Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" yesterday by accident, was looking for Blues Brothers type movies and it is definitely not it. I noticed it has pretty similar moral lesson in the end as Vanishing Point (and maybe Easy Rider, I am not sure). Is there a definite list of such movies? Did Hollywood only made them when American cars were cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

LanceHunter posted:

Matt Baume has a great piece about a historic British film that helped bring down that county’s ban on homosexuality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0nkN8MabA

Wildest aside from this is how there was a film version of The Trials of Oscar Wilde that had to depict him as straight.

Notorious straight guy, Oscar Wilde

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Velma season 2 totally got greenlit on the back of the initial "hate watching" and I'd be shocked if it gets any further than that.

In other news, a somewhat more interesting "look who hates this" marketing campaign just dropped:

https://twitter.com/NomiMalones/status/1771632844692967814?t=jYewy-FCotdM2QtRX2SLSg&s=19

(I have no idea how "real" these ads are, but that barely means anything these days anyway)

edit: For those who aren't Twitter-poisoned enough to know this, apparently the alt-right has seemed Sydney Sweeney "anti-woke" because she's blonde and has boobs, or something. I dunno it's bizarre and I wish these people would just admit they're horny

thats fweakin cwazy. sarcasm over. take this poo poo back to twitter town ding dong

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

just playing. post whatever you like

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Frank Frank posted:

Notorious straight guy, Oscar Wilde

Known for his classic work, “The Importance of Being a Poon-Hound”

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" yesterday by accident, was looking for Blues Brothers type movies and it is definitely not it. I noticed it has pretty similar moral lesson in the end as Vanishing Point (and maybe Easy Rider, I am not sure). Is there a definite list of such movies? Did Hollywood only made them when American cars were cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVCVqdwj9QI

But for real basically anything starring Burt Reynolds

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hey remember www . wookieepedia . com/Breasts? well get ready for https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Slavery

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

I just found out Arnold’s character’s name in Commando is “John Matrix.”

Of the Austrian Matrices.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1772013839510306905?t=lJ7RX1qhnp8WDy0dtb74Hw&s=19

We didn't want to use CGI so we went to the city planet in person.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sir Lemming posted:

Velma season 2 totally got greenlit on the back of the initial "hate watching" and I'd be shocked if it gets any further than that.

In other news, a somewhat more interesting "look who hates this" marketing campaign just dropped:

https://twitter.com/NomiMalones/status/1771632844692967814?t=jYewy-FCotdM2QtRX2SLSg&s=19

(I have no idea how "real" these ads are, but that barely means anything these days anyway)

edit: For those who aren't Twitter-poisoned enough to know this, apparently the alt-right has seemed Sydney Sweeney "anti-woke" because she's blonde and has boobs, or something. I dunno it's bizarre and I wish these people would just admit they're horny

she smashes her newly born demonbaby with a rock. you don't see the baby.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ah, the ocieros gambit

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

ah, the ocieros gambit

:yeah:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

LanceHunter posted:

Matt Baume has a great piece about a historic British film that helped bring down that county’s ban on homosexuality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF0nkN8MabA

Wildest aside from this is how there was a film version of The Trials of Oscar Wilde that had to depict him as straight.

don't care
won't care
get the gently caress outta here

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I’m watching Popeye (1980) and on paper this should be a good movie. Robin Williams, Shelly Duval, Robert Altman….what could go wrong?

I’m not sure what this movie is trying to be. Is it a musical?? I get Popeye has to talk hosed up but he is so hard to understand in this.

The sets and some of the gags are pretty good though. Was this a cocaine thing??

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m watching Popeye (1980) and on paper this should be a good movie. Robin Williams, Shelly Duval, Robert Altman….what could go wrong?

I’m not sure what this movie is trying to be. Is it a musical?? I get Popeye has to talk hosed up but he is so hard to understand in this.

The sets and some of the gags are pretty good though. Was this a cocaine thing??

I didn't like the movie much but I love this song in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBh2O5h-oMU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has the YouTube algorithm been boosting videos about caving deaths for anybody else lately?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
does mike slowly dying from alcohol poisoning count as a caving death?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I understand the impulse behind stubbornly refusing to click the not interested button. God knows it's been productive of a lot of posts over the years.

