Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

the resolutions going to fail, america blocked the introduction of 'permament'

dta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the resolution passed, sadly we need to see the actual wording, the lack of the word 'permament' is a big boon to the israelis and if the resolution demands the release of the hostages than Hamas lost alot of its cards.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

However, the fact that a ceasefire resolution passed with immediate effect, and if the israelis are forced to abide by it (lol) that means the israelis for now have lost the war in the military sense, the real issue is wether they're forced to withdraw or not, or if Hamas is forced to give up their hostages with no real benefit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

speng31b posted:

more importantly what happens if Israel just does what they always do and ignore it and do whatever they want anyhow

they get to complete the genocide with a bow tie and seal of approval from the international community

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah this sucks rear end without the word permanent alongside forcing hamas to give up all hostages

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-will-stop-working-with-unrwa-gaza-government-spokesperson-says-2024-03-25/
Israel will stop working with the U.N. Relief Works Agency in the Gaza Strip, a government spokesperson said on Monday, accusing the aid agency of perpetuating conflict.

"UNRWA are part of the problem, and we will now stop working with them. We are actively phasing out the use of UNRWA because they perpetuate the conflict rather than try and alleviate the conflict," spokesperson David Mencer told reporters.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

yeah this sucks rear end without the word permanent alongside forcing hamas to give up all hostages

to which Hamas should say "no" which is exactly the point of the exercise

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

let's see the actual stipulations are, if it's as bad as it is it's genuinely bad that russia and china didnt veto it.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

let's see the actual stipulations are, if it's as bad as it is it's genuinely bad that russia and china didnt veto it.

yep need to see the text. when do they publish that?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I saw some indications that there were two resolutions today, one calling for a ceasefire and another calling for hostage release, without necessary connection to each other, but I'm not 100% on that.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Return word ‘permanent’ to resolution: Russia’s ambassador to the UN

Vasily Nebenzya says that the word cannot be replaced; otherwise Israel will go back to resuming its onslaught in Gaza.

Russia proposes an amendment to the text, but it is voted down.

Three countries backed it, one voted against and 11 abstained.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

I saw some indications that there were two resolutions today, one calling for a ceasefire and another calling for hostage release, without necessary connection to each other, but I'm not 100% on that.

if so, then this resolution is a win for the palestinians. but lets see.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

it's moments like this I kinda wish I still had twitter so I can see immediate reactions but then I remember that I've had 10 days of perfect mental serenity so I dont miss it at all.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

if so, then this resolution is a win for the palestinians. but lets see.

Oh nvm it looks like they may have amended the resolution to put them together. Al Jazeera says both things, calling for ceasefire and hostage release, were in the same resolution.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sadly yeah, this is a terrible lovely resolution, releasing the hostages without demanding permanent ceasefire is now just giving cover for Israel to take a breather then resume genocide, china and russia are pieces of poo poo for not vetoing this. Now israel can claim they are acting on behalf of the UN.

this is a really bad resolution so it's no wonder america didnt veto it.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

Oh nvm it looks like they may have amended the resolution to put them together. Al Jazeera says both things, calling for ceasefire and hostage release, were in the same resolution.

I doubt Israel will be releasing all of their Palestinian prisoners and they're all hostages too, so I don't see why Hamas should do so without Israel doing the same.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

I think they played russia and china it was a very last second play by the us

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Bel Shazar posted:

I doubt Israel will be releasing all of their Palestinian prisoners and they're all hostages too, so I don't see why Hamas should do so without Israel doing the same.

Hamas obviously won't (and shouldn't) abide by this, though it still sucks that it was passed. Russia and China vetoed resolutions like this before, so I'm not sure what was different this time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nah Russia called it out they couldve vetoed it but didnt.

also, the wording in the resolution itself didnt specify who's hostages where, so Hamas can claim that the Israelis have hostages as well that must be released.

Basically, america bought israel two weeks or so of respite.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

also, the wording in the resolution itself didnt specify who's hostages where, so Hamas can claim that the Israelis have hostages as well that must be released.

this is a big deal imo

everyone knows the israelis are taking hostages

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Disappointing all around but whatever hamas cannot abide by this and israel never will

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

this is a big deal imo

everyone knows the israelis are taking hostages

yep they filmed themselves doing it too

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1721707678
The Prime Minister's Office announced, following the passing of the UN resolution calling for a cease-fire, that the U.S. decision not to veto a resolution that supports a cease-fire without the release of the hostages hurts the war effort and contradicts its stance throughout the war.

