Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
stux gonna be hard stuck in zone 2 with the games jouranlists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
and the 5000 hour people who have never killed uber elder

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

If you move with WASD and aim with the mouse they're actually making a bloodline champions clone anyway, so real loving hard is the right difficulty.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean i just wont play it if its really like that, its not what i play arpgs for and there isnt a short supply of mechanically challenging games. i play stuff like poe as an alternative to those games when i want something thats more about puzzling out a build and working out a bunch of numbers instead of twitch mechanical gameplay. ill probably never kill uber elder either, and its one of the strengths of the game that the end game is so modular and flexible you can do that. i spent like a week crafting a single item last league and it was the hardest thing ive ever done in an arpg, and one of the most fun, and the genre is anemic enough already that its annoying everytime an arpg dev decides its become too embaressing to make arpgs anymore and its time to make a Real Game.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Does anyone know of a normalized damage effectiveness / sec spreadsheet for spells? There used to be one floating around, would be nice with the trans gems as well.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Ill slog through the campaign once if its hard and the endgame is good. After that they’ve said it’ll be way easier until:

Not sure i’d do it for a second season if its remains as hard as some claim unless the endgame is just That Good.

wemgo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 25, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
shitposting aside stux, if you haven't killed uber elder you should because it's a pretty fun fight and it's not, like, oppressively hard whatsoever. maven too probably. sirus is fairly fun now that the fight isn't just a complete jankfest like it used to be, too

btw i mention that comparison to poe 1 bosses originally because I was kind of expecting them to be making way tf harder boss fights but those all look like a similar difficulty to stuff that the poe 1 playerbase generally doesn't really struggle with

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Moving while attacking really will be a game changer and hopefully melee will be able to wasd move too, any video of the warrior with slow windup attacks and getting stunlocked unable to fight back against a pack of small-medium sized enemies looks ragequit worthy.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I want to shitpost super hard about poe2 but it's still ultimately going to be like poe in that there are a million variables that you can mix and match to make a build which leads to good builds being 100 times more effective than bad builds which will allow you to not have to press 12345678 to kill every rare mob

GodspeedYou!Witchy
Jun 24, 2020
The only thing that would make me 100% skip PoE2 is if the entire skill philosophy revolved around generator/spender. I hate that poo poo so much

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Moving while attacking really will be a game changer and hopefully melee will be able to wasd move too

Everything can WASD

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I sincerely and utterly despise twin-stick shooters with every fiber of my being and if poe2 is balanced around that particular control scheme then I just won't play it

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

euphronius posted:

Poe 2 looks good but i have a feeling it’s going to get negative reviews on launch

There is no way that the servers will handle it when it launches, so that alone will cause a flood of negative reviews regardless of gameplay.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

shitposting aside stux, if you haven't killed uber elder you should because it's a pretty fun fight and it's not, like, oppressively hard whatsoever. maven too probably. sirus is fairly fun now that the fight isn't just a complete jankfest like it used to be, too

btw i mention that comparison to poe 1 bosses originally because I was kind of expecting them to be making way tf harder boss fights but those all look like a similar difficulty to stuff that the poe 1 playerbase generally doesn't really struggle with

i have no interest in it. arpg bosses are whatever at the best of times anyway because the perspective robs them of spectacle and intensity, and all teh bosses i have done in poe are like the worst designed fights in any arpg ive ever played lol

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Stux posted:

i have no interest in it. arpg bosses are whatever at the best of times anyway because the perspective robs them of spectacle and intensity, and all teh bosses i have done in poe are like the worst designed fights in any arpg ive ever played lol
uber elder is genuinely fun and the best fight in the game, but I get that you just don't have an interest in them and I think it's cool that poe still has a ton of poo poo for you

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think in reviews they mentioned they hate the concept of generator/spender skills and don't want to copy diablo in that regard, though it could just end up as "free abilities that don't generate/spender skills"

Not having any life in the passive tree is going to be a massive change by itself that will make everyone roughly on the same footing while going through the campaign and will make it so bosses will be about the same level of deadly to everyone instead of just 1 shot abilities being the only danger and easier to balance if they don't have to design around people fighting a act boss with either 700 HP or 3700 HP.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Poe bosses seem so easy when i watch someone else do them. Then i get in there and its the most tense thing.

