Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The AI throwing 1,000 balls each at bat is making conquest a slog. Games take much longer. Also one stronghold on the USA map is still glitched for me. Am I just never getting the rewards or???

Building my Dominican Republic team as I do each year. Just got 89 Gary Sanchez who always smashes bombs and has the catcher pop perk so good at picking people off stealing. Looking to fill out the squad. Tatis who had garbage defense last year and couldnt field a ball to save his life but was one of the best hitters now has poo poo hitting and insane defense..... Kind of a bummer he looks really underpowered for an 88. Will probably get Julian Rodriguez before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How do you do the stupid jump throw with Jeter mission?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If you do the captain exhange, can you do it again? I like Senga but want to try buxton. Can I put in Senga, try buxton, then put in buxton and get senga back?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

They almost fixed conquest mode so it isn't a complete sleepwalk. Now instead of simming everything and annihilating the AI strongholds, there's one or two AIs per map that actually play the game and try to win. One skipped turn late-game trivializes it though.

That doesn't sound fun at all.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Seltzer posted:

If you do the captain exhange, can you do it again? I like Senga but want to try buxton. Can I put in Senga, try buxton, then put in buxton and get senga back?

Yes. And not only that, you can collect each of them and then exchange them to count towards the Seasonal collection.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

That doesn't sound fun at all.

Also not sure what that poster is talking about, it was exactly the same for me this year?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's weird, some of the short, non-USA maps did seem to have more aggressive map ai for at least some of the other teams but I'm not really seeing it on the big map

idk if it's just like noticing patterns that aren't there or some weirdo change to the smaller conquest maps or what

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Probably have enough of a bullpen to start playing ranked.

I finished last season with a highest ranking of 687 and something like a 124-79 record. Yet I started the game going 1-6 in a hysterically bad run of running into absolute monsters.

God, I do not trust my pitching staff at all. I might pitch Rube and hope my opponent doesn't understand off-speed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Regular diamond pulls so far -

Bobby Witt Jr.

Bobby Witt Jr.

Lindor

Bobby Witt Jr.

God damnit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I like that the pitching captains give you boosts for the hitters too

I have a team now with an all-Buxton boost lineup which I used my entire bench for Braves players who are also boosted by Buxton, so now I don't really have a bench BUT I do have 3 on-field players (Riley, Olson, Swanson) who are boosted by both boosts which is like a +5-6 overall boost (Buxton boosts plus +10 power v R, +10 contact v. L, so those three players got like +25 power v. R), plus I finished the Braves collection so I have Matzek, Kimbrel, and Strider who are getting the Matzek boost

I think this will be even better once they come out with more Braves legends cards although I imagine unfortunately not a ton of them will have low vision, I'll probably have to wait until they come out with some more prospect type cards because those all seem to have low vision, but at least if they come out with more legend pitchers I can throw on more pitchers without having to gently caress up my team, maybe if there's a Glavine or Smoltz or something at some point

Oh yeah and for anyone using Buxton, there are some REALLY great cards to use along with him in the hitter captain pack, assuming you still want to use Buxton and not switch captains, Swanson is really good when boosted by Buxton, as is Joey Gallo (but uhh you better be able to hit if you want to use Gallo), and similarly Adam Dunn winds up being like 91/93/125/105 in the DH spot when boosted by Buxton which is pretty ridiculous for an 87 overall card and he's a lefty.

edit: It did just occur to me though that Riley and Olson are live series cards and if Riley gets tuned to have +1 more vision my whole team is hosed lol

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone play the season or franchise modes with the normal rosters or do most people play online with the packs, RttS and such?

I guess the last page or two of posts answered this for me.

