Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Shoehead posted:

He was a fairly unpopular Minister for Health and is.. I don't know what he's working at atm because they change every few months thanks to the coalition, is he Housing now?

Higher Education. Was talking to my mother earlier and she doesn't like him because of his time as health minister (she works in healthcare). Isn't particularly excited for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shoehead posted:

He was a fairly unpopular Minister for Health and is.. I don't know what he's working at atm because they change every few months thanks to the coalition, is he Housing now?

Higher Ed, likely 1) because he backed SC over Leo, and 2) to make it harder to plot a coup. Though he covered for McEntee at justice during her maternity leave.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's fairly stupid alright, he's a massive dickhead who has failed upwards his whole career. I guess Coveney and Donohue have agreed that he's the right guy to absorb the boot to the balls from the electorate next year and they'll get in there the next swing around.

I'd say this is exactly it. The smarter candidates know they'll be leading FG into wipe-outs and have more opportunities in Europe.
Harris would never have another chance of securing a Taoiseach's pension or even a higher job in the EU. He can go in, bear the brunt and walk away with his triple pension; TD, Minister and Taoiseach.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
are we sure this is not a vampire?

he really has the look of a vampire about him :/

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Every time I see a pic I think budget Josh Hawley.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that's some bullshit about the pensions, i'd make it so they only get the median of all pensioner's incomes :mad:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
They should supersede the previous one, yes.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

crispix posted:

that's some bullshit about the pensions, i'd make it so they only get the median of all pensioner's incomes :mad:

There should be a minimum time to qualify. And if they ever share the role of Taoiseach during a term then they should have to share the pension for it.

Monica Bellucci posted:

They should supersede the previous one, yes.

This too.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
There is (was?) a minimum time to pension if you are in government. Biffo Cowan tried it with his lot. Remember his weird declaration of an election a noticeably odd bunch of days away from his declaration of same that just so happened to be the first day after those he appointed to cabinet qualified.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Or that time near the end of the Cowen government where some TD's held like three plus Ministerships?
I don't know if they got multiple pensions out of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

( If Brian Lenihan was one of the ones I'm thinking of, the multiple pensions point would be moot.)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Note to self, update my address for my polling card

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Note to self, update my address for my polling card

In the time you made this post you could have done that on checktheregister.ie

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://x.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1771532557902889033

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some lad for the cause

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A lot of British have taken to calling the Republic "Southern Ireland", so maybe he has a point.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

PowerBeard posted:

A lot of British have taken to calling the Republic "Southern Ireland", so maybe he has a point.

Are we sending them food packages or no, this year?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PowerBeard posted:

Angry Donegal noises ensue. :argh:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Imagine wee Daniel angry at you, Majella'd be sick of your name.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I officially don't give a shite what you call either country as long as it's not done in a posh British accent. If you call it Southern Ireland/South of Ireland, some oval office'll be mad about Donegal. If you call it the Republic of Ireland, some oval office'll be mad cause that's the football team. If you call it Ireland, some oval office'll be mad cause that's the name for the whole island and you're being separatist. If you call it Éire, some gaelcunt'll be mad because you're speaking English and :actually: it should be "Éireann" because of the Tuiseal Guinideach. Everybody just gently caress up.

Save your moaning for when someone says "British Isles" or tries to claim that British athlete Conor McGregor is Irish.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
They can have the rapist oval office.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My point exactly!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Yeah, saw that after I posted and debated doing an E: nm but I will let it stand as a monument to my hubris or idiocy.

In related news, I know a fella hates both McGregor and the Kinahan gang with a fiery passion. He claims (I genuinely don't have a reason to disbelieve him) to have had one-sided run ins with both. McGregor shat himself apparently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Monica Bellucci posted:

Yeah, saw that after I posted and debated doing an E: nm but I will let it stand as a monument to my hubris or idiocy.

In related news, I know a fella hates both McGregor and the Kinahan gang with a fiery passion. He claims (I genuinely don't have a reason to disbelieve him) to have had one-sided run ins with both. McGregor shat himself apparently.

Is your mate a 250lb bare-knuckling champion or something? Or a Regulator?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Retired Commandant. I thought he was making that up initially, turns out nope, he really is. He is also responsible for more than a few of the more famous things he and his got up to. Voracious reader, taught himself Italian so he could read Il Princip in the original Italian.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sounds like either an accomplished liar or else maybe the Irish version of Col. John Matrix, who's to say?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Like I said, I thought he was a bullshit artist the first time I met him but some quiet asking around turns out he's the genuine article. Dunno about the McGregor/Kinahan stuff exactly but there really isn't a reason to lie about it and he absolutely loathes them, especially McGregor. He also projects "Old Man with whom you do not gently caress" energy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Fair enough, although tbh I don't gently caress with most old men. Seems cruel.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
He's been officially making a bunch of claims since 2017 and telling the press to gently caress right off when they want more than his name. There's some videos on youtube and the like although his voice is so loving raspy now I only get about 10% of what he is saying in the flesh.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I officially don't give a shite what you call either country as long as it's not done in a posh British accent. If you call it Southern Ireland/South of Ireland, some oval office'll be mad about Donegal. If you call it the Republic of Ireland, some oval office'll be mad cause that's the football team. If you call it Ireland, some oval office'll be mad cause that's the name for the whole island and you're being separatist. If you call it Éire, some gaelcunt'll be mad because you're speaking English and :actually: it should be "Éireann" because of the Tuiseal Guinideach. Everybody just gently caress up.

Save your moaning for when someone says "British Isles" or tries to claim that British athlete Conor McGregor is Irish.

When it comes to the English/Scottish/Welsh, I think the beat you can hope for is that they say nothing or as little as possible. Since that way they aren't saying anything offensive.

The more that they talk about Angelo-Irish affairs, the more likely you are to get a Michael Gove writing an article about how they could have beaten the IRA and won the Troubles if only they didn't bow to political pressure and give up.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'd an aunt through marriage who was a bit of a wazzock and she asked a waiter in all seriousness for an ulster fry while on holiday in cornwall :slick:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Was very funny seeing my Tory parents visit me here in tipp and spot a memorial to some IRA lads from the village who died in the war in 1920.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Lyn, these are RA people!!!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

My partner is English and it's fun taking them to places like that. Good egg politically, just have to keep reminding.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When I first moved here I was in Clane and they have a lot of plaques all over the village about its role in the 1798 rebellion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Posted this a few times already, but when I moved to Cork City from the north, we used a local taxi cab a lot.
One the drivers decided to let me know he was ex-RA, spent time in Maze prison in the 80s.
And on various trips he would take a street or two detour to show me places of 'interest'. Like where the brits shot up the mayor in his house, where some man would attack the
then brit controlled army base every day for weeks, small plaques everywhere.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
did he charge you for the detour?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It sounds like those Ghost Bus tours of Dublin but in a taxi.

A Black and Tan Cab ride?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they have taxi tours in belfast that show you all troubles stuff

titanic and troubles are the two big tourist money spinners round them parts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

they have taxi tours in belfast that show you all troubles stuff

titanic and troubles are the two big tourist money spinners round them parts

I've done that - my American father-in-law was quoting Parnell and Collins to our driver while he got more and more red and awkward lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

did he charge you for the detour?

Nah, cork has a lovely motorway system, its sometimes better to take the back streets at certain parts of the day as its packed.