My goal this league is to get somewhat competent at bossing without penance brand as a crutch.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Stux posted:

this guy probably thinks that blasting 200 legions an hour with a headhunter is fun

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it would be, if it wasn't for shroud walker

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You might get better at video games if you learn to find the shift key

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's still fun with shroud walker, it's just literally nauseating

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I have played 1100 hours of PoE and I also don't think I've ever fought Uber Elder, for similar reasons.

In addition, my experience with PoE has been that at the best of times I still get random 200-400ms lag spikes that make bossing a complete toss-up. I live out in the boonies so I'm sure my lovely internet connection plays a big role here. I gravitate towards near-immortal builds as a result and focus on content where I can get hit and not lose a 2-4 div investment or whatever it costs to fight one of the Uber bosses. For the same reason I will never, ever play HC.

Also having fought the Maven, I have no faith in the quality of GGG's boss fight design. That's a top tier horrible video game experience for me and I will never, ever fight that boss again without a carry. Whatever the gently caress is going on with the memory game is invisible to me -- I can't see the floor light up even on slowed-down YouTube videos of the fight. I'm not colorblind (at least not in any way that an optometrist can measure) so :shrug:

What keeps me coming back to PoE is the itemization, crafting, refining builds, "playing the market," and the many interlocking and interesting systems. It's an extremely engaging optimization problem that has a huge amount of room for creativity.

I will definitely try PoE 2, but I am extremely skeptical that the networking will be good enough to not devolve into "Dark Souls but sometimes your dodge roll is delayed by 400ms" for me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this guy probably thinks that blasting 200 legions an hour with a headhunter is fun

ive actually still never used a headhunter bcos i keep ending up playing mageblood builds :cheeky:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think you're confusing the ring expanding and exploding (where you have to run to a little platform that comes up on the outside) with the memory game? the memory games visual should be literally impossible to miss, but the exploding ring is very easy to miss relatively speaking

Stux posted:

ive actually still never used a headhunter bcos i keep ending up playing mageblood builds :cheeky:

you game entirely wrong stux i swear to god lol

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I think you're confusing the ring expanding and exploding (where you have to run to a little platform that comes up on the outside) with the memory game? the memory games visual should be literally impossible to miss, but the exploding ring is very easy to miss relatively speaking

No, I'm talking about the memory game. I can't see the floor sections light up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
In Path of Exile: Necropolis, you can assign a keybind to use Portal Scrolls.

The lack of item filter in that video is really triggering me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you game entirely wrong stux i swear to god lol

i havnt played a regular bow build + both times i could afford one of the belts i was playing armor stacker where mb is build defining. it is what it is.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Jonathon the other day mentioned how he thought the POE1 campaign was just insanely too easy, but boy do I think that's a terrible mindset. It's already much more difficult than other notable ARPG campaigns. Plus, POE has such an amazing endgame, that it kind of *hurts* their campaign. It's just a chore to get through, because even after it, you still got 100 maps to clear (with some minor specifics you need to do), tons of bosses to chase down, powering up enough to do ubers (unless you picked the wrong build, then gently caress you), etc. It's all the more reason why people don't want a challenging campaign.

If they want POE2 to be megahard, they're welcome to it, but when the playerbase drops off so hard that it makes Kalandra look like a runaway success, they'll realize they done hosed up.

It's a *bad thing* that players new to ARPGs died repeatedly in the first few zones and gave up. I mean, yeah, it's hilarious too, lol. But I want POE2 to succeed, and that's not how it succeeds. There's some combo of mob difficulty, the game teaching you, and gear rewards that they're severely missing there.

I like it when mapping is mostly breezy fun, then focus up for bosses. I like that POE2 has much more interesting bosses. I think it's absolute garbage that if you die, the entire zone respawns and you gotta re-clear the entire zone, and your loot despawns.

