Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tesla owners: if you have a newer car and were thinking about buying a CCS1 adapter, I may have one coming in an unopened box that I can sell you at a discount.

Their lovely app told me twice that our referral credit order didn't complete, but then I got two emails with separate tracking numbers saying they were shipping me an adapter. Of course, because it's Tesla, there's no way to speak to a human being, or perform any action outside of what the app allows. I'll try to see if I can return it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Random question for model 3 owners - any idea if a regular old ice car's floor mats will fit? I hear the car doesn't come with any and I am pretty sure tesla aren't going to miss the ones from the ancient Polo I'm trading in which they are surely going to scrap anyway.
Possibly a stupid question, but I don't know if there's anything unusual about the way the model 3's seats are mounted that means a normal car's mats won't fit or whatever

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Random question for model 3 owners - any idea if a regular old ice car's floor mats will fit? I hear the car doesn't come with any and I am pretty sure tesla aren't going to miss the ones from the ancient Polo I'm trading in which they are surely going to scrap anyway.
Possibly a stupid question, but I don't know if there's anything unusual about the way the model 3's seats are mounted that means a normal car's mats won't fit or whatever

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fit".

Since you're referring to "ICE floormats", I'm going to guess your definition is pretty lax, in which case, yes, they will fit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Buy some mats fitted for your new car smh

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hey, I'm fully behind anyone who decides they have better things to spend money on than custom-fitted floor mats.

When I had my first car, custom-fitted floor mats weren't even a thing. You went down to TG&Y and you either picked up the Yosemite Sam floor mats or the Tweety Bird floor mats, the end.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If you use ICE mats in a bev the battery will energize the mats and it's super dangerous. Not only that but ice mats are SAE 1772 and ev mats use 69420.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you're talking about a model that has an ICE and EV version often the answer is no, as they usually have different floorpans. But going between different models entirely, maybe, you just have to measure? You want some way to keep it from sliding under the pedals and getting the jammed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you get audited by the IRS they'll ask if you put ice floor mats in your tesla and if you did then the auditor makes a grumpy face and hands you a bill for $7500

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

I am pretty sure tesla aren't going to miss the ones from the ancient Polo I'm trading in

A few cars from now you should compare notes with Three Olives to see if you have more used car floor mats than he has used car EVSEs.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Selling my car, do you think it’s okay if I keep the floor mats :ohdear:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you advertised your car with fitted floor mats present in the photos, and then take them away after the sale, then you're a dirty liar and possibly a thief.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

L@@K - LIKE NEW 1978 FORD PINTO - CAR ONLY, NO FLOOR MATS!!!!!1

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
What kind of car doesn't come with floor mats? My car came with two different sets.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Only the AWD & Performance Model 3s get floor mats, they suck any way. First thing i did was buy some all weather floor mats from Amazon.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My Y came with basic (but obviously designed for the car) floormats, which I immediately replace with some Amazon-special rubber/plastic all-weather mats.

I think the confusion is that if you order the all-weather mats from Tesla when you order the car, Tesla doesn't include the basic mats, but they ship the all-weathers separately. So you have to take your new floor mats with you when you pick up the new car. That was true for at least a little bit, not sure if they're still doing things that way.

It's a silly outcome from the extreme cost-cutting.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dad's Y came with carpet floor mats. This was yesterday, not sure if things have changed since then.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

cruft posted:

Dad's Y came with carpet floor mats. This was yesterday, not sure if things have changed since then.

That’s probably the real reason it took so long to execute the sale of the car.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Carpet floor mats from other vehicles will probably work in a model 3 (may require some trimming worst case), but all weather liners and the like probably won't because the model 3 has a recess where your feet rest so the floor isn't flat. I have the Tesla OEM all weather liners and they are mostly fine but not without faults, the main two are some sand and grit can get under them near the doors because they leave a small gap, and the driver side one doesn't cover the dead pedal either.

Last I saw, the Long Range and Performance variant Teslas came with floor mats, while the SR+/RWD do not. I have the original floor mats that came with mine on a shelf in my basement.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
it takes like 35 ice mats to craft a frost sword, smh

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

cruft posted:

A few cars from now you should compare notes with Three Olives to see if you have more used car floor mats than he has used car EVSEs.

You joke but I actually really regret not keeping the EVSE. I offered it, Carvana didn't request it and when they listed the car, it wasn't listed with the EVSE. I basically gave it to them for free, they pocketed it and didn't pass it on the the next owner.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I’m pretty sure carvana didn’t give a poo poo about the EVSE and the new owner got it. It takes time, effort, and a human’s attention to collect it, add it to some inventory, and sell it. It wasn’t listed on the sale page because it’s insignificant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Three Olives posted:

You joke but I actually really regret not keeping the EVSE. I offered it, Carvana didn't request it and when they listed the car, it wasn't listed with the EVSE. I basically gave it to them for free, they pocketed it and didn't pass it on the the next owner.

