiw I'm pretty sure unrwa has secured enough funding and future funding to continue to operate, it just... could do a lot more if the usa turned the spigot back on. They're also working with agencies and orgs that are still funded (e: by the US). It's just a really stupid way to handle it when unrwa is right there and has tons of established organization and a good bit of established infrastructure.

Some of that future funding is contingent on the full investigation report and some limp-rear end 'reforms'. They can do the second one and I very much doubt the full report is going to look any better for Israeli lies than the interim one.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 24, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Goatse James Bond posted:

fwiw I'm pretty sure unrwa has secured enough funding and future funding to continue to operate, it just... could do a lot more if the usa turned the spigot back on. They're also working with agencies and orgs that are still funded. It's just a really stupid way to handle it when unrwa is right there and has tons of established organization and a good bit of established infrastructure.

Some of that future funding is contingent on the full investigation report and some limp-rear end 'reforms'. They can do the second one and I very much doubt the full report is going to look any better for Israeli lies than the interim one.

I think it's strangely charitable to interpret this as the US simply being stupid.

Anyway, I don't know how the UNRWA will operate if Israel blanket denies them entrance to Gaza. Sadly, they can't just shoot their way past the IDF guards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Esran posted:

I think it's strangely charitable to interpret this as the US simply being stupid.

Anyway, I don't know how the UNRWA will operate if Israel blanket denies them entrance to Gaza. Sadly, they can't just shoot their way past the IDF guards.

Let me rephrase: it doesn't really achieve the Congressional objective of sidelining unrwa (until they shape up or the report exonerates them to Congress' satisfaction blah blah whatever), because other agencies they're giving money to are working with unrwa anyway. It's not as good at helping Gazans as continuing to fund UNRWA, because you're adding unnecessary intermediate layers.

It's not really a policy solution to anything, evil or good, except making legislators look supportive of Israel's campaign against Hamas*. Which, you know, they're legislators, they do this sort of thing sometimes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The article isn't very long but there's language that makes me curious and I simply do not have the time to dig into it right now. It's specifically "aid convoys to the north of Gaza" being interdicted, not (presumably) all entry to all of Gaza. I can make a couple guesses as to what is being distinguished here but that'd just be my gut talking if I don't find a longer or more detailed piece. Possibly from, you know, unrwa.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

unrwa probably prefers not getting direct funding anyway; I bet they’ve asked multiple times for their financial support to be obscured and refracted through other organizations but no administration was brave enough to face headlines of ‘us defunds aid agency’ until Biden swooped in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Let me rephrase: it doesn't really achieve the Congressional objective of sidelining unrwa (until they shape up or the report exonerates them to Congress' satisfaction blah blah whatever), because other agencies they're giving money to are working with unrwa anyway. It's not as good at helping Gazans as continuing to fund UNRWA, because you're adding unnecessary intermediate layers.

It's not really a policy solution to anything, evil or good, except making legislators look supportive of Israel's campaign against Hamas*. Which, you know, they're legislators, they do this sort of thing sometimes.

If the policy goal is to discredit the UNRWA and reduce their role in Gaza, both things Israel has been wanting for a long time, then it seems like a fine solution to me. Even if the US is still indirectly giving them some money, it obviously sends a strong signal to everyone else if the US defunds them directly and Israel starts blocking their shipments.

Biden is raging because he's staring down the barrel of losing the next election due to his support for genocide. He and his party might want to stop passing bills like this if they want to win.

The article isn't very long but there's language that makes me curious and I simply do not have the time to dig into it right now. It's specifically "aid convoys to the north of Gaza" being interdicted, not (presumably) all entry to all of Gaza. I can make a couple guesses as to what is being distinguished here but that'd just be my gut talking if I don't find a longer or more detailed piece. Possibly from, you know, unrwa.

It's hard to tell exactly how much Israel intends to get in the UNRWA's way. They blocked the UNRWA chief from entering Gaza recently, for what it's worth.

Esran fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 24, 2024