Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harry_Potato posted:

You don't short sell your own shares.

I mean, he could go short buying some expensive rear end puts if anyone is selling them, but I doubt there are many people willing to loan shares for a true short-sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

big black turnout posted:

Wow bunch of doomers itt who think Trump isn't going to have to pay the full half billion
Cheering for Trump, but critically

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not dooming, because I'm not smart enough to know what any of this means.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kazil posted:

Also Trump's legal team is getting poo poo on today by the judge in his criminal case

Yeah I'm reading that as well. When God closes a door he opens an especially funny window.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

He cannot do anything with his truth social shares once the de-spacing is complete for 6 months.

Is there anything preventing him from selling discounted call options with a strike date past the delay period? I'm sure I'm missing something, but that seems like a really easy loophole around this. The restriction appears to be specifically about the transfer of the shares.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

kazil posted:

You are really dooming hard today.

Musk isn't going to do poo poo for Trump. Musk is lazy and miserly. He's had multiple chances to do anything and declined.

Also pretty generous to think Musk has 500 million dollars sitting around he could toss to Trump. Like realistically how much of Elon's wealth is liquid at this point and not tied up in his own overinflated assets?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm just tired of the Trump Shitcan being kicked down the road.

Fillet his assets already so I can lol!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Grey Cat posted:

:hmmyes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grey Cat posted:

There's a process. Nothing in the court system happens with a quickness unless someone can show that a life is in danger, and even then it is often too slow to get poo poo done.

It takes a while to fine someone half a billion.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

At least now we know what the fine is going to be reduced to on appeal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

loving. Ever. Green.

Death will be the only consequence Trump ever faces for anything because his privilege of being alive and able to commit more crimes and continue hurting other people will be permanently revoked. Other than that? gently caress you. And you'll have to wait another 20 to 30 years for it too.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a process. Nothing in the court system happens with a quickness unless someone can show that a life is in danger, and even then it is often too slow to get poo poo done.

It takes a while to fine someone half a billion.

Only if you are "rich"

The Judge would have laughed a poor out of the court for requesting this extension, ESPECIALLY after his insane antics in the first place.

Seriously, gently caress this dumb bubble country for rich fascist fucks

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

loving. Ever. Green.

Death will be the only consequence Trump ever faces for anything because his privilege of being alive and able to commit more crimes and continue hurting other people will be permanently revoked. Other than that? gently caress you. And you'll have to wait another 20 to 30 years for it too.
Trump the poor guy?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

saintonan posted:

At least now we know what the fine is going to be reduced to on appeal.

I wouldn't assume that. The appellate court isn't going to have that decision ready to go. They could very easily believe that seizure of assets from Trump will not be a problem for the NYAG.

The only big takeaway is that they are not likely to overturn Engoron's decision. The amount of the bond now is after a request from an appellant who showed, at least when taken at face value (which courts typically do for this type of motion), that the OG undertaking was not possible with his current asset makeup. Most people that request a reduction with some sort of prima facie showing is going to get a little bit of relief. That's just how courts like to split the baby at the early stages.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
wow I guess nothing matters after all

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Considering SCOTUS may ban mifepristone in June I’m not sure this stalling will help Poor Donald so much

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Junk posted:

wow I guess nothing matters after all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Trump can’t pay even $175mm lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

Trump can’t pay even $175mm lol

Well since he said pretty please, let's reduce it to $175, slash the zeros

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"'Well come on guys, we can't be mean to the ongoing fascist loon trying to overthrow democracy"

"You said you were homeless?! Go live in a CAVE! PULLYOURSELF UP BY YOUR BOOTSTRAPS"

Trash country

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

steinrokkan posted:

Well since he said pretty please, let's reduce it to $175, slash the zeros

Trump can't pay 175 dollars. He only has 3 20s in his pocket.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I wanted the rapist fraudster insurrectionist to finally suffer some actual consequences NOW, god drat it! :argh:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Here's why this is bad for Biden.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol epic

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol::lol::lol:

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not dooming, because I'm not smart enough to know what any of this means.

