Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

trashy owl posted:

I've built two telecasters and now a jazzmaster this year already and I am so tired of hammering things into guitars.

did you have protruding frets as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Mallet is Murder

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

mewse posted:

did you have protruding frets as well?

No, string ferrules and bridge thimbles were the only things being malleted in.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Broke: soldering
Woke: fixing wiring to the body with nails

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

hit it with a hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_z2xWjlK9U

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hell yeah

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what if i just got two humbucker size p90s and put them in this strat

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

landgrabber posted:

what if i just got two humbucker size p90s and put them in this strat

If it fits, it sits

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone in the thread had periods of time where they have struggled with motivation to play? Let alone practise.

What resolved that? Or maybe it’s nothing to worry about?

I’m currently in that a bit but I’m hoping it’s mostly down to my teacher taking an extended break of a few months. Sorry if this is all a bit e/n.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone in the thread had periods of time where they have struggled with motivation to play? Let alone practise.

I’m currently in that a bit but I’m hoping it’s mostly down to my teacher taking an extended break of a few months. Sorry if this is all a bit e/n.

All the time. Or sometimes I'll sit down and practice with a specific goal in mind and I can't make myself do the work so I fart around with something else.

Yes, I do have ADHD.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Yeah, pretty frequently. I've had a lifelong issue with pretty severe depression so sometimes the negative self-talk gets overwhelming and I won't touch the guitar for a while, sometimes for a couple of weeks. I've quit playing for years at different points in my life. I don't know if there is something specific that will always work to get motivated but a couple things that have helped are listening to new music, letting myself just play without working on anything in particular, learning some dead-rear end simple song to give myself a "win", or playing songs I already know backwards and forwards. You were saying that your motivation lessened when your teacher went on hiatus; maybe you could see if you have any friends who play
that want to play together?

Also, sometimes its ok to take a break. If you're not feeling it right now, that's not the end of the world. The key is to be kind to yourself and remember its a hobby, not a job. I think a lot of people, myself included, think we need to be constantly improving and practicing and progressing but we really don't. The point is that its supposed to be fun. If its not fun right now, maybe come back to it in a few days.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Red_Fred posted:

This happens to me all the time. Not just with guitar, but other hobbies as well. Sometimes life happens and I just don’t have the energy for something. Other times I have the energy but just don’t feel like doing something. I’ve found it’s best not to force it, just do something else and you’ll eventually find inspiration :)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Red_Fred posted:

Right now. It must be because I don't have the right gear *goes back to planning the "perfect" pedalboard*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Red_Fred posted:

Buying new gear will solve that problem forever

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Working on technique when you’re in a burnout phase can keep your fingers moving when you’re lacking motivation. When the motivation returns you’ll be better off for it than having let the instrument stayed untouched and you can kind of shut off your brain doing technique in a therapeutic sort of way. Though that won’t be the same for everyone.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I have something that kind of rhymes with this ADHD/Depression you guys talk about but entirely undiagnosed and it has cost me decades of guitar practice and progress over my life. The best thing I've found that has brought me back to practicing has been ACTUALLY LISTENING TO MUSIC that inspires me and sitting down and trying to work it out because I love it, instead of embalming myself in podcasts and doomscrolling trump news and such. Listen to music, unplug from the drama, touch the guitar and not the keyboard, not the phone.

edit: actually I'll change my answer to this one:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

thread title

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i have 11 guitars, some bad depression and adhd, and absolutely no songs or riffs recorded to show for it. every 2 weeks i have my guitar lesson and have to bullshit about what it was I did those last 2 weeks, my guitar teacher is very patient.

sometimes I do have the motivation, but then my adhd makes me overwhelmed on how to go about practicing, writing, recording, or whatever and thats really loving frustrating

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks thread. That has made me feel better about it and hopefully also given me some motivation to get back at it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I took a 5+ year hiatus and the thing that got me playing again was watching Bocchi the Rock lmao

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i have 11 guitars

That’s it? Those are rookie numbers, you gotta pump those numbers up

rio
Mar 20, 2008

They say money can’t buy happiness but if that’s true why am I so happy when I buy gear??

