Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I think it’s Tactician+ because legendary actions, action changes, drs stacking, and treasure table changes would still be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My congrations on beating the game but my condolences for having to do it with a controller

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

I mean, you can just continue in dishonor, in which case it’s the same as playing on tactician.

For me at least, the challenge of getting the achievement and dice is the point. After two playthroughs as a Tav and a Durge I don’t really need to see the story again

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 24, 2024

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Hell yeah brother :cheers:

Now join me in the constant, crippling anxiety of honor mode. I’ve only lost my run to failing very easy rolls early in the game like 3 times so far :shepicide:

Which ones? Rescuing Gale is the only roll I can think of where you're just screwed if you roll badly, and that's obviously not even a game over.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

feller posted:

Which ones? Rescuing Gale is the only roll I can think of where you're just screwed if you roll badly, and that's obviously not even a game over.

1. Yeah I somehow failed the DC7 or whatever to get Gale lol. It’s not a game over but I was so mad and it was only like 15 minutes in that I reloaded

2. Bandits on top of Withers tomb. I thought I could easily pass the persuasion check. I was wrong and they wiped me.

3. Entering the blighted village. See above.

With more experience I see how I could have handled most of these better (except Gale which is just a big “gently caress you the dice say you lose”). Have someone hang back out of combat just in case. Avoid these encounters entirely for another level. Etc. I’ve become much more paranoid about the 1% worst possible outcome happening since then.

Once you start getting inspiration points rolling that one on an easy check feels less terrible. But in the opening 30 minutes of the game it loving sucks!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

im at the endgame and all of the fights i have left are very difficult. house of grief is kicking my rear end, orin is kicking my rear end, I haven’t tried gortash or house of hope yet because from what I hear those will also kick my rear end. im level 12. maybe I should swap laezel out for gale but i feel like ill be so squishy with bardadin (i think im level 10 swords bard level 2 pally?) astarion monk/rogue (should i swap out the last rank in monk for the rank in rogue that halves damage?) shart and gale.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

feller posted:

Gith at mountain pass are extremely likely to party wipe you if you or Laez fail your rolls. My party got annihilated before anyone even had a chance to move.

Not roll related but I wiped to the motherspider because I had Astarion scouting ahead to kill eggs and she spotted him. He managed to get away from her and hide again and I was making my way back (in stealth) to the rest of the party (which was near one of the entrances but not immediately next to it) and I think there's some mechanism where Astarion crossed an invisible line which caused her to appear on top of him. She killed him immediately and I had everyone else running for the door but she was now close enough to aggro on the rest of the party and caught them and killed all of us. I was too low a level to kill her down one party member and without the help of falling damage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

im at the endgame and all of the fights i have left are very difficult. house of grief is kicking my rear end, orin is kicking my rear end, I haven’t tried gortash or house of hope yet because from what I hear those will also kick my rear end. im level 12. maybe I should swap laezel out for gale but i feel like ill be so squishy with bardadin (i think im level 10 swords bard level 2 pally?) astarion monk/rogue (should i swap out the last rank in monk for the rank in rogue that halves damage?) shart and gale.

Haste everyone on the first turn and try it again is always my first recommendation if you haven't done that yet. Next would be changing up party composition or trying to get as many undead or elemental helpers or multiclassing, reclassing people.

I was getting my rear end kicked by them at first on my first playthrough too but it was because I wasn't using potions and scrolls as much as I should be and also everyone was their default class (i.e. I think Shart was still trickery and Ast was still arcane rogue and both of those suck poo poo compared to alternative and/or MCing).

Astarion and Laez should each be killing 2 or 3 people per turn.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

House of Grief is doable if you don't fight on their terms by leaving the room after the fight starts so they have to run through a narrow doorway if they want to get you. Also you can always abuse globe of invulnerability.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

1. Yeah I somehow failed the DC7 or whatever to get Gale lol. It’s not a game over but I was so mad and it was only like 15 minutes in that I reloaded

2. Bandits on top of Withers tomb. I thought I could easily pass the persuasion check. I was wrong and they wiped me.

3. Entering the blighted village. See above.

With more experience I see how I could have handled most of these better (except Gale which is just a big “gently caress you the dice say you lose”). Have someone hang back out of combat just in case. Avoid these encounters entirely for another level. Etc. I’ve become much more paranoid about the 1% worst possible outcome happening since then.

Once you start getting inspiration points rolling that one on an easy check feels less terrible. But in the opening 30 minutes of the game it loving sucks!

With some knowledge of the game, it's easy to get through a few of the early encounters that would otherwise steamroll you:

-the brains on the beach, just jump up the cliffside and recruit a few characters first, and then take them out
-the bandits at the tomb, cast illusion to gather them under the hanging stone, and then shoot it to kill them.
-any goblin encounter: just change shape into a drow. This gives the same XP as fighting them.
-for Gale, well, good luck! At least it's early.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Hell yeah brother :cheers:

Now join me in the constant, crippling anxiety of honor mode. I’ve only lost my run to failing very easy rolls early in the game like 3 times so far :shepicide:

I can't imagine doing that last drat fight on honor mode. I might never play the game again

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

My congrations on beating the game but my condolences for having to do it with a controller

I actually like this game more on controller

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I hate the radial interface with controller. I was using the controller on my PC to move and swapping to M/KB when I got into a battle but the WASD movement mod fixed that need for me.

Of course I was a hoarder so I had a gajillion items on the radial menus.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Medullah posted:

I hate the radial interface with controller. I was using the controller on my PC to move and swapping to M/KB when I got into a battle but the WASD movement mod fixed that need for me.

Of course I was a hoarder so I had a gajillion items on the radial menus.