According to the announcement, "This withdrawal hurts both the war effort and the effort to release the hostages, because it gives Hamas hope that international pressure will allow them to accept a cease-fire without the release of our abductees."

In light of this, the Prime Minister Netanyahu has decided to cancel the delegation to Washington.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...0000#1721707678
The Prime Minister's Office announced, following the passing of the UN resolution calling for a cease-fire, that the U.S. decision not to veto a resolution that supports a cease-fire without the release of the hostages hurts the war effort and contradicts its stance throughout the war.

According to the announcement, "This withdrawal hurts both the war effort and the effort to release the hostages, because it gives Hamas hope that international pressure will allow them to accept a cease-fire without the release of our abductees."

In light of this, the Prime Minister Netanyahu has decided to cancel the delegation to Washington.

Wait, what? Without the release of the hostages?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

1- ceasefire for two weeks with vague steps for permanent ceasefire

2- removal of all obstacles to allow unlimited aid in, effectively lifting the siege of Gaza.

3- asking for all hostages to be released without specifying whos hostages by whom

overall, a neutral resolution, the win for israel is no strong 'permamnet' ceasefire wording, but the palestinians got the win of aid being allowed in with no limits and obstacles, and the lack of specific wording on the hostages gives hamas alot of wiggle room diplomatically to tie their hostage release with the israelis releasing their hostages.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

unlimited aids

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sancho Banana posted:

Wait, what? Without the release of the hostages?

the UN resolution did not actually state whos hostages has to be released by whom, the wording was neutral. this means Hamas has diplomatic wiggle room to negotiate a two-way hostage deal.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
given how turbofascist israel is even a two week ceasefire might be too much for them to accept

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Critical aid for hamas

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

can we get this image that shows which countries voted how?

wanna see who's a coward

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Al-Saqr posted:

the UN resolution did not actually state whos hostages has to be released by whom, the wording was neutral. this means Hamas has diplomatic wiggle room to negotiate a two-way hostage deal.

Wiggle room, to wiggle a few tunnels under the Knesset building hopefully.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Death to Israel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

netanyahu is pooping his pamps

=====

Netanyahu cancels Israeli delegation's visit to Washington

The Israeli Prime Minister’s Court said Benjamin Netanyahu canceled an Israeli delegation’s visit to Washington after it abstained from voting on the UN Security Council resolution demanding an immediate ceasefire in the Gaza Strip.

For his part, US National Security Council Strategic Communications Coordinator John Kirby said that the US abstention from voting on the Security Council resolution “does not represent a shift in our policy,” explaining, “We did not vote in favor of the resolution and we simply abstain because the final formula does not include enthusiastically condemnation.”

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31605;&%231606;

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

go play outside Skyler posted:

can we get this image that shows which countries voted how?

wanna see who's a coward
it was the security council, everyone voted in favor except the US who abstained

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

now thinking on it, the neutral wording on the hostage clause is extremely significant and a major loss for israel, hamas can claim many thousands of people are hostages of israel

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
It seems mostly irrelevant, is there any reason to think that Israel is going to let aid in? Or even to think that they won't just ignore it entirely?

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Flournival Dixon posted:

It seems mostly irrelevant, is there any reason to think that Israel is going to let aid in? Or even to think that they won't just ignore it entirely?

Yeah same, what happens if Israel ignores? Will UN hold them accountable?

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

So they didn't remove "permanent" entirely, rather they changed it to the more vague "lasting sustainable". The semantics here are all flexible, hence why the voting results are strange compared to other resolutions. Let's see how it plays out.

https://twitter.com/prem_thakker/status/1772272613668102509?t=PU7ykcq8Lyj8T3e0EexN0w&s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

literally 30 minutes before the UN resolution, Hamas launched rockets on Asdod, a fitting message to the israelis that on the moment of ceasefire they didnt accomplish jack poo poo

https://x.com/AJA_Palestine/status/1772281354316587426?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

just need to run out the clock until ramadan is over