Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Red Rox posted:

Question: when a player gets traded mid season, does their new team grill them for the strategies/plays of their old team, or is there an unwritten code that you don't ask or tell that stuff?

In the modern era I don't think there are secrets like that, it's all scouted and on tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Red Rox posted:

Question: when a player gets traded mid season, does their new team grill them for the strategies/plays of their old team, or is there an unwritten code that you don't ask or tell that stuff?

Those things aren't secret. Plays are called out on the court where anybody on the other team can hear. Not a secret. Maybe the coach will ask him for gossip about the other coach?

The real secrets are in the front office, team building and financial planning and player negotiations, stuff like that. When a front office person goes to another team, they will almost definitely tell the secrets that they know, sometimes this is why they were hired in the first place.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That Knicks/Raptors lawsuit is interesting for that reason.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Papercut posted:

In the modern era I don't think there are secrets like that, it's all scouted and on tape

https://twitter.com/RTNBA/status/1314702236354703361

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I forget, was it Doc or Thibs who when coaching an all-star game essentially just started calling Miami's offensive sets for funsies

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://youtu.be/jawLXTOGbT8?si=bjuFanmVtkE7Qqie

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dexo posted:

I forget, was it Doc or Thibs who when coaching an all-star game essentially just started calling Miami's offensive sets for funsies

I think that was 4 Boston all stars just started running their sets

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ginamizell/status/1772021193820049469

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/legendz_nba/status/1771711713940816187

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://x.com/GrizzlyMuse/status/1772039337791955372?s=20

It’ll be good to get him some reps before the season’s over.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Steph Curry, 5-11 from three
Naz Reid, 6-8 from three

Naz Reid

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://x.com/GrizzlyMuse/status/1772039337791955372?s=20

It’ll be good to get him some reps before the season’s over.

That is good to hear.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Scoot has not looked amazing this year by any metric, but of recent All-Star guards Fox and Garland both had absolutely horrible rookie seasons too and they turned out okay. I don't think you can read much into a teenager playing point guard in the NBA.

I couldn’t think of anything more frustrating for a veteran NBA player than playing with a teenage point guard.

And I couldn’t think of anything more terrifying for a teenage point guard than to play in the NBA.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

checking in on this:

Zogo posted:

Boston Celtics
Philadelphia 76ers
Orlando Magic
New York Knicks
Milwaukee Bucks
Indiana Pacers
Atlanta Hawks
Miami Heat

Going by SRS/BBR simulations that's the most likely EC playoff outcome at the moment.

Their numbers this year look a lot more like one of the 1990s Vancouver teams.

i think i will not win this prediction after all. cavs arent going to drop out sadly

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I feel like we could see mutiple first round upsets in the east. Because of the Bucks being what they are and the Cavs having their uniquely normal-nba-wing-free-roster

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/ChristopherHine/status/1772096035445186581

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

clear foul

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Didn't Tim Duncan do this a few times? Like he would tell his man he was in the wrong place for the play

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Sabonis just tied Love's double-double streak record. Impressive and also I'm a little surprised that got so little attention. When Love set it in 10-11 it was a mildly big deal.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

When was the last time that four teammates scored 25+ in the same game? Lakers did it last night and I started wondering...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wow, jaylen brown since asb has been putting up 29 ppg on 50/40/60 splits

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Games in league history with 4 players scoring 25+ points for the same team:

