Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah its just a walmart with a larger automotive section functionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's a department store for burly man stuff, like hardware, sporting goods, and outdoorsy poo poo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's like home depot except that they won't have at least one of the things you needed

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Virtual Russian posted:

Do they still have their own money? I kinda feel like that was the only remarkable thing about them.

Apparently there was a bar in kitchener-waterloo that accepted canadian tire money at par.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I would simply keep my mustard free hamburgers on one staircase, and my ketchup free hamburgers on my other staircase.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Apparently there was a bar in kitchener-waterloo that accepted canadian tire money at par.

Wish I knew that when I was there haha. My dad used to collect it like crazy. He'd try to use it as money elsewhere.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
ketchup cannot go on shiny meat like a hottdog

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

pokeyman posted:

The Dunn Right Inn used to do this in Toronto.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

The Dunn Right Inn used to do this in Toronto.

There was a burger chain called The Works that would do this but only for their “Crappy Tire” burger.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Canadian Tire is actually really loving good. One of the only innovative Canadian retailers.

No matter where you live in a 10million km2 country you can probably find whatever medium quality gadget you need within driving distance, and the website will even tell you the exact shelf in the store to grab it from.

Once I got a flat in Murdochville, QC. Tried about a dozen garages and tire shops in the area, even called a bunch of dealerships with no luck, but the CT in Matane (pop 14k, and a 5 hour drive from the nearest real city) had me on the road the next afternoon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arivia posted:

There was a burger chain called The Works that would do this but only for their “Crappy Tire” burger.

The Works still has the Crappy Tire burger but lol if they'd ever accept CT cash these days.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The only Canada food review I enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UzKXbuAsM4

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
he's got the voice modulator stuck on pierre poilievre

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Protest for the Junos since Hali cleared all the downtown homeless camps like three weeks before the awards show. Was a good turnout but very funny moment when the cops asked people to clear the street and everyone meekly did while chanting 'Our Streets' lol. Anyway that seemed to have killed it oh well

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Canadian Tire is actually really loving good. One of the only innovative Canadian retailers.

No matter where you live in a 10million km2 country you can probably find whatever medium quality gadget you need within driving distance, and the website will even tell you the exact shelf in the store to grab it from.

Once I got a flat in Murdochville, QC. Tried about a dozen garages and tire shops in the area, even called a bunch of dealerships with no luck, but the CT in Matane (pop 14k, and a 5 hour drive from the nearest real city) had me on the road the next afternoon.

In my experience, their inventory tracking is pretty notional, so as often as not they'll tell you they have a number in stock and the location of an empty shelf where it should be in some idealized alternate canadian tire. Maybe it's just somewhere else in the store, no one knows. Certainly not any of the employees, if you can find one (last time I was in a crappy tire there wasn't even anyone at the cash).

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

COPE 27 posted:

Umm the bustling metropolis of Rimouski is only an hour away from Matane

Kind of serious.. they are getting a Costco!

Math You has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Mar 25, 2024

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I love the place, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Canadian product at Canadian Tire. You’d think with a name like that they’d be willing to sell something we make here oh wait I think I just figured it out

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Sept iles has a Canadian tire on the outskirts of town, and on the outskirts of that they have a new Walmart

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Two big box stores for seven islands sounds reasonable to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Canadien Pneus.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Canadian Tire has decent selection and prices as long as you know what you're doing. Because the 12 year olds that work there definitely don't. Like when they bring a car part from the back room, open that poo poo and look at it; the guy who brought it to you can't tell a spark plug from an air filter and might have just grabbed whatever. And call head to make sure they actually physically have the part, because the online inventory system is a big fat liar and personally hates you.

A lot of the Mastercraft tools are pretty garbage quality, but most of them have the lifetime warranty thing, and they do actually honour it, so you can just beat on them and exchange them when they finally give up. And if you wait for those pink tag sales, you can actually get a pretty good deal on a mediocre ratchet set or whatever.