But in the case of death videos I would simply click on it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The YT algorithm isn't all bad, it showed me this one of a guy animating transformers based on an episode of the tv show's audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0BlIA-9y0

I love it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Mods No Masters posted:

I understand the impulse behind stubbornly refusing to click the not interested button. God knows it's been productive of a lot of posts over the years.

But in the case of death videos I would simply click on it

Well it’s not like actual footage, it’s more like detailed 10-15 minute summaries with some stock footage and crude animation that usually amounts to “a guy got stuck in a small unreachable place and died”. And I’m like “drat, that sucks. Okay yeah, tell me about another one.”

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

General Dog posted:

Well it’s not like actual footage, it’s more like detailed 10-15 minute summaries with some stock footage and crude animation that usually amounts to “a guy got stuck in a small unreachable place and died”. And I’m like “drat, that sucks. Okay yeah, tell me about another one.”

I think I figured out why youtube keeps recommending them to you

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
some mysteries really do solve themselves

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

Nothing went wrong, it's amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sunk Dunk posted:

Great film. It has real heart!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

this is a free rental

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

You always have to be worried about a show when most of the pre-release hype has been "we used real poo poo this time."

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I can no longer read the word "coruscant" without hearing jake lloyd mispronounce it in my head

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I can no longer read the word "coruscant" without hearing jake lloyd mispronounce it in my head

Love that they show all the other kids in the audition scene, choose Lloyd, and then he says Coroos Scant and George is immediately "alright cut"

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

we built sets! we interacted with three dimensional space!! - most pathetic marketing campaign in history

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Not really inspiring confidence.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

kdrudy posted:

Nothing went wrong, it's amazing.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Great film. It has real heart!

Really?? The movie rivals Robot in the Family in the "not shutting the gently caress up" factor

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sunk Dunk posted:

Really?? The movie rivals Robot in the Family in the "not shutting the gently caress up" factor

Robin Williams had a contract stipulation to let him incoherently blather constantly it seems like

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just watched the botw, pretty funny. Still laughed the hardest at the claim that major tourist states are hushing up lyme disease cases because people [afraid of the disease] wouldn't want to travel there. What a quaint thing to believe.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
If you watch the old Popeye cartoons Popeye is always mumbling something under his breath. Bluto too. They'll be squaring up to fight and Bluto will be muttering "m'gonnapoundthisguyintotheground" and Popeye will be mumbling "ohyathinksyeratoughguydoya".

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i can't get the neck turn lady outta my head

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I just watched the botw, pretty funny. Still laughed the hardest at the claim that major tourist states are hushing up lyme disease cases because people [afraid of the disease] wouldn't want to travel there. What a quaint thing to believe.

The state of Florida would NEVER downplay the existence of a major disease just to encourage tourism

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jose Oquendo posted:

You always have to be worried about a show when most of the pre-release hype has been "we used real poo poo this time."

Gotta love how they've caught on to the fact that people prefer practical effects, but only enough to do the bare minimum required to be able to use it in marketing. Always count on film execs learning the wrong lesson. Every time.

Presto posted:

If you watch the old Popeye cartoons Popeye is always mumbling something under his breath. Bluto too. They'll be squaring up to fight and Bluto will be muttering "m'gonnapoundthisguyintotheground" and Popeye will be mumbling "ohyathinksyeratoughguydoya".

This reminds me of the one weird Popeye cartoon where he was voiced by some random guy who sounded totally different and it was really bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0cnO3ix53c&t=150s

(IMDb spoils the mystique just a little bit: he apparently was Popeye's voice in an old radio version, and was called upon as a stopgap between the guy who played him in the very first cartoons and Jack Mercer who played him from that point on.)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Sunk Dunk posted:

Yes. Fiasco is a good read, and covers Popeye, among others:

https://archive.org/details/fiascohistoryofh00pari

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So apparently the latest Ghostbusters made just over $45 million last weekend, which is being hailed as a triumph (since it was expected to make about $38 million or so). So we can look forward to the adventures of Paul Rudd's hairpiece in rejected episodes of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon for years to come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LanceHunter posted:

So apparently the latest Ghostbusters made just over $45 million last weekend, which is being hailed as a triumph (since it was expected to make about $38 million or so). So we can look forward to the adventures of Paul Rudd's hairpiece in rejected episodes of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon for years to come!

greeeaaat