I guess I'm weird but none of this card hunting and roster chasing seems fun to me. Now please excuse me while I go try to beat the Braves in my S2 franchise.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I like that the pitching captains give you boosts for the hitters too

I have a team now with an all-Buxton boost lineup which I used my entire bench for Braves players who are also boosted by Buxton, so now I don't really have a bench BUT I do have 3 on-field players (Riley, Olson, Swanson) who are boosted by both boosts which is like a +5-6 overall boost (Buxton boosts plus +10 power v R, +10 contact v. L, so those three players got like +25 power v. R), plus I finished the Braves collection so I have Matzek, Kimbrel, and Strider who are getting the Matzek boost

I think this will be even better once they come out with more Braves legends cards although I imagine unfortunately not a ton of them will have low vision, I'll probably have to wait until they come out with some more prospect type cards because those all seem to have low vision, but at least if they come out with more legend pitchers I can throw on more pitchers without having to gently caress up my team, maybe if there's a Glavine or Smoltz or something at some point

Oh yeah and for anyone using Buxton, there are some REALLY great cards to use along with him in the hitter captain pack, assuming you still want to use Buxton and not switch captains, Swanson is really good when boosted by Buxton, as is Joey Gallo (but uhh you better be able to hit if you want to use Gallo), and similarly Adam Dunn winds up being like 91/93/125/105 in the DH spot when boosted by Buxton which is pretty ridiculous for an 87 overall card and he's a lefty.

edit: It did just occur to me though that Riley and Olson are live series cards and if Riley gets tuned to have +1 more vision my whole team is hosed lol

I've been paring down my team as I complete the Team Affinity tracks, but the moment I'm back at full strength I'm going to have a Dunn/Woods/Stanton/Trout lineup mailing everything away. Maybe Gary Sanchez too once I see how the card plays

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Alright, I cannot get a straight answer anywhere on the internet.

I have throw cancelling on, then turn on button accuracy.

I gently caress up a throw to first, so I hit the button a second time to cancel the throw.

I hit the button to first a second time, and the "hosed" input on the meter comes back up.

Am I able to cancel the throw, then re-do the throwing meter to the same base? I swear to God, I've seen people do this before.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Alright, I cannot get a straight answer anywhere on the internet.

I have throw cancelling on, then turn on button accuracy.

I gently caress up a throw to first, so I hit the button a second time to cancel the throw.

I hit the button to first a second time, and the "hosed" input on the meter comes back up.

Am I able to cancel the throw, then re-do the throwing meter to the same base? I swear to God, I've seen people do this before.

I don't think I've been able to do that but there is a fielding practice mode in custom practice if you want to gently caress with it, just set it to do grounders to 3rd

Oh yeah are any of you guys gonna do co-op with me or what? They made it this year so the ranked program just adds all your TOTAL ranked innings together for purposes of the bonus, so co-op, single, it's all in the same pool. So you can go online and gently caress around in co-op with your friend Stefan Prodan and get progress towards the incredibly expensive Randy Johnson or Ernie Banks cards!!

Anyway add me on discord if anyone wants to play sometime, stefanprodan on there, we could even try to get some 3v3 going at some point, might be fun

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 23, 2024

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I should. At this point you are not allowed to earn enough points from co-op to get the good cards yet, however.

Also it's a poo poo ton of innings. It was basically 100 at launch one of the last two years and here it's like 200+ to get 60% of the way there. Maybe it's easier because it's just chiller to play co op, but if I can't hit program missions with it, that's a hell of side mode grind.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Wellllll poo poo

Picked this up.

My main game these days is Street Fighter and I just wanted something less mentally taxing than high level fighting game play; figured franchise mode to run some seasons as the Os was gonna be a nice diversion

Turns out the whole pitching mechanic scratches the same exact fuckin itch just at baseball pacing. Lord this is gonna be my couch-game for a while and I can already tell.

Also re: coop I’ll jump on anytime as a newer player if anyone wants to get that going sometime

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

I should. At this point you are not allowed to earn enough points from co-op to get the good cards yet, however.

Also it's a poo poo ton of innings. It was basically 100 at launch one of the last two years and here it's like 200+ to get 60% of the way there. Maybe it's easier because it's just chiller to play co op, but if I can't hit program missions with it, that's a hell of side mode grind.

