Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
One thing I found funny watching 3 Body Problem was the realization there’s a very specifically sized knit cap that’s visual shorthand for a character having cancer. I imagine it came to be from people losing their hair from chemo and having to wear the hat to stay warm. In 3BP he eschews radiation and still has a full head of hair, but he starts wearing the hat anyway because that’s what you do when you have cancer I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I know. I've seen the film.

The goofiness was the physics argument not that the Cultural Revolution happened. And they made the Netfllix title 3 Body Problem. The book title is Three Body Problem in English.

I sure hope not because it's stupid as hell.

3 and Three both mean III

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Only a couple episodes into it, but they made some smart decisions in adapting 3 Body Problem -- mainly not holding back on Ye Winjie's identity and actions, and the nature of the problem in the video game. The book makes a mystery out of all these things, and the show would not have been able to sustain these for 8 episodes.

And they're compressing the future characters into the present ones, cancer guy, CIA guy, Jin/Xin being the protagonist from the very start. They don't need these characters for a long time but they're already laying the brickwork.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 24, 2024

BreakPoint
Mar 22, 2024
https://twitter.com/MaxCEEUpdates/status/1769778377542504644

Attention X JAKK , this is happening!!!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Groovelord Neato posted:

IAnd they made the Netfllix title 3 Body Problem. The book title is Three Body Problem in English
some Netflix associate producer was all “if we get the show to appear first when the app displays shows in lexicographic order we can juice our viewing numbers by 0.73% and increase top-level conversions by 0.0046%, ensuring Reid Hoffman can buy a new yacht this quarter”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Khanstant posted:

3 and Three both mean III

I only recognize the number threeve

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Rocky V plus Rocky II equals...Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Lord of the Rings Part Deux: The II Towers

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

seems like a real good idea to have your series open with people cheering on while a teacher gets beaten to death

The series has a lot of connection to the cultural revolution, both in the brutal killing being an inciting event for the "humanity sucks" action of telling the aliens to come get us and also the general paranoia of the ultimate weapon being to basically tell on someone which will both draw negative attention to you and your target, and the only safe course of action being to keep your head down. Also the idea that doing what you need to do to survive can make you morally inexcusable to people who didn't have to live through the same circumstances. There's a Chinese saying I've heard a few times that's something like 'a good person can be old but there aren't any old people that are good' (because the current ones all had to make it through the cultural revolution). It's stuff I've seen related to the cultural revolution before so it's neat to see it given a sci fi framing. Obviously if you're Chinese you have to step extremely lightly when dealing with these themes.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched the first episode of 3 Booty Problems because of the response itt, and I'm getting a real "god's not dead" vibe from how these scientists are portrayed. it's the only way to explain why they're so casually bummed that their careers are completely upended by unexplained phenomena. "oh no science can't explain the particle accelerators, that sucks. so weird." feels like the show is aiming to do the whole damon-lindelof-y "maybe it's not god. hmm, but, what if...? can your science explain... thiiisss??? hmmmmm????" if you're a scientist in that situation you're either very publicly losing your mind or loving elated. (and don't bring up the scientist who committed suicide, it's effectively text at this point that she did that because of the spooky numbers, not out of professional anxiety or mental illness.)

I'm sure there's some cultural commentary or context from the original work that I'm missing, or that is missing in this adaptation so far. But frankly I went in with little faith in the guys who drove game of thrones off a cliff because they thought they were going to direct a star war, and who wanted to do an adaptation of an alternate history american confederacy, and I feel like I'm being set up to feel very vindicated.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Mindy Kaling must be stopped at any cost.

*Aims radio telescope at the sun and invites aliens to eat the whole drat planet as long as they get her as part of the deal*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There are maybe 50 Mindy Kaling fans in the world, and they all review TV shows professionally.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Velma season 2 totally got greenlit on the back of the initial "hate watching" and I'd be shocked if it gets any further than that.

In other news, a somewhat more interesting "look who hates this" marketing campaign just dropped:

https://twitter.com/NomiMalones/status/1771632844692967814?t=jYewy-FCotdM2QtRX2SLSg&s=19

(I have no idea how "real" these ads are, but that barely means anything these days anyway)

edit: For those who aren't Twitter-poisoned enough to know this, apparently the alt-right has seemed Sydney Sweeney "anti-woke" because she's blonde and has boobs, or something. I dunno it's bizarre and I wish these people would just admit they're horny

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 24, 2024

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

kalel posted:

I watched the first episode of 3 Booty Problems because of the response itt, and I'm getting a real "god's not dead" vibe from how these scientists are portrayed. it's the only way to explain why they're so casually bummed that their careers are completely upended by unexplained phenomena. "oh no science can't explain the particle accelerators, that sucks. so weird." feels like the show is aiming to do the whole damon-lindelof-y "maybe it's not god. hmm, but, what if...? can your science explain... thiiisss??? hmmmmm????" if you're a scientist in that situation you're either very publicly losing your mind or loving elated. (and don't bring up the scientist who committed suicide, it's effectively text at this point that she did that because of the spooky numbers, not out of professional anxiety or mental illness.)