I'm of mixed opinion on bosses resetting. I'll have to see how I like it in person to really know. As long as it's not bullshit deaths like Sirus nonsense, then I suspect I'll be okay with it.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sorry, I do not need a AHK script to show me how exactly many mods i can craft on an item, check the betryal rewards, atlas map searching, or convert my hotkeys to some real mess at level 10

/shrug, I just use it for the leveling overlay, then I turn it off for rest of the league. It doesn't automatically do anything unless you use certain hotkeys, or something. I dunno, as I said, never used those things.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Does anyone know of a normalized damage effectiveness / sec spreadsheet for spells? There used to be one floating around, would be nice with the trans gems as well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xk_dREw6GC4TN1JRCTVzENWlJIxCx8HtqRbANV2Fgxc/edit#gid=1280790581
Still up to date afaik, column ap.

Lots of practical issues with that sheet tho for DE/PS like it ignores all the mechanical jank so you have to go down to firestorm for the first 'real' one really.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

xZAOx posted:

your loot despawns.

what

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

xZAOx posted:

Jonathon the other day mentioned how he thought the POE1 campaign was just insanely too easy, but boy do I think that's a terrible mindset. It's already much more difficult than other notable ARPG campaigns. Plus, POE has such an amazing endgame, that it kind of *hurts* their campaign. It's just a chore to get through, because even after it, you still got 100 maps to clear (with some minor specifics you need to do), tons of bosses to chase down, powering up enough to do ubers (unless you picked the wrong build, then gently caress you), etc. It's all the more reason why people don't want a challenging campaign.

If they want POE2 to be megahard, they're welcome to it, but when the playerbase drops off so hard that it makes Kalandra look like a runaway success, they'll realize they done hosed up.

It's a *bad thing* that players new to ARPGs died repeatedly in the first few zones and gave up. I mean, yeah, it's hilarious too, lol. But I want POE2 to succeed, and that's not how it succeeds. There's some combo of mob difficulty, the game teaching you, and gear rewards that they're severely missing there.

It depends, it's not like elden ring was incredibly unpopular or something, but I also don't see how their business models works if you set it up so completing the campaign is an "accomplishment" similar to beating a soulslike game, except that it's free and then the only people who would want to give you money and play seasons are what..soulslike speedrunners? Probably not many hundreds of thousands of those waiting around to give them money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

elden ring has multiple ways to let people ignore boss mechanics and never engage with them. its part of why so many people who were put off by the souls games jumped in, and the souls games already also had some ways to do that!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

xZAOx posted:

This will be the first problem they will face.

How many people would play a strictly linear, 2d elden ring with seasons?

Not as many people as GGG probably thinks, I would guess. Maybe 20-50k? Current poe numbers are 200-300k, give or take? Seems bad.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jean Eric Burn posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xk_dREw6GC4TN1JRCTVzENWlJIxCx8HtqRbANV2Fgxc/edit#gid=1280790581
Still up to date afaik, column ap.

Lots of practical issues with that sheet tho for DE/PS like it ignores all the mechanical jank so you have to go down to firestorm for the first 'real' one really.

thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

This bug is fixed in the updated patch notes

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Man, with FF7 Rebirth and Dragon's Dogma 2 not anywhere close to being finished, this might be the first league in five years I skip (or at least wait a week or two to start)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

One of the streamers mentioned it from their event. The entire zone resets when you die, which includes any loot that had dropped that you hadn't picked up yet.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
People are going to understandably loose their poo poo when a chase item drops and then they die on that same run. That is going to be such an unfun experience for everyone; no one is this loving broken. I refuse to believe this is true.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
poe campaign isn't too hard but it is way too long. also the issue with ggg making the campaign harder is less difficulty and more that they're making it take even longer.

hell i'm weird and enjoy the poe campaign quite a bit but it's, with zero question, a roadblock to the real meat and potatoes of the game and especially for newer people, it's a huge ask to run it once, much less multiple times. in my ideal world your second+ characters would start at, like, act 6 or something

xZAOx posted:

people die a bunch early in virtually every game, tbh I don't think that is almost at all the roadblock so much as the actual amount of fun people are having in the process. if the game is fun you keep playing even if you die, if it isn't you stop. hell the people i've introduced to poe who bounced off didn't bounce off because they were dying but because the campaign was boring and they just loss interest

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

xZAOx posted:

One of the streamers mentioned it from their event. The entire zone resets when you die, which includes any loot that had dropped that you hadn't picked up yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMaBQDXOkk&t=19s