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

rio posted:

They say money can’t buy happiness but if that’s true why am I so happy when I buy gear??

I was going to say Walrus Audio, but Dwarfcraft is also acceptable.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Listening to all sorts of music and buying and learning cheap instruments I haven't before (piano, violin) is actually weirdly refreshing me with guitar and I recommend it.

The downside is instead of fifty pedals and twenty guitars I want one really nice acoustic and electric guitar each, but then like one nice instrument for five other instruments so really I'm wasting just as much money.

But I'm playing way more!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm lucky that I have a bass I can switch to, but I am trying to be a lot kinder to myself and remember that this is supposed to be fun. If I'm feeling depressed or anxious, I find it really hard to focus on guitar.

I really struggle with finding songs to learn - a lot of music I like doesn't work well with a single guitar or can be too simple or too idiosyncratic for me at my current level.

However, I recently bought a Patreon subscription to "Let's Play All" after having a bit of luck with playing Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart by STP from his YouTube channel and I like his teaching style - very much acknowledging that even the artists themselves will vary how they play things and that you don't need to hit every mute or whatever.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My motivation almost always just comes from hearing something sick and going “I’ve gotta play that”.

I know it’s not universally true but my lived experience is that (on the amateur level) the amount of guitars you own is inversely proportional to the amount of guitar you play. I currently own 1 electric 1 acoustic 1 bass, and I play nearly every day and try to record / put out something once a week. Every single one of my non-gigging “guitar guy” friends owns exponentially more than that, is constantly buying new gear, and as far as I can tell, never plays.

I got really down and frustrated recently when I asked around and 5 of them committed to collaborating with me for one of my stupid videos. I did all of the work, set everything up, and gave everyone 2 weeks to record one loving guitar riff. 100% of them missed the deadline and I got a laundry list of excuses why they weren’t able to and I eventually just had to redo/do the whole thing myself.

The upside is I can usually get really cheap/free stuff from them when they inevitably decide to downsize before buying more stuff again.

Yes I’m very salty.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I really struggle with finding songs to learn - a lot of music I like doesn't work well with a single guitar or can be too simple or too idiosyncratic for me at my current level.

Yeah this pushed me in the direction of solo guitar songs, like classical (lots of modern composers, despite the genre name) and fingerstyle stuff. Here's some of my favorite sources for songs, maybe some will click with you. They all sell tabs/scores.

Justin Johnson
Ariel Posen's Mile End albums
Stephen Bennett
Yenne Lee
Andrew York
Guitar Salon International (usually can find scores somewhere online)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ColdPie posted:

Yeah this pushed me in the direction of solo guitar songs, like classical (lots of modern composers, despite the genre name) and fingerstyle stuff. Here's some of my favorite sources for songs, maybe some will click with you. They all sell tabs/scores.

Justin Johnson
Ariel Posen's Mile End albums
Stephen Bennett
Yenne Lee
Andrew York
Guitar Salon International (usually can find scores somewhere online)

Thank you! So much of the stuff I enjoy gets its appeal to me by layering guitars, sometimes into squalls of sound. And while that's cool and I look forward to experimenting along those lines, it doesn't give me much to play around the bonfire, so to speak, and can sound a bit anemic when broken into single parts.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jamming with other people always lights a fire under my rear end, and Kompoz has been an amazing motivator for me this year. It's an online collaboration platform where members post "want ads" for all sorts of musical endeavors they're working on. I've laid down bass tracks, guitar solos, and tons of other stuff that took me out of my comfort zone, it's been really great. Last week I was offered a paid commission to help this adorable old dude with his Dio-style ancient Greece-themed rock opera.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I'm probably a weird outlier, but the thing that gets me motivated is seeing some kind of improvement, so while learning songs is nice, sometimes I hit a wall with a difficult song and that saps my motivation. I think this is why I've had success sticking to working through a method book. The pieces are difficult at first, but it's nice to go back like 10 pages for warm-up/review and see how much better I've gotten, and it's been interesting to see how the work has improved my playing when I try and learn some new songs from tab.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Listening to all sorts of music and buying and learning cheap instruments I haven't before (piano, violin) is actually weirdly refreshing me with guitar and I recommend it.

