Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
mcmagic would never defend a former Ray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

mcmagic posted:

Do people really think that Bauer isn't an MLB caliber pitcher anymore? Based on what?

Maybe don't.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Mitch Haniger is crushing it this Spring, which is a little annoying

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

mcmagic posted:

Do people really think that Bauer isn't an MLB caliber pitcher anymore? Based on what?

https://youtu.be/k1_sPwkQKJk?si=u3CasBrF5aUvg4Ab

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm not advocating the Yankees or any other team sign him you weirdos. That isn't what I said.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Probably a combination of his actions and personality, but who can say.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Robbie Cano almost went for the cycle too

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1772033508073939052

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I like it, but have no idea why a team from Eastern Washington would be playing it

how could a cubs fan not know that ryne sandberg is from spokane? this is sad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Shohei Ohtani to address theft allegations against interpreter on Monday

lol:

quote:

Roberts said Ohtani had not addressed the situation with his Dodgers team mates as a group, adding he had checked in with the 29-year-old and things appear to be "business as usual."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Now there's a guy the Yankees should look into signing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why did I think Ohtani was still like 26

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Intruder posted:

Robbie Cano almost went for the cycle too

no one should be allowed to mention the cycle until the player hits a triple

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
especially with Cano, that guy has a notable history of messing up the cycle

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

:drat:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Why did I think Ohtani was still like 26

Some of his age is deferred to 2035

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

maffew buildings posted:

:thurman:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

lmao

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

Absolutely not

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

maffew buildings posted:

:fry:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

maffew buildings posted:

Would a Cano even be able to stay on the ballot for all ten years now?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Fate Accomplice posted:

no one should be allowed to mention the cycle until the player hits a triple

Yeah but https://youtu.be/1Z76ikGhpww?si=bCcscl35Rza50K5m

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Inspector_666 posted:

Can he play third? Or first? Or pitch?

I'm very lonely.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://nypost.com/2024/03/25/sports/mlbpa-threatened-players-who-spoke-out-claims-lawyer-at-center-of-union-drama/

posted:

The fight inside the Major League Baseball Players Association took another turn with one side of the warring factions claiming the other was attempting to “bully and intimidate” players into changing their thoughts about the union’s leadership.

Harry Marino has been at the center of an ongoing power struggle in the MLBPA leadership that has pitted the current leadership of Tony Clark and Bruce Meyer against a disgruntled group of players who are concerned with the union’s direction.

The latest salvo came in the form of statements from Marino and former MLBPA employee catcher Josh Thole, both of whom levied serious allegations against the union and specifically director of player services Kevin Slowey.

posted:

“I have received a number of calls from minor-league player reps this week saying that Kevin Slowey called them to bully and intimidate them into changing their opinions on their union’s current direction,” Thole said in a statement, per The Athletic. “I truly don’t know where things went wrong, but this is a sad day. It’s obvious that this is no longer (the late executive director) Michael Weiner’s MLBPA that I remember.”

“It has been shocking and disappointing to hear that several major-league and minor-league players are being threatened, bullied, and retaliated against for having come forward with their honest opinions,” Marino said according to The Athletic. “It is important to remember that federal law protects every union member’s right ‘to express any views, arguments, or opinions’ and ‘to meet and assemble freely with other members.’ Players should never apologize for exercising these rights.”

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Weiner’s CBAs were a complete disaster for the players so it’s weird to see them fighting in his name like he’s some fallen hero

Anyway, it’s disheartening to see dissension among the players like this

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm still hosed up over Ippei being so incredibly lovely with possibly the best traveling job on the planet. The ex-alcoholic in me hopes the dude gets help.

While I don't know what will come out today, I still think Ohtani was bailing out his buddy. I just don't know if Ohtani knew the who or why of the bail out.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

On August 2, 2022, the Reds traded Mahle to the Minnesota Twins in exchange for Spencer Steer, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, and Steve Hajjar. He made 4 starts for the Twins to close out the year, posting a 1–1 record and 4.41 ERA with 12 strikeouts in 16.1 innings pitched. He began the 2023 season in Minnesota's rotation, making 5 starts. In an April 27 outing against the Kansas City Royals, Mahle departed after four innings with what was described as right posterior elbow soreness. He was placed on the 60-day injured list on May 5, with a right arm posterior impingement and flexor pronator strain. It was announced that Mahle would undergo Tommy John surgery, ending his 2023 season. He became a free agent following the season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you will never believe who the Braves just signed to a minor league deal

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Glad to have him back in the org but I dunno how he gets to the roster unless he's willing to ride the bus with Gwinnett until something unexpected happens

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Crime Dog Fred McGriff?

you asked for guesses

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is it Jeff Francoeur? It's Jeff Francoeur isn't it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Orioles are bringing back an old favorite

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/status/1772247184332804552

lol lmao

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat, good for him. I got sober after one ruined career, that's pimp that he doesn't have a problem though, that must make poo poo a lot easier

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If you're Pirates management, why is that not something that is immediately a no-go before you offer a contract?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I dunno, I think playing for the Pirates because no one else wants you is kind of A Problem

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

If you're Pirates management, why is that not something that is immediately a no-go before you offer a contract?

He's cheap

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Prob enjoys the ol' mom boob grab as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cause they are paying him nothing on a flyer and i'm sure if he does anything dumb they can cut him right away.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You'd think after Kang the Pirates would have learned their lesson regarding alcoholic players but I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's the Pirates. Alcoholism is an inevitability