Rk,Team,Opp,Date,Count,Player List
1,LAL,IND,2024-03-24,4,Anthony Davis Spencer Dinwiddie LeBron James Austin Reaves
2,UTA,MIL,2021-02-12,4,Jordan Clarkson Rudy Gobert Joe Ingles Donovan Mitchell
3,BOS,MIN,2020-02-21,4,Jaylen Brown Gordon Hayward Jayson Tatum Daniel Theis
4,NOP,HOU,2019-12-29,4,Lonzo Ball Jrue Holiday Brandon Ingram E'Twaun Moore
5,NYK,DET,2006-12-27,4,Jamal Crawford Eddy Curry Channing Frye Stephon Marbury
6,DAL,WAS,2005-01-18,4,Michael Finley Dirk Nowitzki Jerry Stackhouse Jason Terry
7,GSW,BOS,1990-01-21,4,Tim Hardaway Chris Mullin Mitch Richmond Terry Teagle
8,DEN,HOU,1988-04-15,4,Michael Adams Alex English Fat Lever Danny Schayes
9,HOU,ATL,1973-03-11,4,Jack Marin Calvin Murphy Mike Newlin Rudy Tomjanovich
10,PHO,BOS,1973-03-08,4,Connie Hawkins Charlie Scott Dick Van Arsdale Neal Walk
11,LAL,CIN,1971-01-24,4,Wilt Chamberlain Keith Erickson Happy Hairston Jerry West
12,CIN,SDR,1970-03-12,4,Connie Dierking Johnny Green Oscar Robertson Tom Van Arsdale
13,LAL,SFW,1970-01-02,4,Keith Erickson Dick Garrett Happy Hairston Jerry West
14,BAL,BOS,1968-03-17,4,Leroy Ellis Jack Marin Earl Monroe Ray Scott
15,SFW,CHI,1967-12-09,4,Fred Hetzel Rudy LaRusso Jeff Mullins Nate Thurmond
16,BAL,DET,1967-02-19,4,John Barnhill Leroy Ellis Jack Marin Ray Scott
17,CIN,SYR,1961-12-13,4,Bob Boozer Wayne Embry Oscar Robertson Jack Twyman
18,CIN,SYR,1961-10-29,4,Bob Boozer Wayne Embry Oscar Robertson Jack Twyman
19,BOS,NYK,1960-01-20,4,Bob Cousy Tom Heinsohn Bill Russell Bill Sharman

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
e: oh four nvm no idea why I read it as 3

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

fart simpson posted:

drat if he could shoot free throws he might become a star

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

ChickenMedium posted:

drat if he could shoot free throws he might become a star

maybe even get a huge contract

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

lol

The AST/TOV ratio is actually the biggest point in his favor as an improvement this year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mdemone posted:

Games in league history with 4 players scoring 25+ points for the same team:

Rk,Team,Opp,Date,Count,Player List
1,LAL,IND,2024-03-24,4,Anthony Davis Spencer Dinwiddie LeBron James Austin Reaves
2,UTA,MIL,2021-02-12,4,Jordan Clarkson Rudy Gobert Joe Ingles Donovan Mitchell
3,BOS,MIN,2020-02-21,4,Jaylen Brown Gordon Hayward Jayson Tatum Daniel Theis
4,NOP,HOU,2019-12-29,4,Lonzo Ball Jrue Holiday Brandon Ingram E'Twaun Moore
5,NYK,DET,2006-12-27,4,Jamal Crawford Eddy Curry Channing Frye Stephon Marbury
6,DAL,WAS,2005-01-18,4,Michael Finley Dirk Nowitzki Jerry Stackhouse Jason Terry
7,GSW,BOS,1990-01-21,4,Tim Hardaway Chris Mullin Mitch Richmond Terry Teagle
8,DEN,HOU,1988-04-15,4,Michael Adams Alex English Fat Lever Danny Schayes
9,HOU,ATL,1973-03-11,4,Jack Marin Calvin Murphy Mike Newlin Rudy Tomjanovich
10,PHO,BOS,1973-03-08,4,Connie Hawkins Charlie Scott Dick Van Arsdale Neal Walk
11,LAL,CIN,1971-01-24,4,Wilt Chamberlain Keith Erickson Happy Hairston Jerry West
12,CIN,SDR,1970-03-12,4,Connie Dierking Johnny Green Oscar Robertson Tom Van Arsdale
13,LAL,SFW,1970-01-02,4,Keith Erickson Dick Garrett Happy Hairston Jerry West
14,BAL,BOS,1968-03-17,4,Leroy Ellis Jack Marin Earl Monroe Ray Scott
15,SFW,CHI,1967-12-09,4,Fred Hetzel Rudy LaRusso Jeff Mullins Nate Thurmond
16,BAL,DET,1967-02-19,4,John Barnhill Leroy Ellis Jack Marin Ray Scott
17,CIN,SYR,1961-12-13,4,Bob Boozer Wayne Embry Oscar Robertson Jack Twyman
18,CIN,SYR,1961-10-29,4,Bob Boozer Wayne Embry Oscar Robertson Jack Twyman
19,BOS,NYK,1960-01-20,4,Bob Cousy Tom Heinsohn Bill Russell Bill Sharman