Trump has another 10 days before he could see any consequences. In addition, he only has to put up 1/3 of the actual fine in order to put off any other consequences for several months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Of course people are going to say that Trump "only" having to pay $175,000,000 is somehow him weaseling out of it

I mean $175,000,000 is far more likely to be something he can get conveniently loaned by an unnamed source and thus continue to delay until he potentially wins the election and can abuse his power to nosell the consequences.

It is, unfortunately, a genuine win for Trump assuming he can get that convenient loan. If he can't then lol, but otherwise it's the same thing as always, he's kicking the can down the road assuming he can win the election and then use his dictatorship to nullify all consequences. (If he CAN do that is a debate but he's made it pretty clear he intends to dictator it up.)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Aramis posted:

Is there anything preventing him from selling discounted call options with a strike date past the delay period? I'm sure I'm missing something, but that seems like a really easy loophole around this. The restriction appears to be specifically about the transfer of the shares.

I don't know how that works when you are essentially selling covered calls for a stock you aren't allow to sell if the contract gets executed

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So are they LAUGHING at Eric now asking for $175 million?

Grey Cat posted:

Trump can't pay 175 dollars. He only has 3 20s in his pocket.

Don't forget that he used one of those on a Filet-o-Fish.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Trump is poor and can't pay his bills, much like me.

Also Trump masterfully avoids consequences for his actions, something to which I aspire.

I'm NOT supposed to vote for this guy, to whom I both relate and aspire?!?!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wouldn't assume that. The appellate court isn't going to have that decision ready to go. They could very easily believe that seizure of assets from Trump will not be a problem for the NYAG.

It's a natural assumption because it makes everything clean, and there's going to be a concerted push to have the whole thing go away. Judges typically do not want to be in a political spotlight in any way, and reducing the fine to the bond amount makes things relatively neat and tidy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Do you think they'll lower and extended it again in 9 days? I do.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Post ITT everytime you LOL that Trump has to sell his babies

lol

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ImpAtom posted:

I mean $175,000,000 is far more likely to be something he can get conveniently loaned by an unnamed source and thus continue to delay until he potentially wins the election and can abuse his power to nosell the consequences.

It is, unfortunately, a genuine win for Trump assuming he can get that convenient loan. If he can't then lol, but otherwise it's the same thing as always, he's kicking the can down the road assuming he can win the election and then use his dictatorship to nullify all consequences. (If he CAN do that is a debate but he's made it pretty clear he intends to dictator it up.)

I wouldn’t be so quick to just assume that. Yes, 175 million is not 550 million, but the issue appears to be, from an outsider’s perspective, that he doesn’t have the type of collateral that bonding agencies want, which are typically cash, securities, or pledgeable revenue streams. Now it’s possible that he convinces a company that wasn’t willing to give him 550 million with Trump Tower as collateral to give him 175 million with Trump Tower as collateral, but given that he’s already pledged his brokerage account in the Carroll case, odds are some nonzero number that he can’t even get this bond. In other words, a category error may or may not be fixed by a quantity change.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He's like a sovcit whose bullshit rules lawyering actually works.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

big nipples big life posted:

Do you think they'll lower and extended it again in 9 days? I do.

That's doomer talk! Clearly the guy who never faces the consequences of his actions will surely face the consequences of his actions this time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had to take my dog to the vet today

She has been shaking violently and is absolutely terrified, and has been trying to hide under my chair

She still represents herself better than trmup did in his little pretrial speech this morning

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

cr0y posted:

I don't know how that works when you are essentially selling covered calls for a stock you aren't allow to sell if the contract gets executed

You set me on the right path to get my answer. I keep forgetting that early exercise is theoretically a thing. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
*Whew* It looked like a rich white guy was about to face real severe consequences for a minute there, loving close one America.