I'm not sure what you mean you can't earn enough points. As far as I can tell the ranked missions have collapsed into one series of "Play innings" missions that innings in any ranked mode whether it's co-op or single player contributes to the same pool of

Do you mean it doesn't count towards TA? I wasn't aware of that

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm not sure what you mean you can't earn enough points. As far as I can tell the ranked missions have collapsed into one series of "Play innings" missions that innings in any ranked mode whether it's co-op or single player contributes to the same pool of

Do you mean it doesn't count towards TA? I wasn't aware of that

Add them all up and they end at mid 60s for the program, and I believe you need 75 to get the program specific card and 100 to get the World Series pack.

E: in their launch stream they said they were going to drop a second set of challenges in the second half of the ranked season. I don't know if they overlap but if they do, you'd be able to double dip. It's possible it's just more on the tail though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

Add them all up and they end at mid 60s for the program, and I believe you need 75 to get the program specific card and 100 to get the World Series pack.

E: in their launch stream they said they were going to drop a second set of challenges in the second half of the ranked season. I don't know if they overlap but if they do, you'd be able to double dip. It's possible it's just more on the tail though.

Oh I see, well I'm pretty sure there's enough points to get to 75 because McCutcheon is only like 30k now

I mean you could still just come on and play and get some innings towards the thing tho because I imagine what's going to happen is they're going to add some more missions that are not innings-based and like yeah you could double up on those but you can just do it later and they're going to complete way before the innings missions complete, I imagine

I have a hard time imagining they're going to make it take more than 250 innings total so you might as well get started on it imo plus it's fun to play the game with other people (I hope)

edit: Yeah I added them up and you can currently max out at 76 points but I have a feeling any innings you do now are still going to be making progress towards the hard part

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 24, 2024

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Probably. You can do solo only PxP and other challenges too, so solo play can still get you to just about 100, but they dropped the repeatable PxP and Wins from it, which is rough

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I pulled Ohtani. Had no idea it’s the ‘best’ live series card for about 2 days since he’s only 94.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

davecrazy posted:

I pulled Ohtani. Had no idea it’s the ‘best’ live series card for about 2 days since he’s only 94.

I think it's weird that he is, since I think he should be the same pull rarity as Trout, Acuna, and Alvarez and of those I think Trout and Acuna play better. I could understand a premium but the price is so high.

Congrats though, because the real upside is that he's not going to fall at all in score since he's not pitching this year. Those stats are locked in, and if he plays some outfield and is half decent he might even go up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I lost a Showdown the other day because my baserunners all simultaneously had strokes and stopped running.

Which resulted in a triple play.

:stare:

-------

I played my first ranked game. The guy got five hits in a row, all singles with bad contact, and scored three in the first inning.

I ran the score to 11-3 by the fifth or sixth, and they started throwing at my batters and quit. I literally do not understand throwing a temper tantrum like that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Captain Log posted:

I lost a Showdown the other day because my baserunners all simultaneously had strokes and stopped running.

That's happened to me. I think R2 freezes all your runners. It's easy to mistakenly do that

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

-------

I played my first ranked game. The guy got five hits in a row, all singles with bad contact, and scored three in the first inning.

I ran the score to 11-3 by the fifth or sixth, and they started throwing at my batters and quit. I literally do not understand throwing a temper tantrum like that.

The spring training games are always wild, I didn't get any genuine noobs this year in mine, I just got guys who hadnt done their spring training games yet so I actually lost one or two but it's always weird to play online on veteran and everyone's just crushing it

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

MJBuddy posted:

Probably. You can do solo only PxP and other challenges too, so solo play can still get you to just about 100, but they dropped the repeatable PxP and Wins from it, which is rough

The schedule shows when part 2 of the ranked season stuff drops.

It seems like both the seasons and ranked stuff is moving slower because people complained about 99s from the drop last year.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Grem posted:

The schedule shows when part 2 of the ranked season stuff drops.

It seems like both the seasons and ranked stuff is moving slower because people complained about 99s from the drop last year.

I think it's fair. I like building up my team and last year I had like 20+ 95+ cards in two weeks.

They've also reduced live series grades I think across the board. It was nice to have a lot of variety last year, but pendulum swinging hard back means I look at every 83 I get and figure out if they have a spot in a themed lineup vs last year where just 99% of cards were just collection fodder with no uses.