They probably didn't list the door handles either but I bet the new owner got those too

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

They probably didn't list the door handles either but I bet the new owner got those too

They listed and photographed the tire inflation kit that my car didn’t come with when I bought it used in the compartment where the mobile EVSE is supposed to be stored.

Also, the mobile EVSE the car came with broke, if I had already installed my home EVSE, I certainly would have not paid to replace it. Also a lot of electric cars today no longer include EVSEs of any type.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I leased an ioniq5 today. $268/mo 24/12k, 4k down SEL AWD. There are some pretty good ioniq5 and 6 deals out there right now for those looking to lease. I've previously owned a model Y and a Volt, in that order for about 2 years each. Hyundai seems to have a pretty good offering of EVs and they've been making them long enough to learn from their mistakes, I hope. That's what convinced me to give Hyundai a chance. Looking forward to 2 years in this vehicle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

You joke but I actually really regret not keeping the EVSE

I hope it keeps you awake at night

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cruft posted:

Your dad's car is a piece of poo poo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

piece of shYt

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Three Olives should have stripped the car bare imo, put it on cinderblocks and roll those used tires all the way to the bank

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Three Olives should have stripped the car bare imo, put it on cinderblocks and roll those used tires all the way to the bank

It needed 4 new tires, I didn’t replace them on purpose. It’s business.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Speleothing posted:

That will be enough. This thread is for *all* EV's including Teslas

Three Olives posted:

It needed 4 new tires, I didn’t replace them on purpose. It’s business.

*sigh*

No. Comment.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
tired: impressing the homeless guy outside the parking garage with your sweet MachE

wired: bartering scavenged i3 parts with the homeless guy outside the parking garage for random LCD screens to put in your house

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I mean the old car is 100% going to be scrapped by Tesla and I would be surprised if the mats ended up anywhere except landfill, so vOv I don't like stuff getting thrown away if there's an obvious use for it. And I'm not massively loaded so money is still an object. Figured I would ask the question for those model 3 owners in here.

Anyhow it's a long range model 3 so maybe that means it will come with mats anyway I guess.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

BWBD, does this meet the threshold? Do I get the prize?

El Grillo posted:

I don't like stuff getting thrown away if there's an obvious use for it.

:hmmyes: I agree with this take.

Unfortunately, this attutide is resulting in me taking back and driving the 2017 LEAF.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 24, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speleothing is a garbage person, grandpa cruft is a treasure and I wish he would post on the forums and implying he would buy a piece of poo poo car is deeply shameful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/8BeIDIS431I?si=Zo-IC5aEH5naRhn-

tired: fluffdaddy

wired: cruftdaddy

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Living in the Midwest, custom all weathers are almost a requirement if you don’t want your car smelling super musty. I got mine for the Y from Amazon that fit nice and were cheaper than the oem mats. The Bolt has GM all weathers that came with the car but don’t have the best coverage.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

extravadanza posted:

I leased an ioniq5 today. $268/mo 24/12k, 4k down SEL AWD. There are some pretty good ioniq5 and 6 deals out there right now for those looking to lease. I've previously owned a model Y and a Volt, in that order for about 2 years each. Hyundai seems to have a pretty good offering of EVs and they've been making them long enough to learn from their mistakes, I hope. That's what convinced me to give Hyundai a chance. Looking forward to 2 years in this vehicle.

Nice. Dealer or leasing agent?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
2 years on a hyundai/kia sounds about ideal. they're pretty good up to 4-5 but then after that start rattling to pieces I find.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I actually saw a fisker ocean on the highway today. Had ro do a double take and let it pass to be sure. Pretty decent looking SUV but I’d be nervous to own one if they don’t stick around for a few years.

E: Pretty sure it was brand new too as it had a paper license plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Battery tech stuff: apparently you can just buy sodium ion 18650's on Aliexpress now? Feels like they've been "coming soon" for years now but finally it's an actual product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zcI1GrkK4

Energy density seems on par with LFP/LiFePO4. The voltage range is bigger than any lithium chemistry which might be inconvenient in some applications but maybe not in EV's? The big advantages are no conflict minerals or rare earth metals at all and a lot more stable and less fire prone than lithium. You can also charge them down to -10C which is better than what LFP can do, and maybe they'll survive more charge cycles? Right now they're expensive but hopefully within a few years we'll see this scaled up.