I only keep my favorite attacks on the radial, and at this point it's so fast for me that when I do try mouse and keyboard it takes me a lot longer ha.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

With some knowledge of the game, it's easy to get through a few of the early encounters that would otherwise steamroll you:

-the brains on the beach, just jump up the cliffside and recruit a few characters first, and then take them out
-the bandits at the tomb, cast illusion to gather them under the hanging stone, and then shoot it to kill them.
-any goblin encounter: just change shape into a drow. This gives the same XP as fighting them.
-for Gale, well, good luck! At least it's early.

Yep, these are good tips.

For the beach brains, I wait until the patroller is close to the nautiloid tank (so there are 2 next to it total) and hit it with firebolt. That instakills them, and the last one isn't too tough by itself. For the blighted village, you can climb up some vines nearish to scratch and ambush the goblins if you don't feel like shapeshifting.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

i love honor mode because that's how i played the whole time. :3:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Shard posted:

I actually like this game more on controller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXo8lIo-Yc

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Zodium posted:

i love honor mode because that's how i played the whole time. :3:

I love honor mode because I have Restartitis anyway.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks those are good tips. Which I am sure I will need when I gently caress up and die again. I’m like halfway to level 6 now and things feel a lot less likely to fall apart on one bad roll, but poo poo happens. Got enough hours logged on this run that I’ll probably take a mental health break for a bit if I wipe.

bird with big dick posted:

Astarion and Laez should each be killing 2 or 3 people per turn.

Yeah by late game most of my encounters went: monk Astarion turn. Throwbarb Karlach turn. Oh cool everyone’s dead already. If something significant is still alive, here comes the chain lightning.

Also if you really want to cheese an encounter, just use the illithid ability Perilous Stakes on the most dangerous target. Every attack now does double damage, gg.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

very early game aside, the best thing you can do for survivability in honor mode is to make shadowheart a life domain cleric, buy the whispering promise ring the first time you meet volo in the grove, and pickpocket hellrider's pride off zevlor. that will let you apply bless and blade ward on everyone for two turns with the aoe heal (which restores on short rest) pretty much right off the bat, plus the heals themselves obviously help too.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Heads up perilous Stakes doesn’t work that way in honour mode.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The one time I worked myself up to do an honor mode run it ended after about 15 minutes in that dungeon under the castle ruin right at the start of the game where the game is basically going "hey dummy shoot this barrel of firewine to take out a whole bunch of enemies". I probably wasn't paying enough attention to positioning and combined with a few bad dice rolls it was pretty much lights out right away.

I think I did a pretty good impression of that Seinfeld meme where he throws his hands up and leaves his seat when I walked away from the computer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Also if you really want to cheese an encounter, just use the illithid ability Perilous Stakes on the most dangerous target. Every attack now does double damage, gg.
Pretty sure the higher difficulties now block that.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I think I did a pretty good impression of that Seinfeld meme where he throws his hands up and leaves his seat when I walked away from the computer.
That was Curb.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What is the earliest you can get an inspiration point? Is it worth it to wait until you have at least one so that you can more or less guarantee a win on the Gale freeing test?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Off-hand, dark urge gets,one for curbstomping the dying illithid

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's rather unlikely though not totally impossible to fail the Gale portal check since it requires two failures, the easiest of which is like a DC8. And even then, it's just Gale.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

It's rather unlikely though not totally impossible to fail the Gale portal check since it requires two failures, the easiest of which is like a DC8. And even then, it's just Gale.
Without Gale you can't cheese the endgame.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shumagorath posted:

Does the tactical magic nuke ending count for ending a run and getting the honor mode achievement, companion or origin?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It specifically has to be the one activated via cutscene with Gale in your party at the brainstem for it to count on Honor Mode. It cannot be in Act 2, and you cannot set it off manually during the final battle.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
his epilogue is actually kind of heartbreaking even if I never liked the bastard

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

SlimGoodbody posted:

What is the earliest you can get an inspiration point? Is it worth it to wait until you have at least one so that you can more or less guarantee a win on the Gale freeing test?

I think Laezel's inspiration at the grove, unless you are a Durge.
You can take a potion of strength and pull him out with much better odds.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Shadowheart gets an Inspiration point for reading the book in the tomb where you meet Withers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you really want to powergame it then Shadowheart will get an inspiration point for clubbing her to death, then reviving her with a scroll.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Shumagorath posted:

and Honor Mode is better off for this :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

If you really want to powergame it then Shadowheart will get an inspiration point for clubbing her to death, then reviving her with a scroll.
are the gods truly this petty

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shumagorath posted:

are the gods truly this petty

I think the gods are happy to sit that one out

Also speaking of shadowheart and acolyte inspirations:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

EorayMel posted:

I think the gods are happy to sit that one out

Also speaking of shadowheart and acolyte inspirations:

It's so funny, I've been watching my wife's playthrough and we were cracking up cause she rehabilitated Shadowheart away from her toxic cult, and then listened to her talk about how she wants a little cottage in the country with Tav and lots of pets, so we assumed she was going to be sorta vanilla and emotionally vulnerable now that she had doffed her justiciar ambitions.

Then we find out that the Shar cult has been encouraging everyone to do orgies since forever, and she's extremely down to clown with the drow courtesans, and she wants you to get with Halsin so she can hear all the gory details, and apparently only gets annoyed if you cheat with Mizora because you didn't invite her along. You think you've got this cottagecore tradwife former goth gf and the oops, no, still freaknasty. Good for her.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

edit: nah

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Pretty sure the higher difficulties now block that.

Black Noise posted:

Heads up perilous Stakes doesn’t work that way in honour mode.

yeah I assumed that dude saying he kept dying in act 3 wasn't talking about honor mode. I just finished tactician and it definitely still works there on the current patch.

Probably for the best, it's basically an I Win button for any fight