The real test for me will be the Monthly Player grind, because that's where I've churned in three of the past years building a team of players I can barely identify since "Use 3 May Topps Now Cards" is not a goddamn filter.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have successfully no-lifed the game enough that I finished all of TA, got the event card, the BR program to 100, and have like 70 innings done in ranked

I am definitely getting my money's worth out of this game at least, a couple more years and I'll learn to lay off a 12 curve

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

That's happened to me. I think R2 freezes all your runners. It's easy to mistakenly do that

It does, and I promise this is not what happened. I'll see if I recorded it when I game later, because it was the damndest thing. I was absolutely mashing base running buttons to try and stop the idiocy once it happened, though.

Stefan Prodan posted:

The spring training games are always wild, I didn't get any genuine noobs this year in mine, I just got guys who hadnt done their spring training games yet so I actually lost one or two but it's always weird to play online on veteran and everyone's just crushing it

This guy had custom uniforms, and knew how to throw perfect pitches. But Jesus God, they weren't very good after that flukey as gently caress first inning.

I just love the tantrum poo poo. This person also decided to start bunt-pumping me once they were up 3-0 for an inning.

I should have replayed every homer, but I don't roll like that.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The thing that I can't stand is people who play at times of day where like the area behind the batter is so incredibly bright you can't see poo poo

I don't even know if people do it on purpose to be honest, people might just set it to 7 pm because they have "night player" quirks and then it's bright as gently caress because it's sunset

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

The thing that I can't stand is people who play at times of day where like the area behind the batter is so incredibly bright you can't see poo poo

I don't even know if people do it on purpose to be honest, people might just set it to 7 pm because they have "night player" quirks and then it's bright as gently caress because it's sunset

I loving promise you there are some people who do it on purpose. You'll be able to tell, because 90% of their pitches where be exactly where the light is blinding.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Got a triple play in BR today :hellyeah: and still lost 3-2 lmao

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

lol how the gently caress, did you get a catch then throw two people out who couldn't get back fast enough?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I almost got hosed again by bad base running, and it was the same step of the showdown. For whatever reason, facing Flaherty in the showdown makes all your baserunners have strokes. This time each baserunner took about one step off the bag, then stayed there.

Spoeank posted:

This is the most The Show experience I've ever read.

I'm up to 2-0 in ranked. My second match wasn't really fair, and I felt a little bad about it. Dude was pitching silver Robbie Ray, and got mercy'd by the seventh. I threw him some meatballs on purpose, and he managed to knock a few out of the park.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

it's very funny to me that they gave Josh Gibson the innate trait that any contact sounds like a moonshot but capped him at 80 power for the ability to sell more packs to get 125 power hitters balance reasons

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can someone confirm what changes between gameplay styles? From Casual to Sim to Competitive? Is pinpoint pitching more strict? Is zone hitting more strict? What actually changes in the gameplay?

I cant find a descriptive answer to this question and I feel like I'm missing something

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything but, this game feels exactly the same as last year gameplay wise. I was waiting to see the "more singles and base hits" that kept being mentioned and it honestly feels identical to 23. The only change is lower AI settings throwing 1,000 balls per inning. In the end it's fine because I got it on gamepass but man this game needs some big overhauls soon. The helicopters that go over the stadiums look like theyre out of an n64 game.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything but, this game feels exactly the same as last year gameplay wise. I was waiting to see the "more singles and base hits" that kept being mentioned and it honestly feels identical to 23. The only change is lower AI settings throwing 1,000 balls per inning. In the end it's fine because I got it on gamepass but man this game needs some big overhauls soon. The helicopters that go over the stadiums look like theyre out of an n64 game.

I love the gameplay for the most part, but I also think they need to get unburdened from the last gen hardware.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah and let me be a girl in diamond dynasty you hacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think they should generally not touch gameplay, it's in a pretty good state imo, I don't want it to be like FIFA where they keep changing the gameplay and loving things up

I would like to see more game modes and like Seltzer said maybe different overall limited tournaments and that sort of thing, I dunno

It always sucks though when a company changes the game just to say there's something new and it gets worse