And never get work done in the auto shop. Never ever. It's staffed by the greenest automotive techs I've ever seen.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canadien Pneus.

thread title

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Karach posted:

It's staffed by the greenest automotive techs I've ever seen.

everybody's gotta start somewhere, man

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

everybody's gotta start somewhere, man

They can start with somebody else's car, not with my 2007 Civic. :colbert:

They don't appreciate all the intricacies of a lovingly seasoned vintage econobox.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dougie tripling down on not knowing what a fourplex is this morning. The reporter explicitly asked him "how do you feel about two story buildings with four units, also called a Fourplex?" and he replied "BONNIE CROMBIE WANTS TO FORCE YOU TO SELL YOUR HOUSE SO THEY CAN BUILD A FOUR STOREY SKYSCRAPER"

Arc Hammer has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Mar 25, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

a primate posted:

I love the place, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Canadian product at Canadian Tire. You’d think with a name like that they’d be willing to sell something we make here oh wait I think I just figured it out

they sell tons of oil

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arc Hammer posted:

Dpugie tripling down on not knowing what a fourplex is this morning. The reporter explicitly asked him "how do you feel about two story buildings with four units, also called a Fourplex?" and he replied "BONNIE CROMBIE WANTS TO FORCE YOU TO SELL YOUR HOUSE SO THEY CAN BUILD A FOUR STOREY SKYSCRAPER"

i'm trying to imagine who's lobbying him against fourplexes.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have to imagine the rate of return for SFH suburb builders (aka wedding guests) is way more than fourplexes. Big chunks of land with oversized houses that some realtor can flip for low-mid seven figgies

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

At Canadian Tire you can never find a helpful employee but someone will come up to you trying to sell you a credit card every 3 minutes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

London Drugs is also great and I think they treat their employees a little better

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

canadian tire is absolute dogshit

london drugs is the only remaining good canadian "big box"-style store

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

London Drugs was ftw as a kid. Sneaking away from mom to go hang in the cool gamers room in the back

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DaysBefore posted:

I have to imagine the rate of return for SFH suburb builders (aka wedding guests) is way more than fourplexes. Big chunks of land with oversized houses that some realtor can flip for low-mid seven figgies

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
The best big box stores are the ones that are easiest to steal from

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Karach posted:

The best big box stores are the ones that are easiest to steal from

RIP Zellers

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh I see those Ontario cops that shot a baby to death got off scot free. That's cool

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DaysBefore posted:

Oh I see those Ontario cops that shot a baby to death got off scot free. That's cool

If they hadn't opened fire on that armed guy they thought was alone in his parked truck on a rural road, somebody might have gotten hurt!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

gonna be honest, the released video/audio (I just read the transcripts cbc had up) makes it seem like an honest unfortunate death. father had a gun he was waving around and threatening people with, cops tried to stop his car with a spike strip, father ran over a cop, other cops fired at the guy with a gun who had just tried to kill one of them. after the father was stopped, it turned out he’d had the kid on his lap in the car and the kid got hit with a bullet from the cops shooting the father.

I know I know Acab and all that but this was cops shooting back to protect themselves against a guy with two deadly weapons he was using (gun and car). not much else that could be done, and it’s the father who decided to take a baby hostage and use it as body armor.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

quote:

Updates come in. Shapiro is on the move, driving a rust-coloured 2016 Toyota Tundra. OPP Const. Nathan Vanderheyden, among the first to respond, spots the truck in North Bobcaygeon, heading west on a rural, two-lane highway called Pigeon Lake Road.

“I’m just keeping my distance, in case he tries to fire rounds or something,” Vanderheyden said. “Did we confirm, does he have the son? I just — I’m not sure if we should maybe terminate it, if he’s got a child.”

Ok so the first cop on the scene thinks maybe tailing the guy at a distance is wise and even considers terminating it (the chase, not the child, ideally), while the others go set up a Need For Speed roadblock with spike strips. Cool, cool.

Another Bill posted:

If they hadn't opened fire on that armed guy they thought was alone in his parked truck on a rural road, somebody might have gotten hurt!

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...2cef61da45.html

That's not really what the article describes though, he was speeding dangerously and crashed into a cop car at a roadblock (but then why not lay spike strips and keep the cars at a distance?).

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
They knew the baby was in the car. They opened fire anyway.