The downside is instead of fifty pedals and twenty guitars I want one really nice acoustic and electric guitar each, but then like one nice instrument for five other instruments so really I'm wasting just as much money.

But I'm playing way more!

Yeah same, I also play bass and ukulele

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

I'm probably a weird outlier, but the thing that gets me motivated is seeing some kind of improvement, so while learning songs is nice, sometimes I hit a wall with a difficult song and that saps my motivation. I think this is why I've had success sticking to working through a method book. The pieces are difficult at first, but it's nice to go back like 10 pages for warm-up/review and see how much better I've gotten, and it's been interesting to see how the work has improved my playing when I try and learn some new songs from tab.

this post resonates with me. does anyone have any method books to suggest for people who want to play fast metal things and not strummy chords(although i've been meaning to get more into triads and learning the fretboard to help with theory but that's almost it's own separate thing really)?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

this post resonates with me. does anyone have any method books to suggest for people who want to play fast metal things and not strummy chords(although i've been meaning to get more into triads and learning the fretboard to help with theory but that's almost it's own separate thing really)?

these exist but i get better results from just playing metal songs at the edge of my ability and trying to progressively pick stuff that's a little harder every time

also i get the most results in my metal playing when i'm also "cross training" and working on theory, jazz or blues playing, classic rock, etc. something about putting other genres under your hands makes the metal rhythm clean up also.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

these exist but i get better results from just playing metal songs at the edge of my ability and trying to progressively pick stuff that's a little harder every time

also i get the most results in my metal playing when i'm also "cross training" and working on theory, jazz or blues playing, classic rock, etc. something about putting other genres under your hands makes the metal rhythm clean up also.

yeah, that's kind of how I saw it. Just make sure there's some stuff in there I can actually play with the insane stuff I try my hand at. I reckon the real issue is I need to actually do it instead of just noodling 95% of the time.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
on the topic of wanting to play guitar more often, i want to echo this advice:

* playing music with other people
* actually listening to music as its own activity

and offer some of my own:

give some time to self-gratification! if you can reliably sit down and play something that sounds good and makes you feel good, thats a great way to reinforce your guitar habit.

rigorous practice is important, but forcing yourself to work hard without any gratification can eventually cause you to put down the instrument. for example, even if grinding scales gives faster results, practicing more musical sounding passages can keep you engaged for longer.

have some appreciation for just how vast the undertaking is, give yourself permission to take it one day at a time, accept that you will never be "finished" learning / improving, and celebrate the little wins along the way.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Idk I've been working through Berklee Modern Method which is definitely not fast metal things at all, but the strummy chord training has been pretty good. Lots of the pieces are triad shapes and a big skill check was when it started throwing in the C triad shape (idk what to call it, but it's the low 3 notes of a C open chord, played with pinky on root, ring for major 3rd or middle for minor 3rd, and index finger on 5th) and expecting you to get in and out of this shape from other shapes and also sometimes add the 6th with your ring finger while holding the rest down.

It definitely helped drill in the triad shapes and transitioning to and from each one, which seems like it's useful for soloing/improv since now if I land on a note up the neck, I can find and play other notes a string up or down by finding a triad shape instead of defaulting to thinking about the pentatonic box or whatever.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

yeah, that's kind of how I saw it. Just make sure there's some stuff in there I can actually play with the insane stuff I try my hand at. I reckon the real issue is I need to actually do it instead of just noodling 95% of the time.

a few years ago i just sat down and made a giant spreadsheet of cool thrash songs sorted by bpm and i've been slowly working my way down the list ever since.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

a few years ago i just sat down and made a giant spreadsheet of cool thrash songs sorted by bpm and i've been slowly working my way down the list ever since.

I think I need to do something similar, but also sometimes accept "good enough".

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
this thread has got me amped up, i'm going to practice the guitar this evening after i workout and clean my filthy house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Plz pm spreadsheet to me I need it.