Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I know I *can* find it, but as this is the maps thread I figure we can just include a description of maps we post to save everyone else the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the whole point is seeing other people's guesses

if you just blurt it out then people won't guess

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
If a classically slow creature like that decides it's worth the trip, you know you've got some great clay.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

interesting that tortoises exist in every arid area of the US, but not australia

syria, moscow and denmark are also fun outliers

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i say swears online posted:

interesting that tortoises exist in every arid area of the US, but not australia

their disregard of the western south america is probably because its too chile

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ChubbyChecker posted:

the whole point is seeing other people's guesses

if you just blurt it out then people won't guess

Guess the map is awful

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Sites that use this image:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Top_200_biology_images_that_should_use_vector_graphics

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lots of the species distribution maps are like obviously inaccurate for Africa, or at least at a vastly lower level of accuracy. Bird distributions on eBird are a lot better as they tend to at least account for habitat but they still have ones like this

(Russia and central Asia tend to have the same problem, the distributions are specified almost to the km in Europe then someone just draws a giant highlighter across the eastern extent of their range)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Should they have given a ruff estimate instead?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

tractor fanatic posted:

West Texas surprises me

I suppose it it counts unpaved roads it makes a lot of sense. There are huge areas just checkered with them.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

That's not Moscow, it's the Belarus/Lithuania/Russia border. I don't know anything about its turtles though

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

distortion park posted:

Lots of the species distribution maps are like obviously inaccurate for Africa, or at least at a vastly lower level of accuracy. Bird distributions on eBird are a lot better as they tend to at least account for habitat but they still have ones like this

(Russia and central Asia tend to have the same problem, the distributions are specified almost to the km in Europe then someone just draws a giant highlighter across the eastern extent of their range)

Do Russians and central Asians at age 65 not suddenly come down with a 25% probability of becoming obsessive compulsive birders, like their Western age cohort?

Birding seems like one of those things that should have absurdly specific and updated range maps of everything.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Guess the map is awful

your smell is awful

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ras Het posted:

That's not Moscow, it's the Belarus/Lithuania/Russia border. I don't know anything about its turtles though

it would be this species: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_pond_turtle

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Saladman posted:

Do Russians and central Asians at age 65 not suddenly come down with a 25% probability of becoming obsessive compulsive birders, like their Western age cohort?

Birding seems like one of those things that should have absurdly specific and updated range maps of everything.

Russian men generally don't live to age 65

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

Russian men generally don't live to age 65
Life expectancy goes a bit past that. In conclusion, birding in Russia is extremely dangerous, likely due to birds unknown to science.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sahara but not Arabia

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Feel like I need cross reference with population_density.png to see if there is anything interesting on that map.

It’s a map of wilderness areas national parks and mountain ranges basically

Anything not protected by the government gets roads built through it like nobody’s business unless there’s impassable mountains

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang.

“I’m pretty sure that EAH was not a lesbian from Russia” would have been a way better punchline.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

User reported sightings of Great Tits in the wild

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

distortion park posted:

User reported sightings of Great Tits in the wild

this looks like a map in a badly written post apocalyptic cyberpunk book showing the extent of "the incident"

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Europe is tit guys

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Europe is tit guys

But is it great?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The International Date Line ist just wonderfully hosed-up. Go a bit north from French Polynesia and you enter complete time chaos.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's why the ancient seafaring Polynesians weren't able to colonize America

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How did they decide where to put which country?

Here is another map based on research by CDC/Yale:

Mostly the same but there are a few differences.

Also this breakdown is quite interesting:

Especially the contrast between tap water quality and surface water pollution in the UK.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 25, 2024

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It really depends which part of the country though. Major cities in Brazil usually have safe-to-drink tap water. Can't say the same for anywhere else.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Having a country level scale seems not super helpful, although I guess it depends if the target audience is policy makers or travellers. Like the tap water in most big cities across the world is fine and totally safe to drink, say in Cairo or Marrakech or Istanbul or whatever, unless you’re in some ancient colonial-era dwelling that still uses lead pipes.