I'm sure there's some cultural commentary or context from the original work that I'm missing, or that is missing in this adaptation so far. But frankly I went in with little faith in the guys who drove game of thrones off a cliff because they thought they were going to direct a star war, and who wanted to do an adaptation of an alternate history american confederacy, and I feel like I'm being set up to feel very vindicated.

Yeah in the books I hated every single character as well as the general society the characters existed in. Other than that they were good. I should really try watching the show.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Sir Lemming posted:

Velma season 2 totally got greenlit on the back of the initial "hate watching" and I'd be shocked if it gets any further than that.

In other news, a somewhat more interesting "look who hates this" marketing campaign just dropped:

https://twitter.com/NomiMalones/status/1771632844692967814?t=jYewy-FCotdM2QtRX2SLSg&s=19

(I have no idea how "real" these ads are, but that barely means anything these days anyway)

the left one is real

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

whoa some dudes on twitter hated the movie, check it out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I assume they said to make 2 seasons at once before anyone saw the first one to like it or hate it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Gripweed posted:

There are maybe 50 Mindy Kaling fans in the world, and they all review TV shows professionally.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sir Lemming posted:

Looks like they hired the Your Mom Hates Dead Space campaign marketers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKkPFDEiC6Q

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

edit: For those who aren't Twitter-poisoned enough to know this, apparently the alt-right has seemed Sydney Sweeney "anti-woke" because she's blonde and has boobs, or something. I dunno it's bizarre and I wish these people would just admit they're horny

I will watch that this weekend, which I'm now realizing is easter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kalel posted:

The explanation is pretty dumb. The aliens have what amounts to a magical probe that flies around loving up our scientific instruments all the time. I was expecting something more interesting and disturbing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Walter Peck in 1984: (literally gets a load of marshmallow goo dropped on him after seeing a gigantic marshmallow man walk down the streets of New York City)
Walter Peck in 2024: "No eye witnesses."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I blame Stranger Things for igniting a renewed nostalgia baiting interest in Ghostbusters treating it as a beloved family values classic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Immaculate is pretty much everything those posters say and it ruled

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
lmao i am real sorry for making a stupid joke and creating an even more stupid (somehow) derail

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Hackers film 1995 posted:

yesterday i was talking to someone about beetlejuice and then it became about how much we love michael keaton and then i just rewatched birdman for the 50th time. jesus i love that movie. this may be one of my favorite scenes in any film ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoj1SKkvj8E

such believable emotion from keaton only to psych everyone out lol. so good

i love birdman so much

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I just found out Arnold’s character’s name in Commando is “John Matrix.”

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

they completed this "franchise" as a 2d sidescroller or some poo poo

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sunk Dunk posted:

Every 80 action hero was named John.

John Matrix
John Rambo
John McClane

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

reignofevil posted:

they completed this "franchise" as a 2d sidescroller or some poo poo
I played the first game and it was... fine, I guess. Nothing special at all. I was going to say that by the time the second one came out I had fallen out of the Penny-Arcade fandom but apparently the second game came out the same year, five months after the first one. I never played it and don't know anyone else who did either.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
penny arcade? Jesus I haven't been to their website in years. Aside from PAX are they still even remotely relevant?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I didn't mean to start a conversation about penny arcade or their game I just thought that ad was funny

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Sunk Dunk posted:

Welcome back Sunk. So glad you could make it!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

hope wired user ddf is still homicidally mad about penny arcade to this day

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
We should cut down the penny arcade chat and pivot to slash dot.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Matt Baume has a great piece about a historic British film that helped bring down that county’s ban on homosexuality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0nkN8MabA

Wildest aside from this is how there was a film version of The Trials of Oscar Wilde that had to depict him as straight.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

penny arcade? Jesus I haven't been to their website in years. Aside from PAX are they still even remotely relevant?

I'm pretty sure they sold pax to reedpop (a corporation that puts on nerd conventions). That should have made them each enough money to retire and raise their kids. Bloggers as influencers teetered out once people could make a living from youtube and the audience didn't need to do the work of reading anymore.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Cubone posted:

I didn't mean to start a conversation about penny arcade or their game I just thought that ad was funny

cuboned again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Vakal posted:

Every 80 action hero was named John.

John Matrix
John Rambo
John McClane

Fuckin lazy rear end boomers