this definitely has me remembering some guys

E'Twaun Moore...

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Toronto has lost 10 in a row. I knew they would take a step back but it looks like they are hardcore tanking trying to keep their pick? Memphis has passed them in the standings.

The Raptors are also a game out back from the Warriors and have been playing without Sengun or Whitmore. They play the Blazers tonight, who have the Warriors pick, so I hope the Blazers trot out the all-rookie lineup again. Let the tank flow.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

this definitely has me remembering some guys

E'Twaun Moore...

His red Q4 shoes look great, imo.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lockback posted:

Sabonis just tied Love's double-double streak record. Impressive and also I'm a little surprised that got so little attention. When Love set it in 10-11 it was a mildly big deal.

It's because it's the Kings, but I assume it will make bigger headlines if he breaks the record tonight. It's a home game so there will be added fanfare. There also other stats with his triple-double count that he shares with only Oscar and Wilt. Quietly putting up some fantastic numbers and the biggest all-star snub I can remember.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 25, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

lol

The AST/TOV ratio is actually the biggest point in his favor as an improvement this year.

i agree but 50/40/60 is funnier

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kibner posted:

His red Q4 shoes look great, imo.

I remember those, and I remember thinking some of the others looked good too

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Mean Baby posted:

Toronto has lost 10 in a row. I knew they would take a step back but it looks like they are hardcore tanking trying to keep their pick? Memphis has passed them in the standings.

The Raptors are also a game out back from the Warriors and have been playing without Sengun or Whitmore. They play the Blazers tonight, who have the Warriors pick, so I hope the Blazers trot out the all-rookie lineup again. Let the tank flow.

They're bad now, but also like 6 of their top 8 guys are out with legit injuries and personal stuff. The lineups are really dire but not because of an intentional tank job (though I'm sure they're happy to be losing).

Their best active players at the moment are Gary Trent Jr, Kelly Olynyk, and Gradey Dick lol

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Mean Baby posted:

Barnes and Poeltl broke their hands in the same game and it's been full tank since then. I like to think Memphis will play hard to keep the pick out of the Spurs' hands as a divisional rival.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lifespan posted:

It's because it's the Kings, but I assume it will make bigger headlines if he breaks the record tonight. It's a home game so there will be added fanfare. There also other stats with his triple-double count that he shares with only Oscar and Wilt. Quietly putting up some fantastic numbers and the biggest all-star snub I can remember.

I mean Love got it on a less relevant Timberwolves team. I guess he was an American born white guy so that did help. And yeah, Sabonis has been having another great season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I dunno how much Toronto is a tank vs they are just really bad with the guys who are left that are able to physically play basketball.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sabonis doesn’t get a ton of respect nationally and neither does Sacramento after that brief darling run. Love was on a less relevant Minnesota team but had strong boosters in the media, partially because he was a counter to the depravity that was basketball during that era

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Cause it’s a nothing record and time has happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Feels like Masai has lost some of his luster as a GM wunderkind in the last few years. Smartest thing he did was trade Pascal instead of pay him.