The biggest problem I’m aware of is for big cities that have frequent water cuts - here wealthier people will install water tanks on their houses, but the inside won’t be cleaned very often so the water stored in them can get kinda gross.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Negostrike posted:

It really depends which part of the country though. Major cities in Brazil usually have safe-to-drink tap water. Can't say the same for anywhere else.

If you look at the individual ratings the score of 45.2 is actually not too bad for Brazil as a whole, it's on the higher/top end for latin america.

Saladman posted:

Having a country level scale seems not super helpful, although I guess it depends if the target audience is policy makers or travellers. Like the tap water in most big cities across the world is fine and totally safe to drink, say in Cairo or Marrakech or Istanbul or whatever, unless you’re in some ancient colonial-era dwelling that still uses lead pipes.

The biggest problem I’m aware of is for big cities that have frequent water cuts - here wealthier people will install water tanks on their houses, but the inside won’t be cleaned very often so the water stored in them can get kinda gross.

The methodology seems pretty sound:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 25, 2024

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Private Speech posted:

How did they decide where to put which country?

Here is another map based on research by CDC/Yale:

Mostly the same but there are a few differences.

Also this breakdown is quite interesting:

Especially the contrast between tap water quality and surface water pollution in the UK.

The real missed opportunity here is not supplying any data on how much tap water is supplied per capita. Even if your tap water isn't particularly potable, you can still flush a toilet with it, which may be a bigger public health boon than drinkable tap water in developing areas.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Pretty sure the water in Flint still isnt ok to drink... ir East Palistine, OH... or or or

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The people claiming Canada has drinkable tap water should spend some time on Native lands.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
South Africa used to boast that they were one of only a dozen counties in the world with perfectly potable tap water.

I imagine that some US states may use a very similar one weird trick to decide that certain areas don't count to that number.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Shoutout to Niger with a score of 1.7, which is incredibly low even by African standards.

That must be like drinking diluted industrial waste or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Private Speech posted:

Shoutout to Niger with a score of 1.7, which is incredibly low even by African standards.

That must be like drinking diluted industrial waste or something.

What would you have to dilute it with?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Alomo Bitters

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Private Speech posted:

If you look at the individual ratings the score of 45.2 is actually not too bad for Brazil as a whole, it's on the higher/top end for latin america.

The methodology seems pretty sound:

I’m not doubting the methods, just saying it’s not very useful for travelers, even if it is useful for policy makers. A score of like 30 in Egypt will make someone not drink the tap water anywhere in Egypt, whereas in reality it’s fine to drink in Cairo, Luxor, Sharm el Sheikh, Hurghada. I wouldn’t recommend drinking the tap water in some farming village in the delta, but no foreigner goes to those places either.

It’s a nifty overall metric but information like that will lead to an explosion in plastic trash and waste, of people drinking bottled water in Tunisia or Egypt, rather than drinking the tap water which is perfectly safe anywhere that 99.9% of the places that tourists actually go, like negrostrike said for Brazil.

Like this type of information causes serious issues, plastic water bottles are an apocalyptic bane on society and the vast majority of the time people are drinking it, it’s unnecessary. Most people are either somewhere that has good tap water, and bottled water is a disgusting trash producing habit, or they are someone so poor in a place with horrific or lacking municipal water that they can’t afford bottled water anyway.

E: and even when you are somewhere with bad water quality, you can almost always UV treat it and/or boil it to avoid plastic trash. gently caress plastic water bottles, absolutely evil stuff.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Pretty sure the water in Flint still isnt ok to drink... ir East Palistine, OH... or or or

Probably why USA gets a sub 90 score on the teardrop above (along with NZ, wtf?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

distortion park posted:

Probably why USA gets a sub 90 score on the teardrop above (along with NZ, wtf?)

I'm not surprised by countries with significant and EXTREMELY rural areas, like Canada, the US, and NZ, but... Singapore? Luxembourg? How do either of those not get 100%? They're not exactly rural or poor. Maybe Luxembourg has some old pipes in some farmhouses in the Ardennes or something, but Singapore?

Switzerland is also the only places I've ever gotten sick from drinking the water... but I was drinking it out of a pipe in the mountain, and it was marked "kein Trinkwasser" so I guess that one was on me.